Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

MEGADETH: Greatest Hits cd [6/28/05] + "Arsenal of Megadeth" 2DVD Anthology [Fall]

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

MEGADETH: Greatest Hits cd [6/28/05] + "Arsenal of Megadeth" 2DVD Anthology [Fall]

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-05, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
MEGADETH: Greatest Hits cd [6/28/05] + "Arsenal of Megadeth" 2DVD Anthology [3/21/06]

MEGADETH'S GREATEST HITS: BACK TO THE START

As Megadeth frontman and guitarist Dave Mustaine prepares to take his GIGANTOUR festival line-up to major North American cities this summer, Capitol/EMI Music Catalog Marketing is gearing up to unleash Megadeth's Greatest Hits: Back To the Start in two configurations. The 17-track CD and deluxe, limited edition CD/DVD set will be released June 28, both including a package essay written by the director of The Decline of Western Civilization documentary series, Penelope Spheeris.

Megadeth Greatest Hits: Back To The Start follows Capitol/EMI's 2004 extensive eight-album remastering campaign for the band's catalog and the release of the band's tenth studio album, The System Has Failed, which debuted at #18 upon its September 2004 release (Sanctuary Records). The Greatest Hits tracklist, selected by fans in a poll at the band's official website, megadeth.com, packs 17 top hits and favorites on a 78-minute single disc, including "Peace Sells," "Symphony Of Destruction," "In My Darkest Hour," "Holy Wars...The Punishment Due" and "Sweating Bullets."

The limited edition CD/DVD package is expanded to add approximately 40 minutes of video content, including a new Mega-Mix music video for "Kill The King," edited from past music videos and behind the scenes footage, seven previously unreleased live performance cuts from the band's 1999 Risk tour, and a preview for the forthcoming 2-DVD set, Arsenal Of Megadeth. To be released this fall, Arsenal Of Megadeth is a new career anthology including videos, live performances, interviews and Dave Mustaine's home movies of the band on the road. Pre-orders for the two new Greatest Hits: Back To The Start packages will be taken at the band's official website, just as Megadeth's remastered catalog titles were first offered last year.

MEGADETH: GREATEST HITS (CD)
1. Holy Wars...The Punishment Due
2. In My Darkest Hour
3. Peace Sells
4. Sweating Bullets
5. Angry Again
6. A Tout Le Monde
7. Trust
8. Kill The King
9. Symphony Of Destruction
10. Mechanix (2002 Remix)
11. Train Of Consequences
12. Wake Up Dead
13. Hangar 18
14. Dread And The Fugitive Mind
15. Skin O' My Teeth
16. She-Wolf
17. Prince Of Darkness
(TRT: 78:15)

Limited Edition Greatest Hits CD/DVD: DVD tracklist
1. "Kill The King" Mega-Mix video (New video, compiled from clips from Megadeth's top music videos)
2. 'Megadeth Live' intro screen / Prince Of Darkness
3. Holy Wars...The Punishment Due
4. In My Darkest Hour
5. Hangar 18
6. Sweating Bullets
7. Symphony Of Destruction
8. Peace Sells
9. Preview for Arsenal Of Megadeth (forthcoming 2-DVD Megadeth release)
(TRT: 39:09)

[MEGADETH.com]

MEGADETH AND CAPITOL/EMI TO RELEASE ARSENSAL OF MEGADETH , A TWO-DISC DVD ANTHOLOGY SPANNING BAND'S CAREER OF METAL MASTERY

New DVD Set Contains Nearly Three Hours of Footage, Including Music Videos and 32 Previously Unreleased Live Performances, Home Video and Interviews

In Stores: March 21, 2006

Hollywood , California - January 27, 2006 - Megadeth has teamed with Capitol Records/EMI Music Catalog Marketing to unleash Arsenal of Megadeth , a new comprehensive two-disc DVD collection available March 21. A visual career anthology containing 32 previously unreleased clips, Arsenal of Megadeth chronicles the rise and evolution of the band, providing fans with a heavy metal armory of music videos, interviews, home video shot by Megadeth's own Dave Mustaine and hidden tracks. Clocking in at almost three hours, Arsenal of Megadeth's tracklist was personally compiled by Mustaine, ensuring the ultimate head-hammering Megadeth experience.

