Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Overrated British bands

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Overrated British bands

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-05, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chess
What U.S. band has done anything even remotely interesting in the past 5 years?
There is no better band in the world at the present moment than Wilco and they are ALL American, baby! In my eyes, Jeff Tweedy is becoming an icon and a very important songwriter.
Old 02-23-05, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
This is almost too stupid to warrent a response, but what the hell.

Have you listened to any:
Interpol
Shins
!!!
Spoon
...and you will know us by the trail of dead
Fountains of Wayne
Les Savy Fave
Death Cab for Cutie (or Postal Service)
Kings of Leon
Drive by Truckers
Madvillain
Modest Mouse
Dismemberment Plan
French Kicks
Walkmen
Flaming Lips
Mercury Rev
Polyphonic Spree
etc.
Lately? Didn't think so. If you have, then WTF are you talking about?
I have every CMJ going back to their first issue, so I am exposed to most of the lesser known bands. Of the bunch you mention, Modest Mouse gets the nod. And you didn't mention them, but I've always liked Superchunk and Ani Difranco continues to impress.

The indie scene has always had come stuff that was good in an eclectic way, but I'm talking more about the stuff the lables spoon feed these days. You'd think that Incubus and Linkin Park were brilliant, when they should probably be mowing lawns somewhere.
Old 02-23-05, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CRM114
There is no better band in the world at the present moment than Wilco and they are ALL American, baby! In my eyes, Jeff Tweedy is becoming an icon and a very important songwriter.
I admit, I've never given Wilco a fair chance. Recommend a sample (4-5 songs) for me if you don't mind.

Sorry for the change of topic, but I thought the geographical slam begged a comparison...and comparitively, we suck IMO. For every great band we produce, the (tiny) UK produces 4-5 and it's been that way since the sixties.
Old 02-23-05, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Oasis
most overrated band ever
Old 02-23-05, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Sorry for the change of topic, but I thought the geographical slam begged a comparison...and comparitively, we suck IMO. For every great band we produce, the (tiny) UK produces 4-5 and it's been that way since the sixties.

Indeed! Of my nearly 1000 CD's, I'd say 90% of them were British artists.
Old 02-23-05, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Regarding Oasis:
Originally Posted by tdirgins
most overrated band ever
I don't think so, both "What's the Story Morning Glory" and "Definitely Maybe" are terrific albums. Listen to "Cigarettes and Alcohol" or "Some Might Say", they're both great songs.
Old 02-23-05, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have every CMJ going back to their first issue, so I am exposed to most of the lesser known bands. Of the bunch you mention, Modest Mouse gets the nod. And you didn't mention them, but I've always liked Superchunk and Ani Difranco continues to impress.

The indie scene has always had come stuff that was good in an eclectic way, but I'm talking more about the stuff the lables spoon feed these days. You'd think that Incubus and Linkin Park were brilliant, when they should probably be mowing lawns somewhere.
I think what you're saying is that "what's popular in the US is worse than what's popular in the UK". If that's the case, I have four words for you "Jive Bunny and Mixmaster ". The only stuff that makes it across the pond is the good stuff, all the UK-only crap stays there...but there's just as much of it as there is here.
Old 02-23-05, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

IAnd you didn't mention them, but I've always liked Superchunk and Ani Difranco continues to impress.
IMO, both of these artist define "overrated indie music".
Old 02-23-05, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Giles
Robbie Williams

who?

his attempt at US fame was very short lived.
this guy is so overrated. he signed the biggest record deal EVER in UK recording history - $140 million dollars with EMI.
Old 02-23-05, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Walter Mitty
this guy is so overrated. he signed the biggest record deal EVER in UK recording history - $140 million dollars with EMI.
Well, define overrated. Are we talking about critics? Because they don't love Robbie.
Old 02-23-05, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Oasis
My first thought as well. This is a singles band all the way. I like them, but the hype is not warranted.

I much prefer Coldplay's "Rush of Blood" CD over "Parachutes". The first time I heard Yellow I thought it was Dave Matthews or someone who reeeally likes DM. That's a negative. But I've grown to like that song and the album... but think "Rush" is better in almost every respect.

I love Teenage Fanclub and when "Thirteen" came out I gave it two spins and then sold it back to a used CD store. 10 years on I went ahead and bought a cheapo copy on Ebay to give it another chance and I actually think there are some great songs on that baby... especially some of the extra tracks.
Old 02-23-05, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I admit, I've never given Wilco a fair chance. Recommend a sample (4-5 songs) for me if you don't mind.

The last three albums in total. Before that, you need to be into a little alt-country vibe. Still brilliant stuff IMO.

I love EVERY song so I can't give you the 5 best or anything like that. From the last 3 albums, I picked these songs almost at random: Kamera, She's a Jar, Pot Kettle Black, Theologians, Muzzle of Bees
Old 02-23-05, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The last three albums in total. Before that, you need to be into a little alt-country vibe. Still brilliant stuff IMO.

I love EVERY song so I can't give you the 5 best or anything like that. From the last 3 albums, I picked these songs almost at random: Kamera, She's a Jar, Pot Kettle Black, Theologians, Muzzle of Bees
I actually think Being There is their best.

My five Wilco songs:
"I am Trying To Break Your Heart"
"Outtasite"
"Via Chicago"
"Shot in the Arm"
"Muzzle of Bees"
Old 02-23-05, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks fellas. I'll check out those tunes and possibly buy an album or three.
Old 02-23-05, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Being There is fantastic but with all this talk of Coldplay and Radiohead, it appears the readers of the thread are not into the more organic music.
Old 02-23-05, 02:29 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
I'll have to agree that Reef are a pretty terrible band, and I can't stand the vocals at all. As for others:

Teenage Fanclub are one of my favorite bands. Thirteen may have sucked but they've redeemed themselves since.

