Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Rumor: DMB iTunes catalogue and signature iPod coming soon.

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-05, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

According to the rumors I read, on thursday Apple will announce that DMB will have their entire catalogue released on a track-by-track basis on iTunes, with the possibility of a DMB iPod like the U2 one.
I'm not sure yet whether or not I believe it. Here's the thread I saw it at, for those interested:
http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/sh...0&page=1&pp=25

Fair warning, there's several pages of pissing and moaning among the members.

EDIT: I debated putting this in Tech talk. It seems to fit either forum...

Last edited by Tom Banjo; 04-26-05 at 04:29 AM.
Old 04-26-05, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont see why people would get upset over this- other than the fact that people in general love to complain. Im not a big fan of DMB so it doesnt really matter to me. Even if their was a band to put out an iPod with their design I wouldnt get it as I could barely afford the iPod I have now.
Old 04-26-05, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
<-------- Huge U2 fan. Wouldn't own a U2 iPod when you can get 10Gigs more, and Photo for the same price.
Old 04-26-05, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Did the U2 ipods even sell well? I've never seen anyone with one; Nothing against U2, just seems like the kind of special branding that really isn't going to matter much to most people, and may even turn some people off.
Old 04-26-05, 10:41 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
I've seen a few of them, but most of the time you don't see the Ipod. It wasn't worth it to me, had they made it a photo Ipod then I'd probably have got one.
Old 04-26-05, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm assuming DMB is Dave Matthews Band. Pardon my French, but why the F would they get their own iPod before so many other classic bands (similar to U2) out there? I'm not bashing DMB, you'd just think that they would have a Led Zeppelin or David Bowie or Beastie Boys or REM before DMB. Maybe I'm out of the loop, maybe DMB really has that many fans to warrant their own iPod.
Old 04-26-05, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by darqleo
Maybe I'm out of the loop, maybe DMB really has that many fans to warrant their own iPod.
I would think that they do have enough fans. When I was in college in the mid-90s, it seemed like every other car on campus had a DMB sticker on it. Granted, this was at the University of Richmond, which is close to their homebase. But I've since moved to Ohio and literally ALL of my friends are into them. Tickets for their OH shows always sell out quickly, so I'd assume it's like that elsewhere. Their singles may not light up the Top 40, but their albums are always strong sellers. I like some of their stuff, I own their first major label album, hell I saw them in Richmond once when they were still just a regional band (they opened for the Ocean Blue), but I just don't understand the cult-like devotion to them. Different strokes for different folks, I guess...
Old 04-26-05, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrisedge
<-------- Huge U2 fan. Wouldn't own a U2 iPod when you can get 10Gigs more, and Photo for the same price.
Old 04-26-05, 12:10 PM
Retired

Yeah, DMB definitely has enough fans. They tour every single summer and sell out nearly every show each time and are always near the top in concert revenue. And the people above them are usuually classic rock groups charging $100+ a ticket, compared to the $50 or so (after ticketmaster fees) DMB charges.
Old 04-26-05, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wonder what color it will be? I'm going to guess either yellow or brown.
Old 04-28-05, 01:16 AM

I'd consider buying one (huge dmb fan )
Old 04-28-05, 08:34 AM

Not sure how well this would sell, I thought only frat guys and college kids like dmb, they prob dont' have enough money to buy an ipod to begin with
Old 04-28-05, 09:15 AM

There's a DMB pre-release of American Baby available in the I-Tunes store now. I just saw it for the first time yesterday...don't know how long it's been there.
Old 04-28-05, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by SpaceBoy
I thought only frat guys and college kids like dmb

they prob dont' have enough money to buy an ipod to begin with
want to donate?
Old 04-28-05, 06:58 PM
Banned

Not sure how well this would sell, I thought only frat guys and college kids like dmb, they prob dont' have enough money to buy an ipod to begin with

About 1/3 of the students at my university have an iPod.
Old 04-28-05, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 240 Likes on 152 Posts
Are you kidding? College students have buttloads of credit, and no sense of responsibility when it comes to using it. A DMB iPod will sell well.
Old 04-28-05, 07:50 PM

Sorry guys I was more joking then being serious.. No offense to dmb fans.

I'm sure it will sell well, and agree, college kids spent a ton of money I was more in debt when I was in college and just out, then any date since then.

I think it's a good idea, and wish they would do this for more groups. I would totally buy to replace mine, if it was for a band I really loved.

Also, would be cool to have, so many really signed by the artists somehow, maybe like a paint pen or something.. that wont' scratch off. Have those inserted random, that would be really cool and prob help sell units..
Old 04-28-05, 08:33 PM

I'm not so sure I'd expect a signature iPod for DMB to come out (and would it be just Dave, or Carter, Boyd, Leroi, Stefan, [and Butch?] too?). I consider myself the biggest DMB fan I know but I wouldn't buy one simply for the fact that I'm anti-iPod (sorry, born and raised on MiniDisc). I do however know for a fact that there are no fans more loyal to their band than those of DMB. I know people who take off entire summers to travel around the country and follow their tours. It's just the kind of band people see 2 or 3 times a summer and still want more. I know that if they DID release this signature iPod, it would sell like hot cakes.

Just an aside, it is true that a ton of DMB's fanbase lies in the college age crowd today. This is however, how the band started, running the east coast college circuits, and for that reason, now some 13 years after they first got together, the age of the average fan is rising as many are into their 30's.

Last edited by fliggil; 04-28-05 at 08:36 PM.
Old 04-29-05, 12:54 AM

It would be the whole band, since it's dmb. I don't know what they'd do about Butch since he's not an "official" member. He is on the new album though.
Old 04-29-05, 04:59 AM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Well, since the original rumor states that Apple would make the announcement by now, this may indeed be a bunch of crap. I'll keep an eye out though, and update if anything else comes of it.
Old 04-29-05, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I kind of like the idea of iPods branded with bands. If I was in college and saw someone with a DMB iPod I'd know instantly not to waste time talking music with that person.
Old 04-29-05, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
I kind of like the idea of iPods branded with bands. If I was in college and saw someone with a DMB iPod I'd know instantly not to waste time talking music with that person.
Old 04-29-05, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
Old 04-29-05, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Warner Germany was giving away New Order branded iPod a while ago.

Old 04-29-05, 03:11 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
I would have considered buying the U2 iPod if it would have come pre-loaded with their entire catalog, even at a cost of an extra $100. But, to pay $50 extra for nothing but a different color, then to spend another $100 to spend a few hours downloading gigabytes of music, doesn't make sense.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.