Following the 2005 release of Megadeth's Greatest Hits: Back to the Start CD and deluxe CD/DVD collections of singles and fan favorites, Arsenal of Megadeth provides fans with the most in-depth look ever provided into the band's storied history. In addition to 20 of the band's music videos, Arsenal contains a bevy of career-spanning previously unreleased material, including behind the scenes audition footage, a 1995 band appearance on MTV's "Most Wanted," a clip of Dave Mustaine's guest appearance on "The Drew Carey Show," and concert footage from 2005's GIGANTOUR - essential cuts for every Megafan.

In 2005, Megadeth was the headbanging, headlining act of Dave Mustaine's GIGANTOUR, a tour founded on the principles of "fan-friendly" pricing and accessibility to the music. Mustaine's vision for GIGANTOUR was to "put together a festival that consisted of positive bands that play heavy music in a high energy environment." 2005's inaugural GIGANTOUR did just that and was an immense international success. Arsenal of Megadeth contains previously unreleased concert footage from the tour, including a live performance of Megadeth's metal anthem, "Peace Sells."

Megadeth was formed in 1983, and in the words of The Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years director Penelope Spheeris, "[have] always been intelligent and uncompromising; they gave an entire generation a new perspective on our troubled world."

Megadeth members Dave Mustaine, Glen Drover (lead and rhythm guitar), James MacDonough (bass) and Shawn Drover (drums) keep themselves engaged with their fanbase by regularly posting to the official Megadeth website ( www.megadeth.com ). The site connects fans to the Megadeth eBay auction site and fan forums, and provides up-to-date official information on all-things-Megadeth.

As Megadeth rips into its 23 rd year, check out Arsenal of Megadeth - an essential weapon for every Rattlehead and metal lover's own DVD armory.

Arsenal of Megadeth (DVD)

DISC 1
1. "Peace sells..." Film excerpt from Talk Radio

2. Peace Sells Broadcast music video

3. interview, 1986* Compiled interview excerpts

4. Wake Up Dead Broadcast music video

5. Penelope Spheeris intro* Cutting Edge Happy Hour interview

6. In My Darkest Hour Broadcast music video

7. SO FAR, SO GOOD... Compiled interview excerpts w/ video rushes

8. Anarchy In The U.K. Music video - version without sound effects

9. No More Mr. Nice Guy* Broadcast music video w/ film footage

10.Marty Friedman audition* [hidden track] Unreleased audition footage

11. RUST IN PEACE* TV spot for album

12. On the Clash Of The Titans tour, 1990* Compiled tour footage excerpts

13. Holy Wars...The Punishment Due* Broadcast music video - MTV edit

14. MISSION MEGADETH: HEADBANGER'S BALL, 1991* Compiled excerpts from 5/18/91 broadcast show

15. Hangar 18 Music video - longform unedited version

16. Go To Hell Broadcast music video - guitar version

17. COUNTDOWN TO EXTINCTION* TV Spot for Album

18. Rock The Vote 3 Compiled Promo Clips

19. Symphony Of Destruction Broadcast music video

20. Symphony Of Destruction (Edited Gristle Mix)Music video

21. Skin O' My Teeth* Broadcast music video; new edit

22. High Speed Dirt Broadcast music video

23. Foreclosure Of A Dream Broadcast music video

24. A DAY IN THE LIFE OF HOLLYWOOD , 1992* Broadcast Piece

25. Sweating Bullets* Broadcast music video

DISC 2
26. EVOLVER [excerpt] Excerpts from EVOLVER home video

27. Train Of Consequences Broadcast music video

28. Raw footage from Train video shoot* [hidden track]''Making-of' footage shot on set

29. YOUTHANASIA * TV Spot for album

30. Interview, 1994* Interview excerpt (Nick on album cover)

31. NIGHT OF THE LIVING MEGADETH, Halloween 1994* Broadcast interview excerpts & live performance

32. MTV MOST WANTED, 1995* Broadcast performance on 3/28/95 show

33. interview, 1994* Interview excerpt (Dave on A Tout Le Monde)

