Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What are some good bands similar to Coldplay and Keane.

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What are some good bands similar to Coldplay and Keane.

Old 01-02-05, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Got Travis' Singles CD in the mail a few days ago. It's pretty good, but I don't think it has much in common with the Radiohead, Coldplay, Keane genre. I also knew several songs off the CD, but never really knew who made them.

Hopefully, Starsailor's first album is a bit more engaging than their newer one, which I also just got in the mail.

I can't even tell you how much I like Aqualung. That CD has been getting a lot of spin around here lately. Thanks to whomever recommended them. My GF digs them as well, and she usually has shite taste in music, so double thanks.
Old 01-03-05, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by A.D.D. for DVD
Check out Starsailor... the lead singer has an amazing voice (better than Chris Martin, in my opinion), and they are constantly compared to Coldplay. Their first CD, "Love Is Here" is absolutely amazing.
Last post...promise.

Just got my copy of "Love is Here" today, and it is really good...definitely better than their newer one, which is also decent. I can't agree with wenders about them being better than Coldplay though. That's just crazy talk.

From what I've heard so far, I'd rank this genre:

Radiohead (pre-Kid A)
Coldplay
Aqualung
Keane
Starsailor

None of the others I heard mentioned fit into this scene IMO.
Old 01-04-05, 10:00 AM

hmmm..

here's some bands that I think sound similiar to Keane (less so than say Coldplay)

- Geneva
- Astrid
- Embrace
- Longpigs
- Lowgold
- Rialto
- Unbelievable Truth
- Ultrasound
- Ballroom
- Echo and The Bunnymen
- Lightning Seeds
- Beautiful South
- Mansun (album: Little Kix)

Last edited by Giles; 01-04-05 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-04-05, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
- Echo and The Bunnymen
That reminds me...

check out THE SOUND

You won't be sorry...
Old 01-31-05, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess this is OT, but if you get to see Keane live on their curremt tour, I say DO IT! I just saw them in ATL this past Friday and thought it was an AMAZING show.

I guess I've been to too many "superstar" concerts where tickets are $100 and t-shirts are $50. Walking in the door, I was offered an autographed copy of Hopes and Fears for $15. I have it in MP3, but hadn't gotten around to buying it yet.. so why the hell not buy it? And the tickets? Only $20 for Keane, The Zutons and The Redwalls. A damn fine value, if I may say so.

And of course, the show itself kicked ass. Keane sounds really good live. Not one of those bands that sounds *exactly* like the album, yet they pull off their sound so that it sounds as rich and deep live as it does in the studio.
Old 01-31-05, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

PS - sorry to resurrect an old thread. I didn't even look at the last post date until I hit the reply button!
Old 01-31-05, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by chess
The verdict is in on Aqualung.....
How this guy doesn't have a US distributor is beyond me.
3/22 will see the release of Aqualung in the states
Old 02-12-05, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't think Athlete were mentioned. Check them out, particularly their new album which even has a Chris Martin penned track.

Also, Embrace, who released their 3rd album last year. They're a fantastic band, but their 3rd album also features a Chris Martin track. Looks like the guy is just giving them out for free these days.
Old 02-13-05, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by musick
Old 02-18-05, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't know what happened to Blue Merle between their original six song EP (from a couple of years ago, not the recent Fires EP) and major label debut that just came out, but damned if the lead singer doesn't sound just like Coldplay's Chris Martin now...distractingly so.
Old 02-18-05, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Travis just shits all over every band mentioned in this thread. They're also a GREAT live act.
Old 02-18-05, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by musick
?
Old 02-18-05, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Run, don't walk, to buy this album. Not available in the U.S. yet. Got it from Amazon.co.uk. Their review is below. It's a superb album. Debuted at #1 on the British charts.

Amazon.co.uk Review
After their first album brought Athlete both commercial and critical success (including a Mercury Prize nomination), it was always going to be a tough act to follow. But on Tourist, the London four-piece have ditched the quirky pop of their debut and instead created an album that rivals Coldplay with its sweeping guitars, soaring melodies and emotive lyrics. Sonically, there's much going on here: from strings to electronic beats and squelchy, synthesized bleeps. As a result, Tourist manages to sound both epic and personal at the same time--a change reminiscent of Radiohead's move from the Britpop of Pablo Honey to the inspired songwriting of The Bends. Best of all, singer Joel Pott has managed to ditch the Mockney accent that marred their debut, making Athlete sound like a more serious proposition. And with songs like hit single "Wires", grandiose opener "Chances" and the bouncy, strutting "Modern Mafia", Tourist looks set to elevate Athlete to a whole new level. --Robert Burrow
Old 02-18-05, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Also need to mention "Absolution" by Muse. My favorite album from the past few years. It is truly amazing. You must buy it. I will personally reimburse your money if you don't like it.

Old 02-20-05, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
?
uhhhh sorry NO (flute)

http://aqualung.net/
Old 02-20-05, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Run, don't walk, to buy this album. Not available in the U.S. yet. Got it from Amazon.co.uk. Their review is below. It's a superb album. Debuted at #1 on the British charts.