The first Oasis album was a near masterpiece, and the second was almost as good. Their album of b-sides is better than most "regular" albums released in the pasr decade, but overall they are pretty lame these days.

Coldplay? They're OK, but there like the new U2 or something - loved by hip suburban moms the world over, so how good could they be?

IMO the most overrated British bands in history are Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd. But screw "overrated" - let's talk "underrated", specifically The Small Faces!
Old 02-23-05, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wendersfan
IMO the most overrated British bands in history are Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd.!
Question. Was LSD involved when coming to this conclusion?

Most underrated British bands? I'd have to say XTC - who IMHO is/was one of the greatest bands of the last 25 years.

As for Coldplay, I have the benefit of completely tuning out pop culture and just listening to the music. I don't listen to the radio or watch any MTV-type stuff. They are quite good.

Last edited by CRM114; 02-23-05 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-23-05, 02:43 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Question. Was LSD involved when coming to this conclusion?

Most underrated British bands? I'd have to say XTC - who IMHO is/was one of the greatest bands of the last 25 years.

As for Coldplay, I have the benefit of completely tuning out pop culture and just listening to the music. I don't listen to the radio or watch any MTV-type stuff. They are quite good.
XTC are great, but underrated isn't the correct term. "Little-known" is more accurate. Everyone I know who is familiar with their music thinks they're a phenomenal band.

One doesn't need drugs to know how bad Zeppelin and Floyd were, one just needs ears.
Old 02-23-05, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wendersfan
XTC are great, but underrated isn't the correct term. "Little-known" is more accurate. Everyone I know who is familiar with their music thinks they're a phenomenal band.

One doesn't need drugs to know how bad Zeppelin and Floyd were, one just needs ears.
Little known means underrated to me. They should be much more well known and thus rated highly.

No, I meant the LSD would show you how good Pink Floyd was...um, thats what I've heard at least.... Ah, the younger days.
Old 02-23-05, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

like 'em or not, denying that Led Zeppelin was an extremely talented band with a near flawless run is like denying that humans have ears.
Old 02-23-05, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Beatles?
The Rolling Stones?
Pink Floyd?
Led Zeppelin?
Radiohead?
Coldplay?

Why not just throw in the Cure, the Smiths, the Clash, Clapton, the Police, the Sex Pistols, and Depeche Mode? Hell, why not slam U2 as well, they're almost British?

This thread makes baby Jesus cry.
Old 02-23-05, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
And, because Scotland is "close enough", I'm going to mention Franz Ferdinand as well. They are amazingly horrible. I "get" the whole rockin' dance club genre, and I can accept mediocre lyrics/musicianship as a result, but come on...

This fire is out of control
I'm going to burn this city
Burn this city
If this fire is out of control
Then i
I'm out of control
And i burn
I'm just curious because I've recently started listening to Franz Ferdinand, but have you heard the entire album? I realize that their lyrics are nothing special, but the song you quoted is (in my opinion) their worst, lyrically. Every band will have a few songs that are not up to par, and in this case, it's obvious the song was meant to be more catchy than deep (which is a terrible phenomenon spreading throughout the top40, I'll admit). This is not meant to be a personal attack in any way; I'm simply curious. For the record, they are nowhere near my favorite band, but I do still like them.

Shawn
Old 02-23-05, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shawn41
I'm just curious because I've recently started listening to Franz Ferdinand, but have you heard the entire album? I realize that their lyrics are nothing special, but the song you quoted is (in my opinion) their worst, lyrically. Every band will have a few songs that are not up to par, and in this case, it's obvious the song was meant to be more catchy than deep (which is a terrible phenomenon spreading throughout the top40, I'll admit). This is not meant to be a personal attack in any way; I'm simply curious. For the record, they are nowhere near my favorite band, but I do still like them.

Shawn

I'll go one better, I think it's an outstanding album. And one of last year's best. Sure the lyrics to "This Fire" aren't the best. But doesn't every band have at least one song on each album that is considered filler? Or maybe not as good as the rest? I agree though, those lyrics are cheesy.
Old 02-23-05, 09:14 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts
Sadly, I've heard the entire album many times. Usually, when I hear an album that much (not by choice, but still), I tend to accept certain songs as being quite good (where, upon one listen, I may flat-out say the song sucks). But I can honestly say that I don't enjoy a single track on that entire album.

from Cheating On You:
goodbye girl, it isn't over
goodbye girl, because it's only love
I'm cheating on you, yeah
I'm cheating on me

From Michael:
This is where I'll be, so heavenly.
(that one might as well be in a Lindsay Lohan song)

I'm not trying to say that lyrics are the most important thing ever. It's just that, in cases like Franz Ferdinand, they put a strong emphasis on their lyrics (by the way the songs are structured), and they churn out crap like the above passages. It would be slightly more tolerable if the music was a little more interesting, but to my ears, it's very... basic, in the sense that it doesn't feel like they're offering anything remotely original; lyrically or musically. Bah, anyway. I'm typing too much. I have no problem with people who like FF. I just simply can't stand them.

Coldplay fans, on the other hand...
Old 02-23-05, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
It's just that, in cases like Franz Ferdinand, they put a strong emphasis on their lyrics (by the way the songs are structured), and they churn out crap like the above passages. It would be slightly more tolerable if the music was a little more interesting, but to my ears, it's very... basic, in the sense that it doesn't feel like they're offering anything remotely original; lyrically or musically. Bah, anyway. I'm typing too much. I have no problem with people who like FF. I just simply can't stand them.

Coldplay fans, on the other hand...
maybe a strong emphasis on campy lyrics? franz ferdinand's music is fun to listen to. because the lyrics are so goofy. unless they're fruitcakes, my guess is they're fully aware of this. i think that album is great.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.