Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Overrated British bands

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Overrated British bands

Old 02-23-05, 10:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SomethingMore
Coldplay are unbelievably bad to my ears. Even the first time I heard Yellow, before I knew anything about who they were or what the rest of their music was like, I was bored before the end of the song. He loves a girl and the stars are yellow. Got it. Overrated.
[/I]
THANK YOU! THIS DESERVES CAPS LOCK! THANK YOU!!!!!
Old 02-23-05, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by chess
Radiohead hasn't done anything good in the past few years, but their first 3 albums are fucking insanely good
Hail to the Thief gets better w/ every listen. Seriously, I notice something new everytime.

On the topic of Wilco - as much as I love their last two albums, Summerteeth still reigns supreme in my househould.
Old 02-23-05, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beatles are good but overrated.
Old 02-24-05, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by nightwing82
Listening to the White Album just now with a belly full of bourbon. Specifically, I'm listening to Martha my Dear. A good Beatles song, no doubt. He wrote it to his dog. Umm HE WROTE IT TO HIS *****ING DOG! How any human can create this sort of ostensibly romantic brilliance directed toward a pet is honestly beyond me. I *want* to write stuff like this for girls I've had feelings for and Paul McCartney can write for his freaking *dog*. Sh*t!!

The Beatles are ***NOT*** overrated. Move on.
Old 02-24-05, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Oasis is the greatest band in the world. If you don't believe me, just ask Liam.
Old 02-24-05, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Franz Ferdinand - yet another rehash of days gone by. -sigh- Anyone ever hear The Tapes? Television?
Old 02-24-05, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 02-24-05, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JesseCuster
Listening to the White Album just now with a belly full of bourbon. Specifically, I'm listening to Martha my Dear. A good Beatles song, no doubt. He wrote it to his dog. Umm HE WROTE IT TO HIS *****ING DOG! How any human can create this sort of ostensibly romantic brilliance directed toward a pet is honestly beyond me. I *want* to write stuff like this for girls I've had feelings for and Paul McCartney can write for his freaking *dog*. Sh*t!!

The Beatles are ***NOT*** overrated. Move on.
Exactly. The Beatles music is crafted with brilliance. Not many bands can say they've written that number of PERFECT songs.
Old 02-24-05, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Originally Posted by CRM114
Franz Ferdinand - yet another rehash of days gone by. -sigh- Anyone ever hear The Tapes? Television?
Yeah...so!? It's like saying Oasis.......rehash.....ever hear of the Beatles? Clearly both have influences from past bands. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 02-24-05, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I wouldn't say the Beatles are overrated, however i just don't like their music.

Coldplay is good, but i'd give them the overrated tag.
Old 02-24-05, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As for Coldplay, I have the benefit of completely tuning out pop culture and just listening to the music. I don't listen to the radio or watch any MTV-type stuff. They are quite good.
Well la-di-daaaaa.

I don't listen to radio either, never watch MTV and I think they kinda suck, so there.
Old 02-24-05, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There is no better band in the world at the present moment than Wilco and they are ALL American, baby! In my eyes, Jeff Tweedy is becoming an icon and a very important songwriter.
Not to get too far off topic, but one time somebody said to me that they "didn't understand the appeal of Wilco". And I said that part of it was that not only is Jeff Tweedy a fantastic songwriter, but they are absolutley fantastic live. I saw them play a club show back in 2000 and they were unbelievable!
Old 02-24-05, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

LMK when we do the overrated canadian bands
Old 02-25-05, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Well la-di-daaaaa.

I don't listen to radio either, never watch MTV and I think they kinda suck, so there.
You took my quote out of context. It was in replay to wendersfan's comment "Coldplay? They're OK, but there like the new U2 or something - loved by hip suburban moms the world over, so how good could they be?" So, in that context, my statement means I wouldn't know what "suburban moms" listen to or who the "new" U2 would be. Just as you think they suck, I see a bit of musical merit in them. I don't listen to Coldplay often but I really have no qualms with them. So la-di-da.
Old 02-25-05, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love when people question the validity of such sacrosanct bands as the Beatles and Zep, most of the time I imagine it is much younger listeners who are deprived of 'good music', growing up on pop culture manufactured rubish. But maybe, they're not, maybe they just don't like them...I'm in my late 20's, my parents enjoyed both of those bands, but the speakers did not blare with their music 24/7, their record collections were eclectic, but to this day, I cannot stand The Beatles or Zep. I'm college educated--liberal arts--who is a writer, who loves music, art, photography who understands the passage of artistic influence, and I can hear The Beatles influence in the music of today, and I appreciate them for that, but I don't like 90% of the music, Lennon and McCartney's voice irriates the hell out of me...So, before everyone laughs at people like that, maybe an understanding of the context and culture they are living in should be taken into account.

Younger listeners, who I was at one time and still consider myself to be, will eventually crave substance from their music, and eventually will seek it, but of course, in our Pitchforkmedia world of the latest, greatest, artsiest, what that is though, is truely a personal matter of taste.

