Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Volume III: 'Live 8' Benefit Concerts - the aftermath

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Volume III: 'Live 8' Benefit Concerts - the aftermath

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-05, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Originally Posted by Thunderball
Thats the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I want the London show and I'm not buying a region free player for it.
If I need to buy a decent, inexpensive player just to get Pink Floyd, I will. I'm sure we'll all agree that the Pink Floyd set should be STANDARD on all sets. Period.

The great thing about the Pink Floyd set is that they sounded like Pink Floyd. Almost like the last 20 years never happened. I'm estatic that no one had to say "Wow, it's great to see them together but, man, they sound like shit. Sad".

Roger looked like he was really enjoying the moment. David looked a little nonchalant, and that has me worried about a possible tour. Maybe I didn't read him right. It should be interesting to read their post-concert comments.
Old 07-03-05, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Originally Posted by Decker
.. One thing (and I'm almost hesitant to bring it up), but since I know they didn't reunite for money or to increase their profile, it did seem more than a little greedy and crass to have an ad on the ABC broadcast promoting "Echoes" which is a four-year-old compilation.
I watched both the MTV and AOL broadcasts and they were running ads for many artists' CDs on MTV. Don't blame the artists but point the finger at the CD publishers for paying for the ad spots.
Old 07-03-05, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had to work yesterday, so I missed it live. How far into the London feed did Pink Floyd perform? I'm streaming it (rebroadcast) now via AOL and it's starting with The Who. I could not find a playlist on-line anywhere.

Brilliant!!!!!

I wonder if they will release the concert on 8 DVD's (one for each concert)? That would be cool. Maybe add some backstage footage and commentary as extras.

Sonic
Old 07-03-05, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I recorded most of the day from CTV on my DVR and was able to FF past most of the stuff I didn't care for. I copied the Deep Purple (they were great, but Ian Gilllian needs to die his hair black) and Motley Crue performances. I didn't copy Pink Floyd because they showed only one song at the time and I wanted the whole set.
Old 07-03-05, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
I only wish they could have done a simultaneous TV broadcast of all the shows on different channels. The AOL thing was cool, but watching the performances in a little window on my PC didn't quite cut it in comparison to what my TV/stereo can do. And MTV's coverage was horrendous. They should never, ever, ever be given access to an event of this magnitude again.
Old 07-03-05, 11:05 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonicflood
I wonder if they will release the concert on 8 DVD's (one for each concert)? That would be cool. Maybe add some backstage footage and commentary as extras.
If it's 8 DVDs and anamorphic, it'll be in my collection. Otherwise... we'll see what the Canadian R1 disc is like (if any different from the US R1. I mean, I don't think Americans have any interest in The Tragically Hip, whereas leaving them out on the Canadian DVD would be a travesty)

edit: also, here's hoping for a 6.1 DTS track...
Old 07-03-05, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just watched Pink Floyd. What a great experience that was. Glad it happened.

I was hoping to see McCartney doing "Helter Skelter", but surprise of surprises, MTV didn't show it.
Old 07-03-05, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The "who the fuck are you" line in "Who Are You?" wasn't edited by the BBC in the UK either The Who rocked IMO.

I must admit Robbie Williams' "Angels" is a great song and the man is a fine showman (if a bit overrated )

I loved Paul Macartney at the end. His "Helter Skelter", "Get Back", "Long and Winding Road" "Sergeant Pepper" were tops, and ending the night with the happy-clappy bit from Hey Jude was great

I saw the Madonna clip on the news this morning, with the film of the starving girl from 1985. To see her come out on stage so healthy and beautiful was just.. wow.

Last edited by grim_tales; 07-03-05 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-03-05, 05:20 PM

A link to the complete Pink Floyd segment.....
http://yee.is-useless.org/Live%208%2...0(webcast).wmv
Old 07-03-05, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dfriedland
u are a fuckin god man, thank you (now if you can find the who's set, ill be happy.
Old 07-03-05, 08:06 PM

I found that Pink Floyd link on the Live 8 site in the Blog section.......May be worth checking there.
Old 07-03-05, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I found that Pink Floyd link on the Live 8 site in the Blog section.......May be worth checking there.
i just visited the live 8 site
www.live8live.com and didn't find a "blog section".
Old 07-03-05, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Thanks for the link.
Old 07-03-05, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
i just visited the live 8 site
www.live8live.com and didn't find a "blog section".
Rypro, here is the link for the blog section (lower left hand corner).

http://music.aol.com/live_8_concert/live_now
Old 07-03-05, 09:44 PM
Banned

The Pink Floyd performance had me crying like baby. And I don't EVER cry. It really is AMAZING what emotions music can make you feel. Especially from a group of guys who have burried some sort of hatchet if only for a couple weeks to bring the world 15 minutes of musical bliss.

I might watch that WYWH everyday for the next month to see if it ever gets old.

God bless you Bob Geldof.
Old 07-03-05, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was unable to watch at all yesterday except for the highlight reel on ABC (very sad). I plan on spending (maybe it should be wasting) watching the previously live feeds on AOL. Anyone got any idea how I should do it? Things I shouldn't miss? Could I get away with just watching the global feed? I wish I could fast forward some of the things. I checked out the Paris feed first and the first thing I saw was about 10 minutes of nothing then Shakira's very shaky body

Is there a band/set list for each concert I can see somewhere, that may influence what I see. I have no interest in seeing Mariah Carey :shudder: or some others
Old 07-03-05, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Daniel-A
Is there a band/set list for each concert I can see somewhere, that may influence what I see. I have no interest in seeing Mariah Carey :shudder: or some others
On the AOL page that has the streaming videos there is a graphic that states: "Come back soon to watch the entire show song by song on demand." If you wait a few days you should be able to pick and choose what to watch.
Old 07-03-05, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Detective Thorn
On the AOL page that has the streaming videos there is a graphic that states: "Come back soon to watch the entire show song by song on demand." If you wait a few days you should be able to pick and choose what to watch.
That would be ideal. Considdering a lot of the feeds I've been checking come with a lot of set up time. I'd love for an all expansive DVD of the performances. But I'd imagine it would take quite a few DVDs. 9 concert some clocking it at 8+ hours.
Old 07-04-05, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Finally saw the Floyd set - what a thing of beauty - too bad they didn't play anything from Meddle.

I think I had goose-bumps throughout the set.
Old 07-04-05, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
Thanks for the Floyd link. That was awesome. They sounded great, and seemed to enjoy themselves. Especially Waters. I can't recall Gilmour ever really seeming to enjoy himself onstage. In the videos I have, he plays pretty much like he did tonight.

Which, by the way, has always been phenominal.

It's also good to see that they finally got an attractive background female singer.
Old 07-04-05, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mndtrp
Thanks for the Floyd link. That was awesome. They sounded great, and seemed to enjoy themselves. Especially Waters.
Waters waiving Gilmour over at the end...wow...that blew me away.
Old 07-04-05, 07:49 AM

It sucked ! there was more airtime for those dumb VJs than live performences. I hope they will release the full concert on DVD.

Sade
Old 07-04-05, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
I found the lack of Metal acts sad but not surprising.
Old 07-04-05, 08:34 AM

Didn't get to see the whole Floyd set in Canada; but i'm speechless. BTW what did Def Leppard and Velvet Revolver play? Didn't get to see either one at all. Thanks..
Old 07-04-05, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gcomeau
Didn't get to see the whole Floyd set in Canada; but i'm speechless. BTW what did Def Leppard and Velvet Revolver play? Didn't get to see either one at all. Thanks..
Def Leppard did two songs and one of them was Pour Some Sugar on Me. I forget what the other one was.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.