Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Belle & Sebastian: The Goalkeeper’s Revenge - January 2006

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 08-24-05, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

from pitchforkmedia:

Belle and Sebastian Reveal New Album Details

Amy Phillips reports:
The Goalkeeper’s Revenge: complicated soccer maneuver, tawdry murder-mystery… or the name of Belle and Sebastian’s forthcoming album? Surprisingly, it’s the latter. It seems the Scottish popsters have abandoned their penchant for awkward, confusing album titles in favor of the straightforward for their new full-length, due in January 2006. RollingStone.com reports that Stuart Murdoch, Stevie Jackson, Sarah Martin, Bobby Kildea, Richard Colburn, Mick Cooke and Chris Geddes have been chillin’ in L.A.’s Sunset Sound studios with producer Tony Hoffer for the past few months, cooking up a disc that “takes inspiration from soul, pop and a little-known electronic four-piece from Manchester, England.” (Meaning New Order. Is that supposed to be a joke? I can’t tell.)

Murdoch described one song, “White Collar Boy,” to da Stone: "It's about an average Joe working in an office who has fallen in with a certain crowd that is slightly above him in social status. He finds it difficult to keep up financially, so he starts stealing. But he gets caught, and he has to do community service. Then, rather unlikely, they chain him up to a female. She's crazy, and she hits the guard over the head with a spade, and they jump on a passing barge. That's pretty much as far as the story goes." Sounds like Todd Solondz just got a plot for his next movie.

Other tracks feature titles like “Song for Sunshine,” “Sukie in the Graveyard,” “Another Sunny Day,” “Act of the Apostle Part I” and “Funny Little Frog.” Guess nobody’s going to stop calling them twee any time soon.

Rolling Stone also notes that Belle and Sebastian will be touring the U.S. next spring. For now, your only chance to see Stuart Murdoch shake his lil tush on the catwalk Stateside will be at the Across the Narrows festival in New York City in October. Or you can trek to London on September 25 to see the band perform their classic If You’re Feeling Sinister in its entirety as part of All Tomorrow’s Parties’ “Don’t Look Back” series. Or you can sit in your room and weep into your diary until the flowers bloom again.
Old 08-24-05, 08:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool news, I'll be at Across the Narrows so I'll hear some of the new songs most likely.
Old 08-25-05, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excellent, any new B&S is good news. I hope it's as good as the last album!