Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

When does a new Kayne West CD drop?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

When does a new Kayne West CD drop?

Old 08-20-05, 02:39 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where are you guys finding the songs?
Old 08-20-05, 10:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by whynotsmile

There's this thing called The Internet. You should look into it.
Old 08-20-05, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by whynotsmile
Haha. Seriously, just wait another week til it comes out or until MTV.com streams it on their site.
Old 08-20-05, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kanye doesn't have the best flow in the world (nor will any other rapper as long as Jay-Z's alive) but, like Tupac, you can feel everything he says. And you can tell he can feel everything he says. I think the album's pretty great and still growing on me. For the most part, all the guest appearances are tight. I love "My Way Home", which is just a short and sweet track with Common bobbing and weaving around a great Gil Scott-Heron sample. Nas and Jay-Z both come through with very nice verses on "We Major" and the Diamonds Remix, respectively. Jay talks about retaining the Roc name, his split from Dame and his presidency at Def Jam, while Nas "drops" an introspective verse that reminds me a lot of his work on War from Street Disciple (which I think is the best track on that album, by the way). On "Gone" Cam'ron drops some of his patented nonsequitars that, for better or worse, are the toast of the New York rap scene these days and Consequense keeps up the trend of stealilng tracks on other people's albums (unfortunately only to put out substandard solo material). "Touch The Sky" sounds like something that would have been at home on Common's album (and that's not a bad thing). I'm not a big Paul Wall fan (I'm not sold on the Swishahouse shit just yet), but the song "Drive Slow" is one of the standouts on the album. The beat is a nice meshing of Kanye's organic production and the syrup-twinged sound of DJ Screw (the end of the track is even "screwed" for you "syrup sippers" out there.) "Hey Mama" sports a moderately different mix than the version that's been popping up on various Kanye bootlegs over the past year or so. My only complaint is the exact same thing that I complained about with College Dropout...skits that take away from the flow of the album. The intro, with Bernie Mac calling Kanye a 4th Grader because he's always sporting that backpack, is pretty funny, but the other 4 skits are infinately skippable and in Kanye's ever so publicized quest for perfection, these skits are very forgettable. While I've already copped an internet copy of the album, I'll gladly be purchasing the album when it "drops" on the 30th. On almost all the tracks, you can feel the influence and instrumentation of Jon Brion. All in all, the album is very ambitious, and only on the skits does it fail to live up to that ambition.

Last edited by kurupt; 08-21-05 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08-20-05, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

this cd maybe be better than his first cd
its very good, my fav song might be addiction but this is a spectacular release
Old 08-20-05, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder why Game doesn't actually spit a verse on "Crack Music", but the music rides long enough after Kanye's second verse that a third verse could have easily fit in. Then again, the beat is so tight, I don't mind letting the music ride - I wish more producers would do the same.

The problem with skits is that I've rarely heard a skit that I've wanted to hear a second time (and these aren't even that funny the first time) - he should've taken a cue from Common and left it skitless
Old 08-20-05, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yeah the skits are horrible
Old 08-20-05, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff
Well if you burn the CD, just burn it without them. Problem solved. But hey, I'm buyin' this one, no doubt about it.
Old 08-21-05, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff
ever since Dre's "The Chronic" rappers have tried to make funny rap skits and have been unsuccessful
Old 08-25-05, 10:37 PM

Kanye West- Late Registration CD

I already heard all the songs from the Late Registration, and it is alot better than The College Dropout. Pretty much all the songs are all good. Nice song and beat!!!! The Best Song that I like on that CD is the "Celebration" song, it's very relaxing!!! So if ya'll want to know the tracks on the CD again, here I will give it to you!!!!, Note: You can download it from a music download site like ares lite or napster!!!!

1. Wake Up Mr. West (:41)
2. Heard 'Em Say featuring Adam Levine of Maroon 5 (3:24)
3. Touch The Sky featuring Lupe Fiasco (3:56)
4. Gold Digger featuring Jamie Foxx (3:27)
5. Skit #1 (:33)
6. Drive Slow featuring Paul Wall & GLC (4:32)
7. My Way Home featuring Common (1:43)
8. Crack Music featuring Game (4:31)
9. Roses (4:05)
10. Bring Me Down featuring Brandy (3:19)
11. Addiction (4:27)
12. Skit #2 (:31)
13. Diamonds From Sierra Leone (Remix) featuring Jay-Z (3:53)
14. We Major featuring Nas & Really Doe (7:28)
15. Skit #3 (:24)
16. Hey Mama (5:05)
17. Celebration (3:18)
18. Skit #4 (1:19)
19. Gone featuring Consequence & Cam'Ron (5:33)
20. **BONUS TRACK**Diamonds From Sierra Leone (3:58)
21. **HIDDEN TRACK** Late (3:50)
Old 08-28-05, 10:40 AM

Anyone know what's on the Limited Edition version?

