Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Smashing Pumpkins to reform

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Smashing Pumpkins to reform

Old 02-11-11, 10:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Smashing Pumpkins to reform

Wow... Corgan really let himself go...
Old 02-12-11, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl

Old 02-14-11, 03:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ye gods, D'Arcy! What happened. Oh for it to be 1995 again.

Old 02-14-11, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by terrible chong
Ye gods, D'Arcy! What happened. Oh for it to be 1995 again.

I'll tell you what happened, it started when she dated Mickey Rourke. He turned her on to excessive and bad plastic surgery.
Old 02-19-11, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

if you haven't heard, Their new bassist was coincidentially one of the girls on the Siamese Dream cover
Old 02-20-11, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by manicsounds
if you haven't heard, it's a joke
Old 02-20-11, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh that crazy Billy.

When's he gonna do that new Gish boxset?
Old 03-29-15, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 715 Likes on 585 Posts

I bet he is looking for new bandmates again

Billy Corgan has given hints recently that Smashing Pumpkins could be coming to an end, saying in a pair of interviews following the release of Monuments to an Elegy that "The next album is like the end, end, end. The trite way to say it is, 'I'm over rock & roll'" and "The mythology [of the Nineties] right now is irrelevant."

While Corgan briefly quieted the retirement talk, the singer admits, now that the band's most recent trek has ended, that "the future of the Smashing Pumpkins is kind of murky."

"I feel like I really need to evaluate the musical purpose of the Pumpkins because more and more of the audience is fixated on the past," Corgan said (via NME). "I know a lot of the audience will say, 'Well, I like your music better from the Nineties, than, say, the music you're making today.' But I know they're not listening to the music of today, as much as they were listening to that music… I'm the type of artist that I don't wanna exist in something that is sort of fading like an iceberg into the past."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...murky-20150325

Old 03-29-15, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Boo hoo Billy. He's such a drama queen. I always hated when their popularity dipped in the 90's and he made that statement about Cobain's death really taking the wind out of their sails. I think he/they have made good music, but just like a lot of big bands people wanna hear the classics.
Old 03-29-15, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

I can't even listen to the Smashing Pumpkins anymore because I dislike Corgan so much. I was never their hugest fan but I used to like some of their older albums (mostly Siamese Dream).
Old 03-30-15, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I kind of get what he's saying. He'd rather be making new music than playing past hits for all eternity. If you become nothing but someone playing past hits, that's pretty much admitting you're washed up.

Then again, he resurrected the name of his band from the 90's.

I honestly didn't think "Zeitgeist" was that bad, other than being told I have to buy 3 versions to get the full track list.
Old 03-31-15, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If Smashing Pumpkins is dead, that can only mean it's time for a Zwan reunion.
Old 03-31-15, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"I feel like I really need to evaluate the musical purpose of the Pumpkins because more and more of the audience is fixated on the past," Corgan said (via NME). "I know a lot of the audience will say, 'Well, I like your music better from the Nineties, than, say, the music you're making today.' But I know they're not listening to the music of today, as much as they were listening to that music… I'm the type of artist that I don't wanna exist in something that is sort of fading like an iceberg into the past."

What better way to move on from the 1990's than to go on a co-headlining tour with Marilyn Manson?

The Smashing Pumpkins and Marilyn Manson announce summer tour
Old 03-31-15, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm sort of glad they are not coming near enough to me. I would have felt compelled to waste my time and money and go.
Old 03-31-15, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,189 Likes on 915 Posts

I saw the Smashing Pumpkins once when they opened up for Kiss back in 1998 at Dodger Stadium.
Old 04-03-15, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by UAIOE
I kind of get what he's saying. He'd rather be making new music than playing past hits for all eternity. If you become nothing but someone playing past hits, that's pretty much admitting you're washed up.

Then again, he resurrected the name of his band from the 90's.

I honestly didn't think "Zeitgeist" was that bad, other than being told I have to buy 3 versions to get the full track list.
I get what he's saying but the guy just comes off as such a fucking drama queen its annoying. Plus like you mentioned he resurrected the name Smashing Pumpkins rather than creating a new band name or just using his name for a solo act so in a sense I would already call him washed up because he has to live off that to get people to listen to his new output.
Old 04-03-15, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, there definitely should have been a name change once the original foursome broke up. It's not like anybody paying attention really thinks it is really anything more than Corgan solo projects at this point.
Old 04-07-15, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86
I get what he's saying but the guy just comes off as such a fucking drama queen its annoying. Plus like you mentioned he resurrected the name Smashing Pumpkins rather than creating a new band name or just using his name for a solo act so in a sense I would already call him washed up because he has to live off that to get people to listen to his new output.
Which is why I called him on that.

"Monuments" is alright, but its not what I'm looking for. What I want in rock music is distorted guitars kicking in and such. Billy isn't doing that, and I'm not going to ask for "Siamese Dream" 100x over.

I don't have a problem looking for my music fix elsewhere. I'd rather find new bands than listen to the same 8 albums forever.
Old 04-07-15, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Yes, there definitely should have been a name change once the original foursome broke up. It's not like anybody paying attention really thinks it is really anything more than Corgan solo projects at this point.
Do you know how many bands are touring with 2, 3, 4 replacement members and the same name?
Old 04-07-15, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Do you know how many bands are touring with 2, 3, 4 replacement members and the same name?
Of course I do, and I feel exactly the same way about all of them. Unless you can find a post where I've implied otherwise this seems to be a really strange comment to direct at me.

Personally I have very little music in my collection from "bands" that have swapped multiple members over time. And even then it's partially due to the completest part of me now that I don't have to buy physical CD's to hear music. For example, I have the new "Pumpkins" stuff after Machina in digital form, but I didn't may anything for it.

I tend to be a fan of bands not names.
Old 04-07-15, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, there definitely should have been a name change once the original foursome broke up.
Wasn't that the point of Zwan? And it completely failed.
Old 04-07-15, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And continued output of "The Smashing Pumpkins" has been a smashing success? Same stuff, different names?
Old 04-07-15, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Of course I do, and I feel exactly the same way about all of them. Unless you can find a post where I've implied otherwise this seems to be a really strange comment to direct at me.
It's directed at you because YOU ARE THE ONE WHO SAID IT.
Old 04-07-15, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
It's directed at you because YOU ARE THE ONE WHO SAID IT.
I've been very consistent in my posts about the "bands" touring in name only.
Old 04-08-15, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

My only problem is Billy thinks he's THE genius of the 90's and pearl jam, Nirvana and who ever else are hacks. He's the true real talent of that era.

I was never a big fan of any of those groups, Pearl Jam being my fav of the bunch. What I do know is I went to Pearl Jam show in Moline, Illinois and it blew me away. First Pearl Jam concert ever and I'll tell ya what I was beyond impressed and would pay up to do it again.

Do I even think about going to a smashing pumpkin so called show, as you guys pointed out they broke up, well no I don't not really. Do I think Billy is the genius he thinks he is, not that I see. They had some good stuff sure, but it's over they broke up and that's that, it was pretty stupid of him to even use the name. But that's an act of a desperate musician trying to cling onto something from the past. Even though he says that's just what he doesn't want. Right Billy...right.

Heres the pic you should've used of darcy

Gee from that last pic you'd think it was her that corrupted him. he still looks normal there if you ask me.

Last edited by hdtv00; 04-08-15 at 01:03 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.