Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Napster = A Huge Disappointment

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 09-06-05, 10:40 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Napster had a free trial over the labor day weekend, so I figured I'd give a shot. I found it to be a big disappointment overall.

First off, the program is a bloated POS. It's slower than molasses than January. Everytime I click something there's a huge pause before it responds. There are far better programs out there that work much faster (iTunes for instance).

The website makes it sound like for $9.95 a month, you have unlimited access to as many songs as you like ("We Free you from paying 99 cents a song!"). This isn't really true, as I soon found out. First, I tried to burn a CD...nope, can't do that unless you BUY all the songs you are burning. Secondly, not all songs are covered. I found several that were "Buy Only"...you can't even download them unless you pay. What?! Might as well go with a no-fee service.

Granted, they do have a $14.95 service that lets you put as many songs as you want on your MP3 player. That seems like a pretty good deal if you download 15 songs or more a month. But I imagine that there's some sort of "catch" to that program too, just as there was for the $9.95 service.

Not impressed, but I'm thankful for the free trial so I could see what the service was like.
Old 09-06-05, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't tried it, but I believe once you cancel your subscription there are codes in the mp3s which make them unplayable.
Old 09-06-05, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by scottall
I haven't tried it, but I believe once you cancel your subscription there are codes in the mp3s which make them unplayable.
This is correct, but I understood that part going in.
Old 09-06-05, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Rhapsody service is exactly the same. I did the free trial and downloaded a ton of songs, but found I needed to pay to burn them to CD. Of course, there are ways around paying to burn them, as I figured out, but since it's real-time, it can take awhile. But I am cheap.

BTW - cancelling the Rhapsody free trial practically takes a miracle from God (they will NOT let you off the phone until you've either bought the service or agree to extend your free trial so you have to call back again to cancel).
Old 09-06-05, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wasn't Napster free for years before? Not just a weekend trial?
Old 09-06-05, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ask Lars Ulrich about that.
Old 09-06-05, 03:51 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Aphex Twin
Wasn't Napster free for years before? Not just a weekend trial?
This new Napster and the old one share a name, a logo, and a mascot, that's about it.
Old 09-06-05, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
CHeap?

www.allofmp3.com
Old 09-06-05, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 188 Likes on 126 Posts
Yup, it sucks. The worst part? Even after you BUY the songs you can only burn them as one long track which prevents you from skipping from track to track - absolutely horrible.
Old 09-06-05, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Napster had a free trial over the labor day weekend, so I figured I'd give a shot. I found it to be a big disappointment overall.

First off, the program is a bloated POS. It's slower than molasses than January. Everytime I click something there's a huge pause before it responds. There are far better programs out there that work much faster (iTunes for instance).

The website makes it sound like for $9.95 a month, you have unlimited access to as many songs as you like ("We Free you from paying 99 cents a song!"). This isn't really true, as I soon found out. First, I tried to burn a CD...nope, can't do that unless you BUY all the songs you are burning. Secondly, not all songs are covered. I found several that were "Buy Only"...you can't even download them unless you pay. What?! Might as well go with a no-fee service.

Granted, they do have a $14.95 service that lets you put as many songs as you want on your MP3 player. That seems like a pretty good deal if you download 15 songs or more a month. But I imagine that there's some sort of "catch" to that program too, just as there was for the $9.95 service.

Not impressed, but I'm thankful for the free trial so I could see what the service was like.

Great post. Your posts always crack me up.
Old 09-06-05, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The company I work for was one of the main sponsors in getting this legal Napster off the ground in Canada, so I was comped a few months. When it came time to pay, I cancelled. I just found that there wasn't enough new music monthly to warrant the monthly fee, especially since I have everything I wanted up until that point.

The program itself was horrible. Also, in the US, if you signed up for a full year, you would get a free MP3 player. In Canada, if we signed up, we got five free MP3s.
Old 09-06-05, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts
The studios simultaneously shot themselves in the foot and fucked themselves in the ass when they had the old Napster shutdown. If they had all joined together and set a fair plan with Napster then, everyone last one of those studio heads would be sitting on a solid gold crapper at this point. I see these big corporations make these mistakes over and over, and I can't believe no one ever learns from their (or even others' ) mistakes.
Old 09-06-05, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by SleepyW
The Rhapsody service is exactly the same. I did the free trial and downloaded a ton of songs, but found I needed to pay to burn them to CD. Of course, there are ways around paying to burn them, as I figured out, but since it's real-time, it can take awhile. But I am cheap.
I'm right there with you .
Old 09-06-05, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rival11
Yup, it sucks. The worst part? Even after you BUY the songs you can only burn them as one long track which prevents you from skipping from track to track - absolutely horrible.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean? If you buy a song it makes it one track? Isn't that how all mp3s are?