34. A Tout Le Monde* Broadcast music video

35. Interview, 1994 contd.* Interview excerpt (Dave/Nick on shows & touring)

36. Reckoning Day* Broadcast music video

37. CRYPTIC WRITINGS* TV Spot for Album

38. Trust Broadcast music video

39. Trust music video rushes* [hidden track] Rushes from video shoot

40. CRYPTIC TV* EPK for Cryptic Writing Album

41. Almost Honest* Broadcast music video

42. A Secret Place * Broadcast music video (no bouncing balls version)

43. Argentina , 1998* Backstage/interview/distant live shots from arena

44. THE DREW CAREY SHOW, 1998* Broadcast show - Mustaine appearance

45. RISK teaser film * Promotional 'teaser film'

46. Insomnia* Broadcast music video

47. Sweating Bullets (live at GIGANTOUR, 2005)* Live Concert Footage

48. Peace Sells (live at GIGANTOUR, 2005)* Live Concert Footage

49. YOUTHANASIA album cover shoot* Raw footage of babies from album cover shoot

*Previously Unreleased

MEGADETH.com

Last edited by gerrythedon; 03-19-06 at 11:40 PM.
Old 05-04-05, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool
Old 05-05-05, 07:24 AM

Dave Mustaine's 'gigantour' Set For July

This just sent to me from Sanctuary Records:

DAVE MUSTAINE'S 'GIGANTOUR'

SET TO LAUNCH IN LATE JULY;

DREAM THEATER, FEAR FACTORY,

DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN AND NEVERMORE

CONFIRMED TO JOIN MEGADETH ON THE MAINSTAGE
FOR SIX-WEEK NORTH AMERICAN TREK

It's called GIGANTOUR, and it's the brainchild of MEGADETH frontman/guitarist DAVE MUSTAINE.

Set to launch in late July, GIGANTOUR is a six-week festival trek co-headlined by MEGADETH and DREAM THEATER, who'll be accompanied by other mainstage acts Fear Factory, Dillinger Escape Plan and Nevermore. Artists for the second stage will be announced in the coming weeks.

GIGANTOUR follows MEGADETH’s sold-out 2004 “Blackmail The Universe” Tour in support of 2004’s THE SYSTEM HAS FAILED--MEGADETH’s tenth studio album--which debuted on the charts at #18 and was critically hailed as a brilliant return to form. Bandmates Glen Drover (guitar), James MacDonough (bass) and Shawn Drover (drums) will once again join MUSTAINE on the road.

GIGANTOUR--whose moniker was inspired by the classic 1960’s cartoon “Gigantor”--will criss-cross North America, with stops in amphitheatres and arenas in cities including Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, Detroit, Toronto, Montreal, Washington, Philadelphia, Boston, Denver and Minneapolis, among others. The tour is implementing the “fan friendly” ticket price of approximately $35 each. MUSTAINE notes: “I think people may want an affordable alternative to the choices out there--along the lines of a pure music festival--like Monsters of Rock or Clash of the Titans.”

MUSTAINE handpicked the bands for GIGANTOUR, with a focus on musicianship. “There are few very successful tours out each summer and in order to be significant, I knew the first Gigantour had to make an impact with top bands like DREAM THEATER, Fear Factory, Dillinger Escape Plan and Nevermore.” MUSTAINE wanted to “put together a festival that consisted of positive bands that play heavy music in a high energy environment.”

MUSTAINE comments on the other bands he’s chosen for the GIGANTOUR mainstage. “I think that the variety of playing styles and the credibility of the different players is really exciting. I’m looking forward to spending time with DREAM THEATER--including my friend Mike Portnoy--while on the road. I think DREAM THEATER is unbelievably talented. I can’t wait to see what their set list is going to be for this festival.”

Mike Portnoy from DREAM THEATER comments on the band’s perspective on the tour. “I think we probably bring some diversity to the bill, because we’re kind of like chameleons--we can fit into a lot of different situations. We’ve done shows in the past with Iron Maiden, Slayer and Pantera, and then we’ve also done shows with Elton John, Yes and Deep Purple. I think our fan base is very diverse like that too.” Portnoy sees GIGANTOUR as a “kind of a meeting of musicians and metal-heads.” He adds: “I’ve been listening to MEGADETH since day one and always admired them and Dave as an artist--he’s constantly stuck to his guns and stuck by the music he believes in. MEGADETH are one of the pioneers of the genre.” GIGANTOUR marks the first U.S. leg of DREAM THEATER dates in support of their forthcoming release OCTAVARIUM, due out June 7 on Atlantic Records.

