Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Coldplay - X&Y - June 7, 2005

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Coldplay - X&Y - June 7, 2005

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-05, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by whynotsmile
square one was the only one that worked for me. sounds good
Sorry about that, we got more hits than expected. Check again shortly, we'll find another place to host it.

Also...if anybody wants to listen to the album just goto

mtvasia.com

Last edited by starseed1981; 05-30-05 at 02:52 PM.
Old 05-30-05, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First listen: Oh crap, forgot it was even playing.
Second listen: How did I forget it was even playing before?

No single song stood out like The Scientist did, and a few others did on past albums -- but a great CD none the less, need a few more listens though.
Old 05-30-05, 07:06 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

good, good stuff. nice and soft. deffinitly softer than A RUSH OF BLOOD TO THE HEAD. fav songs so far have to be fix it and white shadows. the bonus track is great as well. hope thats on the american version
Old 05-30-05, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
After giving it a couple of listens...it doesn't break any new ground. But if you liked the last one you will like this one. It's very comparable.... Fix You=The Scientist, Speed of Sound=Clocks, White Shadows=In My Place, etc. etc.
Old 05-30-05, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd like to preface this short review by stating that Coldplay is not one of my favorite bands. Parachutes came out around the same time as the Doves Lost Souls, and I felt Lost Souls was a far superior album. Then "A Rush of Blood" blew my mind, especially Green Eyes, Amsterdam, and The Scientist. Thought they had a bright future.

This album sounds totally sterile until Speed of Sound, like the band lacks any emotion and is just going through the motions. Then it slowly picks up some steam until the end. I think The Hardest Part is probably the best song on the album. Swallowed in the Sea is probably a close second.

I don't get any of the comparisons to previous songs except for the speed of sound/clocks comparison. Fix You does not remind me of The Scientist at all. The end of the album does have some promise. We'll see how the public responds.

Last edited by deadlax; 05-30-05 at 09:15 PM.
Old 05-30-05, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Big Coldplay fan here. Someone in an earlier post mentioned some b-sides… I just want to mention a few others that are definitely worth a listen-

Crest of Waves
Careful where you stand
No more keeping my feet on the ground
I Ran Away

Check those out.

As for X&Y, It is very good, it will take a few weeks for it to sink in though. First impression is that it’s a very good album but it did not blow my socks off like a rush of blood to the head did a few years ago.

imo 3 great songs on the album, fix you, a message, and what if. Swallowed in the sea is a very good song, square one is good, talk is good, I’m working on the rest. Also, Til Kingdom Come is very good song that was actually written for J Cash but he died before he could record it.

And btw for what its worth, this new album has more guitar and less piano. Maybe that’s why some people don't like it as much as the previous 2.
Old 05-30-05, 10:52 PM

I don't know why, but my least favourite song is Speed of Sound. Good thing the rest of the CD is a lot better, for me at least.
Old 05-31-05, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

good, good stuff. nice and soft. deffinitly softer than A RUSH OF BLOOD TO THE HEAD.
Softer? On first listen it seems that the new baby is a bit louder if anything.

I feel fairly confident in saying that I doubt I'll ever like any Coldplay album more than Rush, but the new one is good and still shows a band at the top of their game (duh). U2's influence is larger here. Rush seemed like it had a bit more variety than X&Y. Gonna take a few more spins.
Old 05-31-05, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't get all the U2 comparisons. U2 seems like death metal compared to what Coldplay brings album after album.
Old 05-31-05, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by deadlax
I don't get all the U2 comparisons. U2 seems like death metal compared to what Coldplay brings album after album.
The atmosphere. The slight guitar twists and synth flourishes. There definitely is some similarity at times.
Old 05-31-05, 10:37 AM
Banned

Try listening to "Parachutes" after "X&Y" and it's like night and day. This new record is not just a monumental disappointment, it's simply bad. Is it pleasing to the ears? Sure. Does it have any of the heart and soul that an album like "Parachutes" had? Absolutely not. This is a very neutered affair, and it's safe to say that Chris Martin has officially cut his balls off. The lyrics on "X&Y" are about as pedestrian and amateurish as I've heard in awhile. I was expecting great things from this album after hearing the buzz, but this is a dismal effort in every way imaginable. But it'll be huge, and I'm sure I'll hear it in every mall and grocery store I go to over the next few years. But this is most definitely NOT challenging rock music. This is Chris Martin gushing over how in love he is and filling his songs with some of the most obvious cliches I've heard in awhile. What a sad way to fall.

4/10
Old 05-31-05, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by monkey
Try listening to "Parachutes" after "X&Y" and it's like night and day. This new record is not just a monumental disappointment, it's simply bad. Is it pleasing to the ears? Sure. Does it have any of the heart and soul that an album like "Parachutes" had? Absolutely not. This is a very neutered affair, and it's safe to say that Chris Martin has officially cut his balls off. The lyrics on "X&Y" are about as pedestrian and amateurish as I've heard in awhile. I was expecting great things from this album after hearing the buzz, but this is a dismal effort in every way imaginable. But it'll be huge, and I'm sure I'll hear it in every mall and grocery store I go to over the next few years. But this is most definitely NOT challenging rock music. This is Chris Martin gushing over how in love he is and filling his songs with some of the most obvious cliches I've heard in awhile. What a sad way to fall.

