Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Echo & the Bunnymen: Siberia - 9/20/05

Old 09-12-05, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Echo & the Bunnymen: Siberia - 9/20/05

Echo & the Bunnymen emerge from 'Siberia' By Steve Adams
Mon Sep 12, 7:31 AM ET

LONDON (Billboard) - U.K. rock act Echo & the Bunnymen will release their new album, "Siberia," in the United States on September 20, and will begin a North American tour in Washington D.C. on November 18.

Lead singer Ian McCulloch believes longtime fans are likely to be especially pleased with the 11-track Cooking Vinyl USA release, which is highlighted by the jangling, nostalgic opener "Stormy Weather," the self-searching, strident "Parthenon Drive" and the classic Bunnymen rocker "Sideways Eight."

The video for "Stormy Weather" can be viewed at http://www.bunnymen.com.

"The band we've got around us now are the closest to the old Bunnymen we've ever had," he tells Billboard. "Not that we've intentionally set out to capture the past in any way. We've tried to be a little less structured in the songwriting, but not forgetting the importance of a good song. We've got the balance here, I think."

The recruitment of producer Hugh Jones is also a nod to the band's past -- he last worked with the act on 1981's sophomore set, "Heaven Up Here." "Having Hugh on board has been great -- it's as if he's a sort of glue fitting everything together," says guitarist Will Sergeant. "We haven't had that luxury for a while, because we've produced ourselves the last few times."

McCulloch and company kick off a 15-date U.K. and European tour October 22 in Nottingham, England, followed by 16 North American dates. Cooking Vinyl says live work will continue through summer 2006.

Reuters/Billboard
Old 09-12-05, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

excellent news

I'm really looking forward to this one...
Old 09-12-05, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Awesome!

Echo & the Bunnymen is one band that has stayed true to its roots and still is as good as they were when they started many years ago.

(Disappointing, though, that their U.S. tour is so limited)
Old 09-12-05, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

great, the one time i saw them (hfstival of this year) the singer was probably stoned out of his mind, played half a song, walked off, came back on asked the audience for help, and walked off again.
Old 09-13-05, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Bring it on!
Old 09-15-05, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm just getting into Echo...I've always liked the songs, though I never knew who it was that made them, and now that I know that like 3 songs I like are by them, I want to pick up some discs...where should I start? Greatest hits, then buy individual albums? Or start with the one that has lips like sugar?

Advice please!
Old 09-15-05, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I got my tickets to the December 6th show at House of Blues. I can't wait.
Old 09-15-05, 10:18 AM

the show for some reason is at the Black Cat here in DC, a venue I really really don't like.
Old 09-20-05, 02:13 PM

oh just shoot me in the head - my Best Buy two blocks away from my job - didn't get the new album in stock. ( huff! I wanted to purchase and listen to it today, guess I'll go all way down to Borders or tomorrow to Olssons' and pick up the new album).
Old 09-21-05, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by lordzeppelin
I'm just getting into Echo...I've always liked the songs, though I never knew who it was that made them, and now that I know that like 3 songs I like are by them, I want to pick up some discs...where should I start? Greatest hits, then buy individual albums? Or start with the one that has lips like sugar?

Advice please!
Start with any of the first 4 albums, then get the new one, then pick up the s/t album (with "Lips Like Sugar"), followed by "Reverberation" and the other post-reunion albums.