Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Billy Corgan - THEFUTUREEMBRACE - June 21, 2005

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Billy Corgan - THEFUTUREEMBRACE - June 21, 2005

Old 05-24-05, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zer033
Ive heard A100 and Walking Shade but anyone know where I can heard M.O.H please?
This single was just released to itunes today. It is very good I must say. I'm pretty excited about the album, and the Boston avalon show. I've liked 2 out of 3 quite a bit, and agree, it reminds me of adore, which I truly enjoyed..

Last edited by SpaceBoy; 05-24-05 at 10:14 PM.
Old 05-25-05, 08:09 AM

Make sure you read this week's EW for a *really* good interview with Billy.

-Paul Jacobi-
Old 05-27-05, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ahh, I see Billy's love of Gary Numan is still going strong.

Old 05-27-05, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Numanoid
Ahh, I see Billy's love of Gary Numan is still going strong.

Ultimate Tans should be Billy's future embrace. It's the Windy City, not the Isle of Pale.
Old 06-14-05, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Available for your listening pleasure :-

http://www.myspace.com/index.cfm?fus...20050614070715
Old 06-14-05, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WOW! The album is really boring and tuneless in my opinion. I wish he would just sit down and write some good songs instead of trying to be overly creative or progressive. No chance I'd consider buying this for 15 bucks.

We'll always have Pumpkins though.
Old 06-14-05, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I completely disagree. I like the new album quite a bit. It's not fantastic, but it's by far one of the better CDs I will own this year. Songs like THE CAMERA EYE and M.O.H. and D.I.A. are on rotation for me right now. I'll be getting it on the first day, for sure.
Old 06-15-05, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Grimfarrow
I completely disagree. I like the new album quite a bit. It's not fantastic, but it's by far one of the better CDs I will own this year. Songs like THE CAMERA EYE and M.O.H. and D.I.A. are on rotation for me right now. I'll be getting it on the first day, for sure.
Call me really boring, tuneless, tasteless but i have to agree with Grimfarrow.

After being underwhelmed from new albums from NIN,New Order,Foo Fighters i'm glad that this has at least exceeded the expectations i had.
Old 06-15-05, 01:31 PM

I thought this album sounded ok. I listened to it two times, and already have it preordered at itunes (you get a bonus track and e-booklet if you preorder).

Can't say I thought it was overly strong or weak, it wasn't bad, but nothing to fantastic. Still look forward to some new corgan product, and seeing him at the avalon in boston in a few weeks.
Old 06-19-05, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am liking it, especially CameraEye
Old 06-20-05, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
Boring album. I thought the first song was shit, but 2 and 3 were very good, giving me hope. The rest is just bland. Not necessarily bad, just not memorable. Not enough melody and edge. Just midtempo sameness. Corgan can do better than this.
Old 06-20-05, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
from pitchforkmedia:

Billy Corgan
The Future Embrace
[Warner Bros.; 2005]
Rating: 6.4 [out of 10.0]

In an alternate world, The Future Embrace could pass for an average shoegaze record with a few OK songs. Because really that's what we got here: Tracks like "Mina Loy (M.O.H.)" and "DIA" cough up all the proven pink noise progressions, hot drums pushed back in the mix, so-called lush layers of guitar distortion, an acceptable vocal melody, frothing overdrive, etc. Even the single "Walking Shade", however hookless and octave-bass trendy as electro-fuck (think the Killers, then thank mixing boy Alan Moulder), still sounds enough like New Order at times that, hey, things are gonna be fine-- one less Out Hud song on the radio.

Unfortunately, Billy Corgan's changed a few lives in his time, which makes it difficult for some people (me, at least) to have any sense of the song's musical merits before their brains pavlov. For a time, Smashing Pumpkins were tops; in my neighborhood alone, dressing up for Halloween as the Asian Guy From Smashing Pumpkins was a politically acceptable if not publicly applauded costume choice. So was making your own ZERO shirt, and locking yourself in your locker, despite all your rage.

