Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Smashing Pumpkins to reform

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Smashing Pumpkins to reform

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-15, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Smashing Pumpkins to reform

I would guess for most the real loss was Jimmy Chamberlain. If Corgan tried to minimize Chamberlain's influence on the first 5 albums, he would be full of shit.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 04-08-15 at 02:38 PM.
Old 04-08-15, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
I would guess for most the real loss was Billy Chamberlain. If Corgan tried to minimize Chamberlain's influence on the first 5 albums, he would be full of shit.
You of course mean Jimmy.
Old 04-08-15, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
I would guess for most the real loss was Billy Chamberlain. If Corgan tried to minimize Chamberlain's influence on the first 5 albums, he would be full of shit.
Eh, Zeitgeist was a collaboration between Corgan and Chamberlain and IMO it didn't set the world on fire.
Old 04-08-15, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
You of course mean Jimmy.
Doh! Fixed.
Old 04-08-15, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
Eh, Zeitgeist was a collaboration between Corgan and Chamberlain and IMO it didn't set the world on fire.
But it wasn't nearly as bad as many people would say.

Most artists have a hard time regaining the level of popularity they had before a long hiatus. The Cars, one of the biggest bands of the 80's, barely registered a blip on the radar a few years back when they released a new album.
Old 04-08-15, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
Neither did Adore, but it's my favorite. IMO Zeitgeist was good, but not as good as the previous releases.
Old 04-08-15, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jimmy didn't play on Adore.
Old 04-08-15, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by hdtv00
My only problem is Billy thinks he's THE genius of the 90's and pearl jam, Nirvana and who ever else are hacks. He's the true real talent of that era.
Yeah, that's definitely another thing I dislike about Corgan. He really likes to toot his own horn and make it seem like he's this musical genuis or something and others from that same era aren't close to on his level. I know he recently trashed both Dave Grohl and Eddie Vedder and essentially made it out like he and Kurt Cobain are the only two from that era who made any real contributions.

I was never a big fan of any of those groups, Pearl Jam being my fav of the bunch. What I do know is I went to Pearl Jam show in Moline, Illinois and it blew me away. First Pearl Jam concert ever and I'll tell ya what I was beyond impressed and would pay up to do it again.
Honestly I feel like Pearl Jam is a fairly underappreciated band by a lot of people. It seems like they get overlooked a lot by most people even though they do have a fairly faithful fanbase. I really can't think of a lot of groups who have been around for twenty-four years who have managed to keep pretty much all their original members. The only member who hasn't been around since the beginning is Matt Cameron and they've swapped drummers a few times, but Cameron has been with them since 1998 so really for a good chunk of their career. Most bands who have been around that long also don't tour consistently and still play three plus hour shows either. I have a ton of respect for Pearl Jam aside from being a big fan of their music.
Old 04-08-15, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86
Honestly I feel like Pearl Jam is a fairly underappreciated band by a lot of people. It seems like they get overlooked a lot by most people even though they do have a fairly faithful fanbase. I really can't think of a lot of groups who have been around for twenty-four years who have managed to keep pretty much all their original members. The only member who hasn't been around since the beginning is Matt Cameron and they've swapped drummers a few times, but Cameron has been with them since 1998 so really for a good chunk of their career. Most bands who have been around that long also don't tour consistently and still play three plus hour shows either. I have a ton of respect for Pearl Jam aside from being a big fan of their music.
And some of those guys have been together even longer as members of Mother Love Bone and Green River.
Old 04-08-15, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, that's definitely another thing I dislike about Corgan. He really likes to toot his own horn and make it seem like he's this musical genuis or something and others from that same era aren't close to on his level. I know he recently trashed both Dave Grohl and Eddie Vedder and essentially made it out like he and Kurt Cobain are the only two from that era who made any real contributions.

I really don't care for much of anything after No Code. But those first four PJ albums I could put on pretty much straight and be very happy.
Old 04-11-15, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, that's definitely another thing I dislike about Corgan. He really likes to toot his own horn and make it seem like he's this musical genuis or something and others from that same era aren't close to on his level.
I admit that I've certainly found great inspiration from the first 3 SP album era, but I'm inclined to agree that he's not as great of a musical genius as he might think. If that were the case, these last two albums would have been fantastic.

