Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Lord of the Rings Deluxe Soundtrack-when?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-04, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Seems I heard about the time Two Towers was in theaters that there were plans to release a multi-CD soundtrack set with music from all three of the movies that would include the additional score material of the EEs as well as material not previously released on the other STs.

Any new info. on this?
Old 01-02-05, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
No info I guess.
Old 01-02-05, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seems like it would be a no brainer. My GF would love something like this, especially if it had all the Elizabeth Frazier material.
Old 01-02-05, 10:23 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I remember reading a Howard Shore interview posted on TORC done while he was composing music for the EE of RoTK and mentioned that all of the music done for the three films could be released sometime next year.
Old 01-02-05, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Please, please, please, please, please release it in hi-rez.....
Old 09-16-05, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The first one is just around the corner.

http://soundtrack.net/news/article/?id=660

Complete LORD OF THE RINGS: FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING coming in November
Release Date: (09/16/2005)
The complete Oscar and Grammy winning score to "The Fellowship of the Ring," from the epic film trilogy "The Lord of the Rings," will be available in a deluxe four-disc edition from Reprise/WMG Soundtracks on November 22nd, 2005.

This historic release contains over 180 minutes of music on three CDs, comprising the full score of the 2001 film, composed by Howard Shore. "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The Complete Recordings" marks the first edition of the three complete recording releases of the film trilogy whose score has been honored with three Academy Awards, four Grammy Awards, and two Golden Globe Awards. This deluxe set also includes exclusive new artwork, packaging, and extensive liner notes culled from "The Music of the Lord of the Rings Films," to be published in 2006. Enya's song "May It Be," which received an Oscar nomination for Best Original Song and which she performed at the Academy Awards ceremony, is contained on "The Complete Recordings" within all-new selection titles that reflect the complete score being released in its entirety for the first time.

Says "The Lord of the Rings" director, Peter Jackson, "No matter how many great performances or exciting visuals we put together for the movie, we found that it was all somewhat two dimensional until we added the emotional heart of Howard Shore's music. Then, and only then, did the film come to life."

Added Paul Broucek, Executive Vice President of Music at New Line Cinema, "Listening to the breathtaking music Howard Shore created is like seeing the movie time and time again. You just close your eyes, open your ears and the whole film unfolds before you. Howard's work is incredibly visual, evocative and narrative."

Composer of over sixty film scores, Howard Shore brought a lifetime of experience to creating the epochal soundtrack for The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. Shore used Tolkien's texts and drew from multiple periods throughout music history to evoke the book's enchanted worlds. He developed over 80 leitmotifs to describe the cultures of Middle-earth. Collaborating with authors/lyrists Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens, he composed choral music including the Tolkien-created languages for the Elves (Quenya and Sindarin), the Dwarves (Khuzdûl), Men (Adûnaic) and the evil cultures of Mordor (Black Speech). The result was a movie music breakthrough that has been followed by such subsequent triumphs by Shore as The Aviator, Gangs of New York, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers and "The Return of the King." "The Lord Of The Rings Symphony: Six Movements for Orchestra and Chorus," a two-hour work based on the twelve hours of score composed for the film trilogy, has been performed in over 70 concerts in cities all over the world.

Composed for symphony orchestra and three separate choirs, "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The Complete Recordings" highlights two original compositions by the multi-platinum Irish recording artist, Enya, including "Aníron (Theme for Aragorn and Arwen)" and "May It Be." Also featured in the score are solo performances by Elizabeth Fraser, Edward Ross, Mabel Faletolu as well as cast members Ian Holm, Ian McKellen, Viggo Mortensen, Billy Boyd and Dominic Monaghan.

The fourth disc will present "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The Complete Recordings" in 5.1 Surround Sound in DVD format. The set will also include exclusive new artwork, packaging, and extensive liner notes: "The Music of the Lord of the Rings Films -- Part I: The Fellowship of the Ring" by author Doug Adams.

"Appropriately enough for the film adaptation of one of fantasy literature's most enduring favorites," wrote the All Music Guide, "Howard Shore's score for Peter Jackson's 'The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring' is traditional and majestic, using sweeping strings, brass and choral sections to create moments of fire-and-brimstone menace as well heroic triumph."
Old 09-16-05, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
oh wow thanks for the heads up.
so disc 4 is what ultimatly would be an isolated score in 5.1 , now question, do we know if this will include new cues that were used for the extended dvd? Hopefully they will also include in the booklet approximatly what scene the song is from.
Old 09-16-05, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
wow. this sounds GREAT.
Old 09-17-05, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Please, please, please, please, please let disc 4 be hi-rez.....
Old 09-18-05, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"First one"? I wanted a boxed set!

