DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   The Strokes: First Impressions Of Earth - Early 2006 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/437904-strokes-first-impressions-earth-early-2006-a.html)

auto 09-14-05 10:02 AM

The Strokes: First Impressions Of Earth - Early 2006

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...CLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Due January 3, 2006

Tracklisting:
1. You Only Live Once
2. Juicebox
3. Heart in a Cage
4. Razorblade
5. On the Other Side
6. Vision of Division
7. Ask Me Anything
8. Electricityscape
9. Killing Lies
10. Fear of Sleep
11. 15 Minutes
12. Ize of the World
13. Evening Sun
14. Red Light

from NME:

The Strokes are back

NYC’s finest give third album a title – and UK shows are planned too
The Strokes have given their third album the working title ‘First Impressions Of Earth’ – and are planning UK dates for February.

NME.COM can reveal that the band have now almost completed their third album, which is due for release at the start of next year.

The first single from the album, ‘Juice Box’, is tentatively scheduled for release in November.

Speaking to NME.COM in New York, singer Julian Casablancas said: “The album’s kind of about how someone from outer space would objectively view things happening on earth.”

The single, ‘Juice Box’, has a menacing bassline running through it, giving it an air of suspense like a classic detective TV show theme tune. Julian starts off with an almost spoken word verse, while huge, metal-sized riffs explode around him. Then his singing turns into a primal roar for a chorus with the lyrics “Why won't you come over here/we've got a city to love”.

Explaining the meaning behind the track, Julian continued: “The single could be about a proper relationship, a casual friendship or whatever you want really. It’s one of the more fun songs. The title just sounded like a cool word. It was originally called ‘Dracula's Lunch’, but I liked the sound of ‘Juice Box’.”

and some older news:

JULIAN CASABLANCAS REVEALS ALL ABOUT THE STROKES' NEW ALBUM
The singer spills the beans on the follow-up to 2003's 'Room On Fire'...
THE STROKES frontman JULIAN CASABLANCAS has given fans the inside story on the band's eagerly-awaited third album.

Since 2003's 'Room On Fire', the band have ditched long-term producer Gordon Raphael in favour of David Khane, who has worked with Sugar Ray.

Now with the record nearing completion, Casablancas told the Alone, Together fanclub that Khane has taught the band to expand their canvas musically.

He said: "I think (Khane is) really cool. I think when you first meet him though, you can get caught in the façade. He has a very technical knowledge and he'll be very quick to casually spew it out. You might think he's just some serious slick hit-maker and that he doesn't care about music, but that's what he's all about: music. He cares about it so deeply that if you change a little part, and you're hurting the song, he'll cry.

"He likes that atonal modern stuff, so he doesn't mind being weird and original, and that's what he prays for. But then he doesn't mind being weird and original, and that's what he prays for.

"But then, sometimes something that just has a cool thing that's not popular, he'll want to transform it into something that could be more accessible, but all its coolness is erased. That's the main compromise that we have trouble with. I mean sure, I understand on every mindless level why it's like, pleasant, but no, it's not what I want to sing. It's the difference between lame and cool."

The Strokes are currently mixing tracks for the as-yet-untitled record in New York. Tracks so far confirmed for inclusion are 'Vision Of Division', 'Razor Blade' and 'Ask Me Anything'

Casablancas continued: "Some things on the drums are going to be tricky, and Albert (Hammond Jnr, guitars) may have to mimic two rhythms at times, but it's all do-able. It's not like we have a lute and a harp and it's going to be there live. There's delay on it. I never liked it, but now it's sort of everywhere on the record. Not crazy eighties reverb, just enough to give a lot of the instruments space so it sounds fuller, bigger, and louder, and what I used to call 'More professional'."

whynotsmile 09-14-05 01:50 PM

i think their time is done. I like the strokes, but I doubt they will be half as popular as they once were. Maybe not though...

meritocracy 09-14-05 02:13 PM

I'm not a fan really. Enjoyed a couple of tracks off each album, but always found them terribly overhyped. Regardless, I'll check it out.

Applejack 09-14-05 04:31 PM

I'm pretty excited about this one. I thought the other 2 albums were great.