MUSTAINE first toured with Fear Factory in 1994. “I think Fear Factory and Dillinger Escape Plan are really going to add something different to the tour and bring some new people in.” He continues, “The frontman of Nevermore [Warrell Dane] used to be in a band called Sanctuary and I produced their first record.”

MUSTAINE is excited to hit the road and has a positive outlook for GIGANTOUR. “I look forward to watching this develop over the years and seeing how we can turn this into something that’s going to stand the test of time. And if this works, and it really works, maybe we’ll take it elsewhere.”

Stay tuned for tour dates, venues and information about the second stage bands to be announced soon and check www.megadeth.com for additional updates.
Old 06-08-05, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dave Mustaine talks about the future of Megadeth, the upcoming Greatest Hits, and the free DVD

June 2nd, 2005
Blabbermouth is reporting that Launch Radio Networks have recently conducted an interview with Dave Mustaine, in which he talks about the future of Megadeth. The Blabbermouth posting is below.

Launch Radio Networks reports: Dave Mustaine will keep MEGADETH alive for this summer’s Gigantour and a couple of archival projects, but the band’s future is up in the air after that. Mustaine originally planned MEGADETH’s 2004 album, “The System Has Failed”, as a solo outing, but used the band name for contractual reasons. Now, he told Launch, he has to decide what to do next. “I still was convinced that this was gonna be the last MEGADETH record,” he said. “But, you know, after going out and touring and having these new, wonderful people I’m playing with and this whole new administration that I’m part of, it’s just given me a huge, very uncomfortable question mark. Do I go out on top — because MEGADETH certainly is at the top of its form right now — or do I throw the dice again?”

Mustaine says he’ll make a decision after Gigantour.

In another report by Blabbermouth, Terrorizer magazine also recently conducted an interview with Dave Mustaine, in which he talked about the upcoming, “Greatest Hits: Back To The Start” album, and its free DVD content, specifically, the significance of the live clips on the DVD.

On the reason for the release:

“It was actually EMI’s idea. They wanted to do this ‘cause after the remasters came out, they thought there could be a new MEGADETH fanbase out there. I’m not gonna stand in the way and say, ‘Hey! Don’t put out a new record!’”

On the live footage which is featured on the bonus DVD:

“I’m gonna tell you something I haven’t said to anyone else. The live stuff is from the first concert Marty Friedman [ex-MEGADETH guitarist] played after coming back from having a nervous breakdown. That was the day he told me he was quitting. I wanted to put it on there ‘cause it’s significant. I just wanted people to see the concert the day he told us he was gonna quit. You can see he’s going, ‘Fuck yeah!’ and ‘Come on!’ and I’m thinking, ‘This guy doesn’t really wanna be here.’ He’s a great actor. It’s like fakin’ an orgasm.”

MEGADETH.com
Old 07-08-05, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Just picked this up on a whim. This collection kicks major ass. Frankly, Metallica should have kept Mustaine instead of Hammett. Great songs, excellent music and playing. Nice metal. Highly recommended!!
Old 07-08-05, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I got the Limited Edition [CD/DVD] version eventhough I already have ALL Megadeth cd's, including ALL the recently released Remixed/Remastered albums.

btw, I got it for $9.99 , instead of paying $24.99!
Old 07-09-05, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
I got the Limited Edition [CD/DVD] version eventhough I already have ALL Megadeth cd's, including ALL the recently released Remixed/Remastered albums.

btw, I got it for $9.99 , instead of paying $24.99!
Taking advantage of clueless Best Buy cashiers....we should ban this guy!

BTW, thanks bro for my copy at that price! :-)
Old 07-10-05, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by juanmgonzalez
Taking advantage of clueless Best Buy cashiers....we should ban this guy!

BTW, thanks bro for my copy at that price! :-)
No problem, Bro!
Old 07-10-05, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
How did I miss this thread? I have to pick this up.
Old 07-10-05, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It is a must have.
Old 07-10-05, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I recommended this [as a very good] collection of Megadeth songs for people who either are not that much into or heard many songs of Megadeth. A good way to get into them!
Old 01-28-06, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

FINALLY! after a [legal] delay... THIS IS GONNA BE SWEET!!!

