Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Sufjan Stevens - Illinois (new lp in his "50 States" project) due 7/5/05

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 04-08-05, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Tracklisting:

01 Concerning the UFO Sighting Near Highland, IL
02 The Black Hawk War, or, How to Demolish an Entire Civilization and Still Feel Good About Yourself in the Morning, or, We Apologize for the Inconvenience But You're Going to Have to Leave Now, or, "I have fought the Big Knives and will continue to fight them until they are off our lands!"
03 Come on! Feel the Illinoise!
-Part I: The World's Columbian Exposition
-Part II: Carl Sandburg Visits Me in a Dream
04 John Wayne Gacy, Jr.
05 Jacksonville
06 A Short Reprise for Mary Todd, Who Went Insane, But for Very Good Reasons
07 Decatur, or, Round of Applause for Your Step Mother!
08 One Last "Woo-hoo!" for the Pullman
09 Chicago
10 Casimir Pulaski Day
11 To the Workers of the Rockford River Valley Region, I have an Idea Concerning Your Predicament, and it involves shoe string, a lavender garland, and twelve strong women
12 The Man of Metropolis Steals Our Hearts
13 Prairie Fire That Wanders About
14 A Conjunction of Drones Simulating the Way in Which Sufjan Stevens Has an Existential Crisis in the Great Godfrey Maze
15 The Predatory Wasp of the Palisades Is Out to Get Us!
16 They Are Night Zombies!! They Are Neighbors!! They Have Come Back From the Dead!! Ahhhhh!
17 Let's Hear That String Part Again, Because I Don't Think They Heard It All the Way Out in Bushnell
18 In This Temple, as in the Hearts of Man, for Whom He Saved the Earth
19 The Seer's Tower
20 The Tallest Man, the Broadest Shoulders
-Part I: The Great Frontier
-Part II: Come to Me Only With Playthings Now
21 Riffs and Variations on a Single Note for Jelly Roll, Earl Hines, Louis Armstrong, Baby Dodds, and the King of Swing, to Name a Few
22 Out of Egypt, into the Great Laugh of Mankind, and I shake the dirt from my sandals as I run

The album will be available on CD and vinyl with the vinyl including an extra track, "The Avalanche".

Hope this is as good as Greetings From Michigan: The Great Lakes State. Gotta love the song titles!
Old 04-08-05, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

11 To the Workers of the Rockford River Valley Region, I have an Idea Concerning Your Predicament, and it involves shoe string, a lavender garland, and twelve strong women
I've never heard of this person or this project, tell me more. Please.
Old 04-08-05, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
An album about Illinois without mention of the Lawrenceville Indians, Class A state basketball champs in 1982 and 1983, back-to-back, with a total win-loss record of 68-0, coached by pre-Bobby Knight assistant Ron Felling?

No sale.

Last edited by The_Infidel; 04-08-05 at 01:18 PM.
Old 04-08-05, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Tscott
I've never heard of this person or this project, tell me more. Please.

He is planning an album to celebrate all of the 50 states. Here is the tracklisting for the first in the series, Michigan

1. Flint (For the Unemployed and Underpaid)
2. All Good Naysayers, Speak Up! Or Forever Hold Your Peace!
3. For the Widows in Paradise, For the Fatherless in Ypsilanti
4. Say Yes! To Michigan!
5. Upper Peninsula
6. Tahquamenon Falls
7. Holland
8. Detroit, Lift Up Your Weary Head! (Rebuild! Restore! Reconsider!)
9. Romulus
10. Alanson, Crooked River
11. Sleeping Bear, Sault Saint Marie
12. They Also Mourn Who Do Not Wear Black (For the Homeless in Muskegon)
13. Oh God, Where Are You Now? (In Pickeral Lake? Pigeon? Marquette? Mackinac?)
14. Redford (For Yia-Yia & Pappou)
15. Vito's Ordination Song

Gotta love the shout out to my hometown on track 3.

I know the names seem funny but the music is quite good. Worth checking out.

Originally Posted by The_Infidel
An album about Illinois without mention of the Lawrenceville Indians, Class A state basketball champs in 1982 and 1983, back-to-back, with a total win-loss record of 68-0, coached by pre-Bobby Knight assistant Ron Felling?

No sale.
I'm sure he'll fit all that in there somehow. Maybe in the track about zombies.
Old 04-09-05, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Originally Posted by automator
Yeah, Ron probably ordered plenty of Zombies during all the time he spent in the Elks lodge.
Old 06-02-05, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by automator

He is planning an album to celebrate all of the 50 states. Here is the tracklisting for the first in the series, Michigan

1. Flint (For the Unemployed and Underpaid)
2. All Good Naysayers, Speak Up! Or Forever Hold Your Peace!
3. For the Widows in Paradise, For the Fatherless in Ypsilanti
4. Say Yes! To Michigan!
5. Upper Peninsula
6. Tahquamenon Falls
7. Holland
8. Detroit, Lift Up Your Weary Head! (Rebuild! Restore! Reconsider!)
9. Romulus
10. Alanson, Crooked River
11. Sleeping Bear, Sault Saint Marie
12. They Also Mourn Who Do Not Wear Black (For the Homeless in Muskegon)
13. Oh God, Where Are You Now? (In Pickeral Lake? Pigeon? Marquette? Mackinac?)
14. Redford (For Yia-Yia & Pappou)
15. Vito's Ordination Song

Gotta love the shout out to my hometown on track 3.

