Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Dr Dre punched at the Vibe Awards

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-04, 04:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just saw a story on the news about Dr Dre getting ready to walk up to the stage at the Vibe awards to accept some award when somebody ran up and punched him in the face. they were showing footage of people throwing chairs into the audience and people punching each other. it was really wild. The news reporter said that it added another black eye on the world of hip hop.

Correction- I think it happened backstage but I'm not sure.
Old 11-16-04, 06:21 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heard this on the radio this morning. Apparently, someone was stabbed as well in the chaos. They are stable at a hospital in the area.
Old 11-16-04, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You know, it's probably not fair for me to focus on these incidents, but it's one reason I don't care much for hip hop these days. Bravado ain't my bag.
Old 11-16-04, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Those wacky rappers and their award show antics.
Old 11-16-04, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/ap/20041116/110062056000.html

One Person Stabbed at Vibe Awards Taping
Tuesday November 16 7:56 AM ET

One person was stabbed and several were involved in a chaotic fight that broke out at the second annual Vibe awards as rapper Snoop Dogg and producer Quincy Jones were preparing to honor Dr. Dre with a lifetime achievement award.

Dozens of people sitting near the stage Monday inside a hangar at the Santa Monica Municipal Airport began shoving each other as the show wound down about 7:30 p.m., a photographer who covered the event for The Associated Press said.

News video showed chairs thrown, punches flying, people chasing each another and some being restrained.

"To my understanding ... the show was going on when the stabbing occurred," said police Lt. Frank Fabrega in a news conference after the fight.

It was unclear if the stabbing preceded or followed the fight. The victim, a 26-year-old man, was taken to a hospital and was listed in stable condition.

Police were looking for the assailant and no arrests have been made.

Witness Frank Williams told KCAL-TV that Dr. Dre was involved in the brawl.

"I saw Dr. Dre fighting somebody," Williams said. "I don't know if he was fighting back. But there was a guy taken out basically bloodied."

Andrea Ferguson, employed by a public relations firm that worked with Vibe for the awards ceremony, called the incident a "disruption" but declined to provide details. She added the show was allowed to continue but it was halted for about five minutes.

Dr. Dre, who was scheduled to receive a Vibe Legend Award for his lifetime contributions to hip-hop, had not come on stage yet when the fight erupted. Jones and Snoop Dogg stood on stage without saying anything.

About 1,000 people attended the event, some of whom scurried for the exits when the fight broke out.

"It's really important that we don't take a negative incident like this and do away with the awards," Suge Knight told reporters.

The show was taped Monday and was expected to be broadcast Tuesday. R&B singer Usher led the awards with five nominations, followed by Alicia Keys, who has four nominations.

Vibe magazine focuses on urban culture and entertainment. The awards are voted on by music journalists and "regional tastemakers."
Old 11-16-04, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Violence breaks out at the Vibe awards?

I'm shocked...
Old 11-16-04, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ain't nothin' but a G thang...
Old 11-16-04, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dr. Dre is an asshole.
Old 11-16-04, 11:16 AM

Didn't this happen last year as well? Or was that the Source Awards?

Old 11-16-04, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe it was Dee Barnes finally getting back at Dre for whippin' her ass over a decade ago.
Old 11-16-04, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Probably just a tribute to the late O.D.B. No big deal.
Old 11-16-04, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Why don't they just end the Vibe Show.
Old 11-16-04, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by j123vt_99
[url].

"It's really important that we don't take a negative incident like this and do away with the awards," Suge Knight told reporters.

