DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Tragically Hip Box Set 11/1!!!!!!! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/432323-tragically-hip-box-set-11-1-a.html)

kramdenfan 07-29-05 01:44 PM

Tragically Hip Box Set 11/1!!!!!!!

I'm so f'n psyched!! I just got this in my e-mail:
---------------------

HIPEPONYMOUS: Includes 'Yer Favourites'
Dear Friends,

The results of your favourites are in!

On November 1st, we will be releasing "HIPEPONYMOUS", a limited edition box set consisting of two discs with 34 of "Yer Favourites" songs, as chosen by you on sympatico.msn.ca.

All the songs on this double CD were chosen by you and all have been digitally remastered. The four disc package will also contain two brand new songs, a 48 page book, a live DVD called "That Night In Toronto", and a bonus DVD of all 23 of our videos, plus 11 new video pieces.

We're really excited about the live DVD, which features the show from November 2004 at ACC (Air Canada Centre). It was shot in High Definition & mixed in PCM Stereo & 5.1 Surround Sound. We think you’re going to love it! We will be releasing the 2 CD "Yer Favourites" and the "That Night In Toronto” DVD separately on November 1 as well.

And now that we're telling you about this officially, we thought you might want to know what you chose as the top ten songs, so here they are in alphabetical order:

Ahead By A Century
Blow At High Dough
Bobcaygeon
Courage
Grace, Too
Little Bones
Nautical Disaster
New Orleans Is Sinking
38 Years Old
Wheat Kings

Thanks again for taking the time to vote and contributing to the release of "HIPEPONYMOUS".

Best regards,
Das Hips

---------------------------

I'm really suprised at how many votes "38 Years Old" received to be in the top ten fan favorites- that has always been one of my favorite songs by them, but it's considered more of a "deep cut." From what I've read, they've only played it live 3-4 times in their touring career!

Can't wait to see the DVD!!!

astrochimp 07-29-05 06:18 PM

Glad to see Wheat Kings made the top 10 and suprised Fifty Mission Cap didnt.

Liver&Onions 07-29-05 06:29 PM

Yeah, just got that too! SWEET!

I'm interested to see the entire track listing...

movieking 07-29-05 10:53 PM

I want to see it as well. The listed songs are all great.

printerati 08-02-05 12:44 PM

Thanks for posting this. I went ahead and played all ten songs on my Canadian music radio show this morning...as well as a couple of my recent favorites to round out the hour. I'm really looking forward to this release, even though I already own every album.

Did all The Hip Club members and/or voters receive this message? I didn't get it, although it's possible it was flagged as SPAM. :(

mdc3000 08-03-05 01:17 AM

this sounds awesome. Can not wait!

MATT

kramdenfan 08-03-05 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by printerati
Thanks for posting this. I went ahead and played all ten songs on my Canadian music radio show this morning...as well as a couple of my recent favorites to round out the hour. I'm really looking forward to this release, even though I already own every album.

Did all The Hip Club members and/or voters receive this message? I didn't get it, although it's possible it was flagged as SPAM. :(

I received it as a Hip Club member... I'm surprised you didn't get it...

So what other songs did you add for the hour? I'm in the same boat: huge hip fan, own all their albums, and I'll be buying this the day it comes out!! lol

kramdenfan 10-20-05 08:03 AM

More details...

From the latest newsletter...
----------------------------------------
It's almost here! Just two weeks until The Tragically Hip release the box set called "Hipeponymous" on Tuesday, November 1 and to get you in the mood, call or email your local radio station and request the single - dropped yesturday -"No Threat," one of two new songs on the upcoming "Yer Favorites".

Since we've mentioned it in the past and we're getting close to launch, a totally revamped web site, with new features, fresh, ongoing content and some other aces we'll be pulling out of our sleeves are all coming down the pipe. . . stay in touch and keep your eyes and ears open for great new happenings at thehip.com.

Did we mention new merch? We've got some great merch coming and some already available at Maple Music, our online retail partner, so check it out!

With the release of the Box set around the corner, a single that just dropped, a new site about to launch, fantastic suprises on the horizon, we're happy to say that this is going to be a great year!!!

