Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The U2 Vertigo 2005 Tour

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The U2 Vertigo 2005 Tour

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-05, 07:31 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally Posted by movieking
Where? I can't find it.
looks like its gone now
Old 03-31-05, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any idea where I might be able to find it?

Out of curiosity, how big was it?
Old 03-31-05, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
Looks like my recording made it here before I could post...approaching 4000 downloads of the flac files, and who knows how many of the MP3s...

It caused thetradersden and Interference to both shut down because of the traffic.

Old 03-31-05, 12:33 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

That's your recording Chris yes? Very nice quality.
Old 03-31-05, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yep...I had it uploaded less than 12 hours after the show started...
Old 03-31-05, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrisedge
Yep...I had it uploaded less than 12 hours after the show started...
Hmm, anyone know where there might be a torrent link? I've been a bit busy to look around for one on Interference.
Old 03-31-05, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I was always curious.. how does one tape a show? I mean can you not move etc.. or is it pretty easy... and you can enjoy the show as normal.
Old 03-31-05, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I use a Sony M1 DAT recorder and some Audio Techinica Hyper Cardioid Mics (With a little battery box to power the mics) The whole setup ran over $1300 when I bought it in 2001. My kind of mics "shut out" the crowd around me, but I need to point them straight at the source (in this case the overhead monitors). I have fun, but I need to keep my head pointed at the stage, so no turning around, etc...

As far as where you can get it, lets stay away from that so this doesn't get closed, but if you simply look at the MOST popular Audio BT sites, or U2 FAN sites, it shouldn't be too hard.
Old 03-31-05, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
I use a Sony M1 DAT recorder and some Audio Techinica Hyper Cardioid Mics (With a little battery box to power the mics) The whole setup ran over $1300 when I bought it in 2001. My kind of mics "shut out" the crowd around me, but I need to point them straight at the source (in this case the overhead monitors). I have fun, but I need to keep my head pointed at the stage, so no turning around, etc...

As far as where you can get it, lets stay away from that so this doesn't get closed, but if you simply look at the MOST popular Audio BT sites, or U2 FAN sites, it shouldn't be too hard.
Cool, I always wish I did this at shows I went to. I assume U2 lets you tape right, or can you be undercover with that sorta of setup.
Old 03-31-05, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They aren't "taper friendly" but they have all been quoted as completely ok with as long as you don't sell it.

So I do it stealth...
Old 03-31-05, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just so the MODS know...

It is well-known that Bono as well as Adam and Paul McGuinness have more than once said in public that they do not have a problem with the swapping of recordings of U2 concerts as long as it is free and not businesslike and nobody makes money with it. No matter if you rate bootlegs positive or negative, moral or immoral, at the end of the day every fan has to decide for himself whether or not he is willing to spend money for an illegal sound carrier.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"When Kelly told me about the bootlegs a few months ago, I wasn't sure that it would go," McGuinness says. "One worry was how enthusiastic the label would be to do it, but it would seem they've been cooperative. Three million total is a very significant result for Sony [Epic's parent company] as much as for the band. It just goes to show that if you make a good enough case, these giant corporations will do exactly what you want. It's been my experience they respond well to being infiltrated, and if you go to your corporation with a plan and it's a good one, very often you'll get total cooperation and have good results."

http://www.dallasobserver.com/issues...-12/stuff.html

NIGHTINGALE: We've been asking people to ring in with some questions. This is an unusual one. Alan Ivory from Kent: "What do you think about bootleg tapes being sold?."

BONO: As long as people don't pay too much for them, we've no problem with bootlegs. What I have a problem with is people charging five quid for a record that's you know, inferior, or a live concert that's been done on a Walkman. They're just extorting people who are into music and into U2. So I really object to them, and I think that they should all have their toenails pulled out. But if they do them at reasonable prices, no problem.

MULLEN: I don't necessarily agree with Bono on this, because I think 99 per cent of it is rip-off merchants. The only system that works is when people tape things and swap them, no one has any objections to that. But when people start selling them on the street, I think it's always going to lead into extortion, and ripping people off.

SCOTT: Let's throw this over to Paul McGuinness, who's their manager. Do you actually go after the bootleggers?

McGUINNESS: Yes, if there are boatloads of them, yes. But I remember a few years ago when there was that stupid campaign that the record industry organised called "Home Taping is Killing Music". I remember thinking, "What a stupid thing to say. How could home taping kill music?. Home taping was spreading music, and I thought it was a good thing. Actually, let me qualify that a little. If there is some bastards in Taiwan who has got a boatload of couterfeit copies of Rattle and Hum, and he ships them to Europe, I hope it sinks….

http://classifieds.kingsoft-denmark.com/int1.htm

ADAM: "I think bootlegs are something that's very difficult to stop. There are fans out there that want to buy them. I don't like overpriced bootlegs that are ripping the fans off. If they're good quality recordings of a show then I'm happy enough that people have access to those things."

