Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain: L.A.'s Desert Origins 10/26/04

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-04, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Has anybody heard about this 2 disc reissue supposedly coming out October 26.

Entertainment Weekly announced it as one of their 25 most anticipated albums of the fall and it reportedly includes 39 bonus tracks including B-Sides, Outtakes, Live Material & 11 never-before-heard songs.

This sounds great but for an album only a month from release date (even a reissue) I can't seem to find any info on the web.

Sounds very similiar to the excellent reissue of 'Slanted & Enchanted' that Matador did.

Anyone else have any more info?
Old 09-21-04, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From the Matador bulletin boards...

DISC ONE

Back to the Gold Soundz

1. Silence Kit
2. Elevate Me Later
3. Stop Breathin
4. Cut Your Hair
5. Newark Wilder
6. Unfair
7. Gold Soundz
8. 5-4 = Unity
9. Range Life
10. Heaven Is a Truck
11. Hit the Plane Down
12. Fillmore Jive

======== end of original album =========

13. Camera
14. Stare
15. Raft
16. Cooling by Sound
17. Kneeling Bus
18. Strings of Nashville
19. Exit Theory
20. 5-4 Vocal
21. Jam Kids
22. Haunt You Down
23. Unseen Power of the Picket Fence
24. Nail Clinic

#1-12 from Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
#13-14 from "Cut Your Hair" released 1994
#15-16 from "Range Life" released 1994
#17-19 from "Gold Soundz" released 1994
#20 from "Gold Soundz" Australian tour ep released 1994
#21-22 from 7" included with Crooked Rain
#23 from "No Alternative" released 1993
#24 from "Hey Drag City" released 1993

DISC TWO

After the Glow (Where Eagles Dare)

1. All My Friends
2. Soiled Little Filly
3. Range Life
4. Stop Breathing
5. Ell Ess Two
6. Flux = Rad
7. Bad Version of War
8. Same Way of Saying
9. Hands Off the Bayou
10. Heaven Is a Truck (Egg Shell)
11. Grounded
12. Kennel District
13. Pueblo (Beach Boys)
14. Fucking Righteous
15. Colorado
16. Dark Ages
17. Flood Victim
18. JMC Retro
19. Rug Rat
20. Strings of Nashville (instrumental)
21. Instrumental
22. Brink of the Clouds
23. Orange Black
24. Tartar Martyr
25. Pueblo

#1-21 previously unreleased
#22-25 from John Peel Session Feb 26, 2004
Old 09-22-04, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow! Hope that release date holds.
Old 09-24-04, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

from pitchforkmedia.com

James Gregory reports:
Pavement's second album, 1994's Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain, holds a special place as one of most accomplished and admired sophomore releases from the 90s alternative scene. The disc managed the near-impossible feat of tightening the focus of the band's stunning debut, Slanted and Enchanted, while maintaining all the credibility and sloppy charm that have since come to define both the band's legacy and the heart of indie rock. Cynic-proof, effortlessly brilliant, and impossible to reproduce, it's an album so good they named it twice.

As reported way back in late 2003, Matador will be celebrating the 10th anniversary of the seminal record with the release of a special two-disc expanded edition. The set has recently been dubbed Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain: La's Desert Origins, and like 2002's Slanted and Enchanted: Luxe and Reduxe, Matador has supplemented the original album with an abundance of bonus material. An impressive 37 extra cuts fill out the set, comprised of previously unreleased tracks, B-sides, and live sessions from a '94 John Peel BBC radio show. The deluxe packaging also includes a 40-page booklet filled with essays, band recollections, and photos from the era. According to Billboard, the complete tracklist for Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain: La's Desert Origins, due in stores October 26th, is as follows:

