DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Anyone heard the new Gwen Stefani solo song? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/391592-anyone-heard-new-gwen-stefani-solo-song.html)

The World is Square 10-19-04 09:50 PM

Anyone heard the new Gwen Stefani solo song?

"What you're waiting for." I know it's completely dance-pop, but I'm so fuckin addicted to the song. I hope her album isn't necessarily more of this, but that it is something fresh, new, and of course good. Any thoughts on this song?

DVD Josh 10-19-04 11:16 PM

I think it's a piece of garbage. I could only take about 30 seconds of it before I turned it off. Horrendous.

The World is Square 10-19-04 11:40 PM

Damn you. Like "Toxic?"

Brent L 10-20-04 12:58 AM

I just watched the video on AOL, and ugh. I'll never go out of my way to listen to that one again, it's just not my music.

The woman has the potential to really do something amazing, but amazing this ain't.

The World is Square 10-20-04 02:30 AM

I guess I'm retarded. Someone please support me. I really don't like bad music... I like good music... and bad music. Radiohead, Elliott Smith, Pink Floyd, Strokes, and the occasional radio hit of Britney Spears, etc. I'm pretty inconsistent, but can anyone not agree that this song is catchy?

GatorDeb 10-20-04 10:48 AM

I'm usually extremely easy to please music-wise, and even I couldn't make it past 20 seconds.

Hollowgen 10-20-04 11:09 AM

hasn't all of the recent no doubt been stefani solo? or maybe her ego makes it seem that way.

SeekOnce 10-20-04 11:55 AM

I'm with the opinion that Stefani and her No Doubt cohorts should've stopped making music a couple albums ago.

I didn't think it possible after "Rock Steady" but she has outdone herself in terms of suckage with this song.

Sorry.

LiquidSky 10-20-04 12:53 PM

Originally posted by Hollowgen
hasn't all of the recent no doubt been stefani solo? or maybe her ego makes it seem that way.
Agreed.

TheMadMonk 10-20-04 12:58 PM

I've seen the video. Very colorful and odd. The song alone does not impress me, though.

Toad 10-20-04 01:26 PM

I liked the video; I don't mind the song.

candyrocket786 10-20-04 01:41 PM

The song started out nice....then it shifted into "Techno/Dance".

What's with the "stupid hoe" line....I just don't get it.

darqleo 10-20-04 11:15 PM

Kind of late in the game to be hopping aboard the "electroclash" movement.
;)

iggystar 10-21-04 07:22 AM

I'm a music slut, I like everything, but I don't care for this song one bit.

Optimus Crime 10-23-04 06:48 AM

I'm an 80's nerd and love just about everything about the 80's except hair metal. This has a very 80's feel to it. It's great. Her album isn't going to be all like this though. I don't agree with the dude who said No Doubt should of stopping making albums. Granted Rock Steady isn't as quality as Return of Saturn or even Tragic Kingdom, it does have some great songs on it.

movieking 10-23-04 07:26 AM

We had this at our wedding a couple of weeks ago. People asked me who it was. When I told them, they tended to reply that they did not like it as much as her No Doubt stuff. I have heard it probably 10 or 20 times, and I can't tell you what it sounds like or what the lyrics are now, so that is not a good thing.

auto 10-23-04 12:15 PM

Damn, I was kinda looking forward to this.

DVD Josh 10-23-04 07:06 PM

To me, Return of Saturn was the perfect mix of electronica and rock music. Excellent album.

BillSD 10-23-04 08:46 PM

Just heard it today, was kind of fun ...

scarredgod 10-23-04 10:13 PM

the song is very bad but the video gives her little fanboys what they want. i never liked No Doubt but they did at least have some catchy songs on Tragic Kingdom. since then its all seemed like a Gwen vehicle with her white girl hip hop wanna be songs and the rest of the band just trying to sneak into the scene. i guess shes solo so she doesnt have to share her money with the guys no one cares about.

Elpresidentepez 10-25-04 08:45 AM

I like it, and i like the stupid ho line. It seems like a natural step for Gwen, although i hope the album has more of a variety like Rock Steady.

P.S. aside from a collaberation with Eve, there's nothing hip hop about No Doubt...I say this and i like Hip Hop.

CrashNBurn69 10-25-04 10:10 AM

doesnt she still need a band when she does her solo stuff? why not just make another no doubt album? whats the difference

Slowpc 10-25-04 11:03 AM

Yea , the track is not that bad, but could have been a bit more "rocky" but whatever. Will need to check out some of the other tracks and see what i think.

Jerri Blank's Boy 10-25-04 08:00 PM

Originally posted by CrashNBurn69
doesnt she still need a band when she does her solo stuff? why not just make another no doubt album? whats the difference
I think the differences are the producers and artists she works with on her own, as opposed to working mainly with her No Doubt bandmates.

johnbook 10-26-04 01:20 AM

Originally posted by Optimus Crime
I'm an 80's nerd and love just about everything about the 80's except hair metal. This has a very 80's feel to it. It's great. Her album isn't going to be all like this though. I don't agree with the dude who said No Doubt should of stopping making albums. Granted Rock Steady isn't as quality as Return of Saturn or even Tragic Kingdom, it does have some great songs on it.
From one 80's nerd to myself i love the 80's myself but i love hair metal, it's my favorite style of music, but anyway yes it does have an 80's feel to it so i like that, but i think Rock Steady was definately No Doubts best album with Tragic Kingdom a close second, personaly i didn't care for Return Of Saturn except for a couple songs "Simple kind of life" and "Ex - Girlfriend" so the greatest hits cd worked out perfect for me along with the other two cd's i mentioned.