DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Will Counting Crows release a new studio album this year? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/414573-will-counting-crows-release-new-studio-album-year.html)

Toad 03-17-05 08:10 AM

Will Counting Crows release a new studio album this year?

I think I'm right in saying they release one every 3 year:

1993: August and Everything After
1996: Recovering the Satellites
1999: This Desert Life
2002: Hard Candy
2005: ???

I'm dying for some new material (besides that "Accidentally in Love" song which I don't really like), and I always love their studio albums...they all have a great flow, or "album-feel" to them.

No info on their site though. :(

lostatmidnight 03-17-05 08:45 AM

Accidentially in love was horrible, pop swill...Sometimes the Crows, for all their self-confessed artistic integrity, really know how to whore themselves out. I understand this isn't the 90s anymore and I know everyone has to make a living, but some of their more 'lets make some money' commerical tunes have been sad, genuflecting before the idiot pop masses...Anyway, Duritz needs to lose some weight, I love the guy, love his words, his compositions, but like Greg Dulli, he worries me, I don't want those two guys fallin' over dead. Though I don't think Duritz smokes eight packs a day.

costanza 03-17-05 10:15 AM

they're supposed to be going into the studio soon to record a new record for the end of the year. they've been on the road pretty much since they released hard candy in 02 and are taking some time off right now. matt, their bass player since they first formed, quit the band a few weeks ago. they've been playing private shows every few months. they're actually coming to vegas in may for tiger jam. tiger woods's charity foundation thing. they'll be the opening act and stevie wonder is the headliner. so i'll be there, woo hoo!
anyway, the rumor is november for an album release. when they were touring in 04 and 05 they played a couple of new songs, washinginton square and tuesday in amsterdam. they may or may not be on the record. the november rumor is from adams lips at one of the concerts last year. there's nothing written in stone though, here's hoping.

cungar 03-17-05 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by lostatmidnight
Accidentially in love was horrible, pop swill...Sometimes the Crows, for all their self-confessed artistic integrity, really know how to whore themselves out. I understand this isn't the 90s anymore and I know everyone has to make a living, but some of their more 'lets make some money' commerical tunes have been sad, genuflecting before the idiot pop masses...Anyway, Duritz needs to lose some weight, I love the guy, love his words, his compositions, but like Greg Dulli, he worries me, I don't want those two guys fallin' over dead. Though I don't think Duritz smokes eight packs a day.

C'mon Adam Duritz is just a chunky guy. It's not like he's morbidly obese. Now the Sideshow Bob hairdo, that's gotta go.

SAShepherd 03-17-05 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by cungar
Now the Sideshow Bob hairdo, that's gotta go.

I can't say that I like the hairdo> But as I said to my wife, who, unfamiliar with the band when they appeared on the Oscars for "Accidentally in Love," pooh-poohed the hairdo, I give him credit for being consistent -- basically the same haircut for 10+ years (or at least every time I've seen his picture).

deadlax 03-17-05 02:53 PM

he's just a hippie at heart.

cungar 03-17-05 05:15 PM

I think it says a lot about the state of this band when people are talking about the singer's weight and hairstyle instead of the music. When was the last time they had a great song?

costanza 03-17-05 06:54 PM

they've never been much of a big airplay kind of band. they're great live and are always switching up their songs and making them better. alternate lyrics, covers, acoustic to electric and vice versa. big yellow taxi was their biggest commercial hit, and it was a cover of joni mitchel.
they're music is much different now than when august... came out. that was 12 years ago though. adam does the majority of the writing and it's a personal thing, and since people change as the years go on so has their music. all of their albums have been different from the last and i can dig them all. i'm totally looking forward to this fall/winter when the new album should be out.

deadlax 03-17-05 07:07 PM

Wow, I think their sound had remained relatively similar over the first three albums, digressing slightly with Hard Candy. I enjoy all thier albums very much, and I'm pretty sure Mr. Jones was their biggest hit.

lostatmidnight 03-17-05 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by cungar
When was the last time they had a great song?

If your musical tastes are influenced by radio and MTV, then you will never hear 'great songs'. Hard Candy had some great tunes, 'miami' and 'holiday in spain' specifically.