I think things were pretty good for SP, but the massive sales of Mellon Collie made Billy believe he was way bigger & better than he really was.
Old 04-11-15, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

Drum+ Fife one of his new songs a tribute to the troops is not that bad.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uuSLpa5bQvE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-27-16, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

For the first time in 16 years, guitarist James Iha joined his former Smashing Pumpkins bandmates Billy Corgan and drummer Jimmy Chamberlin onstage at the band's Saturday night concert at Los Angeles' Ace Hotel.

"Yes, it's James Iha," Corgan told the incredulous crowd. Iha, who celebrated his 48th birthday Saturday, reunited with the Smashing Pumpkins for a series of tracks off the group's landmark 1993 LP Siamese Dream, including "Mayonaise," "Soma," "Rocket," "Today," "Disarm," "Spaceboy" and Pisces Iscariot's "Whir."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...ncert-20160327

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSYTpbLtaVo

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sSYTpbLtaVo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-27-16, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...ncert-20160327

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSYTpbLtaVo

<iframe-disabled width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sSYTpbLtaVo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe-disabled>
Awesome!
Old 02-15-18, 11:18 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

The Smashing Pumpkins "Shiny And Oh So Bright” Tour- Billy Corgan, James Iha, Jeff Schroeder, and Jimmy Chamberlin celebrating songs from their first 5 albums: Gish, Siamese Dream, Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, Adore, and Machina. Tickets available Friday Feb 23rd beginning at 10AM local.

Smashing Pumpkins 2018 Tour Dates:
07/12 – Glendale, AZ @ Gila River Arena
07/14 – Oklahoma City, OK @ Chesapeake Energy Arena
07/16 – Austin, TX @ Frank Erwin Center
07/17 – Houston, TX @ Toyota Center
07/18 – Dallas, TX @ American Airlines Center
07/20 – Nashville, TN @ Bridgestone Arena
07/21 – Louisville, KY @ KFC Yum! Centre
07/22 – Atlanta, GA @ Infinite Energy Arena
07/24 – Miami, FL @ American Airlines Arena
07/25 – Tampa, FL @ Amalie Arena
07/27 – Baltimore, MD @ Royal Farms Arena
07/28 – Philadelphia, PA @ Wells Fargo Center
07/29 – Uncasville, CT @ Mohegan Sun Arena
07/31 – Boston, MA @ TD Garden
08/01 – New York, NY @ Madison Square Garden
08/04 – Pittsburgh, PA @ PPG Paints Arena
08/05 – Detroit, MI @ Little Caesars Arena
08/07 – Montreal, QC @ Bell Centre
08/08 – Toronto, ON @ Air Canada Centre
08/11 – Columbus, OH @ Schottenstein Center
08/13 – Chicago, IL @ United Center
08/16 – Kansas City, MO @ Sprint Center
08/17 – Indianapolis, IN @ Bankers Life Fieldhouse
08/19 – St. Paul, MN @ Xcel Energy Center
08/20 – Omaha, NE @ Centurylink Center
08/21 – Sioux Falls, SD @ Denny Sanford Premier Center
08/24 – Seattle, WA @ Key Arena
08/25 – Portland, OR @ MODA Center
08/27 – Oakland, CA @ Oracle Arena
08/28 – Sacramento, CA @ Golden 1 Center
08/30 – Los Angeles, CA @ Forum
09/01 – San Diego, CA @ Viejas Arena
09/02 – Las Vegas, NV @ T-Mobile Arena
09/04 – Salt Lake City, UT @ Vivint Smart Home Arena
09/05 – Denver, CO @ Pepsi Center
09/07 – Nampa, ID @ Ford Idaho Center

