Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What Should I Be Listening To Right Now?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-05, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Somebody's Baby by Jackson Browne is starting to wear out my iPod.

Ideas?
Old 08-02-05, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Killed by Death-Motorhead
Old 08-02-05, 03:53 PM
Banned

Andrew Gold- Lonely Boy!!!! He did background vocals for the Eagles and Linda Ronstadt. He's a great singer-songwriter.

Renee Olstead- If your into Jazz at all, she is great. She's not very well known, but she is very good, and has a little Billy Holidaye mixed with Etta James falvor to her.

Teitur- very similar to John Mayer, but better and less well known. He came from iceland, and I would say his sound is sytle is a mix between Simon and Garfunkel and Coldplay.

Let me know what you think
Old 08-02-05, 04:04 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
johnny boy -- you are the generation that bought more shoes and you get what you deserve.
Old 08-02-05, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by astrochimp
Killed by Death-Motorhead
Holy shit, that's amazing! I saw the thread title and thought the exact same thing!
Old 08-02-05, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
OK here come the Motorhead fans. Note I will not bring up Oasis.

I'm assuming you want some combination of Good, Recent, and/or not thoroughly covered/hyped to death (Bloc Party*, Bright Eyes*).

I will not describe the bands, but leave some excerpts from reviews.

Death From Above 1979
You're a Woman, I'm a Machine
"Death From Above 1979 makes its considerable racket with only bass, drums, and the occasional Moog squelch assist. This isn't a gimmick - between Sebastien Grainger's frantic wail and the overdriven bass riffs of Jesse F. Keeler, the duo's You're a Woman, I'm a Machine pulses with a steady, sweaty energy that's punctuated with arena-sized hooks... [They] makes people move by exposing the live-wire tension rock music had all along." - Johnny Loftus, AMG

Junior Boys
Last Exit
"Glacial, silken electro-pop... Its heights eclipse virtually all other music I've heard this year..." - Scott Plagenhoef, Pitchfork

Andrew Bird
The Mysterious Production of Eggs
"While it's true that Andrew Bird has a background in classical music, plays the violin, spends an inordinate amount of time whistling, and plays the glockenspiel, I defy anyone listening to his remarkable The Mysterious Production of Eggs to easily identify any of those traits/sounds. Even harder to identify is exactly what Bird is doing on The Mysterious Production of Eggs. Is it alt-country, jazz, folk, classical? ...a quietly sublime trip through Bird's skewed musical universe. It's a densely melodic place composed of layered instruments so intricately intertwined with each other and Bird's lyrics that repeated listenings inevitably reveal a hidden but grandiose vision of what a pop record can be... You won't hear another record like The Mysterious Production of Eggs this year. For a critic who finds no end of connections between current performers, their contemporaries, and what has gone before, I have to admit that Bird has carved himself a uniquely personal sound.... [The album] stands firm from beginning to end." - Peter Funk, PopMatters

* Still great artists!!!

Old 08-03-05, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
Mogwai - Rock Action
Old 08-03-05, 05:13 AM

Thanks for the ideas... strangely, I am wearing a Motorhead T Shirt today
Old 08-03-05, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's what I've been listening to lately:

Maximo Park- A Certain Trigger- a really good brit guitar album. Sounds a little like Kaiser Chiefs' debut.
M83- Before the Dawn Heals Us- epic, overwhelming, lush electronic music. Probably not as good as their debut, but damn good.
Royksopp- The Understanding- mellow Nordic electronica with a good beat.
The Coral- S/T- debut album from a few years back- retro-sixties psychedelia with Farfisa organ. Lots of fun to listen to.
ELO- any greatest hits comp- underrated band with lots of great pop songs.
Duran Duran- S/T- I'm starting to realize that their first album is every bit as good as Rio...
Old 08-03-05, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

you only have one album on your ipod?
Old 08-03-05, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Led Zeppelin I

Or Motorhead... Killed by Death would be good.
Old 08-03-05, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Hiro11

Maximo Park- A Certain Trigger- a really good brit guitar album. Sounds a little like Kaiser Chiefs' debut.
M83- Before the Dawn Heals Us- epic, overwhelming, lush electronic music. Probably not as good as their debut, but damn good.
Royksopp- The Understanding- mellow Nordic electronica with a good beat.
The Coral- S/T- debut album from a few years back- retro-sixties psychedelia with Farfisa organ. Lots of fun to listen to.
ELO- any greatest hits comp- underrated band with lots of great pop songs.
Duran Duran- S/T- I'm starting to realize that their first album is every bit as good as Rio...
Some... additional comments.

