DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   What? No American Music Awards appreciation thread?!?! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/395903-what-no-american-music-awards-appreciation-thread.html)

Rogue588 11-15-04 12:46 AM

What? No American Music Awards appreciation thread?!?!

Jeez... -ohbfrank-

I don't think i'm going out on a limb by saying it was pretty terrible.

The GOOD news, however, is that Usher SWEPT!!!!!!11111!!!! Hez SO KEWL!!!!11

Tscott 11-15-04 01:46 AM

Re: What? No American Music Awards appreciation thread?!?!

Originally posted by Rogue588
The GOOD news, however, is that Usher SWEPT!!!!!!11111!!!! Hez SO KEWL!!!!11
I hope by swept you mean they gave him a broom after the show and told him to pick up everybody's mess.

Anyway, didn't watch. With awards to Usher, Kenny Chesney and Sheryl Crow it's clear my idea of great music doesn't gel with this award show (nor any other actually).

Still I found this part of an AP article about the awards show offered me hope regarding the taste of today's music listeners...

Ringo Starr, on tape, introduced a video clip of The Beatles that hadn't been aired in 40 years. After the performance of "She Loves You" and "I Want to Hold Your Hand," Kimmel fell flat with a tongue-in-cheek declaration: "Boring." Many in the audience booed the joke.

atlantamoi 11-15-04 06:45 AM

I was thinking of Tivo'ing it so that I could fast forward through most of the show, then I saw a lineup of who was appearing.
Nada. Not one single artist I cared to see. Why waste the time?

Giantrobo 11-15-04 07:13 AM

Who was that black dude who was pissed he didn't get best new artist? :lol::up:

Anna Nicole Smith.. :lol:

MJKTool 11-15-04 12:32 PM

What kind of drugs was Anna Nicole Smith on last night? Is she ever not loaded? Holy smokes.

The Infidel 11-15-04 01:00 PM

I don't even know why they have award shows anymore. They're just popularity contests that stopped being about talent a loooong time ago.

BTW...Usher licks balls.

Kal-El 11-15-04 01:08 PM

Probably because there really isn't much of "American Music" (if you can even call it that) to award or appreciate?

bigt7117 11-15-04 01:47 PM

Kanye West was the dude.

Michael Corvin 11-15-04 02:12 PM

Re: Re: What? No American Music Awards appreciation thread?!?!

Originally posted by Tscott

Anyway, didn't watch. With awards to Usher, Kenny Chesney and Sheryl Crow it's clear my idea of great music doesn't gel with this award show (nor any other actually).

At least Kenny & Sheryl play MUSIC. Not just sing or dance to a pre-recorded CD.

candyrocket786 11-15-04 02:27 PM

I was pissed that Hugh Mcdonald (Bon Jovi) did not receive an award with the rest of the group. The guy has been with the band 10 years. He's left out of photo shoots, interviews, etc. What a bunch of crap. The guy is good enough to play in the group, but not good enough to get an award. :mad:

Captain Harlock 11-15-04 02:56 PM

I just kept thinking to myself that this was just a big, two hour infomerical for the record industry. My god it was painful to watch.

About that footage of the Beatles. I suffered through the rest of that show to see it and when they did I said "this is the lost footage??". That footage was NOT "lost". How do I know? Because I've had it in my VHS library for the last 10 years. That footage comes from a 1964 episode of the British show "Read, Steady, Go!" that featured only the Beatles that half hour. The VHS tape was title "The Beatles LIVE!" and is was distributed by Dave Clark's (of the Dave Clark Five) company. The tape was first offered through television ads.

candyrocket786 11-15-04 03:02 PM

Originally posted by Captain Harlock
I just kept thinking to myself that this was just a big, two hour infomerical for the record industry. My god it was painful to watch.

Are you mad!!!!! This event showcased the *BEST* in Today's American Music!!!!! ;)

Daryl 11-15-04 03:04 PM

I'm not sure what was worse: the appearances by ABC TV stars that have nothing to do with the music industry (except Eva Longoria :drool: ) or the fake piped-in crowd noise that was 50 times louder than the rest of the broadcast

Rogue588 11-15-04 03:10 PM

Originally posted by bigt7117
Kanye West was the dude.
Yeah, the only thing missing from that groundbreaking performance was Richard Simmons..

Originally posted by candyrocket786
I was pissed that Hugh Mcdonald (Bon Jovi) did not receive an award with the rest of the group. The guy has been with the band 10 years. He's left out of photo shoots, interviews, etc. What a bunch of crap. The guy is good enough to play in the group, but not good enough to get an award. :mad:
I'm thinking it's cuz he has no hair..

Bad enough Jon's ego didn't allow anyone else to get a word in during the acceptance speech..

And i'm sorry, I like Alicia Keys...and she can get something "standing" for me, but neither of those performances warranted a standing ovation...

dick_grayson 11-15-04 03:12 PM

highlight of the evening:

http://mr-20260.mr.valuehost.co.uk/gallery/japan/d7.jpg

Tscott 11-15-04 03:48 PM

Re: Re: Re: What? No American Music Awards appreciation thread?!?!

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
At least Kenny & Sheryl play MUSIC. Not just sing or dance to a pre-recorded CD.
True. I enjoyed Sheryl's first few albums to a degree, but C'mon, C'mon was a disappointment and even at her best she isn't the best out there, IMO. As for Kenny, there are only a very few male country singers I can stand, and he's definitely not one of those few.

Mondo Kane 11-15-04 03:57 PM

Originally posted by Rogue588

And i'm sorry, I like Alicia Keys...and she can get something "standing" for me, but neither of those performances warranted a standing ovation...

I like A-Keys too, but I see that she still got a problem with the acne. :o

johnbook 11-16-04 12:36 PM

Since it won't let me quote it, who are the young guitar players in that picture in the thread about two up???

Rypro 525 11-16-04 03:32 PM

is the person on the left a dude or a chick?

dick_grayson 11-16-04 03:34 PM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
it's a dude and it's not from the AMA's. It's Alexi Laiho from Children of Bodom whose show I was at Sunday night. I thought the picture was pretty excellent.

Michael Corvin 11-16-04 03:51 PM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
Nelson Rocks!

NitroJMS 11-17-04 10:30 AM

Why do people even bother with the AMAs anymore? They are based on sales, not actual quality or critical understanding.

If only we could go back to the days of just having the big four award shows (Oscars, Emmys, Grammys, Tonys) and maybe the Globes again.

The Infidel 11-17-04 10:51 PM

Originally posted by candyrocket786
He should start a club with the drummer from R.E.M.