Amazon.co.uk Review
After their first album brought Athlete both commercial and critical success (including a Mercury Prize nomination), it was always going to be a tough act to follow. But on Tourist, the London four-piece have ditched the quirky pop of their debut and instead created an album that rivals Coldplay with its sweeping guitars, soaring melodies and emotive lyrics. Sonically, there's much going on here: from strings to electronic beats and squelchy, synthesized bleeps. As a result, Tourist manages to sound both epic and personal at the same time--a change reminiscent of Radiohead's move from the Britpop of Pablo Honey to the inspired songwriting of The Bends. Best of all, singer Joel Pott has managed to ditch the Mockney accent that marred their debut, making Athlete sound like a more serious proposition. And with songs like hit single "Wires", grandiose opener "Chances" and the bouncy, strutting "Modern Mafia", Tourist looks set to elevate Athlete to a whole new level. --Robert Burrow
Good stuff. Thanks.
Old 02-21-05, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Have a listen to their song "Wires" on the official website (www.athlete.mu). Either under Audio or Video. Very powerful song. Just found out it was about the singer's newborn child in intensive care.

The lyrics:

You got wires, going in
You got wires, coming out of your skin
You got tears, making tracks
I got tears, that are scared of the facts

Running down corridors, through automatic doors
Got to get to you, got to see this through
I see is hope is here, in a plastic box
Iíve seen christmas lights, reflect in your eyes

You got wires, going in
You got wires, coming out of your skin
Thereís dry blood, on your wrist
Your dry blood on my fingertip

Running down corridoors, through automatic doors
First night of your life, curled up on your own
Looking at you now, you would never know

I see it in your eyes, I see it in your eyes
Youíll be alright
I see it in your eyes, I see it in your eyes
Youíll be alright

Alright

Running down corridors, through automatic doors
I see is hope is here, in a plastic box
Iíve seen christmas lights, reflect in your eyes
down corridors, through automatic doors
First night of your life, curled up on your own
Looking at you now, you would never know.
Old 02-21-05, 04:40 PM

Also need to mention "Absolution" by Muse. My favorite album from the past few years. It is truly amazing. You must buy it. I will personally reimburse your money if you don't like it.

excellent album after one listening. I now have Aqualung, Athlete, and Muse from this thread. thanks!
Old 02-21-05, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Walter Mitty
excellent album after one listening. I now have Aqualung, Athlete, and Muse from this thread. thanks!
Great! Glad I could help. I know there was one other person here who mentioned Muse. I'm a late bloomer learning about them. Heard the name, but never anything by them. Until I was on my way to England last Fall and saw their video on the plane (Virgin Atlantic). For the song "Sing for Absolution". It blew me away. At first I thought, "Hmmm, Radiohead's Thom Yorke is moonlighting and did vocals for this band". Bought the disc in London. Found out it wasn't Thom Yorke after all. And the album hasn't left my player since buying it. Everyone I've played the album for has gone out and bought it right away.
Old 02-22-05, 10:06 AM

I get the general impression though that the first album from Athlete sounds nothing like their new one, with the second album being the better of the two. Just put an order for this last week from Amazon.co.uk so, I am looking forward to this.
Old 02-22-05, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I get the general impression though that the first album from Athlete sounds nothing like their new one, with the second album being the better of the two.
You're absolutely right that the two albums sound very different to each other. However, the first one is by far the most accomplished. It's far more innovative and consistent (there isn't a bad track on the first album).

The second album has been pretty much rubbished by the UK music press (who absolutely adored their first album) for being too derivative of other UK bands like Keane and Coldplay - basically they've accused Athlete of selling out to make a buck. While I wouldn't go quite this far myself, the 2nd album really is a 'safe' one. I do really like it, but there are some duff tracks and it doesn't really try to be unique or to stand out from the rest of the UK music scene in any way.

Having said all this, no two songs on the first album sounded alike. This is one of the things I really loved about that album. You could hear so many influences from various bands that changed from track to track. At the time, I put this down to the band not wanting to be pigeonholed, but now we have the 2nd album, it looks more like they were actually just trying to find their feet and couldn't quite decide on what type of band they wanted to be.

I look forward to their third album but hope they will revert back to their "Album #1" sound.
Old 02-22-05, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Since we're talking about Muse, I thought I'd point out that they're absolutely phenomenal live. They're only a 3-piece, but the singer (who also plays a mean guitar, and is a classically trained pianist) has complete control of the stage and is one of those musically autistic people who does some amazing things simultaneously and makes it all look easy. They are very tight, and very heavy and one of those professional bands that blows all kinds of people away, regardless of what kind of music they might be into. As far as their albums go, I like Origins Of Symmetry better than their new one. And below is their GREAT live dvd (with DTS, no less), but it's no substitute for seeing them live.

Old 02-22-05, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
Since we're talking about Muse, I thought I'd point out that they're absolutely phenomenal live.
They actually won a Brit Award this year for Best British Live Act

http://brits.co.uk/static/pages/arti...mineesText.php
Old 02-23-05, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's a hell of a recommendation!

I just ordered all 3 of their CDs. Do you paypal?
Old 02-23-05, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I get the general impression though that the first album from Athlete sounds nothing like their new one, with the second album being the better of the two. Just put an order for this last week from Amazon.co.uk so, I am looking forward to this.
Being new to both albums, I'd have to say that I'm enjoying the first one a bit more right now...but that could be attributed to the fact that it's just more catchy. It's also kind of...I dunno..."funky"?

I have a feeling the second one will grow on me more over time, and it sounds more complete as an album and less like a collection of singles (if that makes sense).

I recommend both...strongly.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.