Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Volume III: 'Live 8' Benefit Concerts - the aftermath

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Volume III: 'Live 8' Benefit Concerts - the aftermath

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-05, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Originally Posted by grim_tales
The "who the fuck are you" line in "Who Are You?" wasn't edited by the BBC in the UK either The Who rocked IMO.

some folks complained

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4648051.stm
Old 07-04-05, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Old 07-04-05, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by dfriedland
A link to the complete Pink Floyd segment.....
http://yee.is-useless.org/Live%208%2...0(webcast).wmv

Will have to watch that over and over again. Thanks so much!
Old 07-04-05, 11:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LorenzoL
Def Leppard did two songs and one of them was Pour Some Sugar on Me. I forget what the other one was.
The other song was Rock of Ages.
Old 07-04-05, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

BTW, I have been listening to the AOL rebroadcast of the London concert at work and they start off with the U2 performance of "Beautiful Day" and it stops with Snoop Dogg performance, returning to the beginning of the U2 performance.
Old 07-04-05, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LorenzoL
BTW, I have been listening to the AOL rebroadcast of the London concert at work and they start off with the U2 performance of "Beautiful Day" and it stops with Snoop Dogg performance, returning to the beginning of the U2 performance.
I started the Global one last night. It starts with Will Smith introducing Black Eyed Peas in Philly.

Also here are direct links to each of the feeds, so you can play them in wmp instead of on an internet browser.

Global mms://live8us.stream.aol.com/live/aol/boc_webcast1_460
London mms://live8us.stream.aol.com/live/aol/boc_webcast2_460
Philly mms://live8us.stream.aol.com/live/aol/boc_webcast3_460
Toronto mms://live8us.stream.aol.com/live/aol/boc_webcast6_460
Berlin mms://live8us.stream.aol.com/live/aol/boc_webcast5_460
Paris mms://live8us.stream.aol.com/live/aol/boc_webcast4_460
Rome mms://live8us.stream.aol.com/live/aol/boc_webcast7_460
Old 07-04-05, 12:40 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I attended the Live 8 concert in Barrie, Ontario. It was insanely great, and I had a great time. It was a great day, but the waiting sucked (my friend and I stayed up all night and got in line at 5am; we were right behind the people who had slept over night there.) Seeing Our Lady Peace, The Tragically Hip, Deep Purple, Gordon Lightfoot and Neil Young (among others) was phenomenal, especially considering we were eight rows from the front (due to running when the gates opened.) I haven't really watched the TV coverage yet.
Old 07-04-05, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by tommyp007
Will have to watch that over and over again. Thanks so much!
Is it me, or does this video not have audio?

Nm, it starts working around the 7 minute mark. Thanks!

Last edited by SpaceBoy; 07-04-05 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-04-05, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Wick
I attended the Live 8 concert in Barrie, Ontario. It was insanely great, and I had a great time. It was a great day, but the waiting sucked (my friend and I stayed up all night and got in line at 5am; we were right behind the people who had slept over night there.) Seeing Our Lady Peace, The Tragically Hip, Deep Purple, Gordon Lightfoot and Neil Young (among others) was phenomenal, especially considering we were eight rows from the front (due to running when the gates opened.) I haven't really watched the TV coverage yet.
What did Neil play?
Old 07-04-05, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by SpaceBoy
Is it me, or does this video not have audio?

I have audio.....
Old 07-04-05, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nazz
What did Neil play?
Neil Young sang "Strong Winds" with his wife Pegi and a new song "When God Made Me" with the Fisk University Jubilee Choir backing him up.

Later he came on the stage with the rest of the performers that were still left in Barrie for a rendition of "Rockin' in the Free World". The show ended with a singing of "Oh Canada".
Old 07-04-05, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Since others have done it in this thread, it seems to be ok to post links. If not, mods please edit this post. 25 performances including PF, The Who, & McCartney can be found at:

http://live8.atspace.com/
Old 07-04-05, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NORML54601
Since others have done it in this thread, it seems to be ok to post links. If not, mods please edit this post. 25 performances including PF, The Who, & McCartney can be found at:

File /files/2759413/The_Killers-Live_at_Live8_London-SAT-07-02-2005-TWCLIVE.rar.html has been deleted.
Reason: THIS FILE IS FORBIDDEN TO BE SHARED! Complaints received.
guess not
Old 07-04-05, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by NORML54601

It looks like they have all been taken down. Thank you for sharing though.
Old 07-04-05, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looks like they cut off the webcasts and have gone to on demand only. Kinda irks me as it isnt the concert feel as much. Also it wont work with my firefox. Tsk. Ce la vie (sp?)
Old 07-04-05, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Missed the entire thing. Actually, that's not true. I saw thirty seconds of MC Lyte and Carson Daly Lyte interrupting Stevie Wonder on MTV to rave about how good a performer he was - then they cut to a commercial. Great job, guys!

I am trying to obtain some performances through *other* means, and I hope AOL gets the "song selection" thingie up soon. I read this in one of the NY papers this weekend, but I couldn't find it there, so I found it elsewhere...

Live 8 performers' swag could add up to $12,000

PHILADELPHIA -- Live 8 performers are playing for free, but local organizers plan to shower the celebrities with a Hugo Boss duffel bag loaded with high-fashion trinkets valued at about $3,000 US.