Anyway, Coldplay, I dunno anymore. I wasn't impressed with 'Rush of Blood', like most people I fell in love with 'Parachutes' and their EP's...so time will tell. Radiohead to me is too cold, mechanical, all art for art's sake, they're like stones, unemotional, though again, I do have a mix cd of about 11 of their songs, so to certain extent, I really think they deserve a certain amount of respect, but to lavish all this decades worth of praise is too much.

Last edited by lostatmidnight; 02-25-05 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-25-05, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Recently:

The latest are those Keane guys. They suck hard. And that guy is pretty awful at charisma. Awful! Boring!

Snow Patrol only has that one good song and are getting too much playtime than they deserve. The songs on their album with Run is so bland that I can't even remember the name and don't want to waste my time looking.

Only wish they could live up to Coldplay's sound.

Even though they aren't British (I don't think) I almost died when Maroon 5 said they wanted to do music like Radiohead. Sorry girlies, it can't be done.

Yes, I like Radiohead.
Old 02-25-05, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Pfft. Whatever. They're bigger than Jesus.
Old 02-25-05, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by cdollaz
Oasis
hell yeah
Old 02-25-05, 07:49 PM
Banned

Oasis overrated? That must be some good stuff your smoking over there. Oasis has always released Quality albums from day 1. The only problem I have with Oasis is Liam's voice. Due to all his smoking, drinking and drugs, its painful to hear him(listen to "Born on a Different Cloud" to hear what I mean). The songs are still as great as they have always done, its just Liam can't sing like he did back in 1996, when lets all admit it, they were the biggest thing on the planet, like it or not.
If you want to hear Oasis at their best get the DVD "There and Then" and listen to "Wonderwall" from the Maine Road Gid. Liam sounds incredible. Now he sounds horrible!!!!

Overrated? Never
Old 02-25-05, 08:54 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts
Originally Posted by Dalvin
Oasis overrated?
Absolutely.

Originally Posted by Dalvin
The songs are still as great as they have always done, its just Liam can't sing like he did back in 1996, when lets all admit it, they were the biggest thing on the planet, like it or not.
Biggest thing on the planet? I don't think anyone will agree with you. Try a poll.
(songs may be as they have been, that doesn't indicate they were ever great)

They have some decent tunes, but they are nothing special.
Old 02-25-05, 09:26 PM

My vote goes to The Libertines. Don't get me wrong, I think they're good. But that's it: good, not great. I don't think they'd be getting half the publicity they do if the one guy wasn't a crackhead. Its basically like how I feel about The Strokes, a good band, but hardly worthy of the drooling praise they get.
Old 02-26-05, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fallfan
My vote goes to The Libertines. Don't get me wrong, I think they're good. But that's it: good, not great. I don't think they'd be getting half the publicity they do if the one guy wasn't a crackhead. Its basically like how I feel about The Strokes, a good band, but hardly worthy of the drooling praise they get.
Mick Jones has some "album of a generation" quote on the sticker on the front of the CD. I listened to a bit of the album in store, and sure enough, the Libertines sound remarkably similar to The Clash. I guess imitation is the truest form of flattery.
Old 02-26-05, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Radiohead hasn't done anything good in the past few years, but their first 3 albums are fucking insanely good
I beg to differ. Pablo Honey is probably my least favorite album. However, The Bends is my favorite album (ever). I really love Kid A, though, and Hail to the Thief is nothing short of amazing. The first week I got it, I didn't listen to anything else but it. I was so addicted. As far as Kid A goes, I thought it was pretty risky for them. There was a chance of them alienating a whole lot of fans. I think Radiohead is simply revolutionary. I think they're like the Pink Floyd of today (I'm waiting for someone to flack me for that one).

What U.S. band has done anything even remotely interesting in the past 5 years? Seriously, I can't think of anything. The White Stripes are pretty good, but face it, the last truly brilliant stuff from the U.S. came out in the mid 90's. I'm listening to Siamese Dream right now, and I can only think of a couple U.S. albums after it that really did it for me...and it came out in 1993 for fuck's sake!
I'm kind of a music guru, and I'm going to list some bands that I absolutely adore from the US (this might take a while, but so be it):

At the Drive-In, Beck, Aesop Rock, Atmosphere, Braid, Built to Spill, Cursive, Death Cab for Cutie, Denali, Engine Down, Hot Cross, Interpol, Iron & Wine, Jeff Buckley, Jets to Brazil, Modest Mouse, Nine Inch Nails, Pedro the Lion, Saetia, Sonic Youth, Sunny Day Real Estate, The CunninLynguists, The Faint, The Good Life, The Mars Volta, The One AM Radio, the pAper chAse, The Shins, The Walkmen & I know there are a plethora of other bands/artists that I'm just too lazy to look up his/her/their origins.
Old 02-26-05, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mikael79
Speaking of Scotland, Teenage Fanclub and Travis also hail from there, so aren't technically British bands.
Technically they are indeed British bands

Great Britain = England + Wales + Scotland

United Kingdom = Great Britain + Northern Ireland
Old 03-03-05, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by eisenreich
Travis. After the amazing album, "The Man Who," the rest have been so-so..
I'm glad I'm not the only person who thinks this. I really was displeaded with 12 Memories.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.