Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Awesome Band That Faded Too Early and Should Reign Again

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Awesome Band That Faded Too Early and Should Reign Again

Old 03-11-05, 04:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pillowhead
I can almost guarantee anyone that listens to this album becomes a Failure fan.
I'd probably agree with that. However, it did take me a few listens to realize just how great of an album it was.
Old 03-27-05, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I see your Soul Coughing and raise you a Basehead --- an album like Plays With Toys I have not heard in the last decade.

(I'm almost afraid to mention it as a hip-hop album since Michael Ivey recorded it himself using a drum kit and a guitar and I'm sure people are imagining some stupid club anthem or whatever).
Old 03-27-05, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So since N*E*R*D is no more after two excellent albums, can we include them?
Old 03-27-05, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I love Soul Coughing, but Doughty's solo stuff is as good if not better.
Old 03-27-05, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone for "O Positive?"

"Toyboat, Toyboat, Toyboat" was on constant rotation in my college dorm room the year it came out. And there's not a mixed tape/CD I make that doesn't at some point devolve into O Postive's cover of "Walk Away Rene."
Old 03-28-05, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Farm Dogs.. they only got out two albums, and last I heard, they didn't have a record label anymore. I'm sure most people wouldn't have thought much of them, but I really enjoyed what they released, and thought it'd be pretty cool to see them live (if they even ever toured outside of the LA area).
Old 03-28-05, 03:58 PM

First off, just want to wholeheartedly agree with both Public Enemy and XTC and fantastic acts who have received less and less attention over the years and shouldn't have.

Now, to add to this.. I really miss Public Image Ltd.
Old 04-07-05, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Broke out the Rockpile CD. Here was a band that definitely should have done more albums. Obviously, all the members had their own things going on but their lone album is SO good. When I Write the Book is, IMHO, one of the greatest songs ever written.

Of course, one could throw Nick Lowe out there as someone that wrote some brilliant pop and never got the fame outside of Cruel to be Kind. I commented to my wife the other night that Nick still has the best album title ever, Jesus of Cool.
Old 04-09-05, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Toadies are no more. I agree though that they had two brilliant full-length albums. I love them both equally. I'd also agree with whoever mentioned Nada Surf. The Proximity Effect is definitely one of my favorite albums. They're still together (with a new album coming out in the Fall, I believe), though they obviously haven't come anywhere close to recapturing the success of "Popular" (not even one of the better songs on their excellent debut full-length), probably cuz it comes off as a novelty song. I went to see them in Philly about a year and a half ago, and, surprisingly, the show was pretty packed (they headlined). I believe it actually sold out.

I'm not sure if they would count, as I don't think they really had any kind of success in terms of the mainstream (though their underground popularity and influence on future bands did result in having a CD/DVD re-issue of their last album), Far's Water & Solutions is probably another CD I am absolutely in love with. My friend, and former drummer, turned me onto them and it was immediate. They're probably one of the most influential bands as far as my own songwriting goes, especially during the period when I first got into them (1998 or so). I think I saw them open for the deftones before I got into them and I probably liked them, but it didn't really last (obviously since I can't even remember for sure). If I only knew then what I knew a year or so later. Far broke up after Water & Solutions and Jonah Matranga has gone on to make some beautiful music by himself (as onelinedrawing) and in bands like New End Original and Gratitude, but nothing has quite matched those songs with Far, although "Aeroplanes" (onelinedrawing) and "Hostage" (New End Original, as well as the inspiration for my current band's name) came pretty damn close.

Finally, Superdrag's In The Valley Of Dying Stars is without a doubt my 4th favorite album of all-time. From beginning to end, it is one amazing song after another, songs that feel connected, something I don't really hear much of these days. They came around about the same time as Nada Surf and are also probably considered a one-hit-wonder ("Sucked Out", which, unlike "Popular" by Nada Surf, I still love). But I think they got better with each album, until their last Last Call For Vitriol. Although it had some great songs, overall it wasn't that remarkable and felt largely like a band going through the motions, which I guess it turned out to be. They broke up and John Davis, the lead singer, guitarist, and main songwriter, found God. Christian rock isn't really my thing, but his new album isn't that bad. It's nowhere near as great as Superdrag's work though. I am glad I got to see them a couple times when they played in Philly, years ago.

Wow, that was a mouthful. So, yeah, to recap: Toadies, Nada Surf*, Far, Superdrag. Come back. Rule the world. I miss you.

K

* You're not broken up, so just come back in the sense of releasing a new album, which I'll definitely buy, and ruling the world and such.

Last edited by Cornelius1047; 04-14-05 at 01:53 AM.
Old 04-09-05, 11:26 PM

How about Cracker? They came in on the alt-rock wave of the early 90's, but never really fit in that mold completely. And in the process they evolved into this alt-rock-country-blugrass-blues-guarded by monkeys melting pot that I love. Of course they are still around, so I kind of like having them as my little secret.
Old 04-09-05, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Soul Asylum
Smash Mouth
Sister Hazel
Old 04-10-05, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Black Lab
Old 04-10-05, 04:32 PM

THE UNICORNS

who will cut our hair when we're gone is GENIUS
Old 04-11-05, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts
Polvo - although their last two albums released by Touch & Go weren't near as good as the stuff that they released on Merge.

Last edited by B.A.; 04-11-05 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-12-05, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Stone Temple Pilots, Soundgarden, Days of the New, Tonic, Candlebox

Is Oleander still making music?

Last edited by Mr. Cinema; 04-14-05 at 03:51 PM.
Old 04-12-05, 09:28 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Stone Temple Pilots isn't dead, right? Velvet Revolver is just a Scott Weiland side project, not an out-an-out replacement of STP, no?
Old 04-13-05, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by stinkeye
How about Cracker? They came in on the alt-rock wave of the early 90's, but never really fit in that mold completely. And in the process they evolved into this alt-rock-country-blugrass-blues-guarded by monkeys melting pot that I love. Of course they are still around, so I kind of like having them as my little secret.
Good but Camper Van Beethoven was universes better. I'd think CVB was bigger than Cracker ever was but I could be wrong.
Old 04-13-05, 09:32 AM

The Buck Pets
The Front
I Love You
I have that Thermadore disc. Each song sounds like a different artist contributed to it, in my opinion.