So there are, in fact, two ways The Future Embrace can, will, and possibly should be read. The first is, like I said, as just another shoegaze record with some/many lyrical missteps (a teaser: "On the ninth day God created SHAME!!!!!!!"). The second: Although Pumpkins fans enjoy explaining to their peers how, actually, Corgan recorded most of Siamese Dream himself, etc., The Future Embrace really is his first solo record. He's dropping the ruse of band co-operation, and, however much it's often untrue, asking us to read his songs to be at least partially autobiographically. Officially, Corgan no longer represents Smashing Pumpkins (or Zwan), just himself, and the solo run implies a certain interest in showing his true face to those who want to see it.

"All Things Change" has loveful guitars and flimsy drums and really nasally vocals. But for the Corganites this is The Artist justifying his return, explaining his motives for disbanding the Pumpkins, putting faith in pop music, and steeling himself in a way that, if we're buying into the song as a personal account, is kinda sorta affecting. The song's last line, "We can change the world," is cliche, sure, but so is "I love you" to your girlfriend, and "I can't believe I'm doing this" to yourself before the virgin line-- what matters more is Corgan's saying it.

So, forgive Corgan his infinite lyrical badness, but know that infinity's a lot to forgive. "You are love/ You are soul/ You are real to me" is bad, approaching the level of "Can I give my old heart TO YOU!!!!!!!", also a line from The Future Embrace. In fairness, I don't remember what I was thinking exactly when I first heard something like, "I torch my soul to show/ The world that I am pure," stuff like that. Anyway, while that line from "Rocket" seems intentionally poetic, The Future Embrace doesn't seem to aspire to the craft's inherently mediated affair. This is Corgan talking candidly to the mirror, a recording for himself and interested fans, but a big fuck-you to anyone who never cared in the first place. I can't reward that, but I think I get it: When we talk to ourselves about stuff, most of us don't think in necessarily poetic terms-- we just think what we feel. Granted, I've never said something like, "Every time I start reaching out to find you/ Loneliness abounds," but you get the point.

Tonally and compositionally, The Future Embrace is either samey or consistent depending on your mentality, but Corgan throws one undeniable curve with his cover of the Bee Gees' "To Love Somebody"-- thirds dropped and Robert Smith on backup vox to boot. Turns out it's not a straight cover; Corgan personalizes it in a spot. Perhaps underscoring the tension he's had in his own career-- a tension he seems to enjoy talking about-- Corgan doesn't sing, "And I'm blind, so very blind," as scripted, but instead asks himself, "Am I so blind, blind to believe?" Woof. For an answer, we might turn back to Corgan's cover of "Destination (Unknown)": "I know I'll leave when it's my time to go/ Till then I carry on with what I know." The swoons fight the groans.

-Nick Sylvester, June 20, 2005
Old 06-20-05, 10:38 AM
Banned

Boring album. I'll just keep on listening to Siamese Dream and Gish and my All-Killer, no filler version of Mellon Collie (10 tracks).
Old 06-20-05, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Elldubtoo
Boring album. I'll just keep on listening to Siamese Dream and Gish and my All-Killer, no filler version of Mellon Collie (10 tracks).
I'm curious what you put on this, as IMHO, you are missing quite alot of songs that I would probably have put on. In fact, there are only two songs I don't like on MCIS, Tales of a Scortched Earth and We Only Come Out at night.
Old 06-20-05, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Elldubtoo
It would be interesting to see your mix. Hell, there were five singles released (not that your mix would necessarily include all five).
Old 06-20-05, 07:32 PM

Billy will be the musical guest tonight on David Letterman.
Old 06-20-05, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Autumn
Billy will be the musical guest tonight on David Letterman.
Thanks for the heads up!
Old 06-21-05, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who is the chick singing back-ups for him on Letterman, she's super-hot!!! The stage show is pretty cool also.
Old 06-21-05, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by MartinBlank
Who is the chick singing back-ups for him on Letterman, she's super-hot!!! The stage show is pretty cool also.

Linda Strawberry

-Paul Jacobi-
Old 06-21-05, 10:48 AM

From Reuters:

Singer Billy Corgan said on Tuesday he plans to revive The Smashing Pumpkins, his Grammy-winning band which broke up in 2000 after more than a decade of blending alternative rock with the avant-garde.

