Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Smashing Pumpkins to reform

Old 02-23-18, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Smashing Pumpkins to reform

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I got floor seats, 8th row. Tickets for me, my wife and my teenage daughter.

Tickets were $505 for the three seats + a whopping $70 in fees. Ouch.
And that's why I'm not going. I have a feeling the concert will be either on Blu or otherwise available professional shot at some point.

I may check out Stub Hub a few weeks before the show when they are desperate to give them away.
Old 02-23-18, 11:40 PM

No doubt that these will be good shows, but that song list leaves much to be desired. Seriously, a reunion without any deep cuts?
Old 02-24-18, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by david12 View Post
No doubt that these will be good shows, but that song list leaves much to be desired. Seriously, a reunion without any deep cuts?
Uh, what? Read that list again.
Old 02-24-18, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
And that's why I'm not going. I have a feeling the concert will be either on Blu or otherwise available professional shot at some point.

I may check out Stub Hub a few weeks before the show when they are desperate to give them away.
You could easily get tickets at $35...$55...$75...+ fees when they went on sale.
Old 02-24-18, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
You could easily get tickets at $35...$55...$75...+ fees when they went on sale.
If I'm going to a concert, I'm going to get (relatively) good seats. I see no point in paying anything for a show that I can't see anything. If I'm going to watch a show on a monitor, I can do that on YouTube for free in my underwear with my own beer.
Old 02-24-18, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
Yeah, those are huge venues, and this isn't the 90's anymore. I have a feeling a lot of those are going to be 1/4-1/3 full, especially in the smaller markets.
Out of curiosity, I just checked what seats you could get now, some 36 hours after they went on sale :

My seats (bought the moment they went on sale) were Sec C Floor, stage right, Row H. Now you would get Sec B, stage middle, Row X. So only 16 rows of seats further back, and more in the middle to boot.

This one is going to be pretty empty, I'd guess.
Old 02-25-18, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I feel pretty good that I'll be able to get good seats way under ticket price a few weeks before the show when desperation kicks in.
Old 02-25-18, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
I feel pretty good that I'll be able to get good seats way under ticket price a few weeks before the show when desperation kicks in.
You’re probably right. Take a look at this http://consequenceofsound.net/2018/0...ing-very-well/
Old 02-25-18, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, unfortunately, that's pretty much how I expected it to go. Too bad. I hate to see that happen to an artist I like.
Old 03-05-18, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd rather watch this show (I was at) for free from the comfort of my home than entertain the prospect of seeing this trainwreck of a tour

Old 06-17-18, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
You’re probably right. Take a look at this http://consequenceofsound.net/2018/0...ing-very-well/
They waited too long for the reunion and probably Corgan destroyed the brand with new band members every other year.

Their new single

Old 07-13-18, 08:54 AM

First show is in the books...

Smashing Pumpkins at Gila River Arena – 7/12/18 Setlist
Disarm
Rocket
Siva
Rhinoceros
Space Oddity (David Bowie cover)
Drown
Zero
The Everlasting Gaze
Stand Inside Your Love
Thirty-Three
Eye
Soma
Blew Away (First performance since 2000)
For Martha
To Sheila
Mayonaise
Porcelina of the Vast Oceans
Landslide (Fleetwood Mac cover)
Tonight, Tonight
Stairway to Heaven (Led Zeppelin cover)
Cherub Rock
Ava Adore
Try, Try, Try (First performance since 2008)
The Beginning Is the End Is the Beginning
Hummer
Today
Bullet With Butterfly Wings
Muzzle

Encore:
Solara
Baby Mine ([Disney] cover)
Old 07-13-18, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's actually not a bad setlist at all. MUCH better than the 20th anniversary shows which I wasted my money on. I'd definitely leave before the encore though. To get some of the deeper cuts along with Soma AND Mayo is pretty damn cool. I may see if I can catch the Baltimore show if that's going to be the setlist night to night.
Old 07-13-18, 11:49 AM

They're having a sale on the show near me for Friday 13th, so I picked up a ticket for $25.
Old 07-13-18, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm surprised to see that this tour is actually selling pretty decently in most markets.
Old 07-13-18, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was waiting to see what they are playing, but I dig it, so I'm going to try to get tix for this.
Old 07-16-18, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

At the Austin show, Metric as the opener was a nice surprise - somehow I missed they were the supporting act.

Decent sized crowd, but definitely a lot of empty seats.
Old 07-17-18, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just got home. Crowd filled in nicely just before SP took the stage, so ignore that in my last post.

