Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Classics you missed and recently discovered and love?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Classics you missed and recently discovered and love?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-07, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Recently (within the past year) I made a decision to try out some "early" electronic music so I ended up getting some Kraftwerk and New Order to compliment my 90's electronic collection. NO is kinda borderline by my definitions, but its still a starting point for a possible 80's techno collection.

The biggest surprise recently was finally getting "KLF The White Room"

Makes me sad "The Black Room" never got released.
Old 09-06-07, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
I've been on a Rod Stewart/Ron Wood kick lately. I've owned A Nod Is As Good As A Wink, Every Picture Tells A Story and Never A Dull Moment since first released on vinyl but never got around to picking up any of the other stuff. Picked up the Rod Stewart Complete Mercury recordings and Faces-Five Guys Walk into A Bar box set from Rhino a few months ago and spent most of the summer listening to them. Last week used a Best Buy coupon to get the two Jeff Beck Group albums, Truth and Beck-Ola, with Stewart on vocals and Wood on bass. Without a doubt two of the best lps I'd never heard before.
Old 09-06-07, 09:52 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
rw2516, this is for you:
Old 09-06-07, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
The Pogues. I had heard of Shane MacGowan but had never heard a Pogues song (no, not even the Christmas one). The first time I heard their music was the week I saw them live. Great stuff.
Old 09-06-07, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Anything by Alice Cooper and most KISS. I was such a metalhead for so long I missed out on the classics that influenced my favorite groups. I got into both of these guys in the last year and have bought pretty much their entire back catalog. What a fool I was!
Old 09-06-07, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electric Mud - Muddy Waters, WOW! I have always been a casual blues fan but this just re-opened the blues doors for me. I found it in a bargain bin for $3.99 and damn is all I can say. I've now went back and picked up almost every bit of Muddy Waters I could get my hands on.

Barcelona - Freddie Mercury & Montserrat Caballe, again WOW! This album just reminds you of how amazing a singer Freddie Mercury really was. Amazing stuff here and again had me going back and picking up quite a few albums from Queen & Freddie Mercury's solo career.
Old 09-09-07, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Andalusian Dog
hats off to Joe (R.I.P.), Mick, Paul, and Topper for creating the "best album of the 1980s"!
Agree with your assessment, but I believe London Calling was actaully released in '79.
Old 09-09-07, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Falc04
Agree with your assessment, but I believe London Calling was actaully released in '79.
this is true.

there must be some reason why people always think it's an 80's album... were the singles a hit only in the 80's?
Old 09-09-07, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wendersfan
rw2516, this is for you:
Wish I could see it. For whatever reason I can't see quicktime videos on some pages. I get the "Click to run an ActiveX control of this webpage" message. Haven't been able to figure it out yet. Thanks anyway.
Old 09-09-07, 02:47 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Hollowgen
there must be some reason why people always think it's an 80's album...
There's a very good reason:
London Calling is a double album released by The Clash in December 1979 in the UK, and the first week of January 1980 in the U.S.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Calling
Old 09-09-07, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Somehow I missed basically all of Built to Spill's career. Epic indie guitar pop is right in my wheelhouse... With that in mind, I think it's safe to say that Perfect From Now On and Keep It Like a Secret are two of the best albums of the ninties. Their latest one You in Reverse is damned good too.
Old 09-09-07, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by rw2516
I've been on a Rod Stewart/Ron Wood kick lately. I've owned A Nod Is As Good As A Wink, Every Picture Tells A Story and Never A Dull Moment since first released on vinyl but never got around to picking up any of the other stuff. Picked up the Rod Stewart Complete Mercury recordings and Faces-Five Guys Walk into A Bar box set from Rhino a few months ago and spent most of the summer listening to them. Last week used a Best Buy coupon to get the two Jeff Beck Group albums, Truth and Beck-Ola, with Stewart on vocals and Wood on bass. Without a doubt two of the best lps I'd never heard before.
Great stuff - I also discovered the Faces and early Rod Stewart over the past few years. The Five Guys box is outstanding.

I can't believe I somehow missed the New Bomb Turks the first time around. Great garage punk.
Old 09-09-07, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mr. M
Great stuff - I also discovered the Faces and early Rod Stewart over the past few years. The Five Guys box is outstanding.

I can't believe I somehow missed the New Bomb Turks the first time around. Great garage punk.
Check out those Jeff Beck cds. Sounds very similar to Led Zeppelin I and II(to me anyway). Almost what Zep would sound like with Stewart on vocals.