Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

New Big Star album "In Space" is coming out 9/27/05

Old 07-26-05, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

New Big Star album "In Space" is coming out 9/27/05

Tracklisting:

1. Dony
2. Lady Sweet
3. Best Chance We’ve Ever Had
4. Turn My Back On The Sun
5. Love Revolution
6. February’s Quiet
7. Mine Exclusively
8. A Whole New Thing
9. Aria Largo
10. Hung Up With Summer
11. Do You Wanna Make It
12. Makeover

from NME:

BIG STAR have confirmed details of their first album in 27 years.

Original members Alex Chilton and Jody Stephens were joined in the studio by Posies frontmen Jon Auer and Ken Stringfellow, who have been part of the Big Star touring band since 1993, when they reformed for live shows.

Now the new line-up have put together an album, ’In Space’, which will be released on September 26 by Rykodisc.

Big Star's last release was the notoriously downbeat 'Third/SisterLovers' in 1978, recorded when the band was falling apart.

Frontman Chilton and drummer Stephens revived the moniker after the likes of REM and Teenage Fanclub cited them as a massive influence.
Old 07-26-05, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Would really love this to be good, but Alex Chilton hasn't produced anything decent in a LOOOOOOONG time. It's really hard to think of this as a real Big Star album though.
Old 07-27-05, 10:00 AM

It looks like a new Big Star album is coming out

Big Star are my favorite band of all-time. Looks like they are releasing a new album, of newly recorded material (not some outtakes, extra tracks, lost tracks, etc.):

Big Star to Release New Album

Caroline Bermudez reports:
For the Men and Women of the Rock and Roll Canon, life is merely a series of endless misfortunes, each artistic endeavor overshadowed by a past triumph. Their solo albums and side projects register temporary blips on the music landscape, to be forgotten months later, or worse, used against them as punchlines. Basically, they can't win. All they can really do is fade away and get real jobs, or bank on their glorious histories. Eventually, when the time is right, they'll almost invariably reunite with their old bands, tour, and even, in rare cases, release new albums. On September 26, one of the canon's most revered astral bodies, Big Star, will follow suit with In Space, their first album since 1978's Third/Sister Lovers.

To be released by Rykodisc, In Space will feature mastermind and principal songwriter Alex Chilton and drummer Jody Stephens, both original members of the classic quartet. Rounding out the lineup are Jon Auer and Ken Stringfellow of fellow power-poppers the Posies. Auer and Stringfellow have been part of Big Star since 1993, when the group reformed to tour. Tracklist:

01 Dony
02 Lady Sweet
03 Best Chance We've Ever Had
04 Turn My Back on the Sun
05 Love Revolution
06 February's Quiet
07 Mine Exclusively
08 A Whole New Thing
09 Aria Largo
10 Hung Up With Summer
11 Do You Wanna Make It
12 Makeover

Big Star recorded three much-lauded albums in their brief time together, 1972's #1 Record, 1974's Radio City and Third/Sister Lovers, which was released after the band imploded. Formed in 1971 in Memphis by singer/guitarist Chris Bell, Big Star melded British Invasion pop/rock with Chilton's penchant for eccentricity. Bell and Chilton had a turbulent partnership and Bell exited the group in 1972, after the release of #1 Record. Bell later died in a car crash in 1978 at the age of 27. Commercially unsuccessful and ignored during their time, Big Star gained notoriety later when acts such as REM and Teenage Fanclub cited them as major influences-- not to mention the Replacements' song "Alex Chilton".

* Rykodisc: http://www.rykodisc.com/
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/05-07/26.shtml

I don't have high hopes, FWIW.
Old 07-27-05, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Based on Alex Chilton's post Big Star output, I don't either. There was a time for this band. That time passed a long time ago.
Old 07-27-05, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That first song "Donny" is really a weak weak song. It sounds like a solo Chilton outtake. Hope the others are better or I'll just keep on keepin' on with Teenage Fanclub.
Old 07-27-05, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
That first song "Donny" is really a weak weak song. It sounds like a solo Chilton outtake. Hope the others are better or I'll just keep on keepin' on with Teenage Fanclub.
Let's face it, it would take a pretty damn amazing album to come anywhere near their legacy. Something tells me Chilton doesn't have that in him.
Old 08-17-05, 02:24 AM
Banned

This album has leaked.
Been listening to it all day, I can't call it a disappointment because I was expecting it to be bad. But yes, it is bad.
Old 08-17-05, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Without Chris Bell, I can't think of it as "Big Star." Chilton's solo stuff has been notoriously uneven, although I like his "Best Of" CD I have somewhere at home. I wish they'd called it a different name rather than trying to live up to the Big Star legacy.
Old 08-17-05, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
Without Chris Bell, I can't think of it as "Big Star." Chilton's solo stuff has been notoriously uneven, although I like his "Best Of" CD I have somewhere at home. I wish they'd called it a different name rather than trying to live up to the Big Star legacy.
Well they recorded two classic albums without Bell and their best known song, September Girls didn't have him on it.

But those days are too long gone and I have a feeling Chilton is just trying to ride on the name.

Most bands never made 1 classic album. They were 3 for 3. Why not just leave it alone?