Tonster: Paul: what do you feel about boot legs
Paul: Well, I would distinguish between bootlegs and counterfeits. Counterfeits I take avery
dim view of because they're taking money from my clients' pockets. The bootleg
phenomenon I'm very relaxed about, quite honestly. I think everyone knows the difference
between an authorized recording we'd put out. The fact that people circulate and swap
recordings they've made at our concerts I'm actually very relaxed about even though the
industry is formally opposed to it. I do have a problem with the recordings produced in
Europe, particularly in Italy -- you can find a whole range of things that look like official U2
recordings in full color packaging -- they are extremely poor quality with a very high price tag
and I think there should be more legal protection against things like that. But in Italy the law
is inadequate to deal with that.

BONO ON BOOTLEGS:
"The only thing that can piss you off is if people are charging a lot of money for something that isn't very good. It [the Achtung Baby working tapes] got bootlegged in Berlin and it was just like having your notebook read out. That's the bit I didn't like about it. There were no undiscovered works of genius, unfortunately, it was more just gobbledy-gook..."
Note: Bono admits going out and buying a copy of that bootleg anyway!

Paul McGuiness (U2's manager) is asked:
What do you feel about bootlegs?

Paul says:
Well, I would distinguish between bootlegs and counterfeits. Counterfeit
albums, which are simply illegally produced reproductions of our records,
I obviously would take a very dim view of because they're taking money
from my clients' pockets.

The bootleg phenomenon, by which I presume you mean illegal live
recordings of the concerts - I'm very relaxed about that, quite honestly. I
think everyone knows the difference between an authorized live recording
that we would put out, for instance Under A Blood Red Sky or Rattle &
Hum - everyone kind of understands that that's a legitimate live recording.

The fact that people circulate and swap recordings they've made at our
concerts with tape recorders under their coats I'm actually very relaxed
about that. I know the industry is formally opposed to that kind of thing
but I'm not. I don't have a problem with it at all.

The other thing I do have a problem with are the recordings that are
produced in Europe in full color packaging, particularly in Italy, where
there's very inadequate copyright protection. In Italy, in any Italian record
store, you can find a whole range of things that look like official U2
recordings on CD with full color packaging and very often borrowing
from established U2 graphics and photography. They are usually of
extremely poor quality and they carry a very high price tag and I think
there should be more legal protection against things like that. But,
unfortunately, in Italy the law is utterly inadequate to deal with that.

Adam (U2's bassist) is asked:
How do you feel about bootlegs?

Adam says:
I think bootlegs are something that it's very difficult to stop. Obviously
there are fans out there that want to buy them. I don't like overpriced
bootlegs that are ripping the fans off. If they're good quality recordings of
a show then I'm happy enough that people have access to those things
and I know that there's a culture out there that listens to bootlegs. So I
kind of tolerate it, provided the quality is good and the fans aren't being ripped off.

Edge (U2's guitarist) is asked:
How do you feel about fans putting your copyrighted material on their webpages??

Edge says:
I don't have a problem with music being on the Internet, as long as
it's not resold because I don't believe that music on the Internet is bad for
music . . . I think it's OK for music. To me, it's a bit like when cassette
tapes were first made available, the music industry thought that blank
tapes would destroy the business because people would be at home
churning out copies for their friends. It never happened. I think music on
the Internet is going to work out as just another place for people to discover new things.

Edge is asked:
What do you think of bootlegs?

Edge says:
I have no problems with bootlegs. I think, again, if people make
recordings and give them to their friends - as long as people don't get ripped off.

The Edge on bootlegs: "I have no problems with bootlegs, I think, again, if people make recordings and give them to their friends - as long as people don't get ripped off."
Bono on bootlegs: "The only thing that can piss you off is if people are charging a lot of money for something that isn't very good. It [the Hansa Studios, Achtung Baby working tapes] got bootlegged in Berlin and it was just like having your notebook read out. That's the bit I didn't like about it. There were no undiscovered works of genius, unfortunately, it was more just gobbledy-gook..." Note: Bono admits going out and buying a copy of that bootleg anyway!
Old 03-31-05, 04:49 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

I would assume the mods here are fine with discussion of where to d/l live shows, especially with the band not against it and no money changing hands.
Old 03-31-05, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know where any popular audio torrents are
Old 03-31-05, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If anyone has any questions, email me at [email protected]
Old 04-02-05, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow, saw them again last night (04/01). Much better sounding, already mixing up the setlists and a few different songs. Looks like they are gonna actually try and do different songs each show.

I was AGAIN offered tickets for tonight that I might have to turn down. I feel like SHIT, throat is killing me.
Old 04-02-05, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

chris great posts. the first show has been snatched >2400 times at easytree. thanks for the great work.

kms
Old 04-10-05, 02:53 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

U2 Concert in San Jose was suh-weet, didn't get into the ellipse thing, but still about 5 people back from the edge of the ellipse so awesome..

