Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

SOUL fans: Joss Stone "Mind, Body & Soul" drops September 28th

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 09-10-04, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know if you guys like her, but she's quickly become one of my favourites after catching her on Conan O'Brien last year. I wore a groove in her first disc and i've already heard the new one and it's just as great.

It's called 'Mind, Body and Soul' and it'll be out September 28th.

It was recorded in Memphis and she wrote 12 of the tracks on the album. Betty Wright produced and Beth Gibbons [from Portishead] wrote a song. She also cowrote a FABULOUS song with Motown songwriting legend Lamont Dozier.

An anecdote about the recording of her first single
"You Had Me" was recorded August 14, 2003 in New York City by an incredible band including Nile Rodgers on guitar, Jack Daley on bass, and Cindy Blackman on drums.

Producer Steve Greenberg remembers, “They played the song live in the studio for nearly fifteen minutes—it just kept going and going because the vibe was so exciting. Finally, the musicians finished this incredible take—which we knew was the keeper—and we pushed the ‘Save’ button on the computer. Literally two seconds after that button was pushed, the lights went out in the studio. Betty Wright said, ‘You guys funked so hard, you blew the lights out!’ Little did we know that we were in the middle of the Great Eastern Blackout of 2003. If the band had played for even another 30 seconds, we wouldn’t have been able to hit the ‘Save’ button—and this magical take would have been lost forever.”

About the song’s theme Joss says, “I don't hate on people, but I don't take s**t either. I don't want to be walked all over—no woman does. So ‘You Had Me’ is one for the girls.”
Old 09-10-04, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I saw a brief set at a fest this past Spring and she was very impressive. Her voice is sweet (sweet as in very good... she's certainly got some ooomph).
Old 11-06-04, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am really loving her new CD. I especially love her hidden track on it. Last night I caught her on Hard Rock Live on MTV. But, she only played her old stuff. I like her second CD a lot more than her first.