If you mean -- the album, that's simply not true. I've bought about 3 albums from Napster and have burned them to CD -- and they are seperate tracks and you can skip from track to track... Not sure what you're talking about.

As for Napster... I prefer them to ITunes because I don't have an iPod and I like that their WMV files play great on my Creative Zen. I've never had a problem with them. I think their software is a little bloated, but so is Itunes. I use Itunes for downloading Podcasts, but if I were to buy some songs or an album, I'd go with Napster.
Old 09-07-05, 01:08 AM

Any program that doesn't sync up with my iPod isn't worth my time.

iTunes pretty much has me covered between podcasts, "exclusive" material and overall ease of use; whatever I can't get there, I buy in-store.
Old 09-07-05, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
I gotta go with DodgingCars on this one. I've downloaded/purchased lots of songs through Napster, and they all exist on my hard drive as individual songs, and burned onto CD or uploaded to my mp3 player just as individually.

Maybe you have a problem with your burning software or something.
Old 09-07-05, 01:45 AM

You're experiencing those issues cause it was a lbor day free trial. You could download mostly all you want but burning etc. was restricted. Otherwise I think both itunes and napster are great.
Old 09-07-05, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That seems kinda lame. Let people use a crippled product as a trial, and they assume it's always that way and will therefore never use it after that. I'm not saying everyone, just many folks, and probably the actual target market.

I'm sure there were some who spent 23 of the 24 hours "grabbing and burning", but they never would have signed up anyway. Offer your best product as a trial, and you might turn many more people on to your service.
Old 09-07-05, 08:21 AM

Nowhere when I signed up for the trial did it say it was crippled. It said I was getting the exact same thing I would be getting if I subscribed to the 9.95 plan.
Old 09-07-05, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
Nowhere when I signed up for the trial did it say it was crippled. It said I was getting the exact same thing I would be getting if I subscribed to the 9.95 plan.
Oh. I'm not on any of their subscription plans. I use Napster just to buy individual tracks or sometimes albums.

However, I'd consider their download to your mp3 player subscription plan if it worked with my player -- but they don't support it yet.
Old 09-07-05, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DodgingCars
I'm not sure I understand what you mean? If you buy a song it makes it one track? Isn't that how all mp3s are?

If you mean -- the album, that's simply not true. I've bought about 3 albums from Napster and have burned them to CD -- and they are seperate tracks and you can skip from track to track... Not sure what you're talking about.

As for Napster... I prefer them to ITunes because I don't have an iPod and I like that their WMV files play great on my Creative Zen. I've never had a problem with them. I think their software is a little bloated, but so is Itunes. I use Itunes for downloading Podcasts, but if I were to buy some songs or an album, I'd go with Napster.
I tried burning them through napster: all one track, tried burnig through nero: couldn't burn because of the license, tried through windows media player: kept getting unknown error messages.
Old 09-07-05, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I tried burning them through napster: all one track, tried burnig through nero: couldn't burn because of the license, tried through windows media player: kept getting unknown error messages.
Weird. However, I don't think this is typical.
Old 09-08-05, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DodgingCars
Weird. However, I don't think this is typical.
I definitely don't think it is either but it did piss me off. I asked if they ever planned on letting other burning software to be used (i.e. work around the license) and they gave me a response that made no sense so I took as a 'No'.
Old 09-08-05, 05:21 PM

I did a free trial on the "new" Napster when it was first introduced. Downloaded songs actually sound almost as bad as AM radio - 128 kb WMA files (I think that's what they were - maybe 160) are NOT even remotely close to cd quality. Anyone who pays for this service when vastly superior options are available (emusic, Yahoo Music Unlimited, etc) for less money is a crackhead.
Old 09-08-05, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mike1978
I did a free trial on the "new" Napster when it was first introduced. Downloaded songs actually sound almost as bad as AM radio - 128 kb WMA files (I think that's what they were - maybe 160) are NOT even remotely close to cd quality. Anyone who pays for this service when vastly superior options are available (emusic, Yahoo Music Unlimited, etc) for less money is a crackhead.
I guess I'm a crackhead then.

I honestly can hear no difference between tracks bought on Napster or any other music service.

Emusic was good when it was unlimited download for $15/mo.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.