MEGADETH AND CAPITOL/EMI TO RELEASE ARSENSAL OF MEGADETH , A TWO-DISC DVD ANTHOLOGY SPANNING BAND'S CAREER OF METAL MASTERY

New DVD Set Contains Nearly Three Hours of Footage, Including Music Videos and 32 Previously Unreleased Live Performances, Home Video and Interviews

In Stores: March 21, 2006

Hollywood , California - January 27, 2006 - Megadeth has teamed with Capitol Records/EMI Music Catalog Marketing to unleash Arsenal of Megadeth , a new comprehensive two-disc DVD collection available March 21. A visual career anthology containing 32 previously unreleased clips, Arsenal of Megadeth chronicles the rise and evolution of the band, providing fans with a heavy metal armory of music videos, interviews, home video shot by Megadeth's own Dave Mustaine and hidden tracks. Clocking in at almost three hours, Arsenal of Megadeth's tracklist was personally compiled by Mustaine, ensuring the ultimate head-hammering Megadeth experience.

Following the 2005 release of Megadeth's Greatest Hits: Back to the Start CD and deluxe CD/DVD collections of singles and fan favorites, Arsenal of Megadeth provides fans with the most in-depth look ever provided into the band's storied history. In addition to 20 of the band's music videos, Arsenal contains a bevy of career-spanning previously unreleased material, including behind the scenes audition footage, a 1995 band appearance on MTV's "Most Wanted," a clip of Dave Mustaine's guest appearance on "The Drew Carey Show," and concert footage from 2005's GIGANTOUR - essential cuts for every Megafan.

In 2005, Megadeth was the headbanging, headlining act of Dave Mustaine's GIGANTOUR, a tour founded on the principles of "fan-friendly" pricing and accessibility to the music. Mustaine's vision for GIGANTOUR was to "put together a festival that consisted of positive bands that play heavy music in a high energy environment." 2005's inaugural GIGANTOUR did just that and was an immense international success. Arsenal of Megadeth contains previously unreleased concert footage from the tour, including a live performance of Megadeth's metal anthem, "Peace Sells."

Megadeth was formed in 1983, and in the words of The Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years director Penelope Spheeris, "[have] always been intelligent and uncompromising; they gave an entire generation a new perspective on our troubled world."

Megadeth members Dave Mustaine, Glen Drover (lead and rhythm guitar), James MacDonough (bass) and Shawn Drover (drums) keep themselves engaged with their fanbase by regularly posting to the official Megadeth website ( www.megadeth.com ). The site connects fans to the Megadeth eBay auction site and fan forums, and provides up-to-date official information on all-things-Megadeth.

As Megadeth rips into its 23 rd year, check out Arsenal of Megadeth - an essential weapon for every Rattlehead and metal lover's own DVD armory.

Arsenal of Megadeth (DVD)

DISC 1
1. "Peace sells..." Film excerpt from Talk Radio

2. Peace Sells Broadcast music video

3. interview, 1986* Compiled interview excerpts

4. Wake Up Dead Broadcast music video

5. Penelope Spheeris intro* Cutting Edge Happy Hour interview

6. In My Darkest Hour Broadcast music video

7. SO FAR, SO GOOD... Compiled interview excerpts w/ video rushes

8. Anarchy In The U.K. Music video - version without sound effects

9. No More Mr. Nice Guy* Broadcast music video w/ film footage

10.Marty Friedman audition* [hidden track] Unreleased audition footage

11. RUST IN PEACE* TV spot for album

12. On the Clash Of The Titans tour, 1990* Compiled tour footage excerpts

13. Holy Wars...The Punishment Due* Broadcast music video - MTV edit

14. MISSION MEGADETH: HEADBANGER'S BALL, 1991* Compiled excerpts from 5/18/91 broadcast show

15. Hangar 18 Music video - longform unedited version

16. Go To Hell Broadcast music video - guitar version

17. COUNTDOWN TO EXTINCTION* TV Spot for Album

18. Rock The Vote 3 Compiled Promo Clips

19. Symphony Of Destruction Broadcast music video

20. Symphony Of Destruction (Edited Gristle Mix)Music video

21. Skin O' My Teeth* Broadcast music video; new edit

22. High Speed Dirt Broadcast music video

23. Foreclosure Of A Dream Broadcast music video

24. A DAY IN THE LIFE OF HOLLYWOOD , 1992* Broadcast Piece

25. Sweating Bullets* Broadcast music video

DISC 2
26. EVOLVER [excerpt] Excerpts from EVOLVER home video

27. Train Of Consequences Broadcast music video

28. Raw footage from Train video shoot* [hidden track]''Making-of' footage shot on set

29. YOUTHANASIA * TV Spot for album

30. Interview, 1994* Interview excerpt (Nick on album cover)

31. NIGHT OF THE LIVING MEGADETH, Halloween 1994* Broadcast interview excerpts & live performance

32. MTV MOST WANTED, 1995* Broadcast performance on 3/28/95 show

33. interview, 1994* Interview excerpt (Dave on A Tout Le Monde)

