Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Depeche Mode news (first sneak peek of new album!!)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-05, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Sounds promising!

The forthcoming Depeche Mode album, slated for release on October 17, is going to be called Playing The Angel, the band revealed today at an exclusive listening session at Home House in London.

Songs include the first single, Precious, out two weeks before the album, Sinner in Me, Suffer Well, John the Revelator, Macrovision, A Pain That I'm Used To and I Want It All.

Martin provides the lead on Macrovision and one other, yet to be revealed, song.

One participant at the session says that the album "is very well produced, Ben Hillier has done a brilliant job. It is clear and defined, but also solidly layered like the two Flood produced albums. It is very bass heavy, which is great, and Dave is on very fine voice."

In addition there's been songs tentatively titled Everything, Martyr For Love and Free - whether these have changed names or will even be on the album remains to be seen.

The album has been described as dark, and the underlying theme of the album is said to be pain and suffering. "The album," explained Fletch at a recent press conference, "is not as digital as Exciter. It's a bit perhaps more organic... warmer maybe."

The album was recorded in Santa Barbara (Sound Design), New York (Stratosphere) and London. Working with the band in the studio were producer Ben Hillier as well as Dave McCracken and Richard Morris. The sleeve for the album will once again be done by Anton Corbijn.
Old 07-06-05, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah sounds very cool, but why not just get Flood to produce it

Last edited by TripWire; 07-06-05 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-06-05, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
I'll believe it when I hear it. Before Exciter came out, they kept saying it was going to be like Black Celebration. That was quite a disappointment.
Old 07-06-05, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sherm42
I'll believe it when I hear it. Before Exciter came out, they kept saying it was going to be like Black Celebration. That was quite a disappointment.

Who said that!? No, seriously. Because that comparison I never heard. And the second I heard Mark Bell was producing it ("Exciter"), I knew it was going to be "lite".
Old 07-06-05, 12:08 PM

I remember reading it here on this forum in an article that was posted that was exactly like the one posted in this thread. It was a preview article about Exciter before it was released.
Old 07-06-05, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It is very bass heavy

...and the "dancier", more rhythmic the better. Ballads are fine and all, but not for almost an entire album like EXCITER.
Old 07-06-05, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Who said that!? No, seriously. Because that comparison I never heard. And the second I heard Mark Bell was producing it ("Exciter"), I knew it was going to be "lite".
Damn I am good at research. Here is the article I read which includes a quote near the end by Fletcher:

http://www.nme.com/news/15146.htm

DEPECHE GET FANS IN THE MODE(M)

DEPECHE MODE are giving fans a preview of their new album 'EXCITER', to be released through MUTE on May 14.

Snippets of the first new material from the band since 1997's multi-million selling 'Ultra' will be available as MP3 downloads from www.depechemode.com as of tomorrow (January 31) at 8am GMT, with two exclusive excerpts being posted daily. The site currently hosts a brief soundclip of the first single to be culled from the album, 'Dream On', which is released on April 23.

Martin Gore, Andrew Fletcher and Dave Gahan recorded the album in Santa Barbara, New York and London.

The band, who have sold more than 50 million albums since 1981, worked with producer Mark Bell for the first time on 'Exciter', the man behind the mixing desk with Bjork on her 'Homogenic' and the critically-lauded soundtrack 'Selmasongs', who Fletcher described as "very important" to the making of 'Exciter' in the way he used vocals almost as an instrument.

Other new tracks on the album include 'The Sweetest Condition', 'When the Body Speaks', 'Goodnight Lovers', 'Freelove', 'I Am You' and 'Breathe', which features Gore on vocals.

Gahan admitted that he was "physically" unable to give 100% to their last album, 'Ultra'. "When you're singing a song, it's like you can just disappear into it. It's the only way I can describe it really. And I did that. It's a really luxurious place to be. I wanted to do that with every song. On 'Ultra' I was not able to do that because I wasn't physically able to bring all of myself to it. Now I feel like I'm firing on all cylinders."