Disc 1: "Back to the Gold Soundz (Phantom Power Parable)"
01 Silence Kit
02 Elevate Me Later
03 Stop Breathin
04 Cut Your Hair
05 Newark Wilder
06 Unfair
07 Gold Soundz
08 5 - 4 = Unity
09 Range Life
10 Heaven Is a Truck
11 Hit the Plane Down
12 Fillmore Jive
13 Camera (Cut Your Hair B-side)
14 Stare (Cut Your Hair B-side)
15 Raft (Range Life B-side)
16 Coolin' by Sound (Range Life B-side)
17 Kneeling Bus (Gold Soundz B-side)
18 Strings of Nashville (Gold Soundz B-side)
19 Exit Theory (Gold Soundz B-side)
20 5-4 Vocal (Gold Soundz B-side)
21 Jam Kids (Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain bonus 7-inch)
22 Haunt You Down (Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain bonus 7-inch)
23 Unseen Power of the Picket Fence (from No Alternative)
24 Nail Clinic (from Hey Drag City!)

Disc 2: "After the Glow (Where Eagles Dare)"
01 All My Friends
02 Soiled Little Filly
03 Range Life
04 Stop Breathin
05 Ell Ess Two
06 Flux=Rad
07 Bad Version of War
08 Same Way of Staying
09 Hands Off the Bayou
10 Heaven Is a Truck (Egg Shell)
11 Grounded
12 Kennel District
13 Pueblo (Beach Boys)
14 Fucking Righteous
15 Colorado
16 Dark Ages
17 Flood Victim
18 JMC Retro
19 Rug Rat
20 String of Nashville (instrumental)
21 Instrumental
22 Brink of the Clouds (Peel Session)
23 Tartar Martyr (Peel Session)
24 Pueblo Domain (Peel Session)
25 The Sutcliffe Catering Song (Peel Session)

Of the bonus material, 11 songs have been previously unavailable commercially, and offer some of the biggest incentive for fans to shell out for the new collection. Speaking to Billboard, former Pavement frontman Stephen Malkmus seemed genuinely warm about his label's assembly of the material. "There's some things I would veto now and then, but Matador more than anything has been the driving force in digging up stuff and making these records into '90s classics. There are some full songs that are pretty cool; they sound just like Crooked Rain. They maybe have not as good mixes or bad singing, or are just slightly inferior. But they're still pretty good."

While there have been no official announcements on future Pavement reissues, Malkmus asserts that there is enough material for at least the next two discs in the band's catalog. "They might run out of B-sides and stuff at Wowee Zowee," he stated. "But they could go up to Brighten the Corners. There's a million extra songs from that one. That's a case where there are songs that were undoubtedly better than the ones on the album. Ultimately, it depends on how special Matador think the records are and if other people do too."

On a final, more revealing note, Malkmus also addressed the inevitable Pavement reunion question from Billboard. "It doesn't feel exactly right yet for me to do it. I mean, it could. I guess you just know when it's right, just like so many other things in your life. Or, you force it due to financial reasons or someone telling you how much you could make. No one has told us that, so that's not an issue at all. But we all get along; no one is like a lawyer with a huge caseload or has lost an arm." With his solo career yielding somewhat comparable highs to past glories, I wouldn't count on any major developments, but the "yet" in that quote could possibly keep longtime fans awake at night tossing and turning with High Fidelity-like anxiety. I mean, if someone said to you, "I haven't seen Evil Dead 2... yet," how would you take it?
Old 10-26-04, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can't wait to pick this up. BB didn't have it.

also from pitchfork:

Pavement
Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain: LA's Desert Origins
[Matador; 1994; r: 2004]
Rating: 10.0

In a 1994 interview with Option magazine, Steve Malkmus recalled his pre-Pavement band Straw Dog opening for Black Flag in Stockton, California. "I was backstage before the show and all those guys, they looked so scary, I was afraid of them," Malkmus told writer Jason Fine. "Like, Greg Ginn was mixing up this stuff in a glass. It was probably just protein powder or some healthy drink, but I thought it was heroin or something." Observing Henry Rollins squeezing a cue ball to pump himself up, Malkmus compared the Sisyphean ritual to smashing your head against a brick wall. "That's what I thought punk was, you know. That's when I knew that maybe I'm just not punk enough."

