Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Sea and Cake

Old 09-13-04, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Sea and Cake

I just discovered this band for myself (although I'm sure most of you have been listening to them for a while...) and damn, I must say...some catchy stuff.

I'm currently listening to Oui - what are their other good/best albums and tracks?

And also, what are some other bands like them?
Old 09-13-04, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
If you like them, you might like Tortoise.
Old 09-13-04, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, I haven't been listening to them- which looks to be a mistake on my part. I just read the Pitchfork review of Oui and checked out sound samples at Amazon and it sounds like I'm missing out.

I know there's some musical connections with this band and Tortoise, which is a band I simply love. So that might be a good place to start if you're looking for similar music (though it should be noted that Tortoise are an instrumental band so if it's Sea and Cake's lyrics you've fallen for you wont find that here). Millions Now Living Will Never Die and TNT are the two best places to start with them IMO. Next would be their album Standards.
Old 09-13-04, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Buy Nassau! This one is not only start to finish solid but has some of their best tracks-- "Lamonts Lament", "Parasol", and "Soft and Sleep." I put this up high in my favorite albums of the 90s. Don't bother with The Fawn, though. It's not horrific, but it is spotty enough to keep it away from their better albums (Nassau, One Bedroom, Oui, and the self-titled disc). I don't own The Biz.

Archer Prewitt (guitar) and Sam Prekop (vox) both put out solo albums in 2001. While nice I wouldn't say that you need them for the fulfillment of yr natural life.

The connection with Tortoise = Jon McEntire, who drums for both bands (as well as about 100 other Chicago groups). Apart from that, I've never put much stock in the musical connection.
Old 09-13-04, 07:11 PM

Although I often agree with fallow, do yourself a favor and pick up The Fawn. It's (IMO) the second best Sea and Cake record, right after The Biz. The s/t album and Nassau are both quite solid, too.

Archer Prewitt's White Sky is also well worth seeking out, as it is quite a bit better than the more recent Sea and Cake releases. Three is also solid, although I can't really recommend his debut.

Last edited by mike1978; 09-13-04 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-14-04, 11:12 PM

i agree with mike1978; The Fawn is a fantastic album. great music to listen to while going out for a drive on an autumn day. i would say it almost surpasses The Biz in terms of its musical content. every track is quite excellent. they are also a good band to see live.

sam's solo album is also decent as well...its kind of a blueprint for the sea and cake albums that would follow ( Oui and One Bedroom ). the last track 'so shy' is probably the best song on the album and stands out from the rest.

you might want to give a listen to sam's first band shrimp boat. a box set just came out recently. although they don't sound exactly like the sea and cake, the dynamics and energy is similiar and worth checking out.
shrimp boat