DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Alanis Morissette : "Greatest Hits" (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/437323-alanis-morissette-greatest-hits.html)

Cottington 09-09-05 08:12 AM

Alanis Morissette : "Greatest Hits"

The CD is yet untitled, but Alanis Utopia has revealed the official tracklisting for the set to be released in November. The US version is a single disc, but the EU version is a 2-CD with Disc Two being a concert recorded in Vancouver. Sounds good, overall. The lead single is a cover of "Crazy" by Seal.

Tracklist - US Version

The Singles 95-05

1 All I Really Want
2 Still
3 Eight Easy Steps
4 You Oughta Know
5 Uninvited
6 Thank U
7 Hands Clean
8 Hand In My Pocket
9 Knees Of My Bees
10 Precious Illusions
11 You Learn
12 Simple Together
13 Head Over Feet
14 Ironic
15 Everything
16 Unsent
17 So Pure
18 Crazy
19 Finally, Acknowledgement

Tracklist - EU Version

CD 1 - The Singles 95-05

1 All I Really Want
2 Still
3 You Oughta Know
4 Uninvited
5 Out Is Through
6 Thank U
7 Hands Clean
8 Hand In My Pocket
9 Knees Of My Bees
10 Precious Illusions
11 You Learn
12 Simple Together
13 Head Over Feet
14 Ironic
15 Everything
16 So Pure
17 Joining You
18 Crazy
19 Finally, Acknowledgement

Disc 2 - The Vancouver Sessions

1 Precious Illusions
2 So Unsexy
3 Everything
4 Spineless
5 Eight Easy Steps
6 This Grudge
7 A Man
8 Out Is Through
9 You Oughta Know
10 Still
11 Sister Blister
12 Excuses
13 Knees Of My Bees
14 So-Called Chaos

What do we think of the list?

PerryD 09-09-05 08:14 AM

I'm more interested in the live disc myself. Sister Blister is one of my favorite songs, the heaviest song she's done since her first album.

Canis Firebrand 09-09-05 09:10 AM

Great news. I'll definetly have to pick up the EU release.

Nice looking song list. Maybe a few I wouldn't have included, and a few I would have that aren't on the list.
But overall, it hits all the big songs and ones that I enjoy.

DVD Josh 09-09-05 01:20 PM

I have to say, GH collections are worthless to fans with all the albums. And Alanis makes great albums.

But for the casual fan, a good pickup.

Cottington 09-09-05 02:29 PM

I wouldn't say that Alanis makes great albums. Things havent been looking that great since 'Under Rug Swept'. I thought 'So Called Chaos' was mediocre at best..... her non-album work is excellent though - such as the stuff for the 'Dogma' soundtrack.

Excited to hear her cover of 'Crazy' by Seal though.

Rogue588 09-09-05 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Cottington
Excited to hear her cover of 'Crazy' by Seal though.

After hearing her rave about it on the Gap commercials, it doesn't surprise me. Wonder if it'll be on the Gap's "special" CD..

dolphinboy 09-09-05 11:51 PM

Is the import version going to be sold here for a reasonable price or like 39.99 or some crazy price?

I imagine it will be reasonable priced at amazon uk if they don't sell it locally for just a bit more than the regular version.

Southside 09-10-05 05:06 AM

Don't go by Alanis Utopia...someone there is bullsh*tting.

While a greatest hits is on the works, that isn't the official tracklisting. Alanis did say that she is going to add things from her "early years" aka pop days in canada, so that should be interesting.

Crazy is on the gap cd and she does cover the song well; her vocals are great in some spots and good in others.

Rogue588 09-10-05 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Southside
Alanis did say that she is going to add things from her "early years" aka pop days in canada, so that should be interesting.

Interesting? That sounds downright unbelieveable..IIRC, didn't she want each and every copy destroyed or something like that..?

Canis Firebrand 09-12-05 06:41 AM

I hope there aren't songs from that era on the greatest hits cd. I have the cd and all I can say about it is that I'm glad she didn't stick in that type of music. Its not horrible, but it isn't great either.

So maybe Uncle Joey was a good thing for her. Otherwise the Alanis we all know now, might never have existed.

Cottington 09-12-05 08:02 AM

I seriously dont see any of her material pre-JLP on it. I have those albums and there is no WAY she could do it, even if she were 'fond' of that material. Considering there arent any real hits on any of those records, they would be misplaced on this compilation. The above tracklisting is definitely real, Alanis Utopia is rarely wrong, and I am thus very excited about this release. Its been already listed on amazon.com as 'the collection'.

gerrythedon 09-27-05 03:44 PM

Morissette Looks Back With 'The Collection'

Alanis Morissette's cover of Seal's "Crazy" will precede the Nov. 15 Maverick release of the retrospective "The Collection," Billboard.com can exclusively reveal. The 19-track album will be available as an enhanced single-disc set and a double-disc package with an hour-long documentary DVD.

Aside from such hits as "You Oughta Know," "Hand in My Pocket," "Ironic," "Hands Clean" and "Thank U," the album features Morissette's contributions to soundtracks for "Dogma," "De-Lovely" and "City of Angels," plus a track she recorded for the compilation "The Prayer Cycle."

Morissette was first heard reinterpreting "Crazy" earlier this summer as part of Gap's "Favorites" campaign. The track was available on a CD distributed only in Gap stores this month.

"Ultimately, I put this collection record together to have something to show my great-grandkids one day, and to reflect with objectivity on my own evolution as a writer and singer," Morissette says.

