Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Fiona Apple : "Extraordinary Machine" news / reviews / discussion [merged]

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Fiona Apple : "Extraordinary Machine" news / reviews / discussion [merged]

Old 08-24-04, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Rogue588
One's called Better Version Of Me, the other is the title track Extraordinary Machine.
I've heard Extraordinary Machine and it's quite good. I think it would be a nice single too. So what, she has talent, it's not like all the other pop crap, get over it.

I can't believe there is a very powerful man who doesn't like that song enough to not give it a chance, and keep this record shelved. Crazy times we live in. And that's just one song.

If you are a little worried, just ask her to make another video in her undies, put it out a month before the cd is released, and you have a guaranteed number 1 album and, gosh, who knows, maybe there is "actually" room for music like this and music like Ashlee Simpson's stuff to coexist.
Old 08-24-04, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks for the link. . .i stumbled upon the mp3s in the process
Old 08-24-04, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

OK, I like both songs, but there's no way "Extraordinary Machine" is a pop single. It's basically a showtune, for cryin' out loud. The other track, "A Better Version Of Me" is more suitable, but still not a single.

Of course, the obvious question is "Why must there be a single"? How many albums are released each year without corresponding single releases? Thousands. The greedy record exec bastards just need to realize that Fiona has progressed past their desires for a cute young female pop star and need to treat her as the artist she is. Her music is good enough to sell itself on its own merits. We don't need the pre-teen sales machine. Just release it, damnit!
Old 08-24-04, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We can do the creative route, and have her cover a single that's already been popular! Then, we use THAT as the single! For example, she could cover "My Prerogrative".

Come on...it worked for...um.....it worked damn it!

We could just give one of the two snuck out songs an anti-Bush title (even if the lyrics have NOTHING to do with Bush or any politics...that matters not!), and it'll sell in no time!

Last edited by harpo787; 08-24-04 at 09:44 PM.
Old 08-24-04, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by theneobez
thanks for the link. . .i stumbled upon the mp3s in the process
De nada.
Originally posted by Numanoid
Of course, the obvious question is "Why must there be a single"? How many albums are released each year without corresponding single releases? Thousands. The greedy record exec bastards just need to realize that Fiona has progressed past their desires for a cute young female pop star and need to treat her as the artist she is. Her music is good enough to sell itself on its own merits. We don't need the pre-teen sales machine. Just release it, damnit!
Amen.

But, really, when was she a "cute young female pop star"? Her music was never that immature. Sure, she might've gone the Aguliera route by doing a video in her underwear, but her music was much more mature.

Why don't record companies realize that "singles" are for teenybopper/bling, bling hip-hop/flavours of the week?

Pathetic.
Old 08-25-04, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

De nada.Amen.

But, really, when was she a "cute young female pop star"? Her music was never that immature. Sure, she might've gone the Aguliera route by doing a video in her underwear, but her music was much more mature.
Dear Christine wasn't even a thought in '96, 97 when Romanek's video for criminal was released.
Old 08-25-04, 12:00 PM

Criminal is an incredible video.

When I watch it I feel like today is the day after a 3 day party.
Old 08-25-04, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Extraordinary Machines is nowhere near radio friendly... And the tonal sctructure of Better Version of Me is so far beyond the comprehension of the general public that if you don't know what's going on it almost sounds like the whole song is wrong... It's actually pretty clever from a musical standpoint if you get it, but I still don't think it has any place in popular music really. If these 2 tracks are indicative of all the material on the album, I understand why the label's sitting on it. No offense. I love Fiona's music, but she might have dug too deep a hole here.
Old 08-25-04, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Numanoid
Exactly...

Both tracks are pretty dern good IMHO... And her previous material is so good, it's a no brainer purchase for me... IF those ass clowns ever release it. In this day and age I may buy 3 or 4 CDs a YEAR - if that - but a new Fiona Apple record is money as far as I'm concerned.
Old 08-25-04, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Why don't record companies realize that "singles" are for teenybopper/bling, bling hip-hop/flavours of the week?

Pathetic.
But singles aren't just for flavours of the week as you put it. U2 and Tori Amos constantly have singles. They aren't talking about a single that you go buy in the store for $1.99 or something. (Well, whenever I want to buy a U2 or Tori single they are generally $9.99... I wish they would release US singles for purchase) They are talking about a song that can play on the radio and get requested. If there are no songs on the album that fit the demographic of a popular radio station, then there are no "singles" on the album. Let me further say that the radio stations that I listen to don't play U2 or Tori Amos, and I still buy all of their albums, as I would probably buy this Fiona Apple album if it sees the light of day. That being said, I don't think that they necessarily need a "single" to release the album, but Fiona has been lets say on the back burner for long enough that only really big fans are going to know about/buy the album. They need a single to attempt to sell her to a new crowd.

I liked both songs, and I think that Better Version of Me would make a decent single, but thats just my opinion.
Old 08-25-04, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The money has been spent, and the songs have been recorded.

Sitting on it is a waste from all perspectives.

HOWEVER, I can see a scenario where Sony is taking their "no single to be found" issue and trying to capitalize on it and creating some free publicity by shelving the CD.

Sort of like creating a demand for a product simply by holding it back from the public.

I dunno, it's just a pain to sit and wait for a CD when it's already done and doing nothing.

Hopefully the rest of the CD will get leaked out onto the internet.
Old 12-23-04, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Petition Seeks to Free Fiona Apple Album

NEW YORK - Fiona Apple fans wondering when the artist's third CD would see the light of day might want to keep an eye on one enthusiast's online petition.

