Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What happened to VH1's Pop Up video?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-04, 02:12 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It disappeared along with all music programming from VH1 a couple years ago.
Old 12-29-04, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The show was really popular when it first came out, but like most cable hits it was quickly overkilled by constant airings and quicky spinoffs to capitalize on the popularity of the show. I believe it still airs occasionally in late night from time to time.

VH1 has also turned into a station much like MTV. It constantly retools itself every few months and is always trying new concepts. Nothing has seemed to work for them from the high they experienced about five years ago when Pop Up Video and Behind the Music were at their most popular. Their transformation into MTV-Lite killed off alot of their older fanbase and they are essentially useless nowadays since they don't really have a unique target audience as MTV is hitting all the same demographics with "better" programming.
Old 12-29-04, 08:24 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Yeah, that was a pretty good show. Now VH1 is nothing more than a "Top 100 this or that" channel.
Old 12-29-04, 11:18 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They're pretty much all about nostalgic programming for people who grew up in the 70s and later. I think they have a lot of good 'disposable programming', meaning stuff I can flip on a watch for a random amount of time and be entertained but I don't care if I miss or finish any of it.
Old 12-31-04, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I miss pop-up videos. In fact, I think that's all I've ever watched on them (the last time being several years ago).
Old 12-31-04, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I miss that show, too. I will admit that I like having VH1 be the Pop Culture Channel now. I'd much rather have that than when it was the Michael Bolton Channel years ago.
Old 12-31-04, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I loved the show they only had one season of called Bands on the Run.......they had like 4 different bands competing for a record contract......raising money on the road and what not, it was pretty awesome.
Old 12-31-04, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by demonio
I loved the show they only had one season of called Bands on the Run.......they had like 4 different bands competing for a record contract......raising money on the road and what not, it was pretty awesome.
Damn I forgot about that show. It really was great. One of the best "reality" shows I've ever watched. Flickerstick almost had a hit as well, too bad they never really broke through as I liked their sound.

I also forgot about Pop-Up video. I don't understand why they don't bring it back. It seems like it would fit perfectly into their new channel brand. The show was interesting and quite funny at times.
Old 12-31-04, 05:42 PM

I guess Pop Up Video went the way of Behind the Music. When BTM started airing around '97 I watched it a lot, even the ones on singers or bands I barely knew. I guess by now they've pretty much ran out of interesting ones to do, because I've only seen one or two new episodes in the last year. The GNR one was decent, but without any involvement by Axl it was a pretty one sided view of their breakup and the end was basically an ad for Velvet Revolver. And Izzy Stradlin didn't take part either (this guy must really want to stay out of the public eye these days) so the show wasn't nearly as good as it could have been.

VH1 has way too many of those lame "100 most awesomely dirty cheesetastic videos with a dancing midget..." type countdowns, with Z-level comedians and magazine writers smugly acting like they know what's cool or hip. About the only thing I still watch on the channel are the "I Love the..." shows and "Best Week Ever". They're pretty fun nostalgia trips (some of it very recent nostalgia) and the commentary is much funnier and wittier on the whole than those other countdown shows.