EDIT: from www.kanyewest.com merchandise section

This limited edition version of the CD, comes in a embossed digipak, and includes a folded poster inside exclusive only to this version of the CD. This version is available in very limited numbers and only in the albums 1st pressing.
Regular version sounds fine to me.

Last edited by FrozenMetalHead; 08-28-05 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-28-05, 01:13 PM

I was wondering the same thing about the LE. I'm a big Kanye fan, so a poster sounds cool, but I'm pretty sure I'll just go for the $9.99 version. Can't wait, love this CD.
Old 08-28-05, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was also wondering about the LE. Doesn't sound like it's worth the extra $3 to me. I've avoided listening to the leaked tracks, ever since I heard of Jon Brion's involvement I became REALLY interested in this disc.

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
ever since Dre's "The Chronic" rappers have tried to make funny rap skits and have been unsuccessful
AFAIK, it goes back a little further. Prince Paul became the father of the hip-hop skit when he produced De La Soul's 3 Feet High and Rising (1989). That album and De La Soul Is Dead (1991) actually have pretty funny skits which I still find humorous. I have a love/hate thing with Prince Paul, though, since he's one of my absolutely favorite producers, but damn him for unleashing a million unfunny imitation skits. I haven't found any non-PP skits funny except maybe Dre's "Deez Nuts" and the "Ghost Weed" ones on one of De La's AOI discs.
Old 08-29-05, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I forgot all about Ghost Weed - classic stuff
Old 08-29-05, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Pitchfork's 9.5 [out of 10.0] review
Old 08-30-05, 02:03 PM

Everyone and their mother was buying this at Best Buy this morning. People kept going in and out from work with multiple copies of the CD. It's gonna be a million seller in the first week.
Old 08-30-05, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PJsig08
Everyone and their mother was buying this at Best Buy this morning. People kept going in and out from work with multiple copies of the CD. It's gonna be a million seller in the first week.
Went to Best Buy to cop it this morning. Got there only 20 minutes after they had opened and it looked like there had been several people there who beat me to it.

For those with sat radio:

XM:
8/30
Kanye In The City
The City - XM 67 - 8PM ET
Kanye West's inside The City delivering his project, Late Registration, breaking it down every track.

Sirius:
Kanye West Visits The All Out Show
Tues 8/30 4:00 pm ET
Shade 45 // Ch. 45
Old 08-31-05, 11:01 AM

Anyone pick up the LE? Wondering if it was worth the extra $2....and how is the poster?
Old 08-31-05, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PJsig08
Anyone pick up the LE? Wondering if it was worth the extra $2....and how is the poster?
I got the regular version. I for one hate the kind of cases the LE came in.
Old 08-31-05, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So far this record isn't grabbing me as quick as College Dropout did. It's quite good, and I expect it to be a grower. Every Kanye fan should track down "We Can Make It Better" from the Japanese release - it's fantastic.
Old 08-31-05, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by BigDaddy
I got the regular version. I for one hate the kind of cases the LE came in.
is it one of those cases where you have to lift the top of the box and inside contains the cd, and a bunch of other crap.
Old 08-31-05, 10:53 PM

I just wanted to say that thanks to this thread title I've been thinking his name was pronounced like "Cane" for many months now. It wasn't until I heard the name mentioned on TV today that I found out it wasn't. Thankfully I've never found myself in a position where I had to say this guy's name out loud in front of others or else I would've embarrassed myself.
Old 09-01-05, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

2 of the bonus tracks on the Japanese version have Common on them
Old 09-01-05, 04:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tscott
I just wanted to say that thanks to this thread title I've been thinking his name was pronounced like "Cane" for many months now. It wasn't until I heard the name mentioned on TV today that I found out it wasn't. Thankfully I've never found myself in a position where I had to say this guy's name out loud in front of others or else I would've embarrassed myself.
Nothing like a simple misspelling to confuse one, huh? I'm actually surprised nobody pointed it out before now.

In regards to the question about an album "dropping", I couldn't find anything about it. If I cared more I could probably look further, but I don't. The closest I can figure is that it has something to do with albums being vinyl, and on old-style turntables, when an album was done playing, the needle arm would lift, return to the beginning, and another album would "drop" into place to begin playing. That may be way off-base, but that's all I could come up with. By the same token, in looking for something to explain the term, I saw a small article about a hip-hop book "dropping" on a certain up-coming date. Ironically, it was a book about hip-hop slang. I wonder if "drop" is in there?

Personally, every time I see this thread referring to his album "dropping", I can't help but liken it to a turd...but then, that's just my weird sense of humor. No offense to Mr. West and his quest to have his name etched into the annals of music history alongside greats like Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Manilow.....

Old 09-01-05, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

geezus

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.