DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Rap/Hip-Hop songs that sample older songs? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/404092-rap-hip-hop-songs-sample-older-songs.html)

RyoHazuki 01-07-05 05:54 PM

Rap/Hip-Hop songs that sample older songs?

What are some rap or hip-hop songs that sample older songs?

Al Padrino 01-07-05 06:02 PM

Virtually all of mainstream rap today samples something. I'd say Cam'Ron and the Diplomats are quite guilty of this. Then you have obvious tracks like Trick Daddy's Let's Go that sample well-known songs. I guess it depends on what you mean by "old songs."

Jray 01-07-05 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Al Padrino
Virtually all of mainstream rap today samples something.

Phew! Yeah, really. So many songs have sampled so many older songs. We could fill a whole forum with lists.

For an example of some of the best though, check out the Beastie Boys' "Paul's Boutique". This album was responsible for many of the rules and regulations that have made it so hard for people nowadays to sample. Back then everything was a free-for-all and people did what they wanted. Now they have to get clearance and rights if they don't want to have to open their pocketbook to another artist after the fact.

Burnt Alive 01-07-05 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
What are some rap or hip-hop songs that sample older songs?

Better question:

What rap songs don't?

PopcornTreeCt 01-07-05 07:24 PM

All of them.

RyoHazuki 01-08-05 12:40 PM

I meant specifically have music and lyrics from the actual song. Like that Eminem song that has "Dream On" in it.

Michael Corvin 01-08-05 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Burnt Alive
Better question:

What rap songs don't?

ZING! It would be a shorter thread.

wm lopez 01-08-05 11:08 PM

I always wondered what if you took a 50 year old truck driver and had him read somes ryhmes that he himself wrote and then used the background sample of say the Rollin Stones "Miss You" song. Wouldn't that become a hit record today?

RyoHazuki 01-09-05 04:10 PM

Found this site: http://www.the-breaks.com

Gil Jawetz 01-10-05 10:00 AM

This has been posted before, but here's a site that breaks down all the samples on Paul's Boutique: http://www.moire.com/beastieboys/samples/songs.php

Sampling today is often a crutch for the lazy. Once upon a time (and before legislation) it was a real artform.

namja_y2j 01-10-05 04:36 PM

-check out Slick Rick's "Children's Story" then check out Mos Def's "Children's Story;" Mos follows Slick Ricks rhyme scheme and flow.

-The Fugees - "Killing Me Softly," "No Woman, No Cry"

-Lauryn Hill - "Can't Take My Eyes Off of You"

Jray 01-11-05 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Gil Jawetz
This has been posted before, but here's a site that breaks down all the samples on Paul's Boutique: http://www.moire.com/beastieboys/samples/songs.php

Sampling today is often a crutch for the lazy. Once upon a time (and before legislation) it was a real artform.

WOW! Thanks for the link. I always knew that they sampled a ton on this album but I didn't realize how much and how many diverse sources they used (they're all over the place). That was definitely a work of art. It's amazing how they took all those wildly different sources and melded them into one cohesive AWESOME album. And yet, it was somehow very under-rated and underappreciated.

Da Thrilla 01-11-05 05:42 PM

Basically everything from P. Diddy

Rubix 01-12-05 01:53 AM

Ice Cube - Jackin' For Beats

prepare to hear the utter superiority of old rap to modern rap because back then no one paid for samples and the music companies didn't seem to care. the samples today are sparce and crappy because it costs too much to have like 30 different samples in a single song and it's harder to get permission even if you can pay.

conscience 01-12-05 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Al Padrino
Then you have obvious tracks like Trick Daddy's Let's Go that sample well-known songs.

When I heard that song I almost feel off the couch, c'mon Ozzy. How could you?

I think the song would actually be better without the sample of Ozzy's voice, acutally.

kurupt 01-12-05 01:11 PM

Sampling is rampant in the hiphop industry. Like someone said before, to some it's a crutch, and to some it's an artform. For instance, I have a couple of Timbaland "Samplemix" cds and these have a clip of the Timbaland produced song followed by the song that he sampled or interpolated. Wow...everything from obscure Celtic tunes to British Drum-N-Bass to old Bluegrass songs. The way he uses the music, though, is brilliant. As opposed to just a continuous loop of 5 or 6 seconds from the original track (a la Puffy and Murder Inc...) he either has small portions replayed with different instruments and sometimes even buries that very deep in the mix to where it's not even the main melody of the song, just a dissonant sound in the background that's not really perceptible until the 3rd or 4th listen. On Ginuwine's second cd, I forget what track it is, out of nowhere a line of the old Queen Flash Gordon soundtrack just pops up ("...defender of the universe") and then gets buried in the mix not to be heard again...sounds weird and random, but it works. I guess what bothers me about the sampling craze is the sampling of tracks that were out like 4 or 5 years ago. Just lazy...

Norm de Plume 01-12-05 01:56 PM

I don't listen to rap, but I do remember some bozo named Ice Cream (?) bastardizing Queen's "Under Pressure".

LorenzoL 01-12-05 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
I don't listen to rap, but I do remember some bozo named Ice Cream (?) bastardizing Queen's "Under Pressure".

Vanilla Ice's "Ice, Ice Baby"

Jray 01-12-05 02:09 PM

That would be Vanilla Ice with his song "Ice Ice Baby". That was one of the most notorious examples because he basically straight ripped the melody, used it in his song and then denied it. It was more than a sample because it was the melody to his song as well. To this day he still gets clowned on MTV and VH1 for it (like in the "I love the 90's" show).

"No, mine goes da da dum da da dum dum..."

edit: whoops, beaten to the punch while I was typing... ;)

conscience 01-12-05 02:30 PM

What is your age range?

I can't believe anyone who knows that little fact would not know Vanilla Ice's "name".

:lol:

hardcore 01-12-05 05:00 PM

While it's dangerous to make assumptions about such things, I'm pretty sure he was joking... :)

conscience 01-12-05 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by hardcore
While it's dangerous to make assumptions about such things, I'm pretty sure he was joking... :)

I was too...

:confused: :D

GuessWho 01-12-05 08:53 PM

[QUOTE=namja_y2j]
-The Fugees - "Killing Me Softly,"QUOTE]

That's not a sample -- that's Lauryn Hill singing

There's a BIG difference between sampling and doing a cover version/remake

DRG 01-12-05 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by wm lopez
I always wondered what if you took a 50 year old truck driver and had him read somes ryhmes that he himself wrote and then used the background sample of say the Rollin Stones "Miss You" song. Wouldn't that become a hit record today?

No, because the music scene today is more about image than the actual music, and no teenager would want anything to do with a 50-year-old anything. Hell, Green Day are considered 'elder statesmen' these days.

wm lopez 01-13-05 12:56 AM

So a teenager would rather buy a rap cd from a thug unknown curing on cd with a bad voice over some 70's disco sample than say buy a cd from a bad that plays it own instruments and writes it's own orignal music and has a lead singer with a good voice.