Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

some info on FOO FIGHTERS upcoming [double] album

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

some info on FOO FIGHTERS upcoming [double] album

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-05, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm gonna have to buy both the regular and dual disc versions (I hate dual disc but love the DVD side....) if Foos weren't one of my top 5 favourite bands of all time, I may have a problem with that :P

MATT
Old 06-08-05, 11:28 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll just get the cd with those prices.

5.1 is great, but I believe it's only on the acoustic side, and while nice it's not going to add the impact of something like the latest NIN album which is MUCH better in 5.1.
Old 06-08-05, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just a note: deepdiscountcd has the dual disc version for 23.38

I'm still hoping that some store will have it for under 20 next Tuesday though.
Old 06-08-05, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Zodo
Just a note: deepdiscountcd has the dual disc version for 23.38

I'm still hoping that some store will have it for under 20 next Tuesday though.
I really hope they do, but if not, I'll just stick with the regular issue.
Old 06-08-05, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
BB updated price;

$11.99 for album
$27.99 for DD limited edition
next week's ad has the standard version listed at $9.99
Old 06-09-05, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by WestEndRiot
damn great price... got the prices from BestBuy.com
Old 06-09-05, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by WestEndRiot
Does the ad actually state 27.99 for the dual disc version, or is it a different price?
Old 06-09-05, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Zodo
Does the ad actually state 27.99 for the dual disc version, or is it a different price?
i may be mistaken, but i'm almost positive the ad makes no mention of the dualdisc version.
Old 06-10-05, 11:43 AM
Retired

I've not seen it, but I've never saw a dual disc advertised in any flyer personallly. They're just not big enough yet.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 06-10-05 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-10-05, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
They're always mentioned in CC/BB flyers.

Hell, even Shakira's dual disc release last week was mentioned in Target's ad.
Old 06-10-05, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Rogue588
They're always mentioned in CC/BB flyers.

Hell, even Shakira's dual disc release last week was mentioned in Target's ad.
yep the BB flyer advertised & pictured the DD version [Great album by the way ] and mentioned the cd version in small print.
Old 06-10-05, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

... might be the reason why the DD version cost a bit.

Foo Fighters Double The Music

Try as he might, Foo Fighters leader Dave Grohl just can't write a song without a strong melody.

"That's the bain of my existence," he says with a laugh. "I'd love to write Motorhead and Slayer songs all day long. I love writing riffs and coming up with heavy patterns, but at the end of the day, I'm a sucker for a sweet melody, whether it's the Beach Boys or ABBA. It's like picking a lock -- when you hear it click, you know you've stumbled onto the right melody."

Melodies abound on "In Your Honor," a two-disc set coming from the Foos June 14 on RCA in the United States and one day earlier in the rest of the world.

The first disc is a straight-ahead rock album, while the second features 10 acoustic songs.

"I look at this record as kind of the end of one chapter and the beginning of something new," Grohl says. "The last 10 years have all been about working up to this point. With the rock record, we finally got the aggressive, anthemic thing down. With the acoustic album, it offers some kind of look into the future of things we're capable of doing and the direction we could move if we wanted to."

The idea, Grohl says, was to span the musical range of the band -- which also includes Taylor Hawkins, Nate Mendel and Chris Shiflett -- by showing the extremes of its sound.

The two-disc set is priced at $19.98, $1 more than the standard list price for a single-disc release.

"I remember having the pricing discussion with my lawyer and her explaining to me that you don't get paid the same amount for each song that you would if you released them separately, but the whole idea was to display the contrast" between the two albums, Grohl says. "I thought they'd complement each other in one package, and I don't need any more money. I'm fine, thanks."

Foo Fighters recorded the album in their new 8,000-square-foot studio in California's San Fernando Valley. "We call it 'the Abbey Road of Northridge,'" Grohl jokes.

The creation of the studio and album is captured on a limited-edition DualDisc. The 20-minute film is on the flip side of the rock record; the flip side of the acoustic album is a 5.1 mix of the acoustic tracks. RCA will make 25,000 copies of the limited edition available in the United States for $29.98. The label is also pressing a limited vinyl run of 5,000 four-LP sets.

When Grohl started writing the music, he envisioned composing a film score. Then it morphed into an acoustic album of songs, and then, he says, "I realized I couldn't live without rock'n'roll," and the double-album was born.

