Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Deftones - Saturday Night Wrist

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-04, 03:26 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/149...headlines=true

For much of the summer, the Deftones have been writing, erasing and rewriting songs in a Malibu, California, studio. Now the band is hitting the road, ready to premiere the material on a monthlong U.S. club tour.

"We're just going to get used to playing as a live band again," frontman Chino Moreno said. "For me, the best part of being in a band is playing shows, all the raw energy. So we want to get some of these new songs worked out live. It'll be interesting."

The tour starts September 27 in San Francisco and finishes October 30 in Hartford, Connecticut. The band plans to head right from the road into producer Bob Ezrin's Connecticut studio.

"The tour is routed so it ends in Connecticut, and the we load our equipment into Bob's studio," Moreno said. "He produced [Pink Floyd's] The Wall, so he's known for building songs. And we've been FTPing songs back and forth all along, so we're slowly constructing a record. We're building an album as opposed to just making a bunch of songs and putting them on a record."

The band has written 18 songs for the new album, Moreno said, describing them as "more White Pony than our last one," 2003's Deftones.

"The songs are kind of brainy. They're more Rush than Tool in a way," he continued. "On our last record, we got kind of lazy by writing as few riffs as possible. This one we're writing way more riffs. We have formats where we have to write the songs down and go over them and over them again."

In addition to gearing up for a new Deftones album, Moreno just finished the mastering on his long-awaited, even-longer-delayed Team Sleep side project. Formed in 2001, Team Sleep recorded a demo that leaked online and was all but abandoned by Moreno. But earlier this year, he rounded up indie royalty like Helium's Mary Timony and Pinback's Rob Crow to record a whole new album.

"We turn it in on Friday and it'll be out November 2. It came out really good. It's all pretty mellow and very un-rock," Moreno said. "It's very moody. Very beat-driven. We have an avant-garde drummer and a programmer who uses only an old sampler. And then there are all these melancholy, romantic guitar lines through it all."

He's a lot less open with information about the new Deftones record, refusing to reveal track names or even a title. But he's hopeful that fans will have the album in their hands by early next year.

"This is the tightest we've ever been, going into the studio. And we're going to record it live," Moreno said. "So we're going to be done with the album in time to turn it in before Christmas and be home for the holidays."

For much of the summer, the Deftones have been writing, erasing and rewriting songs in a Malibu, California, studio. Now the band is hitting the road, ready to premiere the material on a monthlong U.S. club tour.

"We're just going to get used to playing as a live band again," frontman Chino Moreno said. "For me, the best part of being in a band is playing shows, all the raw energy. So we want to get some of these new songs worked out live. It'll be interesting."

The tour starts September 27 in San Francisco and finishes October 30 in Hartford, Connecticut. The band plans to head right from the road into producer Bob Ezrin's Connecticut studio.

"The tour is routed so it ends in Connecticut, and the we load our equipment into Bob's studio," Moreno said. "He produced [Pink Floyd's] The Wall, so he's known for building songs. And we've been FTPing songs back and forth all along, so we're slowly constructing a record. We're building an album as opposed to just making a bunch of songs and putting them on a record."

The band has written 18 songs for the new album, Moreno said, describing them as "more White Pony than our last one," 2003's Deftones.

"The songs are kind of brainy. They're more Rush than To/ol in a way," he continued. "On our last record, we got kind of lazy by writing as few riffs as possible. This one we're writing way more riffs. We have formats where we have to write the songs down and go over them and over them again."

In addition to gearing up for a new Deftones album, Moreno just finished the mastering on his long-awaited, even-longer-delayed Team Sleep side project. Formed in 2001, Team Sleep recorded a demo that leaked online and was all but abandoned by Moreno. But earlier this year, he rounded up indie royalty like Helium's Mary Timony and Pinback's Rob Crow to record a whole new album.

"We turn it in on Friday and it'll be out November 2. It came out really good. It's all pretty mellow and very un-rock," Moreno said. "It's very moody. Very beat-driven. We have an avant-garde drummer and a programmer who uses only an old sampler. And then there are all these melancholy, romantic guitar lines through it all."

He's a lot less open with information about the new Deftones record, refusing to reveal track names or even a title. But he's hopeful that fans will have the album in their hands by early next year.

