Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Royksopp ever going to release a second album?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-05, 03:26 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Love is an understatement - their first album Melody AM lives in my Home CD changer. Has there been any inkling if and when a second album might materalize?

Old 02-07-05, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
Love is an understatement - their first album Melody AM lives in my Home CD changer. Has there been any inkling if and when a second album might materalize?

Every once in awhile I try to find this same information on the internet but am unsuccessful. I very much look forward to a second album by them.
Old 02-07-05, 08:14 PM

From Billboard

Royksopp Looks To The Future On New Album

Norwegian electronica duo Royksopp is eyeing a summer release for its as-yet-untitled sophomore album for Astralwerks, Billboard.com can exclusively reveal. The set will be the follow-up to the pair's 2002 debut, "Melody A.M.," which spawned "Poor Leno" featuring Kings Of Convenience's Erlend Oye, a No. 5 entry on Billboard's Hot Dance Music/Club Play chart.

"I can tell you that this is definitely a sound which for us is more looking towards the future, than being as reminiscent of the past as our last album was," group member Torbjorn Brundtland tells Billboard.com from the studio. "Even though the last one was called 'Melody A.M.,' this one is even more about melody. For those who want the atmospheric pieces that were on our last one, they'll probably have to wait for the third album."
While they were touring extensively in support of the debut, Brundtland and colleague Svein Berge jotted down ideas "on anything that was in hand, even the recording option we have on our mobile phones," he says. "Because we were touring, we couldn't take them further at the moment. But we kept them, and now these pieces are coming together to form the new album."

Brundtland admits there will be "some boys and some girls on the album" but declined to name names, other than to say it will feature more tracks with vocals than its predecessor. "We always feel we have to move on and venture into things we really haven't done before," he adds. "Working with Erlend was a thing we hadn't done before when we did it, and we're trying to keep that attitude."

The group has tuned out recently released music while it has been working, in favor of a steady diet of "mostly classical music and old Brian Eno," according to Brundtland. "As it feels right now, we are going extremely into the sort of melodic, epic side of things, but the beats aren't as soft as they used to be."

Asked if Royksopp is moving in the new direction his comments seem to imply, Brundtland responds with a laugh, "It feels like we are. It's up to the people. I mean, some people never liked us anyway."

Royksopp is also excited to get back on the road, even though Brundtland says "we never considered ourselves live musicians. But it seems like the songs went down really well, no matter where we played. We have a very sparse setup, so to speak, but we feel energy is more important than having 20 people on stage."

In the meantime, the duo's production work can be heard on several tracks from countrywoman Annie's "Anniemal" (679 Recordings). Brundtland says Royksopp has also remixed an unnamed new Beck song, but it's unclear when that may be released. And for now, an album of remixes originally intended for a 2004 release will remain on the shelf.

"We just felt at that point that it was a bit premature to do it," he says. "When everything is sort of easily available, we feel it's sometimes worthwhile to make something for those people who really want to search out things. The remixes we've done have been that, so we wanted to keep them in that sort of sphere for awhile."
Old 02-08-05, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

just how good is the existing album? it's been on my "to check out" list for some time.
Old 02-08-05, 09:17 AM

Thanks for the link Shiv Shankly!

Originally Posted by Hollowgen
just how good is the existing album? it's been on my "to check out" list for some time.
As for the Melody AM album, the songs are infectious, memorable and akin to sonic bliss, it’s an album that puts a smile on your face, makes you light on your feet and is a sheer delight to listen to over and over again.
Old 02-08-05, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

that's what i like to hear! bumping up on my list now.
Old 02-08-05, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That Poor Leno song rules!
Old 05-05-05, 06:44 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
Hmm...

**New Show**
This new Bimbo’s show will go on sale this Sunday, May 8th at 10am:

Friday, July 15
ROYKSOPP
The Norwegian duo Röyksopp bring their downtempo electronica back
to Bimbos.
Old 05-05-05, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

oh man i love that first cd
classic
Old 05-05-05, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
Hmm...

**New Show**
This new Bimbo’s show will go on sale this Sunday, May 8th at 10am:

Friday, July 15
ROYKSOPP
The Norwegian duo Röyksopp bring their downtempo electronica back
to Bimbos.
godd*** F***ing S***
San Francisco (and LA according to Pollstar) gets every band.
oh well, whatever.
Old 05-05-05, 11:22 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

My wife is a little upset at the number of shows that have been coming through.
Old 05-06-05, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JUNE 27 in the UK
Royksopp "The Understanding"
Old 05-07-05, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Excellent news. Thanks!
Old 05-08-05, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Listening to Melody AM again this morning. Can't wait for the new one.
Old 05-08-05, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
It's coming out in the next few weeks. Check out their remix of the Beck "Still Missing"

I actually think Melody A.M. isn't that great with the exception of about 4 or 5 awesome songs. All the other stuff is IDM-wannabe filler. Still a good album.
Old 07-10-05, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
i actually think Melody A.M. isn't that great with the exception of about 4 or 5 awesome songs...... Still a good album.
Yes, and on the evidence of my first few initial listens, better than the current one.

Out of curiosity, i've got the UK 2 cd edition, is there supposedly a version with dvd being released in the U.S?
Old 07-10-05, 11:37 AM

I don't know if it's a dvd but here's amazon (US) album description:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...225168-7418327
Old 07-10-05, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Cool album cover. I haven't heard their debut, but the new one has some excellent songs. Need to go back and listen to the Melody AM.
Old 07-11-05, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
This new album is garbage. I've only listened to it once but it sounds like every "Chill Out Beats" mix CD you can buy for $10.99.

I'll give it a couple more chances but right now it's the second worst album of this year.

And I LOVED some of the songs on Melody A.M..

Looks like Röyksopp went the way of Faithless. Couple of great early singles, then everything disintegrated.