Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

saw Green Day last night........

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

saw Green Day last night........

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-05, 01:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Cornelius1047, I'm not trying to argue, but I actually saw them twice on the Dookie run, once before it broke and once after, the one before was great, at a 700 seater and it was crazy -fans were nuts as were Green Day, they were totally into it, playing over an hour, which is good for a "punk" band that isn't selling millions of records, but when I saw them later at the arena show is when it sucked, like I said it was like they were just doing the motions. But anyway, the show now is good and I would recommend it.
Old 08-14-05, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw Green Day many years ago and they rocked out hard. It was at a rock festival with dozens of other bands and they were by far the best performance. I'd love to see them again.
Old 08-15-05, 03:03 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I saw Green Day on August 12, in Barrie, Ontario. I went in with pretty high expectations for Green Day, considering I had heard that they were really great live; in the end, all of my expectations were blown away. They played approximately 21-22 songs (I'll try to list most of them at the end of this post), and had a 2+ hour set. Their crowd interaction was amazing, and the guy who played Billy Joe's guitar DID get to keep it. I believe he also got to go backstage.

They had one of the best light shows that I've ever seen, while they played, and also had a huge screen behind them that would constantly show different animations and colour schemes (they also had two panel screens at each side of the stage, for the people who were far back and couldn't see them.) Added onto this were amazing pyrotechnics and the best fireworks I think I have ever seen - they concluded the concert, of course.

Overall, the only thing I didn't like about that (PHENOMENAL) concert was the terrible crowd - they were 90% assholes, it seemed. My friends and I were right up front, at the barrier, at the beginning of the concert, and I managed to stay there until Jimmy Eat World came on. People wanted out because it was so rough there, so I moved a bit to help a couple of people out and lost my spot. I was second row for JEW (who had TERRIBLE sound), but then I ended up getting pushed back into the mosh pit for Green Day, and got knocked down a few times. I eventually found somewhere safe and enjoyed the show from there. I'm kind of glad I didn't stay right up front for Green Day because I would have been terribly squished - even before the concert started, assholes were pushing up from the back of our little area, and were squishing us all. People had to ask to be taken out before the concert even started...

List of some of the songs they played:

American Idiot
Jesus of Suburbia
Holiday
St. Jimmy
She
Shout (Cover)
Stand by Me (Cover)
We Are the Champions (Cover)
Basket Case
Brain Stew
Minority
Longview
When I Come Around
Boulevard of Broken Dreams
Wake Me Up When September Ends
Good Riddance/Time of Your Life

Plus more..
Old 08-16-05, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
I liked Green Day some ten years ago, when I was young. Still have a couple of their albums. Probably wouldn't go to see them live. Its amazing how everyone keeps saying American Idiot is some kind of gem, one of the best new rock albums. I've sampled it, it seems flat and uninsipired. Is all of mainstream rock so boring these days? Also, are they some sort of Leftist band now?

Why don't you just say that the reason you don't like it is because of the politics because it's pretty much universally acclaimed as musically brilliant. Maybe the title hits too close to home.
Old 08-17-05, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I dislike Leftists, but that won't keep me from enjoying and recognizing Rage Against the Machine as one of the most brilliant groups of the late 90's. Compared to them, Green Day sounds like bubblegum pop.

I confess I've been out of the loop for quite a while, so this suff kids listen to today is unrecognizable to me. Still, where are the quality mainstream bands today? Also, is being Leftist some sort of trendy attitude among rock musicians again? If so, that's pathetic...

I know how you feel. I don't have any Toby Keith or Charlie Daniels albums. Thank goodness there are no good right wing artists.
Old 08-18-05, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well, Charlie Daniels has made some amazing music, and some good power metal and trash metal bands can drift to the Right. And let's not forget about Lemmy Kilmister (otherwise known as GOD) or Alice Cooper. But yeah, most artists tend to be Left-wing, that being a consequence of dwelling in the world of subjectivity...
Lemmy's pretty left wing (read his book or interviews done during the last election period)

I always thought many power and thrash metal bands were left. You would think they are right wing (especially Metallica, Slayer, & Exodus), but they're all pretty far left.
Old 08-18-05, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it depends on the band member. I gather that James Hetfield is further right than the rest of the band. He's a bit of a redneck and he wrote Don't Tread on Me.