No maybes about it. The late-1993 press photos that accompany the lavish 62-page booklet included with this heavily augmented 2xCD reissue of Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain tell the story. After original drummer Gary Young split earlier in the year and Steve West, Bob Nastanovich and Mark Ibold joined Malkmus and Scott Kannberg, Pavement looked like a scrubbed-up gang of packaging majors in search of a good tailgate party (jolly Nastanovich in U-Mass windbreaker, clean-cut S.M. in puffy red ski jacket; only West's Harry Carey-style specs suggest that these guys might be hanging with New York hipsters).

The dorkily collegiate look was of no concern to Pavement, because to them, appearances never mattered. That's what all the indie bands said back then, of course, even the ones who threw away the twin-blade, let their jeans wear through the knees, flew the flannel, and became world famous. But from the first Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain single ("Cut Your Hair") forward, Pavement, on the verge of the big time, opted out. Who knew why, really? Kannberg would do some soapboxing when pressed in interviews (he wouldn't deal with Rolling Stone because he didn't like how they covered the 80s), but Pavement was never about principles-- at least not ones you could easily name. An anti-fashion statement is still a fashion statement, but Pavement was on another trip. They liked to make fun of rock iconography, but they were smart enough to avoid offering an alternative. You never really knew where Pavement stood on anything, which kept an air of mystery and made their music malleable.

Pavement's sophomore outing does not contain 12 perfect songs but it is close to a perfect album. Each of the best half-dozen-- "Silence Kit", "Elevate Me Later", "Cut Your Hair", "Unfair", "Gold Soundz", and "Range Life"-- contain Malkmus' catchy and highly unusual melodies ("Silence Kit" cribs from Buddy Holly, but even that's an odd gesture) and would be career highlights for most rock bands. But even the songs that aren't necessarily brilliant work well in the context of the album, moving things along in their own way. The Dave Brubeck send-up "5-4=Unity", for example, is a perfect placeholder between two unbelievably great songs. And the closing "Fillmore Jive" ends an album at least partly about the music industry on an appropriately classic rock note, with an extended group-jam coda on par with "Hey Jude". Not many records are this easy to put on in the car and let play start to finish.

Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain has been called one of the great California albums, but unlike most records slapped with that label, it avoids dreams and nightmares and focuses on the banal. This is a suburban California album, and since suburbs are exactly the same from Sacto to Levittown, it's an album to which all suburban kids can relate. To us, the imagery of "Elevate Me Later" ("underneath the fake oil burning lamps in the city we forgot to name") and "Range Life" (the kid on the skateboard is coasting through a winding subdivision, not Brooklyn) is instantly familiar.

But really, though Crooked Rain references the burbs and the music biz, with Pavement it's the sound and feel that matter, not the words or themes. Quoting lyrics to get to the heart of Pavement is misguided. Go online and print some out and you'll see that, taken on their own, they're generally meaningless. Read the track-by-track notes S.M. prepared for Melody Maker at the time of the record's release (reprinted in the booklet here) and it's clear just how unknowable these songs are. "Stop Breathin" is about tennis and the Civil War, of course; "Elevate Me Later" is about political correctness; "Heaven Is a Truck" is "loosely based on the singer from Royal Trux." Whatever.

Judging from the several alternate takes of Crooked Rain songs included on Disc Two, it seems that Malkmus tinkered with words constantly, and that the final versions are those sung on the take that wound up in the can. The "I/they don't have no function" bit in "Range Life", which most people take to be a self-deprecating line to let Malkmus off the hook for ragging on the Smashing Pumpkins fans, was probably just a glitch that he didn't want to go back and fix. The early version of "Range Life" recorded with Gary Young (one of eight such unreleased tracks on the 25-track bonus disc) had no such sentiment, and lyrics-wise, it's a completely different song. "Ell Ess Two", an early version of "Elevate Me Later" from the Young sessions, is also completely different and yet unintelligible in the same way. It's the way words sound and the way Malkmus sings them that gives his songs meaning.

