Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Help me find this version of "Amazing Grace"

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-04, 03:35 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure who did it, as it was a sound file I had a while ago and lost, and am trying to find again. I thought maybe someone here might recognize it. I always thought it might have been the ending of a movie or something. It started out with a 21-gun military salute. Then a bagpipe version of "amazing Grace" comes in, plays one verse of the song, then it segues into a sweeping orchestral version (in my mind I pictured it as slowly pulling away from the gun salute, then floating up to the clouds, cause that's how it sounded). Does this sound familiar to anyone, if so could you tell me what movie or TV show it ended?
Old 12-18-04, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Forum Troll
I'm not sure who did it, as it was a sound file I had a while ago and lost, and am trying to find again. I thought maybe someone here might recognize it. I always thought it might have been the ending of a movie or something. It started out with a 21-gun military salute. Then a bagpipe version of "amazing Grace" comes in, plays one verse of the song, then it segues into a sweeping orchestral version (in my mind I pictured it as slowly pulling away from the gun salute, then floating up to the clouds, cause that's how it sounded). Does this sound familiar to anyone, if so could you tell me what movie or TV show it ended?
Sounds like Tommy Boy, but without the 21-gun salute. They start playing the bagpipe version at his dad's funeral, then go into the orchestral version as Tommy is walking down the road alone...except this wasn't at the end of the movie.

NEXT DAY EDIT: Just popped in Tommy Boy, and I guess Amazing Grace wasn't as "orchestral" as I remembered. It did start out with one bagpipe at the funeral, then goes into the rest of the song done by (according to the credits) The Pipes and Drums and Military of The King's Own Scottish Borderers.

Last edited by The_Infidel; 12-19-04 at 10:20 AM.
Old 12-13-17, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Help me find this version of "Amazing Grace"

The correct version is "amazing grace" by the PIPES AND DRUMS AND MILITARY BAND OF THE ROYAL SCOTS DRAGOON BAND.
RCA RECORDS 1971
Found record and thrift store played it and knew right then they used in TOMMY BOY!
Thanks
13 year old mystery.