I know the names seem funny but the music is quite good. Worth checking out.

And I loved the shout out to my hometown on Track 9.

Old 06-02-05, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And I was baffled by the shout out to my hometown on Track 3.

(Hi Jadzia.)
Old 06-02-05, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No mention of Cahokia Mounds!?! No sale!
Old 06-02-05, 02:30 PM

Illinois is a very good record, more of an expansive sound. I'll be curious to see how far he takes the 50 States project; I read an interview where he said states like Rhode Island might only get a 7". Which makes sense if he actually wants to complete all 50.
Old 06-02-05, 06:31 PM

Asthamatic Kitty is already sending out preorders...I received mine on Tuesday, and all I can say is that it's a brilliant album!

Run!!! Feel the Illinoise!
Old 07-05-05, 01:17 PM

Buy your copies now-- the original artwork will soon be a collector's item.

The label needs to repress the cover without the picture of Superman.
Old 07-05-05, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I checked at my local shop, the label had recalled the pressings before they got it.

Hopefully this will appear soon.
Old 07-05-05, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jadzia
Buy your copies now-- the original artwork will soon be a collector's item.

The label needs to repress the cover without the picture of Superman.
that sucks...I just checked online and you can't buy it anymore...and it's going for over 70 bucks on ebay...
Old 07-05-05, 04:22 PM

Check your local Borders store. I know they have a bunch.
Old 07-05-05, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 07-05-05, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Amazon is offering 2 tracks as free MP3s

http://artist.amazon.com/illinois
Old 07-05-05, 06:35 PM
Banned

Thanks for the Borders tip. I bought myself 10 copies and going to sell them on eBay. I have no interest in listening to Sufjan Stevens...
Old 07-05-05, 07:37 PM

I have 6 (one for myself), 5 to sell/give to friends.
Old 07-05-05, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The album is fantastic!
Old 07-06-05, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks.
Old 07-06-05, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Elldubtoo
Thanks for the Borders tip. I bought myself 10 copies and going to sell them on eBay. I have no interest in listening to Sufjan Stevens...
Good luck with that...

from pitchforkmedia.com

Sufjan's Illinois Back on Sale...For Now

Rob Kleckner reports:
If you haven't already auctioned off your pre-cease and desist copy of Illinois...too late. While copies printed from now on will feature new artwork, the initial pressings shipped to stores for the July 5 release date will be sold as originally planned. We reported yesterday that the new Sufjan Stevens album could no longer be sold with its original artwork, presumably due to the image of $uperman on the album cover. However, Asthmatic Kitty had been selling the record from its website for weeks in advance, so the dirty copies were already circulating. Also, iTunes was selling the album beginning yesterday (with bonus tracks!).

But now you can head on down to the record store and buy it. An email message sent to retailers yesterday evening by the label's distribution company said: "Any retail outlet which currently has Sufjan Stevens' Illinois in their possession can now sell at will. This can be done with the full blessing of Asthmatic Kitty and SC Distribution."

Unfortunately, that's not the end of the story. "We are not able to ship any more copies from our warehouse," the message continued. "Asthmatic Kitty is still dealing with unresolved issues. Right now, worst case scenario is that we have to wait until a repress with new artwork lands-- conservatively, that would be around the first week of August."

So get 'em while they're hot. Or, if you can't find it in stores, buy it on iTunes and then buy it again when the new edition comes out in stores...hmm...$ufjan?...nah. Why the sudden move to sell, sell, sell? The email addressed this decision: "There are two main reasons for this development: 1) We were largely unsuccessful in our attempts to get the large chains to comply with our cease and desist request. We did not want to disadvantage independent retailers because of that. 2) We realize that many stores have a limited buying budget each week/month. And may have spent a good chunk of their budget buying on Sufjan. Despite the unresolved issues that Asthmatic Kitty still faces, they wanted to make things as right as possible and allow stores to sell what they have."

Well, that's that. Go hunt the album down, even if the journey takes you to every Borders and Best Buy in your town.
Old 07-06-05, 07:02 PM
Banned

Fuck! Well I already sold 3 for $40+. Just gonna return the others that I have...
Old 07-07-05, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

from pitchforkmedia.com

Sufjan Stevens
Illinois
[Asthmatic Kitty; 2005]
Rating: 9.2 [out of 10.0]

The best travel writers skew their journeys into pointed narratives, writing the story of the landscape by seizing all the weird, awkward bits that make it distinct. On first listen, Sufjan Stevens' latest installment of state-based chamber-folk, Illinois, sounds dangerously similar to 2003's Michigan, all chirping vocals and copious orchestration. Both records inadvertently validate East Coast stereotypes of tough Midwestern values: This is earnest, hard-working music, morally rooted and technically precise.

