Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Talking Heads Reissues - October

Old 08-26-05, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Talking Heads Reissues - October

from pitchforkmedia:

Talking Heads LPs to Be Expanded as DualDiscs

Ray Suzuki reports:
In early October, the entire studio catalog of the Talking Heads will be issued in DualDisc format, which has a regular CD on one side and a Dolby 5.1 version on its flip. Each disc-- Talking Heads 77, More Songs About Buildings and Food, Fear of Music, Remain in Light, Speaking in Tongues, Little Creatures, True Stories, and Naked-- is to be issued by Rhino and will feature additional content such as live performances, video, outtakes, and alternate versions of familiar Heads faves-- many of which will be presented as 5.1 mixes.

According to Billboard, highlights from the reissue campaign include video of early live performances of "Pulled Up" and "I Feel It in My Heart" (on 77), an alternate mix of "Burning Down the House" (from Speaking in Tongues), and outtakes such as "Dancing for Money" (Fear of Music) and "Double Groove", "Fela's Riff", "Right Start", and "Unison" (all in various stages of completion; from Remain in Light).

In recent years, Rhino has released numerous other Talking Heads collections: The awkwardly designed Once in a Lifetime box set, self-explanatory primer The Best of Talking Heads, and the long-overdue digital bow of the band's "other" live record, a recently expanded version of The Name of This Band Is Talking Heads.

* Talking Heads (fan site): http://www.talking-heads.net/

Finally!!!

These are due October 4th.
Old 08-26-05, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

finally is right. i'm glad. now if only they could re-team for some shows...
Old 08-27-05, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Reissues
Dualdisc
Where's my SACD?

And I'd love to get that box set, but as they say, it's a TERRIBLE design and also, it's very expensive. Still waiting for yourmusic to carry it (they have many Rhino titles).
Old 08-27-05, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Decker
Reissues
Dualdisc
Where's my SACD?

And I'd love to get that box set, but as they say, it's a TERRIBLE design and also, it's very expensive. Still waiting for yourmusic to carry it (they have many Rhino titles).

I'm not sure I'll be able to wait, or if YM will carry it as they dont' have the new version of Stop Making Sense or the other live album that was recently released. I know they are carrying the Cure reissues, which are put out by Rhino, but I don't think YM/BMG get's all of Rhino's stuff.
Old 08-30-05, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I have everything on cd, the box set, etc. but now they want me to rebuy? For shame!

The first three are my faves, after that not as much, although I still like them.
Old 08-30-05, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

those old cds sound pretty terrible. i'll buy it just for the remastering. 5.1 mixes and videos are a bonus. it's about time!
Old 08-30-05, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
I have everything on cd, the box set, etc. but now they want me to rebuy? For shame!

The first three are my faves, after that not as much, although I still like them.
I lasted as long as Remain in Light, but I really like "Naive Melody", the closing track from Speaking in Tongues.
Old 08-30-05, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Although I liked "Remain In Light" I remember being disappointed after hearing it. Just didn't do it for me like the others.
Old 08-30-05, 10:21 AM

what's the deal - only a few songs in multichannel 5.1 sound?? and not the full album as Warner's had done with the dual discs of REM's back catalogue... no sale.
Old 08-30-05, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone have experience with the dual-discs? I have heard (rumors?) that they have trouble playing in "slot" CD players (such as in cars) due to the different thickness, that they aren't true music CDs (they don't conform to the specification), etc.?

I might get these for the bonus tracks but only if they are included on the music CD side of the disc as well.

-Gunshy
Old 08-30-05, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Gunshy
Anyone have experience with the dual-discs? I have heard (rumors?) that they have trouble playing in "slot" CD players (such as in cars) due to the different thickness, that they aren't true music CDs (they don't conform to the specification), etc.?
I think those Stones reissues are dual discs, and I've had no problem playing them in the stereos in either mine and my wife's cars.
Old 08-30-05, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wendersfan
I think those Stones reissues are dual discs, and I've had no problem playing them in the stereos in either mine and my wife's cars.
The Stones reissues in cardboard digipaks are hybrid SACDs meaning that they are a dual layer disc, with one layer being SACD and the other regular redbook audio cd.

The reissues in plastic jewel cases that are coming out are just regular cds.
Old 08-30-05, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Gunshy

I might get these for the bonus tracks but only if they are included on the music CD side of the disc as well.

-Gunshy
I have had some problems with DualDiscs in my Acura's player - I really don't understand why some play and other's don't.
Old 08-30-05, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Giles
what's the deal - only a few songs in multichannel 5.1 sound?? and not the full album as Warner's had done with the dual discs of REM's back catalogue... no sale.
REM's Warner remasters are not DualDiscs™. They are a CD and a DVD-A in double-digipak.