Don't Tread On Me

Liberty or death, what we so proudly hail
once you provoke her, rattling of her tail
never begins it, never, but once engaged...
never surrenders, showing the fangs of rage

don't tread on me

so be it
threaten no more
to secure peace is to prepare for war
so be it
settle the score
touch me again for the words that you'll hear evermore...

don't tread on me

love it or leave it, she with the deadly bite
quick is the blue tongue, forked as lighting strike
shining with brightness, always on surveillance
the eyes, they never close, emblem of vigilance

don't tread on me

so be it
threaten no more
so be it
settle the score

don't tread on me

so be it
threaten no more

liberty or death, what we so proudly hail
once you provoke her, rattling on her tail

so be it
threaten no more
so be it
settle the score

don't tread on me
Old 08-18-05, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cungar
I think it depends on the band member. I gather that James Hetfield is further right than the rest of the band. He's a bit of a redneck and he wrote Don't Tread on Me.
Yeah, but he also wrote "Disposable Heroes", "For Whom The Bell Tolls", & "Ride The Lightning".

But you are right, it does depend on the band member. Tom Araya has way different beliefs than Kerry King. Abaddon has different beliefs than Cronos.
Old 08-18-05, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The Ramones were notorious for differing politically.
Old 08-18-05, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by automator
The Ramones were notorious for differing politically.
I don't know if it was as much politically as Johnny taking Joey's girlfriend away. Because Johnny was so political, I think it was more of an attack on Johnny than his politics when Joey would write songs like "The KKK Took My Baby Away" and "Bonzo Goes To Bitzburg".
Old 08-26-05, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, the Raleigh show was superb. Jimmy Eat World played a little over 30 minutes, but they sounded pretty good. Green Day blew the roof off. They were excellent. I was hoping they played some older stuff and they did. The first 6 or 7 songs were from American Idiot (it was the 1st song). In the middle, they played Longview, Basket Case, Hitchin a Ride, King for a Day, Brain Stew (), Minority, maybe a couple of others and they closed with Wake me Up when Sept. Ends and the encore was Boulevard... and Time of Your Life.

The only thing I didn't like was there was a bit too much crowd participation. I hate that at concerts. I want to see the band play and sing, not the crowd. Oh well, a great show overall.

Last edited by Mr. Cinema; 08-26-05 at 09:37 AM.
Old 08-26-05, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
I think it was more of an attack on Johnny than his politics when Joey would write songs like "The KKK Took My Baby Away"
This is true, as stated in Ramones: End of The Century
Old 08-26-05, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've seen them twice and probably won't see them again. They're one of my favorite bands, but I absolutely HATE stadium shows. I think the only band I'd catch at a stadium show is Pink Floyd.

I've been to 3 stadium show in my life: Pink Floyd, Metallica, and Blink/Green Day.

The Metallica and Blink 182 shows sucked -- I couldn't hear a damn thing. I couldn't see a damn thing. And it was expensive as hell!
Old 08-26-05, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DodgingCars
I've seen them twice and probably won't see them again. They're one of my favorite bands, but I absolutely HATE stadium shows. I think the only band I'd catch at a stadium show is Pink Floyd.

I've been to 3 stadium show in my life: Pink Floyd, Metallica, and Blink/Green Day.

The Metallica and Blink 182 shows sucked -- I couldn't hear a damn thing. I couldn't see a damn thing. And it was expensive as hell!
Unless the sound system sucked, you should have heard everything fine.
Old 08-29-05, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hopefully for the show that i'm going to tomrrow, I'll post pics from the show hopefully within the week.
Also on the vma preshow, they announced that a dvd is being set for release on november 15. From the brief clip they played, it looks like it was a stadium show.

and since the pit at merriweather is very small, i plan on getting to the gate at least an hour before the doors open.
Old 08-29-05, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Unless the sound system sucked, you should have heard everything fine.
Maybe that was the problem then. Metallica played at The Forum (old home of the LA Kings and Lakers). I couldn't hear crap.

I saw Green Day/Blink at the Verizon Ampitheater in Irvine. We had grass "seats.'" It sounded like crap.

I'll stick to smaller venues which are cheaper, closer, and usually sound better.
Old 08-31-05, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

great show last night. The set list that someone else posted was similar maybe a couple different songs. Alot of the pictures i took didn't come out too great but, i'll post them anyway. I took a few during Jimmy Eat World (who did sound like crap, but put on a pretty good show) but the security said not to take any. But i got a few shots during the show since the pit went crazy. And its probably the only concert i've been to where i knew all of the words to every song. And my voice nearly died on me by the end.

They blocked off the way to get on 29 north, so i had to find my way around town and had to sit in 45 minutes of columbia md traffic which was not fun, although the worst traffic i hit was getting out of hershey stadium after a 3 doors down show (we were there at least an hour, before we got to the highway.)
Old 09-01-05, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Comment from Other to Rypro 525 regarding the 'family' atmosphere:

Off topic: When the fuck did a Green Day concert become a family outing event ??? 90% of people that were over 21 brought thier kids...this on top of all the 13-17 year olds that were there.