Ok, now the final release dates and details:

November 1:
"Hipeponymous" is being released and it includes all the things in the list below

November 8:
"Yer Favourites" - 2 cd's, 35 songs"That Night In Toronto" - 24 song live concert DVD

The limited edition box set is very cool. It includes two CD's containing 35 remastered classics and two brand new songs including the new single, "No Threat". The box set also includes two DVDs, one entitled"That Night in Toronto, a Film by Pierre & François Lamoureux" which catches THE TRAGICALLY HIP live in concert at Toronto's Air Canada Centre in November 2004 and was filmed in High Definition and mixed in PCM Stereo and 5.1 Surround Sound. HIPEPONYMOUS also includes an exclusive bonus DVD that features all 23 of THE TRAGICALLY HIP'S music videos, a 50-minute film directed by Christopher Mills entitled "Macroscopic", and 11 visual vignettes set to new original scores from The Tragically Hip called “The Right Whale”.There is also a 48 page
included in the box.

Enjoy!

Das Hips

Liver&Onions 10-20-05 09:45 AM

:drool:

Lateralus 10-20-05 04:42 PM

I might have to pick up the box set, thanks! :up:

shaggy 10-24-05 02:16 AM

This is great news. I'm a Hip freak since 91 and have seen them over 50 times. The best part is the DVDs. I doubt the tracklist on the Cds will be very good. A lot of Canadian Hip fans are weird they still aren't over Up to Here. If I never hear up to here again, I wouldn't miss it. For those of you who think Blow At High Dough or New Orleans is Sinking are good songs. Check out Day for Night or Trouble at the Henhouse. These are brillant records. The Hip are a very underappreciated band. In the U.S no one has heard of them, in Canada only their singles get attention.

Amazing Hip Songs you have probably never heard.

Don't Wake Daddy
Daredevil
Yawning or snarling
Fireworks
Emperor Penguin
Are we Family
Silver Jet
Thugs
So Hard Done By
Apartment Song
Lets Stay Engaged
Lake Fever

Check these out.

kramdenfan 11-01-05 09:19 AM

From their newsletter today.... I wish I could pick up Canadian radio. Does anyone know if any of these stations have web broadcasts?
---------------
The Tragically Hip "In Conversation With…."
Featuring the "Hipeponymous" World Album Premiere
A 90 Minute Radio Special Airing Coast To Coast From Toronto
Includes A Live Interview With The Tragically Hip
Tuesday, November 1st
10PM Eastern Time (7PM Vancouver)

Send in your E-mail questions to The Hip:
[email protected]

Listen in on:
CFOX - Vancouver
CKDV - Prince George
CKLZ - Kelowna
CJRX - Lethbridge
CFGQ - Calgary
CFBR - Edmonton
CFWF - Regina
CJDJ - Saskatoon
CJKR - Winnipeg
CKDK - London
CJXY - Hamilton
CILQ - Toronto
CJSS - Cornwall
CIKR - Kingston
CHEZ - Ottawa
CFRQ - Halifax
CIGO - Port Hawkesbury

HIPEPONYMOUS - In Stores Now!

kramdenfan 11-01-05 12:13 PM

Apparently, none of the new set is available to the States until 11/8.... Both Borders, Circuit City, Best Buy and Amazon confirmed.

Sucks. I was excited to get it when I woke up this morning! lol

mdc3000 11-01-05 12:14 PM

Just picked it up. A very nice package. The two new songs are both pretty dang good and the bonus dvd is the real gem. Having all the videos etc. is definitely worth the extra cash for the box set! My only small complaint is the book that is part of the box...the glue on mine makes some info on the pages unreadable (the binding goes too far...ie.page 2 has the tracklisting of Yer Favourites with legends for which album each song came from...for all the songs on the left side, the legends are impossible to see because that part of the page has been glued as part of the binding of the book...dang!).

Other than that, this is a great package for hip fans, and the concert dvd is excellent too. Well worth the money, very pleased.

MATT

shaggy 11-02-05 09:17 PM

Yes, I was very excited to pick it. The DVDs are both fantastic. The CDs are so so, just because my taste in the Hip is very different from the average fan. So for me most of their best songs are missing. Cool packaging too.