Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What's been the worst sample/remixing in a song?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-04, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Listenoing to some older techno the other day, I was amazed by the atrociousness of what seemed to be a remix of INXS' "Never Tear Us APart". It was Tall Paul's track, "Precious Heart", which uses about half the INXS song's lyrics. It sounds BAD.

Then you have the remixes; I still shudder at Puff Daddy's redux of the Police's "Roxanne". Using "Roxanne Roxanne"? Pras? Ugh.

Of course, there's always "Ice Ice Baby"... but hey, that one's fun!
Old 10-04-04, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: What's been the worst sample/remixing in a song?

I predict the popular answer will be the Biggie tribute song that lifted pretty much all of the Police's "Every Breath You Take." I've always given Puffy more credit than most everyone else because he is (or was, rather) really effective at what he produces - radio singles and club bangers. But a creative sampler, he is not.

Originally posted by DonnachaOne

Of course, there's always "Ice Ice Baby"... but hey, that one's fun!
Whoa - they're two different songs!

Queen's goes "dum dum dum de de dum dum" while Ice's goes "dum dum dum de de dum dum ching." Different as night and day.
Old 10-04-04, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Re: What's been the worst sample/remixing in a song?

Originally posted by DJLinus

Whoa - they're two different songs!

Queen's goes "dum dum dum de de dum dum" while Ice's goes "dum dum dum de de dum dum ching." Different as night and day.
"there's goes, ours goes, its that itty bitty ching, you see, its not the same! "
Old 10-04-04, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That Eminem song with with chorus from Dream On. That one makes me want to kill someone.
Old 10-04-04, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
ES, I only heard that one once, and that was plenty for me.

Ice Cube - I Got Game
Puff Daddy - Come with me
Old 10-04-04, 09:25 PM

This is a field with many, many valid answers one could think of, but I'll have to go with Brian Wilson sampling... well, himself as the worst one I've heard.

While it's not exactly something you can go to the store and buy, he had a solo album that was rejected by his label (which isn't suprising once heard). It got released as a bootleg under the title of "Sweet Insanity." Not sure if that was the official title or just an apt one picked by someone else.

Anyways, there's a track on there called either "Smart Girls" or maybe "Dumb Girls" which is about how he spent his Beach Boys days singing about pretty, shallow, giggly girls, and now he's seen the light and wants to sing about smart, nerdy girls. When he's rapping* about "dumb girls" there's a sample of "Help Me Rhonda" (I think) which is completely tacked on and badly integrated into the song. Sampling yourself is never really a good thing, and doing it in such a surreal, horrible way just makes it worse.

*Yeah, it's a rap song. A Brian Wilson rap song. The real highlight is the part where he goes "Big brains are AWESOMMMMMEE." Any internet savvy folks should try looking it up and listening to it for kicks. Be warned though; I've always had a hard time taking Brian Wilson serious after hearing this "song." It's kind of like seeing Jesus Christ beat up a little kid; sure, it wouldn't dismiss all the good he's done, but it's still a rather awkward sight.
Old 10-04-04, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i just heard one today that was disgracefull to say the least.
Lil jon, twista, and ludacris i think sampling crazy train from ozzy.
Old 10-05-04, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
One of the most painful has got to be that Jay-Z song with the fucking ANNIE sample!!! There's nothing more hardcore than being backed by a chorus of little white children on Broadway. Originally I thought it was some kind of put-on, but then I saw the guy in an interview & he just didn't seem like the ironic sort. I remember teens at the time slowly cruising around, thinking they were cool, bass up, blasting this song loud enough for a 5 block radius. I didn't know if I should fall down laughing or run over & kill them. Did they even know what they were listening to?
Old 10-05-04, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Does the 1996 slaughtering of Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody by some hip-hop fucks called The Braids count?

If so, consider my vote cast.

Last edited by The_Infidel; 10-05-04 at 10:27 PM.
Old 10-05-04, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Lokimok
One of the most painful has got to be that Jay-Z song with the fucking ANNIE sample!!! There's nothing more hardcore than being backed by a chorus of little white children on Broadway. Originally I thought it was some kind of put-on, but then I saw the guy in an interview & he just didn't seem like the ironic sort. I remember teens at the time slowly cruising around, thinking they were cool, bass up, blasting this song loud enough for a 5 block radius. I didn't know if I should fall down laughing or run over & kill them. Did they even know what they were listening to?
lol. I'm on the same page as you. Just goes to show you that the music industry will shovel anything and the sheep will buy it.
Old 10-06-04, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The lamest one in my opinion is Third Bass's "Pop Goes the Weasel" which samples "Sledgehammer." The problem is "Pop" is a diss song against Vanilla Ice and "Ice Ice Baby" where they say "You stole sombody's record and you looped it, you looped it..." referring to the loop sample of "Under Pressure." However at the same time they're sampling a much more famous, more recent, and more overplayed song than Vanilla Ice did (remember, Queen was pretty out of the limelight in the US at the time) and in a much less effective way. Vanilla Ice is a fool (and stealing the sample was sheisty, altho it was standard operating procedure at the time) but the use of "Under Pressure" in that song is pretty tight. The sample of the "Sledghammer" keyboard run in "Pop Goes the Weasel" is absolutely terrible. To me, it just made them look petty and stupid.
Old 10-06-04, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh, and on Puff Daddy's uncreative sampling, the amazing thing is that he often uses really obvious samples, but he's not even the first RAPPER to SAMPLE them:

"Come With Me" samples "Kashmir" but Schooly D did that years before on "The Signifying Rapper" (familiar to "Bad Lieutenant fans

"Can't Nobody Hold Me Down" (you probably don't remember the title and I had to look it up but it was huge) samples Grandmaster Flash's "The Message" but Ice Cube had already done that on the far superior "Check Yo Self"

Just so lame.
Old 10-06-04, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
I don't remember who it was, but there was one video I saw on Rap City years ago that had the beginning of Jackson Five's "I want you back" playing over and over in a loop.
Just sounded terrible.
Old 10-07-04, 04:34 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Puff Daddy doing that fuckin song with the Led Zeppelin "Kashmir" sample for fuckin Godzilla.
Old 10-07-04, 10:02 AM

It's not a terrible remix, but every time I listen to 2Pac's "All Eyes On Me" album, I get frustrated by the version of "California Love" on there. The original was a huge hit, and there was no excuse to leave it off of such a legendary album.

Does anyone remember "My Melody" by Eric B & Rakim from the "Paid in Full" album? Awesome lyrics and beat, but the remix on there is a hacked up version of the original. It can be unlistenable at times.

The one I really hate is the "Push It" remix, by Salt & Pepa. Someone (Hurby Luv Bug?) had the bright idea to add some weird horn sounds to the original and managed to screw it up. The original & superior version is about impossible to hear, except for some old-school radio mix shows.

Last edited by RTorres481; 10-07-04 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-07-04, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally posted by RTorres481
It's not a terrible remix, but every time I listed to 2Pac's "All Eyes On Me" album, I get frustrated by the version of "California Love" on there. The original was a huge hit, and there was no excuse to leave it off of such a legendary album.
Didn't both versions appear on the double-disc?
Old 10-07-04, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Funny how basically every song mentioned is a rap, I mean hip-hop, song. That says alot.
Old 10-07-04, 01:44 PM

The original "California Love" is on the 2Pac greatest hits double-cd. But only the remix version appears on "All Eyez On Me."
Old 10-07-04, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by cdollaz
Funny how basically every song mentioned is a rap, I mean hip-hop, song. That says alot.
I kinda figured that coming into the thread in the first place. But not all were. Brian Wilson was mentioned above. But it was a rap song....
Old 02-25-05, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

the new song by ludacris that samples the austin powers theme song gets really annoying after a while, so i think that is stuping really low.
Old 02-25-05, 11:04 PM

I love Nas, but "I Can" is the worst sampling I've ever heard in my life.
Old 02-26-05, 02:44 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
I don't remember who it was, but there was one video I saw on Rap City years ago that had the beginning of Jackson Five's "I want you back" playing over and over in a loop.
Just sounded terrible.
Well, I'd actually rather hear that than the flipside... Puff Daddy's beyond awful remix/remake of the song. He takes the original, strips out ALL the music, replaces it with the most generic hip hop music and beats possible, and throws in a bunch of bad rapping. I found this strange because he spends so much time stripmining popular songs of their best hooks for his own songs, and yet in this case he abandons one of the best hooks in music ever IMO for this 'remix'. This version actually appears on the Motown 40 Forever box set instead of the original!
Old 02-26-05, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mondo Kane,

could you perhaps be referring to this song (Just the first 30 seconds)

Different sample of same song here

I actually liked that song. I have the CD somewhere.

Last edited by JP5683; 02-26-05 at 04:38 AM.
Old 02-26-05, 08:10 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally Posted by Rivero
Puff Daddy doing that fuckin song with the Led Zeppelin "Kashmir" sample for fuckin Godzilla.
I'll second the vote for this utter P.O.S. "piss on a classic" f-up...
Old 02-26-05, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
I'll further the above comment by saying piss on any fuck or "band" of fucks who don't have the talent to come up with original material, and cash in on someone else's established fame. Especially that Puffy character...the most useless, talentless waste of flesh to ever intrude on the music world. Go design some clothes and leave the entertainment to people who can actually accomplish the feat with the respect they deserve.

This one's for you, Sean Combs......

Last edited by The_Infidel; 02-26-05 at 01:00 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.