34. A Tout Le Monde* Broadcast music video

35. Interview, 1994 contd.* Interview excerpt (Dave/Nick on shows & touring)

36. Reckoning Day* Broadcast music video

37. CRYPTIC WRITINGS* TV Spot for Album

38. Trust Broadcast music video

39. Trust music video rushes* [hidden track] Rushes from video shoot

40. CRYPTIC TV* EPK for Cryptic Writing Album

41. Almost Honest* Broadcast music video

42. A Secret Place * Broadcast music video (no bouncing balls version)

43. Argentina , 1998* Backstage/interview/distant live shots from arena

44. THE DREW CAREY SHOW, 1998* Broadcast show - Mustaine appearance

45. RISK teaser film * Promotional 'teaser film'

46. Insomnia* Broadcast music video

47. Sweating Bullets (live at GIGANTOUR, 2005)* Live Concert Footage

48. Peace Sells (live at GIGANTOUR, 2005)* Live Concert Footage

49. YOUTHANASIA album cover shoot* Raw footage of babies from album cover shoot

*Previously Unreleased

MEGADETH.com
Old 01-29-06, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
I like Megadeth, and haven't seen most of these videos. I'll probably rent it through Netflix before considering buying.
Old 01-30-06, 10:45 PM

I will definitely be buying this, but I really wish Dave would kick out with a little more of the early years, especially Killing is my business.
Old 01-31-06, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
Holy crap, that looks like it will be a great set.

Originally Posted by Ozzy's Bat Head
I will definitely be buying this, but I really wish Dave would kick out with a little more of the early years, especially Killing is my business.
Yeah, me too. Their first album is still one of my favourites.
Old 02-01-06, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

ARSENAL OF MEGADETH DVD COVER REVEALED!
This is the finalized version of the new Arsenal DVD cover desgined by Arnaud Cremet of France. The two disc DVD is in stores March 21! View cover HERE: http://www.megadeth.com/news/arsenalcover.html
Old 03-19-06, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Blasting-Zone.com (Review)

Arsenal Of Megadeth
(Capitol/EMI Records)

Do you remember where you were the first time you heard Megadeth? I do. In fact, I remember it as if it were just yesterday. The year was 1989, my hair was long (yes, I had a mullet) and, believe it or not, the words “Heavy Metal” still actually stood for something. After getting kicked out of a lame as fuck high school dance for trying to start a mosh pit during the apparently obligatory playing of Faith No More’s “Epic”, myself and a few like-minded misfits sheepishly retreated to a local rehearsal hall--which, oddly enough, belonged to a local Classic Rock cover band--so we could jam to some tunes without waking the neighborhood. Following the disbursement of the usual alcohol and porn-related party favors, we all got down to the business at hand. Three and a half hours later, we were all hopelessly drunk, out of fresh tunes and bored out of our minds.

That’s when someone--I forget who, exactly--threw on a well-worn copy of Peace Sells...But Who’s Buying cassette. Those riffs! Those solos! That freakin’ voice! The rest, as they say, is ancient history as I have been, for better or for worse, a uniquely dedicated fan of all things Mustaine ever since.

On the stellar Arsenal Of Megadeth (2006), an expertly assembled two disc, forty nine track (!) collection of indisputably classic Heavy Metal, each track, beginning with the nostalgia-inducing broadcast music video for the now legendary “Peace Sells”, the broadcast music video for the group’s disappointingly stiff--albeit highly entertaining--rendition of the Alice Cooper classic “No More Mr. Nice Guy” (from the soundtrack to the Horror cult classic Shocker), as well as a series of compiled clips from the acclaimed Clash Of The Titans tour, Headbanger’s Ball and Rock The Vote promos, immediately commands the rapt and undivided attention of even the most uninitiated of viewers (you know who you are) with a rarity-laden trip down memory lane that is, without a doubt, quite easily worthy of the highest of critical and commercial accolades.