The remainder of the first disc is given over to the B-sides and compilation songs released during the period. I've always thought Pavement's celebrated B-side prowess to be a tad overrated, but certainly the gorgeous and quiet "Strings of Nashville" is one of the best songs in the band's catalog (love that synthesized traffic whoosh), and "Stare", "Raft", and "Nail Clinic" all rate alongside other original Crooked Rain tracks. The two R.E.M. knocks, on the other hand-- the half-cover of "Camera" and the "Tweeter & the Monkey Man"-style goof "Unseen Power of the Picket Fence"-- are in league with "Haunt You Down" as weeded-out experiments for only the most hardcore fans.

The second disc, containing period unreleased material, is an equally mixed bag that turns up a few true gems. The most anticipated tracks are the first eight, recorded in 1993 with Gary Young and never officially released in any form. "All My Friends" is by far the best of these, and could fairly be called a Pavement classic (it would have fit quite nicely on the Watery, Domestic EP), and "Soiled Little Filly" is almost as good. The three alternate versions of Crooked Rain songs from these sessions ("Ell Ess Two", "Range Life", and "Stop Breathin"), and one later re-recorded for Wowee Zowee ("Flux=Rad") are interesting but ultimately show how Pavement had outgrown Young's primitive studio set-up (speaking of Wowee Zowee, early versions of "Grounded", "Kennel District", and two takes on "Pueblo" were recorded at the New York Crooked Rain sessions as well. Since these are three of Wowee's best songs, this was a fertile period indeed.) Jokey experiments, a few strong songs, a couple instrumentals-- including a welcome no-vox version of "Strings of Nashville"-- and four Peel Sessions tracks round out the generous bonus disc. The perfect dusty trunk hauled down from the attic.

Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain was my introduction to Pavement and I loved it instantly. I was traveling a lot in '92 and '93 and was rarely close to a stereo, so somehow Slanted & Enchanted never made it on my radar. When I finally bought S&E, my first thought was, all right, sweet, some of these songs are as good as the ones on Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain. There's no question that S&E is a fantastic record, but to me, parts of it sound like Pavement wearing a costume. Listen to the brilliant "Summer Babe" and know that Malkmus loves Lou Reed, but East Coast cool ultimately isn't his style. On Crooked Rain, Pavement became a band, opened up (as much as they ever could, anyway), and sounded like themselves: smart, funny, confident, West Coast, suburban. The confidence was key. Malkmus and Kannberg grew up loving bands loved by critics, and in their short history, the critics couldn't stop talking about them. In 1994, they were ready to take on the world, but chose to do so in their own quiet and unforgettable way.

-Mark Richardson, October 26th, 2004
Old 10-26-04, 04:00 PM

FYI - www.deepdiscountcd.com has this for $13.97 shipped (as well as the deluxe edition of Slanted & Enchanted for the same price) - little bit better than BestBuy or Amazon.
Old 10-26-04, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks. I want it today but I'll probably end up having to order it. :sigh:
Old 10-27-04, 01:46 AM

I got my copy at borders today. You might want to check them out if you have one in your area.

it was $19 though....but I couldn't wait!

Brian
Old 10-27-04, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by bdrules
I got my copy at borders today. You might want to check them out if you have one in your area.

it was $19 though....but I couldn't wait!

Brian
Yeah. I knew Borders would probably have it. Might as well spill the extra $ and get it now rather than wait a week. Why? Great question.
Old 10-27-04, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can get it for $9 + shipping ($3?) from Barnes and Noble online. Check the dvd bargains forum for the 10 off 10 code.

edit: nevermind, code is dead now

Last edited by Jeraden; 10-28-04 at 07:37 AM.
Old 10-28-04, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks Jeraden.
Old 10-29-04, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Picked it up today from CC for $13.99.

Great Package. Great Music.

Good job Matador!