They'll also be able to add to their goodie bags with big-ticket items including Hugo Boss suits, valued at $800 to $1,000 each; XM satellite radios and subscriptions, $500; Gibson guitars, $2,000; Bertolucci watches, valued between $1,500 and $6,000; and other items.

In all, a celebrity could walk away with a bag of gifts worth as much as $12,000.

"We want this to be a thank-you to the celebrities who are giving up their time and energies," said Nicole Cashman, whose firm was tapped by Larry Magid's Electric Factory Concerts to put the bags together.

One ethicist said there is a disconnect in the fact that the rich gifts are being offered at a concert whose aim is bringing attention to poverty in Africa.

"It's not unethical but it falls into the middle grey zone," Loyola Marymount University business and ethics professor Thomas White told the Philadelphia Inquirer. "Because on one hand the motivation is to help other people, while on the other hand the motivation is to help yourself, and that doesn't seem to go hand in hand."

Another ethics expert said he wonders why the companies who donated the gifts wouldn't just give the money to charity.

"There is nothing stopping the businesses from taking a stand, saying, 'No, we are going to take this money and we are going to give it to the charity,' " said Rushworth Kidder, president of the Institute for Global Ethics in Camden, Maine.
So much for charity, huh?

Though I know Sir Bob had nothing to do with it...
Old 07-04-05, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The swag, flights, acomodations, etc were all covered by the corporate sponsors. I wouldn't blame the performers though. Someone else decided to give them these things, and who is to say that they were accepted?

And on a side note I cant get the on demand performances to work at all. Teh lame.
Old 07-04-05, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Daniel-A
Looks like they cut off the webcasts and have gone to on demand only. Kinda irks me as it isnt the concert feel as much. Also it wont work with my firefox. Tsk. Ce la vie (sp?)
Try this one:

http://music.channel.aol.com/live_8_...t/home/uk_main

It's the UK site, but they still have the concerts available - at least for the moment.
Old 07-04-05, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by naughty jonny
Try this one:

http://music.channel.aol.com/live_8_...t/home/uk_main

It's the UK site, but they still have the concerts available - at least for the moment.
Tried and failed. While the page still shows the concerts up, I'm not getting a feed. Thanks anyway. Wish I could have watched the UK concert once through.
Old 07-04-05, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by Daniel-A
The swag, flights, acomodations, etc were all covered by the corporate sponsors. I wouldn't blame the performers though. Someone else decided to give them these things, and who is to say that they were accepted?
Well, while you're most definitely right about that last part, I don't agree about not "blaming the performers" for accepting them. It's not like Jay-Z or Beyonce need 12k worth of stuff, right? Well, Michelle and Kelly might after DC's "final" tour...

So as i'm sitting here waiting for some kind DVD Talk tech geek to reply to thread about my corrupted partition before heading out, I checked out Pink Floyd's performance on AOL. Let me tell you...i'm not the BIGGEST Floyd fan, but Comfortably Numb gave me goosebumps. I'm hoping these performances make it to DVD uncensored .
Old 07-04-05, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Rogue588
Well, while you're most definitely right about that last part, I don't agree about not "blaming the performers" for accepting them. It's not like Jay-Z or Beyonce need 12k worth of stuff, right?
Yeah, but what else could they do? Sell it themselves and send the cash to charity? A bit of work for what they would be receiving
Well, Michelle and Kelly might after DC's "final" tour...
Bitchonce is such an annoyance. I know it is unlikely but I hope her mates find a way to outshine her.
So as i'm sitting here waiting for some kind DVD Talk tech geek to reply to thread about my corrupted partition before heading out, I checked out Pink Floyd's performance on AOL. Let me tell you...i'm not the BIGGEST Floyd fan, but Comfortably Numb gave me goosebumps. I'm hoping these performances make it to DVD uncensored .
I'm sure there will be ways of getting it in its true form.
Old 07-04-05, 09:26 PM
Banned

If it's 8 DVDs and anamorphic, it'll be in my collection.
Since none of it was filmed in hidef, you won't be getting anamorphic.

The "who the fuck are you" line in "Who Are You?" wasn't edited by the BBC in the UK either
Nothing in the UK was edited. Madonna said "fuck" many times and none of it was censored.
Old 07-05-05, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Madonna said "fuck" many times and none of it was censored.
Yeah, and at the risk of incurring the wrath of a Madonna fan that doesn't know how to return emails after awhile, I was kinda underwhelmed by her performance of "Like A Prayer".

It sounded too....mechanical.
Old 07-05-05, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Something I noticed about this concert from my younger siblings: No matter how good a performance was, if they don't like the artists they always resort to "they suck," or "that song sucks." Made me feel bad when they said that of u2/who/pf/crue/boomtown and especially robbie williams, who I personally don't like the music of but had to admit he really rocked London. Good performers make even music you don't like much better, while most of today's rock/punk/alternative/emo artists are out to make a good album first and get no love from me when they can't perform worth shit live.
Old 07-05-05, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
What I saw I definately liked. Brought back amazing memories of Live Aid. Anyone else feeling increased awareness of whatever it was about? Me too.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.