AFAIK, DualDisc™ does not mean that the other side is a DVD-A, just that it is a DVD.
Old 08-30-05, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Brain Stew
The Stones reissues in cardboard digipaks are hybrid SACDs meaning that they are a dual layer disc, with one layer being SACD and the other regular redbook audio cd.

The reissues in plastic jewel cases that are coming out are just regular cds.
Thanks for the clarification. This is becoming just way too fucking confusing; another reason why I'm listening to my vinyl collection more and more these days.

If there was only a way to stop the turntable from skipping in my Honda.
Old 08-30-05, 07:35 PM

Not too impressed with over $18.50 per disc retail & box set only availability. Maybe for Bear Family, not Rhino/Warner.

Tim
Old 08-30-05, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TimJS
Not too impressed with over $18.50 per disc retail & box set only availability. Maybe for Bear Family, not Rhino/Warner.

Tim
um, i'm pretty sure they'll be available seperately from the box set.

also, i wouldn't let the MSRP price scare you right away. places like best buy are bound to have sweet deals.
Old 08-30-05, 09:51 PM

um, i'm pretty sure they'll be available seperately from the box set
Based on what?

I hope you are right on both counts, but the only info I've seen suggests otherwise...this can always change & I hope it does.

Lately I've found BestBuy's loss leading strategy, not to mention what they stock (doubt that'll be an issue here tho) to be pretty hit & miss.

Tim
Old 09-02-05, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Talking Heads: Brick

Bonus Tracks

These are the bonus tracks on each of the DualDisks in the "Brick" boxset. Some tracks have previously been released on other compilations such as "Sand in the Vaseline" and the "Once in a Lifetime"-boxset, but most of these tracks were never released in any form before.

Talking Heads 77:
Love --> Building On Fire
I Wish You Wouldn't Say That
Psycho Killer (acoustic)
I Feel It In My Heart
Sugar On My Tongue

More Songs About Buildings & Food:
Stay Hungry (1977 version)
I'm Not In Love (alternate version)
The Big Country (alternate version)
Thank You For Sending Me An Angel ("Country Angel" version)

Fear Of Music:
Dancing For Money
Life During Wartime (alternate version)
Cities (alternate version)
Mind (alternate version)

Remain In Light:
Fela's Riff
Unison
Double Groove
Right Start

Speaking In Tongues:
Two Note Swivel
Burning Down The House (alternate version)

Little Creatures:
Road To Nowhere (early version)
And She Was (early version)
Television Man (extended mix)

True Stories:
Wild Wild Life (Extended Mix)
Papa Legba (Pops Staples version)
Radio Head (Tito Larriva version)

Naked:
Sax & Violins
Old 09-02-05, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

from talking-heads.net:

Don't Worry About the DualDiscs

The eight individual DualDiscs in the upcoming Talking Heads "Brick" boxset will be available separately in January 2006, at least in the US (first four at the beginning of the month, second four at the end of the month).

The "brick" is meant to be an introductory piece to announce the arrival of the remastered discs.

Despite the fabulous list of bonus material included on the DualDisks, there is more uncollected/unreleased material left in the vaults. The reason the reissues are not more "complete" is that unlike a standard CD which can contain up to 80 minutes of music, a DualDisc only holds 60 minutes. So there was simply no room to include more material.
Old 09-02-05, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ugh. Dualdiscs.
Old 09-02-05, 02:02 PM

Cool, I'm gonna have to wait though, and try and get these from yourmusic.com
Old 09-02-05, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wish they'd gone the separate CD and DVD-A route, like the R.E.M. reissues. One way in which these are better, though, is that the CD portion will actually be remastered. Some of the original CDs sound pretty bad.

I also hope that the entire albums are remixed in surround sound. None of the articles I've seen thusfar have been entirely clear on that point. I'd likely buy them anyway, but it would be nice to hear a completely different mix of all the songs.
Old 09-02-05, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GoVegan
I wish they'd gone the separate CD and DVD-A route, like the R.E.M. reissues. One way in which these are better, though, is that the CD portion will actually be remastered. Some of the original CDs sound pretty bad.

I also hope that the entire albums are remixed in surround sound. None of the articles I've seen thusfar have been entirely clear on that point. I'd likely buy them anyway, but it would be nice to hear a completely different mix of all the songs.
I'm almost 100% the albums WILL NOT be in surround sound. DualDisc™ does not provide a DVD-A solution, only a redbook audio and DVD solution. There will most likely be videos or something else that is pointless on the DVD side.
Old 09-02-05, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dualdiscs can include a DVD-A layer. I'm not sure if all do, but I have the Dualdisc for NIN's Downward Spiral and it can be played in stereo or Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound on a regular DVD player, and when I put it into my DVD-A player, I get the option for "high resolution" stereo or surround.

The resolution is usually lower on Dualdiscs than regular DVD-As, though, but still an improvement over CDs.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.