"This is the tightest we've ever been, going into the studio. And we're going to record it live," Moreno said. "So we're going to be done with the album in time to turn it in before Christmas and be home for the holidays."
Old 09-09-04, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It was even better the 2nd time.
Old 09-09-04, 07:37 PM

Thanks for all these updates MJKTool! It looks like there's going to be a lot of good releases coming out soon. What do you make of the Tool comment Chino made? I'm not familiar with the music of Rush, but he seemed to be making a jab at Tool. Or perhaps I'm just a bit biased since I'm such a huge Tool fan .

Hearing that Rob Crow is involved with Team Sleep really had me intrigued now. For those not familiar with him, he's been in several bands, the most prominant of which is probably Pinback and who I used the title of one of their songs as my User Name. It's definately a different sound from the Deftones, so I'll be interested to hear them.
Old 09-09-04, 11:41 PM
Suspended

I have no idea how I would explain something is "more Rush than Tool", two completely different bands. But I assume he is referring to some type of progressive sound. And I highly doubt it was jab at Tool seeing as both bands highly respect eachother. Hell Keenan appeared on White Pony. I'm definetly excited about some of these upcomming releases and glad to hear Team Sleep is a go
Old 09-10-04, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Yeah, that Team Sleep disc has been a long time coming. Glad to see it finally came together. Maverick finally got their heads out of their asses on that. Rumors are that there should be a Team Sleep tour starting sometime in December.

Already got my tix for the October 4th show here in town. Can't fucking wait.

Last edited by Deftones, Esq; 09-10-04 at 12:19 AM.
Old 09-10-04, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
I can't wait for both of these. I hope the new one is more White Pony, I liked the last one, but I think it was their weakest to date.
Old 09-10-04, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Cusm
I can't wait for both of these. I hope the new one is more White Pony, I liked the last one, but I think it was their weakest to date.
I disagree completely. While I like the interesting direction of White Pony, the last disc was much more Deftones.
Old 09-10-04, 12:04 PM
Suspended

White Pony is my favorite as well, hell its one of my favorites of all time. Their self titled album had awesome songs on it, but I don't think it was as complete an album as White Pony. To me some of the songs just seem kinda rushed. They even admit to being lazy on that album....probably from smokin all that herb.
Old 09-10-04, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cool deal! I'm VERY curious about Team Sleep...I like the way it's being described thus far...I like it when someone wants to do a side project that truly falls outside the "norm" of their main band. I LOVE Serart, side project of Serj from SOAD...totally different in style than SOAD.

Of course....looking forward to the new Deftones album as well. Didn't other members of Deftones have their own side project going? Don't remember a name...hell, I may be imagining the whole thing.

Final thought: I believe it was back in the "nu-metal" thread I started...but it totally slipped my mind to ask about this. Someone (Esq?) mentioned that Chino can sing/scream breathing inward...I was hoping to get some specific examples. I told a friend about it and he couldn't believe it. Couldn't think of anything to play for him...if you can, please get as specific as you can (you know...Track 3 3:15 into the track etc.).
Old 09-11-04, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk God

Yeah, I did mention that somewhere. I don't think he does it that much anymore. About 2 - 3 years ago he hurt his vocal cords so bad he was out for several months. It was the year they were on Ozzfest. Shit, that may have been longer ago than that. I've only heard that he does it, so I can't confirm it or deny it.
Old 09-11-04, 02:16 PM
Banned

Why release another album so soon only after one year?
Old 09-11-04, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by corycouger
Why release another album so soon only after one year?
Why not?

If they have the material to put out, I'm all for them putting out new stuff every year.
Old 09-13-04, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk God

On a side note, I saw these cd sales numbers today and was pretty amazed.

deftones - adrenaline: 900,064
deftones - around the fur: 872,006
deftones - white pony: 1,156,807
deftones - deftones: 471,676

Jesus, people just don't have a fucking clue when it comes to good music.

On the positive side, this keeps them playing in small venues rather than those mega-craptastic shows in huge arenas.
Old 09-13-04, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
On a side note, I saw these cd sales numbers today and was pretty amazed.

deftones - adrenaline: 900,064
deftones - around the fur: 872,006
deftones - white pony: 1,156,807
deftones - deftones: 471,676

Jesus, people just don't have a fucking clue when it comes to good music.

On the positive side, this keeps them playing in small venues rather than those mega-craptastic shows in huge arenas.