Fletcher, who said he feels the new album most strongly resembles 'Black Celebration' in the strength of its songs, added: "Because of the problems in the band during the last two studio albums, the creativity was cut off to a certain extent. Now relations between us are better than they have been for a long time and that has carried over to the album."

Live dates look likely to be scheduled around late-spring or early summer to coincide with the album's release.
Old 07-06-05, 12:19 PM

Okay, looking at that quote it does not exactly say it will sound like Black Celebration, but its still close to claiming it will be as good as that album.

And how the hell could they bash Ultra that much? It was way better than Exciter.
Old 07-06-05, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, looking at that quote it does not exactly say it will sound like Black Celebration, but its still close to claiming it will be as good as that album.

And how the hell could they bash Ultra that much? It was way better than Exciter.
I didn't read that as bashing as much as the band weren't at their best when they recorded "Ultra". Specifically in Dave's case with his health/drug issues. But yes, "Ultra" is FAR superior to "Exciter". I'll even say it kicked it's ass
Old 07-06-05, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Excellent news....

Pro-B
Old 07-06-05, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Agreed!
Old 07-06-05, 05:06 PM

Bass heavy makes me think 'Ultra', which makes me happy.
Old 07-06-05, 06:05 PM

Glad to see that there are a lot of other people who dig Ultra. That was a great album.
Old 07-07-05, 08:54 PM

Hey i like to know who wrote the songs for this martin or dave & martin does anyone know for sure?
Old 07-08-05, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
Over the years I've seen a lot of 'Ultra' bashing which is really too bad. I think it's a marvelous album ranking just a tad below SoFaD for me. I haven't been able to get into Exciter at all; it was dead on arrival for me so I really hope this album returns to form.

Anyhow, can't wait til the new album comes out

Michael
Old 07-09-05, 05:26 AM

Love Depeche Mode, but Exciter was just a snooze-fest.
Old 07-10-05, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Daytripper
The album has been described as dark, and the underlying theme of the album is said to be pain and suffering. "The album," explained Fletch at a recent press conference, "is not as digital as Exciter. It's a bit perhaps more organic

Damn! does this mean Dave's back on the drugs again?!

In all honesty looking forward to hearing this, particularly as it seemed at one point that 'issues' between Martin and Dave would have prevented this from ever happening.
Still, will be seeing them live again (5th time) here in the UK in 2006 so very much looking forward to that particularly as i keep thinking each one is going to be their last..lol
Old 07-10-05, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Haven't cared about DM since "Violator". While they haven't exactly sucked, they seem to have gone the way of most great acts and don't really have much to add anymore. I'd love to be proven wrong, though
Old 07-10-05, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ROBERTCOP34
Hey i like to know who wrote the songs for this martin or dave & martin does anyone know for sure?
Dave wrote two songs. God help us Hopefully, they'll be B-sides. Heh.
Old 07-15-05, 09:48 AM

Besides 'Dream On' / 'Freelove' / 'When The Body Speaks', Exciter was pretty much a complete waste.
Old 07-19-05, 09:38 PM
Cool New Member

If you want to hear lead single "Precious", links to both the song and video can be found on the Depeche Mode forum.
Old 07-19-05, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by alexcuse
If you want to hear lead single "Precious", links to both the song and video can be found on the Depeche Mode forum.
I likes!
Old 07-20-05, 10:57 AM

The video is up on Ifilm, doubt for long. It's an unfinished edit with storyboard mixed in. Looks like a lot of cgi background is not done yet either. Checkin it out right now.

Last edited by TripWire; 07-20-05 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-20-05, 12:09 PM

I love this song... It reminds me of something that could be off Violator or Ultra either one.

Rock on!
Old 07-20-05, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, the video is gone from IFilms. The song is outstanding, to say the least. Sounds like it could be lifted right from "Violator". Mainly because of the many similarities to "Enjoy the Silence". It's their best single in years. Since "ETS" actually. I predict huge things for this song and album. Based on the production of "Precious". Depeche Mode are BACK!!!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.