In full-page advertisements in Chicago newspapers, the bald-headed Corgan said, "I want my band back, and my songs, and my dreams."

He did not say which if any of the band's former members would be involved in the revived group, which broke through with albums such as "Gish" and "Siamese Dream."

The Pumpkins' top selling album was "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness" which came out in 1995, but as the 1990s progressed their work became increasingly obscure as tensions arose in the group.

They broke up over differences among its four members and Corgan has since jumped from project to project but failed to match his early success.

Corgan, based in Chicago, has just released a solo album, "TheFutureEmbrace" on Reprise Records.

He did not say when he would try to reform the Pumpkins but the new album "represents a new beginning, not an ending. It picks up the thread of the as-yet-unfinished work and charter of The Smashing Pumpkins," he said.

Here's the link: http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=8852240
Old 06-21-05, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Lionel Hutz
From Reuters:

Singer Billy Corgan said on Tuesday he plans to revive The Smashing Pumpkins, his Grammy-winning band which broke up in 2000 after more than a decade of blending alternative rock with the avant-garde.

In full-page advertisements in Chicago newspapers, the bald-headed Corgan said, "I want my band back, and my songs, and my dreams."

He did not say which if any of the band's former members would be involved in the revived group, which broke through with albums such as "Gish" and "Siamese Dream."

The Pumpkins' top selling album was "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness" which came out in 1995, but as the 1990s progressed their work became increasingly obscure as tensions arose in the group.

They broke up over differences among its four members and Corgan has since jumped from project to project but failed to match his early success.

Corgan, based in Chicago, has just released a solo album, "TheFutureEmbrace" on Reprise Records.

He did not say when he would try to reform the Pumpkins but the new album "represents a new beginning, not an ending. It picks up the thread of the as-yet-unfinished work and charter of The Smashing Pumpkins," he said.

Here's the link: http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle....storyID=8852240
Wow.

I can't decide if this is good news or bad news. We'll just have to wait and see.

I started a new thread to discuss this here. That way, we can keep this thread on track discussing the new solo album.

Last edited by automator; 06-21-05 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-21-05, 11:22 AM

Yup, I just knew that it was going to happen sooner or later.

I'm very interested to know if James and D'arcy would want in on this.
Old 06-21-05, 11:33 AM

Why is it everytime I see a picture of Billy Corgan the vampire from Salem's lot comes to mind. That guy needs to get out.

So far, I can't stand this cd, find it extremely boring. I miss Smashing Pumpkins. I even liked he last band but this cd has to be his absolute worst!
Old 06-28-05, 03:02 PM

I am liking the album now, although the booklet has some disturbing images of corgan who I thought was weird looking already..

I can't wait to check him out in Boston Thurs. I'm hoping he has the same type setup as his tonight show experience.

Here is the newest corgan email

Dear friends,

Just a quick note to keep y'all on top of the latest Billy Corgan happenings...

- Some of you caught a sneak peak at the Adler Planetarium record release party... now y'all
can experience Billy Corgan's short film for TheFutureEmbrace! The full video debuts
tomorrow, June 28th at http://www.ifilm.com.

- Billy will be interviewed live on FUSE at 6:00pm EST tonight to talk about TheFutureEmbrace
and who knows what else. Repeats will be at 9pm and midnight EST.

- For those of you who missed Mina Loy (M.O.H.) live on Letterman, you can now view it on
their official site: http://www.cbs.com/latenight/latesho...lycorgan.shtml

Thanks to each of you for your love & support!

http://www.billycorgan.com

Last edited by SpaceBoy; 06-29-05 at 08:32 AM.
Old 06-28-05, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Glad *someone* is talking about the solo album! I really don't understand why people are so negative toward it. While it isn't "Adore" or "Siamese Dream", it still is a perfectly good album. Both Mina Loy and The Camera eye are fantastic, and I also like DIA, Walking Shade and Now and Then.

Frankly, I'd rather hear more of Billy's solo direction rather than a Pumpkins reunion. The Pumpkins are over. Get on with it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.