Those numbers are disgusting. They are easily one of my top 3-4 bands of all time, and my favorite "new" band. I guess they just aren't selling out enough to be as kewl as Korn. Or maybe this nuovo/fake retro punk fad hit as the Tones should have and less people were exposed to them via radio and tv.
Old 09-23-04, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Just a bump up. The supporting band for the upcoming mini-tour was announced to be Dredg.
Old 09-23-04, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk God

One more thing. The Team Sleep website has been relaunched, and has a music video up. Release date is set for November 2, 2004.

http://www.teamsleep.com/site/index.html
Old 09-23-04, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You know, I kind of almost prefer that they don't have mainstream hits...f the mainstream. They have the most loyal fanbase already...who needs to sell 10 million of something anymore?

The deftones have been and always will be one of the most talented and smartest working bands in music, if not THE most talented. I forget where I read it, but someone said that they simply don't make singles - they make albums. And that's not how music is done these days, and that those who enjoy them now will preach to the masses in the years to come about how the deftones shaped music for years after they're gone...

Each and every album and song they've put out is distinctive. I expect nothing less from them. I can't wait. I dunno what I'm going to do with myself over the next few months - I'll be in heaven - new Helmet, Team Sleep, Handsome Boy Modeling School, Deftones, possible Elysian Fields...it's like all the good music in the world is coming out at once. woo hoo!
Old 09-24-04, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by lordzeppelin
You know, I kind of almost prefer that they don't have mainstream hits...f the mainstream. They have the most loyal fanbase already...who needs to sell 10 million of something anymore?

The deftones have been and always will be one of the most talented and smartest working bands in music, if not THE most talented. I forget where I read it, but someone said that they simply don't make singles - they make albums. And that's not how music is done these days, and that those who enjoy them now will preach to the masses in the years to come about how the deftones shaped music for years after they're gone...

Each and every album and song they've put out is distinctive. I expect nothing less from them. I can't wait. I dunno what I'm going to do with myself over the next few months - I'll be in heaven - new Helmet, Team Sleep, Handsome Boy Modeling School, Deftones, possible Elysian Fields...it's like all the good music in the world is coming out at once. woo hoo!
I couldn't agree more. It sucks in a way because they don't get the props they deserve from the mainstream media, but in a way it's not that bad. They make a ton of cash off touring, so cd sales aren't that big a deal to them.
Old 09-25-04, 08:47 PM
Banned

i used to like deftones alot but then i gave my white pony cd to my brother. i would like them alot more if all there songs were like change. thats an amazing song.
Old 10-22-04, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk God

Just an update on Team Sleep's new disc. Good news and bad news:

According to ABC ePrep, DEFTONES singer Chino Moreno says the folks at Maverick Records are so impressed with his side project TEAM SLEEP's new record that he expects the label to push the release of the CD back until next year. The disc was supposed to come out November 2, and was then pushed back to November 9. But Moreno says that after hearing the finished product, the label decided, "they really want to promote it," and will most likely wait until next year to release it so they'll be able to give it more attention. "I guess they didn't expect it to be as good as it is," says Moreno, adding that he's not sure whether he should be happy the record executives are impressed, or upset that they originally didn't expect much from him. TEAM SLEEP will tour Europe and the U.S. early next year, after the DEFTONES finish in the studio.
Old 10-22-04, 02:06 AM

That's a bummer. I was looking forward to picking this up soon. At least it sounds like it should be damn good.
Old 10-22-04, 12:22 PM
Suspended

Jeeze pushed back again? Sigh. Just hope it doesnt end up being like the Tapeworm project.
Old 06-07-06, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Bumping this from the archives, just for discussion...

The new album is tenatively titled "Saturday Night Wrist", and according to launch.com the release date will be September 12, 2006.

I'm dying to hear this album...the leaked song that stef posted on their myspace page, 'Beware the Water' is friggin' awesome...I've been listening to it non stop for the past week.

Deftones, did you hear that one yet (I'm assuming you have...I think we're both equally as big deftones fans...except you got the namesake)
Old 07-17-06, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk God

Listen to the new Deftones song "Beware the Water"...

not sure how long this will be up: http://www.summersongmusic.net/Uploa...he%20Water.mp3
Old 07-26-06, 01:22 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Thanks. I've been relatively interested in hearing this.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.