DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   allofmp3.com? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/388396-allofmp3-com.html)

shaun3000 09-30-04 06:11 PM

allofmp3.com?

Is this site legal/legit? It's Russian but very well done. I found some songs elsewhere *ahem* that had this in the comments of the ID3 tag. Instead of paying by the song, you pay by the meg. $0.02/megabyte.

100 megs of music for $2, alot better than iTunes!

Edited reflect current price. A whopping TWO CENTS. -eek-

ColdBlue 09-30-04 07:13 PM

I deposited $10 a few months ago. It's pretty good as far as I'm concerned. They're always adding artists and the online encoding options are great. All-in-all pretty solid.

shaun3000 09-30-04 07:16 PM

Cool, can't believe I've never heard of it, before. And NO DRM! According to their site info page they are licenses under a Russian law that allows digital distribution of music.

shaun3000 09-30-04 09:20 PM

OK, this site is awesome. They have way more than iTunes or any of the others. You can select the quality and format of your songs and it's encoded right then. They even offer Lame --alt-preset standard!! And on alotof the songs, you can even download in a lossless version, although it costs 2x more per meg.

And unlike iTunes, et al, yuo can listen to the ENTIRE ALBUM before you downoad it, abeit a mono, 24kbps mp3 file.

Dvdsky 09-30-04 11:23 PM

I was looking at that site a little while back, and was under the impression that it wasn't entirely legal. At least, there's a disclaimer somewhere that says that you may not be allowed to buy songs from them depending on your local laws.

So it's not really much different than downloading from P2P networks, IMHO, except that you're paying them for it.

Mr. Salty 10-01-04 12:02 AM

The Screensavers on TechTV has done stories about this site, and it is legal in Russia and the music is licensed. Whether it's legal here or not is a gray area.

Shay 10-01-04 12:31 PM

I find it interesting that no one will say whether it is legal in the US or not especially the RIAA. You would think they would screaming it's illegal if it is in fact illegal , or lobbying to get it outlawed.

ColdBlue 10-01-04 04:19 PM

Originally posted by Dvdsky
I was looking at that site a little while back, and was under the impression that it wasn't entirely legal. At least, there's a disclaimer somewhere that says that you may not be allowed to buy songs from them depending on your local laws.

So it's not really much different than downloading from P2P networks, IMHO, except that you're paying them for it.

From a legal standpoint, that could be the case. But from a music standpoint I have to point out that the quality is drastically improved. You're getting the files you want, the files are tagged correctly, no static, and then the encoding is consistent and infinitely customizable to your taste.

Alvis 10-01-04 05:22 PM

Originally posted by shaun3000
Lame --alt-preset standard!! .
What is "alt-preset standard"? I use lame to encode music, and I've also used Allofmp3. It's pretty cool. I only put in $5 last week and I downloaded approximately 6-7 cds and I have about $1 left. I just don't know what "alt-preset standard" is.

shaun3000 10-01-04 06:39 PM

it's a customized VRB format. Not sure hw it works but it gives quality hat is VERY clsoe to CD qualoity and very ery small. Larger than 128k, but smaller than 320k .(Forgive the typing, i've been drinking./.)

DonnachaOne 06-22-05 08:33 AM

I started using it last night. I needed songs in a hurry for a compilation.

So far it's had most of the songs I've been looking for, and I'd rather pay and get the songs quickly. Good stuff, so far.

tommy28 06-22-05 11:04 AM

of~seems legit:)

iv encoded with the ACC but how would i get it into itunes for my ipod??

thanks-

Class316 06-22-05 11:07 AM

This is the site the mainstream does not want you to know about!

While I agree that this is an awesome site and all those shitty sites like itunies should take note of the model, there really isn't any music I like enough to pay for. So I'll stick to other free alternatives.

But if I were to pay it would definately be that site.

tommy28 06-22-05 03:40 PM

im getting a Payment error!

anyone else?

Mr. Salty 06-22-05 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by tommy28
iv encoded with the ACC but how would i get it into itunes for my ipod??

The same way you'd get any other songs into iTunes. Drag the files or folders to wherever you keep your music on your computer (for me it's in the iTunes Music folder). Start iTunes, click File -> Add File (for individual songs) or -> add folder (for albums).

tommy28 06-22-05 05:31 PM

thanks-

now iv got to figure why im getting an error at payment.

tommy28 06-23-05 09:25 AM

i think im going to need a bigger ipod;)

Artman 06-23-05 04:42 PM

Yep, I needed two - 60GB worth. I've used allofmp3 (and another russian site) for 6-8 months now.. no problems, couldn't be happier (well, I could if they'd add some artists/albums I'm looking for).

