Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Me First and the Gimme Gimmes - Ruin Jonny's Bar Mitzvah is out now.

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-04, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Recorded live at a bar mitzvah this time last year.

1. Jonny's Blessing
  2. Stairway To Heaven
  3. Heart Of Glass
  4. Delta Dawn
  5. Come Sail Away
  6. O Sole Mio
  7. Strawberry Fields Forever
  8. Auld Lang Syne
  9. The Longest Time (mp3)
  10. On My Mind
  11. Take It On The Run
  12. Superstar
  13. Hava Nagila
  14. Hava Nagila (Christmas Arrangement)

There are also two hidden tracks, drunken takes of "Seasons in the Sun" and "Sloop John B". It's also an enhanced CD, with seven minutes of live video. I guess they didn't want to pay synch rights, so the footage covers "O Sole Mio", "Auld Lang Syne", and the two versions of "Hava Nagila".

I was mildly disappointed with it, personally. The selection of songs is decent, but there's a little too much filler. Is "Auld Lang Syne" a traditional bar mitzvah song? I'm not sure if the band was just trying to cut down on licensing costs and popping a couple public domain songs in there or what. A couple songs seem like they were cut too short, and the performances are pretty sloppy at times, even for a drunk punk band. I really like half of their covers -- "Stairway to Heaven", "Heart of Glass", an aborted take on "Delta Dawn", "The Longest Time", "Take It On the Run") -- but the other songs are less interesting in general, and the arrangements seem comparatively bland and uninspired. The second version of "Hava Nagila" is pretty funny, but I think it would've been better appreciated on an album with more tracks. It's still worth a listen, but I'd be surprised if it winds up in the same heavy rotation their other albums have (I've listened to "Take a Break" at least once a week, usually more, since it came out.)

The Gimmes' albums seemed to be getting exponentially better with each release, but "Live at Jonny's Bar Mitzvah" is probably their most uneven album to date. I still like it, but I'm not as enthusiastic about it as I thought I'd be. Maybe I'll have a more positive opinion after a couple more listens...
Old 10-19-04, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've liked all of MFATGGs stuff so far, so I will have to check this out. I haven't seen it around yet - when was it released?
Old 10-19-04, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Today.
Old 10-19-04, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I have three (all?) of their discs and like them. I always wish they'd put a few more songs on them. I think I listed to the three in one hour's time.
Old 10-20-04, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally posted by Buford T Pusser
I have three (all?) of their discs and like them.
There are five now -- "Have a Ball", "Are a Drag", "Blow in the Wind", "Take a Break", and "Ruin Jonny's Bar Mitzvah".
Old 10-20-04, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks like I have the first three and didn't know about "Take A Break".
Old 10-20-04, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got the new one today. Some pretty good stuff. I've always been a big fan of The Gimmes and this album is a pretty good representation of their live performance. The liner notes are pretty funny too.
Old 10-21-04, 05:29 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll give it a shot since I really like their past stuff, but the song list isn't my favorite. Especially considering it contains IMO the worst song in history (Auld Lang Syne).