Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What are some good bands similar to Coldplay and Keane.

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What are some good bands similar to Coldplay and Keane.

Old 05-30-05, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
IMO I find the new album from British Sea Power to be more consistent and enjoyable than the first.
Old 05-30-05, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Starsailor are way better than Coldplay.

I never thought of Travis as being similar, but they are an awesome band, especially live.
Hell no, maybe on Mars they are better.

As for similar bands, Snow Patrol is the band to check out.
Old 06-07-05, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I want to thank all of the posters to this thread. I spent a good part of the weekend familiarizing myself with many of the bands noted. Keane stands out a lot. While they sound great, I find myself wishing that there was a few guitar solos embedded in their great melodies. Still, great pop music from the Brits.
Old 06-07-05, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just wanted to add a new band, Engineers. To me, they sound like a slower version of Keane or Snow Patrol. Really melodic and dreamy music. But at least for now, it seems that you can only get their music through imports or downloading as their albums haven't been released in the US yet.
Old 06-08-05, 11:49 AM

In regards to the Engineers - they are touring with Bloc Party later this month, which would suggest that their album might get a stateside release (at least at the show).
Old 06-08-05, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles
In regards to the Engineers - they are touring with Bloc Party later this month, which would suggest that their album might get a stateside release (at least at the show).
Oooohh . . must run out to get bloc party tickets.
Old 12-24-11, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: What are some good bands similar to Coldplay and Keane.

Originally Posted by xDareDevilx View Post
hey chess,

I see you've been gettin some good recommendations on here! I agree with you about starsailor...i've had their first album for years, and was excited to hear the new one...but what I've heard I don't like. Which sucks, cause I love their first one!

If you like Muse (i'm going to see them on 4/24!!!), you should check out the band Ours. Their cd "Distorted Lullaby" is excellent. It sounds a whole lot like the cd "absolution" by Muse. The singer is even very similar, sounding a bit more like Jeff Buckley though IMO. ANyway, I think you'd dig that cd by Ours.
Not sure what made me dig up this thread, but I'm glad I did.

I've found some of my favorite bands from this thread, and now I can add Ours to the list. Agree that they sound a bit like Jeff Buckley.

Also, I highly recommend Athlete's newest album "Black Swan"
Old 12-28-11, 01:33 AM

Wow...I just downloaded SO MUCH music by reading this resurrected thread. Picked up some Keane, Starsailor, the Travis single collection, and checking out Ours now.

I'm also kind of digging Luke Reynolds' (singer of Blue Merle) newer stuff, I'm listening to the album Maps and it's not bad so far. But we'll see.

And, for kicks, I really am digging the 2 oasis frontmen albums. I especially like 'everybody's on the run' by Noel Gallaghers High Flying Birds. And 'Kill for a Dream' by Beady Eye is pretty sweet too.
Old 01-08-12, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Glad you found it useful.

I found MUSE, Athlete, Aqualung, Travis, Starsailor and Ours in this thread and probably 10 or so of my 100 favorite albums.

They are a slightly different genre...maybe more Arctic Monkeys than Keane, but if you guys haven't listened to the Fratellis, you should remedy that.

Samples:

http://www.amazon.com/Costello-Music...mm_msc_title_0
Old 01-09-12, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is kind of serendipitous, as I've been on a bit of a Keane kick lately.

Gotta second many bands I've already seen listed (Doves, Travis, Starsailor, Ours). I'd also add to the thread some that I haven't seen mentioned yet, which are similar, or enough so, that others here might enjoy them, too...

Gomez
Radiant
Bril
The Din Pedals / Palo Alto / Golden State - all bands fronted by James Grundler (in that order)
As Tall As Lions
The Verve / Richard Ashcroft
Aqualung
Belarus
Magnet
Cary Brothers
Howie Day