Maximo/Maxïmo Park is excellent, and way way beyond the overrated Kaiser Chiefs. We have a thread on them, but they sound excellent mixed in with other bands of the moment. And they're touring the US briefly! With Franz Ferdinand!

The new Röyksopp on the other hand, is awful. This sounds like any one of the washed-over downtempo mixes you can buy from like Pacific Sun or Hot Topic. Just wretched. I say this, not because the new album is worse than, say, the above named examples, but because their debut was extremely promising. If it took them four years to come up with this album...
Old 08-03-05, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

iv got old journey on...Evolution.
Old 08-03-05, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Opeth - My Arms, Your Hearse (album)
Old 08-03-05, 02:00 PM

and if you can handle it

Necrophagist - Onset Of Putrefaction
Old 08-03-05, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by The Black
[lots o pictures]
I can imagine what the last album sounds like... what can you tell me about the Moby Dick one?
Old 08-03-05, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Bus
I can imagine what the last album sounds like... what can you tell me about the Moby Dick one?
That Mastodon album has become, bar none, my favorite metal album of the last few years. It's:
Ridiculously heavy without being overly sped up
Epic and progressive without being pretentious
Full of chops without wanking

It's a great album, a must buy if you like metal, IMO.

Also, that's just about the coolest album cover I've ever seen.

Last edited by Hiro11; 08-04-05 at 07:48 AM.
Old 08-03-05, 09:46 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
I agree about Mastadon.
I pushed myself to start listening to Liviathan about a week ago. I haven't listened to anything since. Everything the previous post said is true. I might add that the drums are very good, and very clean. When he does rolls, or just double stroking, every note is heard. Lots of precision. It might take a few listens to get used to the voice which might test your limits on how much you can handle. But I swear, once you understand what is happening in the songs...this record becomes very exciting. I'm not even a fan of metal.
Ransom
Old 08-03-05, 10:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hiro11

I thought their debut was kind of weak, too inconsistent.

Their real masterpiece is Dead Cities, Red Seas and Lost Ghosts, one of the best albums released in the past 5 years, IMO. The quiet bit in Unrecorded has to be the most beautiful and soothing music I've heard.
Old 08-03-05, 10:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mndtrp
Mogwai - Rock Action

Yes, good recommendation. Dial: Revenge is probably my favorite song on the album.
Old 08-04-05, 12:18 AM

traindodge - the truth
riddle of steel - got this feelin'
Old 08-04-05, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by The Bus
There's no more I need to add to what's been said about Mastodon, they're a fantastic band, and even better live.

Necrophagist IS death metal, but I've come to think of them as the most technical band in the world. They even have fans that mostly prefer classical music.
At first I couldn't stand death metal, thought of it as pure noise for the sake of making it, but only a few bands have convinced me of liking this genre, that would be Vital Remains, Morbid Angel and Necrophagist. Necrophagist being the only band I actually listen to frequently of the bunch. It is worth checking out, but with an open mind.
Old 08-04-05, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Elldubtoo
I thought their debut was kind of weak, too inconsistent.

Their real masterpiece is Dead Cities, Red Seas and Lost Ghosts, one of the best albums released in the past 5 years, IMO. The quiet bit in Unrecorded has to be the most beautiful and soothing music I've heard.
That's the album I meant...they must have had an earlier one I've never heard of...
Old 08-04-05, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Live From Iraq
http://www.4th25.com/

Others of a different nature:
Royksopp: The Understanding
Telepopmusik: Angel Milk
Shpongle
any Buddha Bar
Nina Simone
Old 08-04-05, 08:55 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Keane

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.