Suge Knight trying to be the calm, voice of reason.
Old 11-16-04, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Who let Suge in the building in the first place? It's not like he's done anything for the music industry, hiphop or otherwise, since All Eyez On Me. It seems as though he goes to awards shows for the express purpose of starting trouble with his former Death Row artists. You would think that these shows would just ban him, at least until he comes to the table with some actual music.
Old 11-16-04, 06:18 PM

Guess the story is that some unsigned rapper was in the audience behind Dre trying to pass him a tape and for some reason started punching him. It's great footage. You can see a cop standing about 10 feet back just dousing the brawlers with pepper spray.
Old 11-16-04, 06:20 PM

Suge Knight is for the children.
Old 11-16-04, 06:30 PM

These are the same kind of people that say the reason they commit crimes and get into trouble are because they are poor and oppressed, whats the excuse after they have a ton of money and are famous?
Old 11-16-04, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Andersen Cooper on CNN just said it was Young Buck who stabbed the guy who punched Dre.
Old 11-17-04, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah, I heard it was Young Buck as well.
Old 11-17-04, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by SeekOnce
Didn't this happen last year as well? Or was that the Source Awards?

That was the 2000 Source Awards I believe...
Old 11-17-04, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Young Buck is going to be saying "Shorty Wanna Ride" from his prison cell.
Old 11-17-04, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- The rapper Young Buck was being sought by police Tuesday for allegedly stabbing a man who punched hip-hop legend Dr. Dre at the Vibe awards.

Buck, who is signed to Dr. Dre's record label, fled the Santa Monica airport hangar where the awards were taped Monday night, police Lt. Frank Fabrega said in a statement. Police said a warrant was being prepared alleging assault with a deadly weapon.

The incident was sparked as Snoop Dogg and Vibe founder Quincy Jones were preparing to honor Dre with a lifetime achievement award. A man later identified as Jimmy James Johnson approached Dre, who was seated at a table in front of the stage, and appeared to ask for an autograph before punching the veteran hitmaker.

People began shoving, chairs were thrown, punches flew and people were chased. Some in the audience of about 1,000 scurried for the exits -- including Alicia Keys, who was waiting to be honored as Vibe's artist of the year.

Johnson was dragged away by security staff, but then suffered a serious stab wound when he was attacked by a number of people, including Buck, whose real name is David Darnell Brown, according to police.

"Brown is clearly depicted [on videotape] as holding a knife after the assault and is one of a number of fight participants that was pepper-sprayed by officers in their attempt to stop this fight," Police Chief James Butts told a news conference. "We're asking Mr. David Darnell Brown to surrender himself to police."

Johnson, 26, was in stable condition at a hospital.

"It is unfortunate that an event so many people worked very hard to create has been tainted by the actions of a few individuals," Kenard Gibbs, president of Vibe, said in a statement.

Buck, a native of Nashville, Tennessee, is a member of superstar 50 Cent's G-Unit group. Buck released his debut solo album, "Straight Outta Ca$hville," in August.

For those who listen to Buck and G-Unit's hardcore rhymes, it's no surprise that Buck would spring to the defense of his godfather Dre, one of the architects of so-called gangsta rap. And performers aren't typically searched when they enter an awards show.

After the fracas was squelched, the taping continued. The show, broadcast Tuesday night on UPN, was seamlessly edited to remove any trace of the attack.

"They can't stop me. I don't care," Dre said on television as he accepted his award, showing no signs of injury.

Preparing to give Dre his award, Vibe founder Quincy Jones thanked the people who made the 10-year-old magazine a success.

"Each and every one of you in this audience," he said, "I thank you from the bottom of my heart."

It was unclear whether his remarks came before or after the stabbing.
Old 11-17-04, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by gmal2003
Suge Knight trying to be the calm, voice of reason.
I thought that was ironic too. First the problem at the Source awards and now this. Maybe they should just not have an audience.
Old 11-17-04, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

stupid Young Buck, nice going, now we'll probably never get a followup to Straight Outta Cashville.

use your fists and not a knife darn it
Old 11-18-04, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Frank TJ Mackey
stupid Young Buck, nice going, now we'll probably never get a followup to Straight Outta Cashville.

use your fists and not a knife darn it
Word! I actually think hes the best outta G-Unit.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.