Small vid clip.
http://www.bdbfc.com/video/u2.avi

and a pic of pope bono.

I had the video link messed up..

Last edited by BDB; 04-10-05 at 07:39 PM.
Old 04-11-05, 11:28 AM

Hey, guys, I'm going to show the Phoenix Friday night, and in trying to plan the whole meeting of friends stuff, I'm trying to get a sense of the show's schedule. I have GA tickets, but won't be able to get there super early (recognizing that the best seats in the ellipse are assigned randomly anyway). So if any of you who've already seen the show can tell me...

1. What time did you get there?
2. How full was the GA section then?
3. What time did Kings of Leon start?
4. How full was the GA section then?

... I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-11-05, 09:39 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Sure.
Its weird.
I had the FAN tickets, yet at San Jose there was no seperate fan line.

Its a lottery once you get in the door as to whether you get in the ellipse or not

I got there at 5pm and stood in line for about 90mins. I was about 500 in line at that point.

Got in, not in the ellipse, went and had something to eat, and at 7 went down to the floor and You can see from my pic above how close I got to the outer Ring of the ellipse

The left hand side is the best I think, Bono comes down there most. but as close to the middle as you can.

KOL came on at 7:30, played till about 8:20 and u2 came on at 9.
Old 04-14-05, 02:07 PM

Bump in case anybody has reports from tonight's Phoenix concert.

BadlyDrawn, thanks for your comments.
Old 04-14-05, 05:00 PM
Banned

The funny thing I think about with all those fans at U2 shows is that many of them are so oblivious to what the words actually mean. I had this guy in back of me, who was annoying the hell out of me, by cussing(he was drunk) and making a fool out of himself. Then when "Streets Have No Name" came on, he started singing along, and again acting like an idiot. Most people I have talked to, don't even know that the song is about Heaven, and is taken very much from the Bible. Its about finally being free from opression, from race, from sick from poor and being in Heaven with Christ, which is all that matters. It just makes me laugh when so many people don't get the sublte undertones of what Bono is speaking about. That my friends is part of the musical journey there. Not just to be entertained.
Old 04-14-05, 05:04 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah , well, you know that's just like your opinion man
Old 04-15-05, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SAShepherd
Bump in case anybody has reports from tonight's Phoenix concert.

BadlyDrawn, thanks for your comments.
Pretty sweet concert tonight.

They opened with "Love and Peace Or else", and then went straight into "Vertigo".

They did a rocking version of "Electric Co" into "An Cat Dubh".

The only song I think they did differently than elsewhere on the tour was "Zoo Station", I don't think they've played it yet.

"One" was a highlight.

Wish I was going tomorrow night too
Old 04-15-05, 08:37 AM
FM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dalvin
The funny thing I think about with all those fans at U2 shows is that many of them are so oblivious to what the words actually mean. I had this guy in back of me, who was annoying the hell out of me, by cussing(he was drunk) and making a fool out of himself. Then when "Streets Have No Name" came on, he started singing along, and again acting like an idiot. Most people I have talked to, don't even know that the song is about Heaven, and is taken very much from the Bible. Its about finally being free from opression, from race, from sick from poor and being in Heaven with Christ, which is all that matters. It just makes me laugh when so many people don't get the sublte undertones of what Bono is speaking about. That my friends is part of the musical journey there. Not just to be entertained.

I think you're overlooking an important view here. Sure, U2 has made no secret of the influence of God and religion in their music. But all art is interpretation, and no one can say what a song is 'about.' Sure, Bono may have been talking about heaven, but unless he comes out and sings 'where the streets in heaven have no name and I'm dining with Jesus and we're talking about the holy spirit, blah, blah, blah,' that's NOT what the song is about. It's what the song was influenced by. The song is about what I say it's about, what you say it's about, what the drunk behind you say's it's about.

The way Bono and other artists leave things open for different views is what makes what they do art. Otherwise they should just hit us in the head with a Bible and get it over with.
Old 04-15-05, 04:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by FM
I think you're overlooking an important view here. Sure, U2 has made no secret of the influence of God and religion in their music. But all art is interpretation, and no one can say what a song is 'about.' Sure, Bono may have been talking about heaven, but unless he comes out and sings 'where the streets in heaven have no name and I'm dining with Jesus and we're talking about the holy spirit, blah, blah, blah,' that's NOT what the song is about. It's what the song was influenced by. The song is about what I say it's about, what you say it's about, what the drunk behind you say's it's about.

The way Bono and other artists leave things open for different views is what makes what they do art. Otherwise they should just hit us in the head with a Bible and get it over with.

Bono wants to make you think, which is a stretch for some people.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.