Last time I saw Green Day was ~8 years ago...it was all 17+ then and people did more than wave thier arms in the air... we were searching all over for people who were getting into it, maybe not a full on pit but more than just standing there !!
and

As to crowd... figure it was the parents remembering Green Day from the past and the kids hearing them on the radio now, Laughed at all the people who brought blankets and stuff to setup camp on the lawn, yeah that lasted a long time once the music started ! It's a rock concert, not a picnic !
Last time I saw them was at 9:30 club, Billy Joe was 2 feet in front of me singing while crowd surfing.. this time he was just a dot on the stage, still they sounded excellent !!! Feeling my age though, knees are killing me from the little jumping around we did !! Ouch !
Seems my feelings are similar to everyone elses... It was great concert, but too big stadium show now compared to few years ago. I was also hoping JEW would be better, they were ok but didn't quite get the energy up and set was too short.

They also did the bring people up on stage to play last time I saw them, think it's their 'thing'... still it's kinda cool to see these people/kids get to have fun for a few minutes.
Old 09-02-05, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

has anyone seen the great video they did for "Wake Me Up When September Ends"
http://search.music.yahoo.com/search...+me+up&m=video
I just wish there was a site where you could save it.
Old 10-08-05, 02:48 AM

I just saw them perform the other night here in Phoenix, AZ. They were absolutely phenomenal. Billie Joe, again, gave out his guitar to an 8 year old boy who was originally chosen to play guitar when they picked 3 members of the audience for on-stage participation. He claimed to have had a year of guitar playing experience. But when he got on stage, he couldn't play the necessary 3 strings. It was great because the guitar was practically twice the kid's size.

Jimmy Eat World performed for about 40 minutes and then there was a 35 minute intermission before Green Day took the stage. They performed for 2 hours and there was never a dull moment.

For all of the Arizonans out there, Billie Joe mentioned that Green Day used to perform at the Silver Dollar Club. In fact, the picture on the back cover of their early CD, "Kerplunk," was taken here in AZ many years back.

Bottom line: If Green Day visits your city.....definitely go...it's worth every penny.

Last edited by DonkeyKong; 10-08-05 at 02:53 AM.
Old 10-10-05, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I saw them last week in Las Vegas...thought it was one of the most unenjoyable concerts I've ever seen. It started with Green Day opening for itself as a band called the Network. Not great, but it was funny watching everyone in the audience wonder who those "nobodys" on stage were.

Jimmy Eat World was alright. Better thean Green Day.

Green Day was just irritating. I've never heard a band yell the name of the city so many times. "How you feeling Las Vegas?" "Give it up for us Las Vegas!" "Scream for us Las Vegas!" Billie Joe had a guitar around his neck but barely played it. Oh, and don't talk about being punk rock with pyro going off around you, especially after you just charged me over $50 for a ticket. They sounded fine, but the show was an extremely lame arena rock spectacle.
Old 10-10-05, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Gdrlv - from what i've seen, we have very similar tastes in music, and i couldn't agree more.. i saw green day back in April, and by watching them on stage, they're definitely 3 of the biggest "rock stars" i've ever seen.. "Massachusetts!!!!!" - at least 100 times throughout the show.. talk about lapping it up..

i enjoyed the show (i think AI is a masterpiece of an album), but i regretted having seen a DVD of a show earlier in the tour, since it was the same exact show..
Old 10-10-05, 01:30 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Gdrlv
Oh, and don't talk about being punk rock with pyro going off around you, especially after you just charged me over $50 for a ticket.
They've said numerous times over the years that they don't consider themselves a punk band.
Old 10-10-05, 01:38 PM

I saw them on 10/8 here in LA. I saw them on the first leg of the tour two. The show was pretty much a retread of the last one I saw. Only slight variations in the setlist. Some better video screens. Pretty much the same exact show though. Still enjoyable, just not spontaneous at all.

They are playing a "secret" show here in LA tomorrow at the Wiltern and by secret I mean not so secret, just last minute. I think it holds about 1000 people or so. Tickets went on sale today and I picked up a couple. I'm hoping the fact that it's a smaller venue, a special show and their last of the tour that it will be a little different from what I've seen the last couple times. I am kind of excited to see the Network open too. That should be pretty good.
Old 10-10-05, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
They've said numerous times over the years that they don't consider themselves a punk band.
Well, that's not what they said onstage in Vegas.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.