Dave Muscato, a Missouri musician and Apple afficionado, founded the Web site www.freefiona.com last month in an effort to pressure her record label to release "Extraordinary Machine." Apple's follow-up to "Tidal" and "When the Pawn ..." reportedly has been finished since May 2003.

"They didn't think it had enough commercial appeal to justify the cost of promoting it and distributing it," Muscato recently told AP Radio. "So even though it was already recorded, they'd already spent the money to record it, they basically decided to just cut their losses and stick it on a shelf."

A message left at Epic Records, Apple's label, was not immediately returned Monday.

For every signature on Muscato's petition, the Free Fiona! campaign plans to send a fake apple to Andrew Lack, the CEO of parent company Sony BMG, "as a symbol of protest and support for Fiona Apple," he said. A demonstration outside Sony headquarters in New York is also planned on Jan. 28.

As of Monday, the Web site has gathered more than 2,600 signatures. It also raised nearly $1,000 from donations and sales of T-shirts and bumper stickers, Muscato said.

"It's really taken off faster than I thought," he said.

Muscato, 20, says he had heard a couple of tracks from the unreleased album that were leaked on the Internet, so he's not worried he's going through all this trouble for an album that might not be worth it.

"Even if it's no good, which I'm sure isn't the case, I would at least like to buy it and decide that for myself," he said.

I love how the first post in this thread include a quote that reads:

"It's safe to say that Fiona's third album will not be released until 2004."

Last edited by automator; 12-23-04 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12-27-04, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Bummer. I would really, REALLY love to hear this album. How bad can this album be? It would lay in the songwriting, if so. But her voice is velvet, baby. Can't shake that off.
Old 12-27-04, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Record companies are funny this way. I have had a few not so close buddies who were in different bands and both were signed to a recording contract. During the process (one was still in the middle stages of recording music, the other almost done) their company dropped them from their label but still owned the rights to the bands and the music they had recorded. Neither have been able to put together another band that is worth s*i*.

I find it odd that they can do this. As for Fiona, if she really thought the cd is worth a damn she should ask to be released from her contract and pay to get the master recording and distribution rights to the cd and put it out herself.
Old 12-27-04, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

just release it to itunes (or the like). distribution is paid for. the record company has no further investment to make and collects royalties from the dl'd songs. fiona apple's previous two albums are already available on itunes. if the downloads exceed expectation, they can always reconsider and promote the album in the "traditional" fashion.

kms
Old 12-27-04, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Good point.
Old 12-30-04, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That fionahaswings sight is down. Anyone know where else to stumble across the songs?

Edit: I stumbled across the songs on some citizen keith blog. My first impression is that they are artistic songs but very different from her prior work. The music is in the drivers seat here and the lyrics are taking the back seat. It's not bad, but it is different. It almost seems to me that she wants to get dropped from her label by switching her sound.

Last edited by s}{ammer; 12-30-04 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-01-05, 09:41 AM
SvenL

Why can't she do what Aimee Mann did a few years back - buy the album back from Sony and release it on her own?

Old 01-01-05, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by s}{ammer
It almost seems to me that she wants to get dropped from her label by switching her sound.
I wouldn't say she is changing her sound at all, rather it's properly---maybe a little drastically?---evolving in its Brion inspired orchestration from 'When the Pawn...' Why its sitting in limbo and Apple seems diffident, is really anybody's guess and I don't think that means those involved with its production aren't proud of it. (I think the rumor was that Sony execs wanted some tinkering, or a redo, but Apple went back and did that, but refused a complete overhaul of the sound) It simply comes down to money: probably on her part not wanting to buy it back---few hundred thousand may be the price.

Last edited by lostatmidnight; 01-01-05 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-01-05, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow. That's annoying. I didn't know about any of this. I would have bought this album a year ago. I'm dl'ing those two tracks now. I'm sure they're terrific.
Old 01-01-05, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It may be too expensive for Fiona to buy it back, but I don't understand why other labels aren't purchasing it from Sony (either large of small labels).

After refusing to alter their recordings to make it more commercially viable, Wilco purchased the master tapes back from Warner and released the successful (critically and financially) Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.
Warner's looks pretty stupid now. So the labels have to know that the same can happen here.

Aimee Mann is another artist who broke off ties with her label and has enjoyed much success since. Since becoming more successful, she's been approached by the labels again - but she's turned them down and remains on her own label.

The dumb thing is Jon Brion is proving himself to be a successful producer - after his work with Aimee Mann and his score for the film Magnolia. He's getting more and more work for soundtracks as well now (Eternal Sunshine and I Heart Huckabees being the two recent ones).

I heard both of the leaked songs and they're great. I think it'll sell enough to make their money back - and may sell even more based on this free publicity they've generated by not releasing the CD.

Last edited by Coral; 01-01-05 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-10-05, 08:32 AM
Banned

Fiona Apple : "Extraordinary Machine"

Does anyone have this? Its really beautiful. Pity it hasn't been released officially yet. Any news on it?
Old 08-10-05, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Nothing new since the last two threads, as far as I know.
Old 08-10-05, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)

but I hear Britney Spears' sister will be slaughtering an Etta James classic..
Old 08-11-05, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have this CD. It's a gem. Sadly there's no info on when it's going to see the light of day. It could just very well end up being a "lost album". If anyone's interested in listening to the MP3s [edit] I'm afraid I can't help because that is against the board rules and I don't want to get myself banned.

Last edited by benedict; 08-16-05 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Copyright issues

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.