Continuing with the previously unreleased broadcast music video for the “guitar version” of the blistering “Hangar 18”, a newly edited version of the broadcast music video for the reality-fueled “Skin O’ My Teeth”, the visually impressive broadcast music video for the “Sweating Bullets”, as well as an extended clip from the obscure (to say the very least) 1994 MTV Halloween special Night Of The Living Megadeth and an insightful 1994 interview excerpt (a.k.a. Dave on “A Tout Le Mond”), Mustaine and his band of not-so-merry men (i.e. guitarists Poland, Young, Friedman, Pitrelli and Drover, bassists Ellefson, and MacDonough, and drummers Samuleson, Behler, Menza, DeGrasso and Drover) offer compelling further sonic evidence in support of what has been, without a doubt, one of the most remarkable careers in the history of the Heavy Metal genre.

Easily the group’s most comprehensive (and without a doubt the most informative) collection to date, other standouts, including never before seen TV Spot for the Pop-flavored, Dan Huff-produced “disasterpiece” Cryptic Writings, the broadcast music video for the impressively emotion-laden “Almost Honest”, a genuinely hilarious clip from Mustaine’s unlikely yet effective 1998 appearance on The Drew Carey Show, as well as previously unavailable live concert footage of “Sweating Bullets” and “Peace Sells” from the inaugural edition of Gigantour, offer a more than obvious wealth of noteworthy material guaranteed to convert even the most of nay-sayers--there are, after all, still a few misguided souls out there who honestly feel the group started going down hill the moment Friedman and Menza were dismissed--without alienating die-hards such as myself.

An absolute must-have even for those of us who are old enough to have experienced the sometimes precarious train wreck that has occasionally been Megadeth’s lineage first hand, the majority (if not all) of the rarity-laden footage contained herein will undoubtedly serve as a much-welcomed welcome reminder of the group’s increasingly overlooked role in the formation and solidification of the Heavy Metal and Thrash Metal genres. Regardless of your respect--or complete lack thereof--for the undeniably highly influential group, if you are looking for a somewhat “Old School” fix to combat the seemingly endless slew of less than imaginative bullshit (am I the only one who thinks Korn is completely overrated?) clogging the charts and airwaves, this, my friends, might just be a two fisted cure-all for what ails you. Trust me, you won’t be disappointed.
Old 03-21-06, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I'll pass. I don't like these odds and sods-type packages where they just throw a bunch of random stuff together. Plus, most of disc 2 is covering the shitty Youthanasia/Cryptic Writings/Risk era.
Old 03-24-06, 03:44 AM

Got my copy yesterday and watched it last night. Not a bad collection of stuff (for lack of better word). Pretty well put together set of 2 dvd's. A fair chunk of interesting tidbits and clips I never saw before. I cannot comment on packaging as I just got the 2 DVD's in a paper envelope along with an info sheet. Review should be up on www.metal-rules.com on April 1
Old 03-24-06, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by cdollaz
I'll pass. I don't like these odds and sods-type packages where they just throw a bunch of random stuff together. Plus, most of disc 2 is covering the shitty Youthanasia/Cryptic Writings/Risk era.
while im hardly a fan of this "era" of the band, I have to admit id be a little curious to see just what the hell went wrong and what they were thinking
Old 03-25-06, 02:46 AM

wasn't worth it. not all the videos are in the 2 dvd set. videos missing are:
99 ways to die
angry again
breadline
crush'em

sound should've been in dolby 5.1. very dissapointed.
Old 04-14-06, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dave Mustaine: An Arsenal of Megadeth
By Jeb Wright, April 2006

partial

Jeb: I have been told that you were very involved in compiling the footage for the new DVD. How did this come about?

Dave: It was not entirely all my doing; I can't sit back and say that I did it all. There is a guy named Kevin Flaherty who is in the credits. Kevin went through the vaults and compiled all the footage and he went through mountains of red tape to get clearance to use everything. Sadly, there is a lot of stuff that didn't get used. There are a couple of television shows that wanted fifty grand for a thirty-second piece. I was like, "I'm sorry, EMI is good to me but they are not going to spend fifty grand for something that is not going to make or break the video." There were a couple of songs that were not allowed to be on it because it was too hard to get licensing. I felt it was an opportunity for these companies to make a little money from publishing. If you don' t want to be part of it then you just don' t want to be part of it.