Tommy check your balance, I often get those error messages but they end up going thru anyways.

Trigger 06-23-05 05:19 PM

I recommend it often. Good site.

cungar 06-23-05 05:45 PM

I just ordered some songs. How do I download them?

Mr. Salty 06-23-05 06:11 PM

abefroman_1 06-23-05 07:41 PM

ALLofmp3.com does not pay any money to the artists or the record companies that own the rights to the recordings. Take a look at some of these articles:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/05...sian_mp3_site/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/02/22/allofmp3_probe/

So yes, I suppose it is a cheaper alternative to iTunes, but the money is not going to anyone with a real legal right to it. No one at allofmp3 invested any money or time in creating or promoting the music, so I wonder why they feel they have a right to profit from the property of others?

Also, the RIAA does not work in Europe - that task is left to a similar organization called IFPI.

tommy28 06-23-05 08:04 PM

cungar did you download there Explorer program???

tommy28 06-23-05 08:05 PM

art i use icard and make payments that way..

tommy

NitroJMS 06-28-05 05:29 PM

I've tried using Visa on this site and it simply won't go through. Does it matter that I'm using a one-time use number from MBNA? I've never had this problem at any other site.

tommy28 06-28-05 05:53 PM

Nitro i use icard to make payments ...

NitroJMS 06-28-05 07:11 PM

Nitro i use icard to make payments ...

What is icard?

tommy28 06-28-05 07:23 PM

nitro to get proper credit,go through allofmp3`s sight

http://www.xrost.com/

cdollaz 06-29-05 09:54 AM

Another good thing about it is that you do not even have to download music as you can listen to any full album (not clips but the full songs) on there as long as you are a member. So just put in the minimum payment ($5 or $10) and then you can basically have your own jukebox with no obligation to buy anything.

cungar 06-29-05 03:38 PM

cungar did you download there Explorer program???

Yeah got it. I've downloaded about 20 albums. Sometimes it's fast as shit 450 Kbps and sometimes it's slower than molasses 10 Kbps.

The Bus 06-29-05 04:57 PM

It's been TERRIBLE the past couple of days, especially the last day or so...

Mr. Salty 06-29-05 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Another good thing about it is that you do not even have to download music as you can listen to any full album (not clips but the full songs) on there as long as you are a member. So just put in the minimum payment ($5 or $10) and then you can basically have your own jukebox with no obligation to buy anything.

That's only a positive if you find unbelievably shitty sound quality acceptable. Sadly, more and more people these days do. But I'm willing to pay $ for a CD, SACD or DVD-A, or at least AllofMP3's high-bitrate AAC encoding.

I use the full album previews for exactly the purpose they're intended: To find out of I like music before I buy it.

Trigger 06-29-05 07:32 PM

www.mp3search.ru is another alternative - 10 cents per track with discounts for entire albums. I know someone who uses it and likes it alot.

There are others... just don't know which are 'legit' and which aren't. Google search for "mp3 ru" and you'll come up with a bunch.

cdollaz 06-30-05 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
That's only a positive if you find unbelievably shitty sound quality acceptable.

Or if I happen to listen to them at work with one speaker at a low volume. Quality doesn't really matter in this case.

DonnachaOne 07-02-05 04:52 PM

The 24-kbps test tracks are a GODSEND.

I just listened to a cover of David Bowie's "Life On Mars" by an Indonesian singer named Anggun from the last decade. It's lovely. I'd never have known had it not been for allofmp3, and I've never have been able to hear it risk-free without the test track.

Do a search for it. It's like a young Sade.

wastro 07-02-05 07:38 PM

The simple fact it doesn't pay the artists is enough for me to go elsewhere.

Trigger 07-04-05 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by wastro
The simple fact it doesn't pay the artists is enough for me to go elsewhere.

do you think the riaa pays the artists?

stevevt 07-04-05 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Trigger

Do you think that's an argument for payment to completely unrelated third parties?

RMSpuhler 07-04-05 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
The 24-kbps test tracks are a GODSEND.

I just listened to a cover of David Bowie's "Life On Mars" by an Indonesian singer named Anggun from the last decade. It's lovely. I'd never have known had it not been for allofmp3, and I've never have been able to hear it risk-free without the test track.

Do a search for it. It's like a young Sade.

Soory for the brief threadjack:

I LOVE Anggun. I saw her open for Natalie Merchant in ... 1999, I think. She has a powerful voice, absolutely stunning. Oh, and she's pretty cute, too:

http://www.sonymusicstore.com/coveri..._72dpi_RGB.jpg

RS

wastro 07-04-05 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Trigger

At least a small portion of the money I pay whenever I buy a song from iTunes goes to the artist. This is not the case with allofmp3.com.