With the rock album, Grohl says he focused on "general themes that everyone can get their hands on." But for the acoustic set, he wrote lyrics that are "vulnerable and revealing. I never get specific about anything, but a lot of the lyrics are things that I wouldn't say out loud, wouldn't even admit to myself." Guests include Norah Jones, Queens of the Stone Age's Josh Homme and Led Zeppelin's John Paul Jones.

Grohl knows that listeners always believe that he is mining his Nirvana past for material, and he freely admits that "Friend of a Friend" (which he wrote 15 years ago and is on the acoustic album) is about the first time he met Nirvana bandmates Kurt Cobain and Krist Novoselic. But other than that, he laughs at the interpretations fans make. "People imagine that there are only two or three people in my life I write songs about; there are a lot of people that I love and hate."

The band will spend part of the summer playing European festivals then head for Japan for the Fuji Rock Festival. A proper U.S. tour will begin in September, and Grohl is already excited. "I can't wait until I'm stuck on a bus, watching 'Office Space' for the millionth time and eating a pizza in Utah. That's my perfect day."

Unlike many of his contemporaries -- and musical heroes -- Grohl has avoided licensing the Foos' music for commercials, aside from a beer ad in Japan that he says ensured the band's dressing room will be stocked with Kirin.

"It kind of breaks my heart when I hear a classic song that changed my life in a car commercial," Grohl says. "Integrity means a lot to me. The fucking tiny shred that we've maintained over the last 10 years, I guard with my life."

[BILLBOARD.com]
Old 06-10-05, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Listen to the album:
http://www.myspace.com/foofighters
Old 06-12-05, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I just looked in EVERY sunday ad, and NO ONE mentions the dual disc price. I guess I'll wait until Tuesday to see how much it's going to be in stores, and if it's more than like $5 over targets price then I'm not getting it.

BTW, Target has it for $9.98
Old 06-12-05, 08:54 AM

I couldn't find any mention of it in the local ads either. The Target website has the dual disc listed at $26.99. Like you, I hope the in-store price is cheaper.
Old 06-12-05, 09:44 AM

Coconuts has the dual disc for $18.99 after rebate. I think it's $21.99 before rebate.
Old 06-12-05, 09:46 AM

http://shop.coconuts.com/product.asp...4857&loc=41179
Old 06-12-05, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
ALSO...

If you order it online, enter the code JUNE20FS2005 to get an additional 20% plus free shipping which would bring the cost down to $17.59
Old 06-12-05, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rogue588
ALSO...

If you order it online, enter the code JUNE20FS2005 to get an additional 20% plus free shipping which would bring the cost down to $17.59
That's not TOO bad. Not sure if I want to do the rebate though, since you have to send in the UPC. No way I'm cutting out the UPC to the thing for $3.
Old 06-12-05, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

"not TOO bad"??!?! Jeez...you want it for free?

[well, that WOULD be nice...]

And, the $17.59 price I quoted is withOUT the rebate [though, you're more than welcome to get that too..]
Old 06-12-05, 06:01 PM
Retired

Tempting, but I'll pass. Just can't justify $8 more than the cd and waiting for it to ship just for a making of and 5.1 on the accoustic album (would have been better to have 5.1 on the rock disc IMO).
Old 06-12-05, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Tempting, but I'll pass. Just can't justify $8 more than the cd and waiting for it to ship just for a making of and 5.1 on the accoustic album (would have been better to have 5.1 on the rock disc IMO).
I'm with you my local namesake, on every point.
Old 06-14-05, 11:13 AM
Retired

Picked this up at Best Buy for $9.99 this morning. Only listed to the first 7 songs on teh Rock disc so far and liked what I heard.

As the other thread notes (in case you missed it) the cd has the copy protection software on it, so be sure to hold down shift when you put it in your computer and if it's too late google for instructions on turning of the driver it installs.
Old 06-14-05, 11:22 AM

I just bought the Dual Disc version at Circuit City in Ledgewood, NJ for $14.99. They had five copies all marked at $14.99, the regular version they are selling for $10.99 were marked $16.99. I picked up two of them , I thought I might have a problem at the register but they scanned the back of the disc and they rang up at that price. So if you're near a CC you might want to check them out.
Old 06-14-05, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Holy Crap! $14.99!!!! Nuts. Up here in Canada, $45.99 is the going rate for the limited dual disc... I bought the standard right now, but I'm going to have to get the dual just for the sake of having it... hopefully I can find it cheaper somewhere!

MATT

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.