Here is the track list for "The Collection":

"Thank U"
"Head Over Feet"
"Eight Easy Steps"
"Everything"
"Crazy"
"Ironic"
"Princes Familiar"
"You Learn"
"Simple Together"
"You Oughta Know"
"That I Would Be Good"
"Sister Blister"
"So Unsexy"
"Hands Clean"
"Mercy"
"Still"
"Uninvited"
"Let's Do It, Let's Fall in Love"
"Hand In My Pocket"

BILLBOARD.com

Numanoid 09-27-05 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
"Ultimately, I put this collection record together to have something to show my great-grandkids one day, and to reflect with objectivity on my own evolution as a writer and singer," Morissette says.

You know, I really do like Alanis, but she sure is a ditzy hippie chick sometimes.

Frank TJ Mackey 09-30-05 02:53 AM

Who in their right mind would buy this thing? You already have all the albums. I'll find another way of getting the cover of Seal's "Crazy."

I've spent too much money on this woman to fork over more bucks.

If she tours with Ryan Adams again, then I'll go see her again.

And where in the hell is "Flinch" and "That Particular Time"? Two great ballads from Under Rug Swept that should've been included.

dolphinboy 09-30-05 04:59 PM

I'm buying the import for sure, but, like the previous poster mentioned, "Flinch" should have been on at least 1 of the 2 discs.

dolphinboy 10-01-05 08:52 PM

So, can someone help me with a few questions on this release?

Are there actually 3 releases, if you include the import version?

1-being the basic cd
2-being the basic with documentary, which is called the limited edition version
3-the import version with the live show on a 2nd cd

Is that it?

Does the import also have the documentary or do I lose the doc to get the live show?

Also, where is the import from? It's almost $40 for the import at amazon, so I went to Amazon.uk and they had it listed as an import too for pretty much the same price. I don't get that.

Usually you can get a better deal buying an import from amazon.uk even with the shipping than you can by just getting it here. But I thought the Import was from England and they have it listed as imported too.

PS-Thinking about it now, I think the two listings in the UK are for the regular US version and the LE US version, but they don't seem to have a listing for the version that Amazon (US) shows. They have all 3 on their site, but no specific info on all 3 releases. Why wouldn't amazon.uk have the EU version? I can't seem to find it anywhere. Is this just a rumored release? It would suck to have to buy the LE for the doc and the import for the live cd, but I love her, so I'm getting both if I have to.

I'd sure like to find a decent deal on the import...if there is one, though.

Thanks.

Southside 10-02-05 02:54 AM

There will be a regular one cd version that will include some enhanced stuff, of which i do not know.

There will also be a limited edition cd/dvd set...dvd will have 1 hour docu.

The import is from japan and will include a 'bonus track', which i think will just be a different mix of Crazy.

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
So, can someone help me with a few questions on this release?

Are there actually 3 releases, if you include the import version?

1-being the basic cd
2-being the basic with documentary, which is called the limited edition version
3-the import version with the live show on a 2nd cd

Is that it?

Does the import also have the documentary or do I lose the doc to get the live show?

Also, where is the import from? It's almost $40 for the import at amazon, so I went to Amazon.uk and they had it listed as an import too for pretty much the same price. I don't get that.

Usually you can get a better deal buying an import from amazon.uk even with the shipping than you can by just getting it here. But I thought the Import was from England and they have it listed as imported too.

PS-Thinking about it now, I think the two listings in the UK are for the regular US version and the LE US version, but they don't seem to have a listing for the version that Amazon (US) shows. They have all 3 on their site, but no specific info on all 3 releases. Why wouldn't amazon.uk have the EU version? I can't seem to find it anywhere. Is this just a rumored release? It would suck to have to buy the LE for the doc and the import for the live cd, but I love her, so I'm getting both if I have to.

I'd sure like to find a decent deal on the import...if there is one, though.

Thanks.

dolphinboy 10-02-05 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Southside
There will be a regular one cd version that will include some enhanced stuff, of which i do not know.

There will also be a limited edition cd/dvd set...dvd will have 1 hour docu.

The import is from japan and will include a 'bonus track', which i think will just be a different mix of Crazy.

So the import doesn't include a live show on a 2nd cd?

dvd_luver 12-06-05 04:18 PM

I waited for the Limited Edition to come out today. I am so disgusted that they couldn't put any videos on the damn dvd! I feel like that would have made this collection the perfect Alanis hits compilation. There is a video of "Ironic" on there but it is a reinactment of the actual video with 2 little girls, it was different.

But, this is simply ridiculous of Alanis to not put any actual music videos on this dvd. She is saving them for obviously a video collection one day, in the meantime a collection of her body of work exists with a dvd that could have embodied it.

Damn shame they got to do that. I want the videos!

Decker 12-07-05 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by dvd_luver
I waited for the Limited Edition to come out today. I am so disgusted that they couldn't put any videos on the damn dvd! I feel like that would have made this collection the perfect Alanis hits compilation. There is a video of "Ironic" on there but it is a reinactment of the actual video with 2 little girls, it was different.

But, this is simply ridiculous of Alanis to not put any actual music videos on this dvd. She is saving them for obviously a video collection one day, in the meantime a collection of her body of work exists with a dvd that could have embodied it.

Damn shame they got to do that. I want the videos!

So what's actually on the DVD?

dolphinboy 12-07-05 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Decker
So what's actually on the DVD?

Disc: 2
1. 1 hour documentary tracing the time period from Jagged Little Pill through to the present.

There also is no 2 disc version with the Vancouver Sessions.