Great show, if you're at all a fan of the Pumpkins and you can make one of the dates, you should.
Old 07-18-18, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Caught the show in Houston last night and it was very good. I was tracking tickets thru Stubhub and
Seatgeek all day yesterday and all were gone by the time the show started and the arena seemed full so I think they got a lot of last-minute walk up business. I think the buzz oon this tour is building and many who were on the fence are deciding to go.

The song selection was great with a couple of exceptions. Try, Try, Try, while a decent song, really does not work well in venues this big. After pummeling the audience with Cherub Rock, 1979, and Ava Adore, the energy level in the arena plummeted when Try, Try, Try was played after those. However, I can't really complain when all but a couple of songs in a 30 song set work.

The only songs that were not in the set that I would have kinda expected were X.Y.U and Starla, as X.Y.U. has been in their set for years and Starla is a fan favorite. They did play all of the obvious singles except for Perfect, which isn't a very good live song anyway.

All in all, a great experience and I hope they can keep the momentum going, record some new shit, and stay together.
Old 07-18-18, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the reviews. I sucked it up and bought some tickets the other day. Tons of good seats still available. I bought floor seats - 13th row. Gonna take my 14 year old son.

He and I just went to the Imagine Dragons concert in Raleigh the beginning of July. Should be an interesting comparison though neither are alike.

I have to say I had gotten used to see the old fogies on stage the last several years and was blown away by the lead singer's energy on Imagine Dragons. I am going for the talent rather than the energy for Smashing Pumpkins (and also because I own almost everything they have done along with solo stuff and have never seen them live).
Old 07-31-18, 10:11 AM

I'll be at this.

Smashing Pumpkins are currently on a massive reunion tour, featuring Billy Corgan alongside classic lineup members James Iha and Jimmy Chamberlin. Now, the band have announced their upcoming show in Holmdel, New Jersey, will be a special performance celebrating the band’s 30th anniversary.

Numerous special guests are set to join the Pumpkins over the course of the night, including Courtney Love, former New Order bassist Peter Hook, Deftones frontman Chino Moreno, Killers members Dave Keuning and Mark Stoermer, and more. Also among the special guests are AFI’s Davey Havok and Sugar Ray singer Mark McGrath. It all goes down August 2 at the PNC Bank Arts Center; Metric are set to support.

https://pitchfork.com/news/smashing-...ocial_facebook
Old 07-31-18, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

^ That sounds fun!
Old 07-31-18, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just have to say that the SP show in Atlanta was amazing. Billy was in great voice, the sound was fantastic, and they played for over 3 freaking hours!

My expectations were totally blown away. Very happy that I bought the tickets.

Metric was okay but seemed bored (and half the audience hadn't even arrived by the end of their set).
Old 08-03-18, 05:42 AM

This is the setlist I got for the 30th anniversary show:

Rocket
Siva
Rhinoceros
Zero
The Everlasting Gaze
Stand Inside Your Love
Thirty-Three
Eye
Soma
Blew Away
Mayonaise
Bodies (with Chino Moreno) (First performance since 2008)
Snail (with Chino Moreno) (First full band performance since 2000)
Tonight, Tonight
Stairway to Heaven (Led Zeppelin cover)
Cherub Rock (with Dave Keuning and Mark Stoermer of The Killers)
1979 (with Dave Keuning and Mark Stoermer of The Killers)
Fly (Sugar Ray cover) (with Mark McGrath) (Live debut by SP)
Breaking the Law (Judas Priest cover) (with Mark McGrath) (Live debut by SP)
Today
Celebrity Skin (Hole cover) (with Courtney Love) (Live debut by SP)
Malibu (Hole cover) (with Courtney Love)
Bullet With Butterfly Wings (with Courtney Love)
Age of Consent (New Order cover) (with Peter Hook) (Live debut by SP)
Transmission (Joy Division cover) (with Peter Hook and Davey Havok)
Love Will Tear Us Apart (Joy Division cover) (with Peter Hook, Davey Havok, and Courtney Love) (Live debut by SP)

Encore:
Solara
Baby Mine (Betty Noyes cover)
I'm upset I didn't get the Disarm opening, Ava Adore, Landslide. For a show that supposed to be celebrating 30 years...alot of covers. The stuff with Hooky was cool. Love seemed out of her mind, obviously. The show wasn't the same format as the others with the McGrath videos. It was still really good. I upgraded my $25 seat for additional $20 bucks and got 8th row.

Last edited by dex14; 08-03-18 at 07:20 AM.
Old 08-03-18, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wouldn't have like that anniversary show and would have preferred the normal setlist.

I saw a very decent cam show of this tour on YT and was impressed. I would be interested if they released a BD of the tour at some point.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.