Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Mos Def - The New Danger 10-12-04

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-04, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been waiting 5 long years for this one. I hope the wait is worth it. Damn-fine actor as well.
Old 10-06-04, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I can't wait either - he's the best mc out there.
Old 10-06-04, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Excellent. I was beginning to think that he gave it up to focus on acting.
Old 10-06-04, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Despite him being a very good actor IMHO, his track on Kanye West's album has me looking forward to this one.
Old 10-06-04, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I'll be getting this one, as well. The wait's been too long. I wonder if he'll ever release his Black Jack Johnson project.

Just a heads-up: If you order from HipHopSite.com, you get "The Dangerous Mix" mix CD (with "b-sides, remixes, and lost tracks"), as well as a poster.
Old 10-06-04, 11:31 PM

5 years here, too... and I can't believe I found out it was coming out A WEEK before the drop date! I used to be waiting a year for hip hop albums... guess the dearth of good hip hop led me to other genres, but I can't wait.

EDIT: Anyone know if that deal (w/ the mix cd & poster) comes whether you order the CD or the vinyl? and, does HipHopSite ship to canada? Their 'Help' section doesnt really say...

Last edited by thismeansyou; 10-06-04 at 11:35 PM.
Old 10-06-04, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by thismeansyou85

EDIT: Anyone know if that deal (w/ the mix cd & poster) comes whether you order the CD or the vinyl? and, does HipHopSite ship to canada? Their 'Help' section doesnt really say...
I've ordered through them many many times over the years (seems like yesterday I bought the Slim Shady EP cassette) and they are a class act, not to mention that they usually have some great exclusive bonuses (mix/instrumental/rarities CDs, t-shirts, autographed items, etc.).

That being said, I don't have any answers to your questions. It'd probably be best to call them or send them an e-mail: [email protected].
Old 10-07-04, 12:30 AM

Thanks for the help and the heads up DJLinus. I decided to just try signing up and turns out they do ship to Canada since it recognized my address (and had an option for 'country'). And only $4 shipping on a 2LP set and bonus CD+poster to Canada?!?! I've paid way more shipping on a single DVD, and I'd pay just as much in taxes up here. I went with the vinyl since a $15US vinyl is a great deal - the set would have been at LEAST 27 dollars in canada. I'll pick up the CD on tuesday here...

In case anyone was interested, you can listen to the whole album here. I'm holding off til tuesday so I don't have to listen to it all compressed.
Old 10-08-04, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for reminding me about the hiphopsite deal. Can't wait to hear this proper like.
Old 10-08-04, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by DJLinus
...and they are a class act, not to mention that they usually have some great exclusive bonuses (mix/instrumental/rarities CDs, t-shirts, autographed items, etc.).

Agreed, however they tend to run a little expensive. The extras definitely make up for the higher prices though.
Old 10-08-04, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Bout damn_time. I can't wait.
Old 10-09-04, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I listened to it, and half of it is not even rap. It's singing and crap. So there's a lot of fast forward material here, some of which should have been left for a Black Jack Johnson album.

I think Mos really missed the boat here trying to be an arthouse puppet.

Anyway, I guess if you like him that much, half of the album is for you then.

All I'm saying is that there's about 40 minutes of music worth keeping here (out of 75 or so).

So just check this one out before a purchase, not saying it's bad just a little frustrating.

Last edited by Frank TJ Mackey; 10-10-04 at 01:43 AM.
Old 10-10-04, 12:20 PM

Thanks Frank.
Old 10-10-04, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Frank TJ Mackey
I listened to it, and half of it is not even rap. It's singing and crap. So there's a lot of fast forward material here, some of which should have been left for a Black Jack Johnson album.
That's disappointing, but are the non-hip-hop tracks any good? Say, if you listened to this without knowing Mos Def, the fact that he's an MC and had no expectations, are those songs decent then?

Also, are none of the big retailers discounting the CD this week? I was surprised to see that it wasn't mentioned in any of the Sunday inserts (Target, Best Buy, Circuit City). I figured he may have gotten a $9.99 first week price like Talib Kweli.
Old 10-10-04, 04:21 PM
Banned

Ok so I listened to the whole album and this is obviously not a Mos Def album. This is the Black Jack Johnson album in disguise. And you know what? It sucks. It's not seeing George Clinton, Sly Stone, Bootsy, Prince, or even the Rolling Stones (who, if you'll recall, Mos Def dissed on "Rock and Roll"). It's some lame attempt to rock and still rap at the same time (a la Limp Bizkit, who Mos Def also dissed on "Rock and Roll"). The rapping is nowhere near what he's capable of. The singing and adlibbing and all that other stuff is nowhere near what Mos Def is capable of. This is pretty much garbage imo.
Old 10-10-04, 04:22 PM
Banned

FYI everyone go pick up De La Souls new album the Grind Date, thats one of the best albums i heard this year.
Old 10-10-04, 04:37 PM

That's disappointing, but are the non-hip-hop tracks any good? Say, if you listened to this without knowing Mos Def, the fact that he's an MC and had no expectations, are those songs decent then?

Also, are none of the big retailers discounting the CD this week? I was surprised to see that it wasn't mentioned in any of the Sunday inserts (Target, Best Buy, Circuit City). I figured he may have gotten a $9.99 first week price like Talib Kweli.

It's $10.99 at the CC website.
Old 10-11-04, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes, actually they are good, I just think he did way too much of it. It's a very eclectic album, kind of like The Roots meets Lauryn Hill or something. Throw in a little Fishbone because some of the rap tunes are set against rock music.
Old 10-12-04, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by thismeansyou85

5 years here, too... and I can't believe I found out it was coming out A WEEK before the drop date! I used to be waiting a year for hip hop albums... guess the dearth of good hip hop led me to other genres, but I can't wait.

It's sad I'm so out of the loop I just found out it was coming out tomorrow. I knew it was coming out this month, just not what day. I am ordering it off hiphopsite for the extra mixtape. Mos Def is my favorite mc, can't wait to hear the album.
Old 10-12-04, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Anyone have a track listing for the bonus disc? I'm trying to decide whether or not to order another (yes, I bought it at my friend's music store today) copy to get that bonus cd...

And sandboxautomatic.com has it with the free mix for $2 less. I've ordered stuff from them before, and they're solid too...

Last edited by lordzeppelin; 10-12-04 at 10:26 PM.
Old 10-12-04, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by lordzeppelin
Anyone have a track listing for the bonus disc? I'm trying to decide whether or not to order another (yes, I bought it at my friend's music store today) copy to get that bonus cd...

And sandboxautomatic.com has it with the free mix for $2 less. I've ordered stuff from them before, and they're solid too...
Sandbox is pretty good, too, but the way I read it, that's a different mix CD. They are offering the "Rawkus Mixtape Album," which sounds to me like a sampler of Rawkus artists. HipHopSite.com's is the "Dangerous Mix" and they explicitly say it is all Mos Def.

I have no idea of the tracklisting of either CD. Fire off an e-mail to both stores and see what they say.
Old 10-14-04, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

that new de la soul is really hot
Old 10-14-04, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

$9.99 at Best Buy.

At first listen I wasn't very impressed.