Guess I'm one of the few who stuck through the inevitable backlash.

lostatmidnight 09-14-05 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Applejack
I'm pretty excited about this one. I thought the other 2 albums were great.

Guess I'm one of the few who stuck through the inevitable backlash.

I wouldn't call it backlash, but in comparisions to "This is It" and "Room on Fire" it's more of a realization: these boys seemed to know only a few arrangements and cords...it became tiresome, an imitation of themselves.

MrKen 09-15-05 01:27 AM

Picked up a Strokes CD used for $1.99 a few weeks ago, and gave it about 20 plays already. Didnt' even think to check for another release.

Anyway, the one I picked up is fantastic. I could see people saying the music is repetitive though. Then again, I've listened to it 20 times in three weeks, so I guess that contributes to it.

custom001 09-15-05 04:30 AM

Release date is planned for January 23.

Randy Miller III 09-15-05 07:47 AM

Awesome---loved their first two efforts, and I'm sure this'll be up to par. :up:

atlantamoi 09-15-05 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by lostatmidnight
I wouldn't call it backlash, but in comparisions to "This is It" and "Room on Fire" it's more of a realization: these boys seemed to know only a few arrangements and cords...it became tiresome, an imitation of themselves.

There is some similarity, but not entirely the same. I think both discs are fantastic. If they want to continue their VU and Cars fixation I'm sure I'll be right there with them.

DamingR 09-15-05 11:29 PM

I didn't really like Room on Fire that much, but the stupid thing grew on me, and now there are only 2 tracks that I wouldn't call excellent.

Cornelius1047 09-16-05 12:33 AM

Wow. To me, Is This It was an album that actually lived up to the hype. It's probably still in my top 10. And Room On Fire is almost just as good. If the third is half as good as their first two, I'll be fine with that. Can't wait.

K

The Bus 09-16-05 08:54 AM

I refused to listen to the Strokes until almost a year after Room on Fire came out, dismissing them as overhyped loons. I was surprised to see how deep their work was (as far as number of good songs per album). I'm sad to hear they scrapped their live album. Can't wait for this new one.

auto 10-11-05 03:27 PM

from pitchforkmedia:

Strokes Confirm Album Title, Release Date, Tracks
Amy Phillips reports:
Julian Casablancas, the rumors are true: On January 3, fashion plates/punching bags the Strokes will release their hotly anticipated third album, entitled First Impressions of Earth. It's said to be "heavier" and "more diverse" than the group's two previous full-lengths, but whose third record isn't? We're also guessing it's "more soulful" and "the album the band has always wanted to make." The disc will contain the following songs, but not necessarily in this order:

You Only Live Once
Juicebox
Heart in a Cage
Razor Blade
On the Other Side
Electricityscape
Killing Lies
Fearo Sleep
15 Minutes
Vision of Division
Red Light
Evening Sun
The Ize of the World
Ask Me Anything

But don't get your hopes up, folks. The utterly horrendous first single "Juicebox" was released to radio last week. It sounds like Weezer's "Hash Pipe", but worse, and makes me never want to punch a plastic straw through a foil hole ever again. First Impressions of Earth was produced by David Kahne, who has brought the magic sounds of winners like Fishbone, Sugar Ray, 311, and Sublime to life. Longtime Strokes producer Gordon Raphael handled three tracks, however, so maybe they'll at least sound like the French Kicks.

The Strokes currently have a brief festival tour of South America scheduled for later this month, with buzz-gathering club shows in Europe, the UK, Japan, Australia, and North America, as well as a large-scale U.S. tour, in the works. Watch the pretty boys stand in one place and do the same motions over and over again, but in a tropical setting, here:

10-21 Rio de Janeiro, Brazil - Museum of Modern Art
10-22 Rio de Janeiro, Brazil - Armazem 5 Cais Do Porto
10-23 Sao Paulo, Brazil - Sambodromo Anhembi
10-25 Porto Alegre, Brazil - Pavihao Em Frente Ao Aeroporto
10-28 Buenos Aires, Argentina - Club Ciudad
10-29 Santiago, Chile - Espacio Riesco

Randy Miller III 10-11-05 03:40 PM

Nothing like an unbiased news announcement from those whiners at Pitchfork. :rolleyes:

TripWire 10-11-05 04:10 PM

eh I'm not too much of a strokes fan..and just to add to it, here's a casting email sent out for their vid that I came across in nyc...sounds way too hipster cliche'd
Seeking featured talent for the new Strokes video shooting this weekend.