Jeb: A lot of bands put out DVDs and are not nearly as into as you were. I don' t want you sound like you had little to do with it.

Dave: I was involved with it but it was not all my work. The thing that was really cool about this is that back in the 90's, there was a period of time where we switching from VHS and Laser Disc to DVD. In my genre, there were only a certain amount of people who can be racked in the metal category. We had a couple of things out there and they were really short. They were only 30 minutes long and they were next to these bands who had stuff that was 90 minutes long. I told the guys at Capitol that our products were too short and that they had to come off the shelf. They took them off the shelf about ten years ago and that is actually when the whole project began. We have been waiting for this to evolve and come about. If you notice at the end of the DVD it says, 'to be continued' because there is more, hopefully, to be seen.

Jeb: To go clear back to "Peace Sells" your videos have a message to them. The production always pushed the envelope. How much did you use videos to unfold your musical vision?

Dave: I never professed to be a video director. "Peace Sells" was presented to us as a finished product. "In My Darkest Hour" didn't see us get too involved either. I was more involved in "Holy Wars" but I was not really involved in a lot of the other ones. If you are talking about me writing a story board for a video, it has not happened.

Jeb: Are you saying it ain' t gonna happen?

Dave: No, no, I would love to write a story board for a video. I have had ideas that were very close to what the video was like but in the end it has never really come down to where my vision ended up in the video.

rest of interview http://www.classicrockrevisited.com/...vemustaine.htm
Old 04-18-06, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Give us a recap of what is on your new DVD Arsenal Of Megadeth.
It's a lot of stuff. It's a compilation of live and studio video footage. There's footage of us doing interviews and recording. There's backstage stuff and things like Rock The Vote. There are also parts of ad campaigns from the record company that people may have never seen. People can bitch about everything and there are always going to be somebody who's going to complain about something, but the only thing (on the DVD) that I thought that was probably in need of a description was the footage from Risk, why it was the way it was, why there wasn't any performance of the band. That was a period where we were leaving the label, so there wasn't really much interaction between us and the label. That's why that video showed up with nobody in it.

How long did it take to compile everything for the DVD?
It's been about two years. It wasn't all my doing, even though I picked a lot
of the stuff. There was a gentleman named Kevin Flaherty that was involved in it, too. It was a labor of love because there was so much stuff to go over. Sadly there were a lot of setbacks with licensing problems with other people who had material we wanted on the DVD. There was either too much bureaucracy and red tape or they wanted a ridiculous amount of money for a very insignificant amount of footage. There was one instance where somebody wanted 50 grand for a 30 second spot.

http://heavymetal.about.com/od/inter...vemustaine.htm
Old 08-14-10, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: MEGADETH: Greatest Hits cd [6/28/05] + "Arsenal of Megadeth" 2DVD Anthology [Fall

Not to bump a 4 year thread about megadeth, but i figure Gerry would be the best to answer this one. Whats the full deal where Dave had to re record vocals for some of the "Rust in Peace" album due to not being able to find the original master tapes. Couldn't they have used the version from the original release and enhance the audio, or is it more complicated then that? Or did Dave really wanna re sing those songs.

Decided to give the Rust in Peace album a shot since i'm going seein the american carnage tour in oct, and i figure why not at least familiarize myself with the album they're playing in full. Daves vocals sound even more irritating then usual, then i found this
During the audio mixing process, Mustaine found that the original lead vocal tracks for "Take No Prisoners", "Five Magics" and "Lucretia" were missing — he had no choice but to re-record the vocals on "Take No Prisoners" and use alternate takes for "Lucretia" and "Five Magics" and possibly "Rust in Peace... Polaris" as the second verse differs slightly from the original.
and listening to the original mix on youtube of TNP, his vocals seem distorted (and more whiny sounding) on the remaster. Also everything sounds really enhanced, and not just being the usual remaster.
Old 08-14-10, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: MEGADETH: Greatest Hits cd [6/28/05] + "Arsenal of Megadeth" 2DVD Anthology [Fall

Originally Posted by cdollaz
I agree. Youthanasia was ok, had a few good songs. But the other two, no.
Besides how many greatest hits cd / dvd packages can a band throw out? I understand if you don't have anything from them and are just starting out listening to them. But besides the new stuff they've been putting out lately, which is great. Why would I want to get this when I already know all or most of the songs already?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.