<iframe width="618" height="347" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_Axm5b3i1gA" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-15-18, 02:53 PM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Those are some pretty big venues. Can he fill them? In the Twin Cities, for example, I'm surprised he's going for the biggest venue with the Xcel Energy Center instead of something respectable and amazing like First Avenue. I mean, Taylor Swift does Xcel. Pearl Jam does Xcel. Is he going to fill that? I loved Smashing Pumpkins, we took a road trip to their final show in Chicago, but I'm not going to this.
Old 02-15-18, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by story
Those are some pretty big venues. Can he fill them? In the Twin Cities, for example, I'm surprised he's going for the biggest venue with the Xcel Energy Center instead of something respectable and amazing like First Avenue. I mean, Taylor Swift does Xcel. Pearl Jam does Xcel. Is he going to fill that? I loved Smashing Pumpkins, we took a road trip to their final show in Chicago, but I'm not going to this.
“William Patrick Corgan” couldn’t fill them, but I think quasi-reunion SP will. I think his last solo tour had plenty of sell outs. Much smaller venues though of course.

I was expecting smaller venues for this though. And I wasn’t expecting this many dates.

Last edited by dex14; 02-15-18 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-15-18, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

I saw "them" play at the Brooklyn Bowl a few years ago -- a SRO performance stage with a bowling alley. Now "they" are going to play in the 18,000 seat home of the Golden Knights three years later? Okay we will see. I will take my daughter, as she's into them as well.
Old 02-15-18, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not going to Baltimore to see them. Come to DC you wankers.
Old 02-15-18, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 451 Likes on 309 Posts

Yeah, those are huge venues, and this isn't the 90's anymore. I have a feeling a lot of those are going to be 1/4-1/3 full, especially in the smaller markets.
Old 02-23-18, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

You'd be surprised... The End Times tour they did 2 years back sold-out some pretty large venues. The bands still got a huge following. Not saying sellouts are on the horizon but to assume 1/4 capacity is something I'd challenge.

That said, got my tickets and I can't wait.

The setlist will be some combination of this according to Billy:
Rhinoceros
Drown
Cherub Rock
Rocket
Today
Disarm
Landslide
Bullet With Butterfly Wings
Thirty-Three
Muzzle
Zero
Ava Adore
Eye
Perfect
Stand Inside Your Love
The Everlasting Gaze
Try, Try, Try
Soma
Mayonaise
Hummer
Porcelina Of The Vast Oceans
To Sheila
For Martha
Blew Away
The Boy
The Beginning Is The End Is The Beginning
Stairway To Heaven
Never Let Me Down
Space Oddity
Love Will Tear Us Apart
Old 02-23-18, 12:25 PM

I got floor seats, 8th row. Tickets for me, my wife and my teenage daughter.

Tickets were $505 for the three seats + a whopping $70 in fees. Ouch.
Old 02-23-18, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by starseed1981

The setlist will be some combination of this according to Billy:
Rhinoceros
Drown
Cherub Rock
Rocket
Today
Disarm
Landslide
Bullet With Butterfly Wings
Thirty-Three
Muzzle
Zero
Ava Adore
Eye
Perfect
Stand Inside Your Love
The Everlasting Gaze
Try, Try, Try
Soma
Mayonaise
Hummer
Porcelina Of The Vast Oceans
To Sheila
For Martha
Blew Away
The Boy
The Beginning Is The End Is The Beginning
Stairway To Heaven
Never Let Me Down
Space Oddity
Love Will Tear Us Apart
Where's
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NOG3eus4ZSo" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-23-18, 12:36 PM

That list is missing songs:

The other day, I shared a set of ours from 1995. Which surprisingly engendered a lot of interest, and it got me thinking why not share our pool of PROPOSED songs (meaning the list we'll use to build The Shiny and Oh So Bright set, so these aren't in any particular order). And since we are a bit aways from going into rehearsals, and I'm sure we've missed a favorite or two, tag me @williampcorgan @jamesihaofficial @chamberdrums and @jjjschroeder as well as @smashingpumpkins or #smashingpumpkins and most importantly #SP2018 with a screen cap of what you'd like to hear. But remember, the goal is to build an epic set! So choose wisely

A post shared by WilliamPatrickCorgan (@williampcorgan) on <time style=" font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:14px; line-height:17px;" datetime="2018-02-23T14:30:02+00:00">Feb 23, 2018 at 6:30am PST</time>

<script async defer src="//www.instagram.com/embed.js"></script>
Old 02-23-18, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice catch.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.