4/10

i still think tracks 1-5 on parachutes are the best thing coldplay has done. maybe they should go back to sounding like travis
Old 05-31-05, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by deadlax
I'd like to preface this short review by stating that Coldplay is not one of my favorite bands. Parachutes came out around the same time as the Doves Lost Souls, and I felt Lost Souls was a far superior album. Then "A Rush of Blood" blew my mind, especially Green Eyes, Amsterdam, and The Scientist. Thought they had a bright future.
I also felt the same way about Lost Souls, and even though I bought Parachutes, I thought it was an inferior album compared to the Doves' debut. I really loved A Rush of Blood though, as I thought it had great flow and slightly more edge than the first album.

Seems like the media loves X&Y, but most fans are mixed on it. I'll have to download it for myself. Speed of Sound took a few listens to grow on me.
Old 05-31-05, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is just a great album all the way through. The b-sides for the "Speed of Sound" single are worth buying it as well. (Things I Don't Understand & Proof)
Old 05-31-05, 01:59 PM

coldplay's own solar power ipod charger.

perfect for those days when you just want to leave your ipod in the sun.

http://uk.coldplayshop.com/mall/prod...y/200135/64003
Old 05-31-05, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

coldplay's own solar power ipod charger.

perfect for those days when you just want to leave your ipod in the sun.

http://uk.coldplayshop.com/mall/prod...y/200135/64003
Price £79.99 ($145)

At that point, you might as well buy a second iPod...
Old 05-31-05, 04:22 PM
Banned

If we're comparing Doves and Coldplay...well, IMO, Doves are light years ahead of Coldplay.
Old 05-31-05, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sorry, didn't want to start a comparison of the two bands. Just wanted to state I got into both of the bands at the EXACT same time, and fell much harder for Doves than Coldplay after their inaugural efforts. The sophomore albums swayed me the opposite direction. Currently, I don't really care for either band.
Old 06-01-05, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good album, not their best (obviously). Favorite track would be Til Kingdom Come.
Old 06-01-05, 08:46 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, just based on a single listen from mtvasia.com, I can say unequivocably that "A Rush of Blood to the Head" is still Coldplay's most superior album by a country mile, but I think "X & Y" certainly represents an improvement over "Parachutes", which was a decent album, but very inconsistent and meandering...I've never understood the Coldplay fans that rank it above "A Rush of Blood to the Head"...I wish "X & Y" had more of the darker edge of "Politick" or "A Whisper"...
Old 06-01-05, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Well, just based on a single listen from mtvasia.com, I can say unequivocably that "A Rush of Blood to the Head" is still Coldplay's most superior album by a country mile, but I think "X & Y" certainly represents an improvement over "Parachutes", which was a decent album, but very inconsistent and meandering...I've never understood the Coldplay fans that rank it above "A Rush of Blood to the Head"...I wish "X & Y" had more of the darker edge of "Politick" or "A Whisper"...
Bingo. Totally agree with your points here. The first time I heard "Yellow" I thought it was DMB. Not a compliment. Rush took things a couple of notches up. Still need more time to figure out X&Y.
Old 06-01-05, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I'm not too keen on track three yet, but I can listen to track five over and over again - love the guitar in that one.

Last edited by B.A.; 06-01-05 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-01-05, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great new album. I'm really digging it and am a huge Coldplay fan. Not as good *yet* as AROBTHH, but very good imho.
Old 06-01-05, 11:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
I've never understood the Coldplay fans that rank it above "A Rush of Blood to the Head"...I wish "X & Y" had more of the darker edge of "Politick" or "A Whisper"...

Parachutes has better songs, simple as that. "A Rush"'s middle section (tracks 6,7,8,9) is very weak with Green Eyes winning the award for worst song by a decent band, ever. Even Clocks isn't that great and In My Place is one of those awful "arena-rock" songs that U2 is famous for. The only songs I can bear listening to on that album are Politik, The Scientist and the last two songs.

Parachutes, on the other hand, is comprised of all great songs save for maybe We Never Change and Spies.

Let's put it this way: Parachutes is on my list of top 500 albums ever. A Rush of the Blood to the Head would be lucky to make top 2000.

And we all know that The Blue Room EP is the best thing they've done and probably ever do.
Old 06-01-05, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Elldubtoo
Parachutes has better songs, simple as that. "A Rush"'s middle section (tracks 6,7,8,9) is very weak with Green Eyes winning the award for worst song by a decent band, ever. Even Clocks isn't that great and In My Place is one of those awful "arena-rock" songs that U2 is famous for. The only songs I can bear listening to on that album are Politik, The Scientist and the last two songs.

Parachutes, on the other hand, is comprised of all great songs save for maybe We Never Change and Spies.

Let's put it this way: Parachutes is on my list of top 500 albums ever. A Rush of the Blood to the Head would be lucky to make top 2000.

And we all know that The Blue Room EP is the best thing they've done and probably ever do.
This is absolute insanity. I agree that In my Place is not one of their best songs, but it sounds nothing like U2. It also belongs nowhere near an arena or any concert setlist. Don't know why you are so down on Green Eyes either, but love "Parachutes", when of all the songs on Rush, Green Eyes sounds the most like a "Parachutes" song.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.