Still, Stevens has always been a folk singer more in theory than in practice. He routinely ditches folk's scrappy, stripped-down aesthetics, but consistently embraces its stories-of-the-people unanimity. Consequently, Illinois is less about place than spirit. Stevens dutifully celebrates and indicts all the appropriate landmarks, isolating the highest and lowest points in Illinois history, but at its best, the album makes America feel very small and very real: A boy crying in a van, a girl with bone cancer, stepmothers, parades, bandstands, presidents, UFOs, cream of wheat, trains after dark, a serial killer, Bible study.

Musically, Illinois is strange and lush, as excessive and challenging as its giant, gushing song titles. Despite employing a small army of backers (including a string quartet, the Illinoisemaker Choir, drummer James McAllister, trumpeter Craig Montoro, and a pile of extra vocalists), Stevens is more forefronted than on the comparably solo Seven Swans. Manning nearly every instrument in his arsenal (and some beyond-- Stevens recorded the piano parts at St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn), Stevens conducts his friends with impressive grace. Stevens' pipes quiver generously; his vocals could be easily (perhaps accurately) read as precious, but they're really more intimate than emo, and always beautifully echoed by his backers.

The colossal "The Black Hawk War" cartwheels slowly into a climax of strings and horns, gurgling and pushing, ostensibly signifying (with much aplomb) the violent return of the Sac and Fox Indians to Illinois. Stevens may be deploying state propaganda, or validating Black Hawk's push home, but no matter how grave its reality, the moment still lands like a giant, neon-cased WELCOME TO ILLINOIS billboard. Trumpets blare, submission looms, our eyes widen, it makes sense: Illinois. Is. The. Greatest. State. Of. All. TIME!

The excellent "Casimir Pulaski Day" (named after an Illinois state holiday honoring the polish-born victor of the Battle of Brandywine) is a heartbreaking story of late winter death, bravely sung over rich banjo; the bubbly "Decatur" (the title of which is, awesomely, rhymed with "alligator," "aviator," and "emancipator") features one of Stevens' most undeniable melodies, the kind of pretty, tinkling cue that sends everyone in earshot twirling through the streets, jazz hands and all. Matthew Morgan yelps solid backing bits (see their gorgeously squeaky harmony on "Stephen A. Douglass was a great debater/ But Abraham Lincoln was the great emancipator!"), while Daniel and Elin Smith (of Brother Danielson, and the Danielson Famile) chime in for a campfire finish, complete with self-applause.

Stevens has a remarkable habit of being rousing and distressing at the same time, prodding disparate emotional centers until it's unclear whether it's best to grab your party shoes or a box of tissues. The gut-punching "Chicago" cagily celebrates the innate (and deeply American) tendency to employ highways as escape routes, ditching old mistakes for new swatches of land, new plates of eggs, new parking lots. Impossibly propulsive, each calm, harmonized, Illinoisemaker cry of "All things go!" pushes harder, promising liberation, by death or by automobile: "If I was crying/ In the van with my friend/ It was for freedom/ From myself and from the land," Stevens chokes, voice shaking over a haze of drums, strings, and shimmering keyboards.

"John Wayne Gacy, Jr." traces, with alarming accuracy, and over a hazy swirl of acoustic guitar and piano, the pathology of Illinois' most infamous serial killer: From 1972 until his arrest in 1978, Gacy was responsible for the torture, rape, and murder of 33 boys and young men, many of whom were discovered buried under the floorboards of his Norwood Park home. Lyrically, Stevens nails the specifics (as a kid, Gacy was slammed in the head by a swing, resulting in a blackout-inducing blood clot in his brain; he routinely donned a clown suit to entertain at a local hospital; victims were typically immobilized with chloroform-soaked cloths), and shifts perspectives gracefully; anchored in first-person, the song's narrator prods Gacy's mother and father, his neighbors, his victims, himself. More than any other track here, "Gacy" highlights Stevens' literary prowess, perfectly packed with nuance and detail.

At seventy-four minutes, Illinois is an exercise in patience; considering how long it takes to dog paddle through all the gooey orchestration, chugging through Stevens' meticulous arrangements and parsing out the melodies, Illinois is a bit of a commitment. Its 21 tracks consist of a handful of transitional snippets (many arresting in their own right), and plenty of good stuff ("The Tallest Man, the Broadest Shoulder", in particular) is buried way in the back, rewarding those who persevere, and in both theory and execution, Illinois is huge, a staggering collection of impeccably arranged American tribute songs.

-Amanda Petrusich, July 5, 2005
Old 07-07-05, 11:33 PM

THIS CD IS UNBELIEVABLY GOOD. I can't believe how incredible it is...GET IT. I HAVE 12 copies......(sad face)
Old 07-08-05, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by xDareDevilx
I HAVE 12 copies......(sad face)
???

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.