Old 10-28-05, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

An epic film score receives epic treatment with The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring/Complete Recordings. Released for the first time on CD, the complete score for the first film in the Lord of the Rings trilogy contains more than 180 minutes of music on three CDs plus a DVD-Audio disc of the entire score in Surround Sound. Breathtaking and majestic, the 2001 Oscar and Grammy winning score compsted by Howard Shore also includes Enya's Oscar nominated "May It Be." For fans of any of The Lord of the Rings films, the Fellowship of the Ring/Complete Recordings is an essential experience.
Disc 1

1. Prologue: One Ring to Rule Them All
2. The Shire
3. Bag End
4. Very Old Friends
5. Flaming Red Hair
6. Farewell Dear Bilbo
7. Keep It Secret, Keep It Safe
8. A Conspiracy Unmasked
9. Three Is Company
10. The Passing of The Elves
11. Saruman the White
12. A Shortcut to Mushrooms
13. Strider
14. The Nazgûl

Disc 2

1. Weathertop
2. The Caverns of Isengard
3. Give Up the Halfling
4. Orthanc
5. Rivendell
6. The Sword That Was Broken
7. The Council of Elrond Assembles Featuring “Aníron (Theme for Aragorn and Arwen)” Composed & performed by Enya
8. The Great Eye
9. Gilraen's Memorial
10. The Pass of Caradhras
11. The Doors of Durin
12. Moria
13. Gollum
14. Balin's Tomb

Disc 3

1. Khazad-dûm
2. Caras Galadhon Featuring “Lament for Gandalf” performed by Elizabeth Fraser
3. The Mirror Of Galadriel
4. The Fighting Uruk-hai
5. Parth Galen
6. The Departure Of Boromir
7. The Road Goes Ever On… Pt. 1
8. May It Be Composed & performed by Enya
9. The Road Goes Ever On… Pt. 2 Featuring “In Dreams” performed by Edward Ross
Old 10-28-05, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Gil Jawetz
Seems like it would be a no brainer. My GF would love something like this, especially if it had all the Elizabeth Frazier material.
Girls aren't the only ones who love Elizabeth Fraser's voice!
Old 12-13-05, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,077 Likes on 652 Posts
So did anyone buy the Complete Recordings yet? Came out today and I was thinking about it.

Best price???
Old 12-14-05, 12:37 AM

Amazon has lowered their price...

it was selling for $53.99 now it's selling for $47.99 ..

thats amuzing .. a week ago I noticed that barns & noble had it cheaper than $53 & I e-mailed amazon about price matching & they said they don't do that...
I kept the amazon order because after adding tax to the B&N order it was the same $$...

I caught Amazon about 2 months ago doing the same price switch on something probably a DVD set..
Old 12-14-05, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
$50?! For just Fellowship? I don't think so. I was thinking of getting it, but damn someone still hasn't gotten the message about CDs, either that or they just know the fans will pay whatever regardless.

And what is with the DVD-Audio disc? There are what, 5 people that bought into that format? Why not a standard DVD with 5.1?

This should not be more than $30. Oh well. I guess I will be waiting for a price drop, or major sale.
Old 12-14-05, 11:09 AM

as for price its LotR ... this & HD-DVD are the last ways for them to make $$..
All DVD-A discs are 5.1 with the Audio part being extra if you got the equip...
Old 12-14-05, 11:35 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I want this very badly but, due to the price, I'll have to leave it in Santa's hands...
Old 12-14-05, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Joshua B
Girls aren't the only ones who love Elizabeth Fraser's voice!
I wasn't joking! She's a big fan. I love her voice, too, but my GF is a big big fan.

However, considering that this is just the one film, I think I'll have to pass this time. Maybe later.
Old 12-14-05, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Looks similar to:
Old 12-15-05, 01:01 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
has anyone actually bought this? Exactly what is the tracklisting for Disc 4: the 5.1 surround sound edition?
Old 12-16-05, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I thought I would check out the packaging at Best Buy last night. They had none.
Old 12-16-05, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

$49.99 at TOWER RECORDS (so sayeth the ad for it in the LAWeekly in Los Angeles)
Old 12-16-05, 04:56 PM

disc 4 is disc 1 thru 3 entirely in DVD-Audio ...thats 5.1 & what ever the Audio stuff equals out to be..

ps their is no video to this...

its only a 1 pict background that shows the track title...
Old 12-18-05, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts
was looking thru the box sets at BB on Tuesday and came upon this... looks like a small photo album, was $49.99 I believe.
Old 12-18-05, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really liked the original single disc version of this soundtrack (and I typically do not like soundtrack music). So I preordered this for $41.99 from CDUniverse. It's a really nice set. It does look a lot like a little book. The DVD-Audio disc is inset into the cover and the 3 x regular CDs are in a triple pack, similar to how some TV Show DVD cases work. There is also a fairly thick booklet that talks all about the score. The part of the box that has the CDs and book has a red satin ribbon to use to pull them out (so you don't have to dump them out or pull them out with your fingernails). So far I think the music is great (I'll keep the original soundtrack CD too as it is a nice "condesed" version) and the only thing I find distracting is the inclusion of some vocal samples from the film itself. They're short and I guess they help to identify the scene the music is from but I feel they are superfluous and a bit distracting.

-Gunshy

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.