DO NOT NOT NOT E-mail me here - follow instructions below.

IMPORTANT: The video is cutting edge and we are looking for talent that is
comfortable with getting physical on set. Do not submit if you are uncomfortable
making-out with members of the same/opposite sex (depending on scene.)

Please denote the role you want to be considered for.

SOCIALITE Aging Female, Caucasian, 60-70 years old.

Example: Lauren Bacall

LESBIANS, 20s-30’s, “Victoria Secret” model-type lesbians, prefer Caucasian.
The scene involves kissing and being affectionate with another woman.

AD EXECUTIVE FEMALE, Caucasian, sexy, 40’s (reference: Kim Cattrall)

The scene involves an aggressive make-out session in a taxi with another male.

HEROINE CHIQ HIPSTER MALE, Caucasian, 20’s-30’s (reference: Nick Stahl in “Bully”)
The scene involves an aggressive make-out session in a taxi with another female.

GAY MALE COUPLE Good-looking, East-village type exhibitionist males, 20’s-30’s, any
ethnicity.

The scene involves an aggressive make-out session between to males.

GRAFFITI ARTIST street-punk skater guy, any ethnicity, 20s-30’s
Must be real Graffiti artist

INNOCENT COUPLE IN LOVE Young, 17-21, Caucasian male and female, natural, plain, and
innocent – can have braces. The scene involves dialogue.

(reference: The couple in Green Day’s “When September Ends” video)

CAB DRIVER, Male, Caucasian, late 40’s-early 60’s, with an interesting face or
striking blue eyes.

HOT COUPLE, male and female, mid-20’s, must be hot, sexy, rock n’ roll, downtown
hipster.

The scene involves an aggressive make-out session between the couple.

If interested or available, please submit recent photo and contact information to:

[email protected]

Auditions: Thurs. Oct. 13 (Yom Kippur)

Callbacks: Possibly Fri. Oct. 14

Shoots: Sunday Oct. 16 and/or Monday Oct. 17 (could be a night shoot for Monday)

Rate: $200

Submisison Deadline: Oct. 15, 2005

BDB 10-11-05 04:44 PM

You only live once is very very catchy...

The Black 10-11-05 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
You only live once is very very catchy...

I LOVE it :)
Juicebox left me somewhat dissapointed, although the "you're so cold" parts sounded great.

starseed1981 10-11-05 05:02 PM

I really like "Juicebox" , very raunchy:)

Tarantino 10-14-05 12:54 AM

I've bought maybe five CD's in the last five years. Two of them have been the Strokes albums.

The new one will be number six.

= J

Slowpc 10-14-05 10:55 AM

Well , juicebox sounds pretty good. I think it will grow a little bit more on me the more I hear it.

auto 11-29-05 07:25 PM

Artwork:
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...CLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Tracklisting:

1 You Only Live Once
2 Juicebox
3 Heart in a Cage
4 Razorblade
5 On the Other Side
6 Vision of Division
7 Ask Me Anything
8 Electricityscape
9 Killing Lies
10 Fear of Sleep
11 15 Minutes
12 Ize of the World
13 Evening Sun
14 Red Light

Mr. Cinema 11-29-05 07:53 PM

I'll be picking this up. Enjoyed their previous 2 efforts and that new single is catchy as hell!

Flynn 11-30-05 02:44 AM

Can't wait for this album.

atlantamoi 12-03-05 09:04 AM

Just heard it. Slower. Mesh Pavement with Television a bit. I don't like it as much as the first two albums, but didn't really expect them to try a third album along the same lines. I'm curious what other Strokes fans will think.

Tommy Ceez 12-03-05 07:05 PM

JuiceBox is getting alot of play on XM...not a bad song, doesnt really sound like the stuff thier known for, but I might be the worst person on earth at describing music, so move along