Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Yet another recommendation out of left field... check out Mastodon: Leviathan

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 02-28-05, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I blind bought this album a few days ago and it's become a fixture in my CD player. It's a mixture of straight hard rock, punk and extreme metal played with insane chops. The technical skill and tightness of the band has to be heard to be believed. The album mostly consists of short and more concise songs than most prog/extreme metal bands, but played with lots of intensity. It's also much more accessible than most albums from this genre, it's low on the wank meter and has excellent production.

It's probably my favorite metal release since Opeth's "Blackwater Park". Good stuff.
Old 02-28-05, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Do they have death metal vocals, prog vocals, or straight rock type vocals?
Old 02-28-05, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Do they have death metal vocals, prog vocals, or straight rock type vocals?
It alternates between two vocalists: one is a metal-type growl (not black metal, but more similar to Lemmy Klimster) and a stoner metal (think QOTSA).
Here's a sample review:
http://www.popmatters.com/music/revi...eviathan.shtml
Mastodon's 2002 album Remission was the kind of debut release that every band dreams of pulling off, one that grabbed people's attention immediately, one that, upon hearing the first few bars of the first track, showed the world that they actually had something new to offer. Living up to their moniker, Mastodon sounded massive, beastly, downright unstoppable, as the Atlanta, Georgia quartet combined the Southern-fried heavy rock of Clutch and Eyehategod with the technical proficiency and hardcore elements of The Dillinger Escape Plan. Every bit as ground-rattling as Dillinger's debut Calculating Infinity, Remission was a supremely confident piece of work, both accessible and creative, bolstered by such instant classics as "March of the Fire Ants", "Where Strides the Behemoth", and "Ol'e Nessie". When it comes to following up a highly acclaimed first album, it's always tough, but in metal circles, it's even worse, as fans are often so fiercely set in their ways, that any change from the established formula, in their eyes, is often disastrous.

Well, Mastodon have indeed decided to change things considerably on their second album, Leviathan, and that change is not only for the better, but positively thrilling. To put it bluntly, Mastodon have turned down the sludge, and turned up the prog. Way up. Those Sabbath-style riffs are still present at times, but the emphasis this time around is on tightly-executed, progressive metal passages that harken back to Metallica's glory days in the late '80s, and going even further back, Rush's great late '70s/early '80s output. That shift in style hits you two seconds into the opener "Blood and Thunder": recorded and mixed once again by Matt Bayles, the guitar riffs by Bill Kelliher and Brent Hinds are cleaner, crisper than we're used to, evoking memories of a similar sound on Metallica's ...And Justice For All. When bassist Troy Sanders and drummer Brann Dailor join in, the massive force in the music is still there, but there's now a willingness to see how far they can go with this sound. On the album, you get sudden dual guitar flourishes, abrupt time signature changes (but nowhere near as abrupt as that of The Dillinger Escape Plan and Meshuggah), and most impressively, an outstanding performance by Dailor on the skins, who seems to channel the power of Brant Bjork and the precision of Neil Peart. All the while, the band's dual vocal team of Sanders and guitarist Hines growl and bellow over the tight-as-a-noose arrangements, not in a the usual extreme way that we've grown accustomed to over the last decade, but similar to that of the two singers in Neurosis.

You certainly don't need to be a university English major to be able to tell from the album's cover artwork that there's a certain nautical theme to Leviathan, more specifically, the classic Herman Melville novel Moby Dick. While it's not a rock opera in the least, most of the songs refer to the book, its characters, and its plotline, and the ones that don't, still have a bit of a seafaring tone to the lyrics as well, as "Island" delves into Norse mythology, and "Megalodon" refers to the prehistoric sea beast. This return to the fantasy storylines of 80s metal is especially refreshing today, amidst all the more blunt, depressing themes we get from metal bands these days.

The album overflows with stellar tracks, such as the deliciously bombastic "Blood and Thunder" and "I Am Ahab", which, thanks to their simpler, more immediate arrangements, get the listener settled before the real fun begins. The chuggin' "Megalodon" is brilliant, a great example of how the band throws in different little sounds, seemingly arbitrarily, but it's done so effortlessly, it all works; at one point between a midtempo verse and a more thrash metal section, the band connects the two with an extremely brief interlude of, of all things, a classic, Southern rock lick, straight outa Skynyrd, something sure to evoke sudden responses of, "What the hell was that?" The album comes to a mesmerizing climax on the nearly 14-minute epic "Hearts Alive", a song that will is guaranteed to wow anyone who grew up during the glory days of progressive metal 20 years ago. Take all the heaviest elements of Rush's Moving Pictures, the storytelling skill of Iron Maiden's "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" (the song chronicles Moby Dick's climactic scene), and throw in those ever-reliable Southern influences, and you've got an expertly-executed prog metal opus, one that never gets boring, with surprises lurking around every corner. It's exhilarating to hear heavy metal played with such crisp, melodic precision as the band does here.

Following the example of Remission's "The Elephant Man", Leviathan concludes with the instrumental "Joseph Merrick", with its gentle, acoustic guitar tones, organ, and heavily distorted, almost underwater-sounding, guitar solo. It's been quite a while since we've heard from a metal band who could not only put out great albums, but manage to grow leaps and bounds every time out, and at the rate Mastodon is going, we're on the verge of something very special here. Yet another high point of what is truly a stellar year for heavy metal, Leviathan is the perfect sophomore effort, endlessly creative, virtuosic, and exciting from start to finish.
Old 02-28-05, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

thanks. you had me at:
To put it bluntly, Mastodon have turned down the sludge, and turned up the prog. Way up.
That is a solid review. Sounds like a band I am definitely missing out on. Although I'm afraid that if I start with Leviathan(more prog) I won't enjoy the first album if I decide to pick it up. And I'm always up for multiple vocalists. It isn't such a common thing anymore.
Old 02-28-05, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I can't say enough good things about this band as well. I discovered them on there last album Remission, which still remains my favorite today, but Leviathan is also excellent. The Remission deluxe edition CD comes with a DVD of a live show and Leviathan deluxe edition comes with a bonus disk of tracks in 5.1 and some live stuff.

Oh yeah, they ROCK live!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to see them again.
Old 02-28-05, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
thanks. you had me at:

That is a solid review. Sounds like a band I am definitely missing out on. Although I'm afraid that if I start with Leviathan(more prog) I won't enjoy the first album if I decide to pick it up. And I'm always up for multiple vocalists. It isn't such a common thing anymore.
It's prog in the same way that Metallica's classic period was prog...it's certainly not Dream Theater type stuff. If you need a track, check out "Seabeast" or "Megalodon", both are great.
Old 03-01-05, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Hiro11
It's prog in the same way that Metallica's classic period was prog...it's certainly not Dream Theater type stuff. If you need a track, check out "Seabeast" or "Megalodon", both are great.
That's cool. I'm down with early Metallica. I will definitely check them out when I get some scratch.
Old 03-01-05, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's a good album. Not as prog-rock as everyone says. In fact I'd say it's more "hardcore" than anything else.
Old 03-01-05, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
You can listen to some low quality (legal) mp3's from relapse's website:

Blood and Thunder
Iron Tusk

Personally, I like Remission better.