Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

amiee mann, where to start?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 08-30-04, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I liked the work of her's from magnolia. Is the soundtrack a good start to get started, or should i go for one of her albums or a greatest hits album if one such thing exists.
Old 08-31-04, 04:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In general - GET ALL OF THEM!
She's one of my favourite artists, her voice is just incredibly beuatiful, IMO.

I started with her first album "Whatever" and it's still one of my all time faves. I hate to pick standout tracks since I love the entire album, but if you want to get an impression, listen to "Stupid Thing", "4th of July", "Could've been anyone" and especially "I've Had It", one of the most beautiful songs ever made, IMO.

Her second album, "I'm with stupid" is also very good, although it lacks the genius of "Whatever" and "Bachelor #2", IMO (Don't get me wrong - all her albums are really amazing, it's just that the level of quality is quite high, it's hard to discribe differences). Listen to "You could make a killing" and "That's just what you are"

Back to genius with her 3rd album "Bachelor #2". You probably wanna start with this one, since some of the songs featured on the Magnolia soundtrack ("Deathly", "Driving Sideways", "You Do") turn up on this album again in different (non-acoustic) versions. "Nothing Is Good Enough" is also there, with singing, this time. Basically every track on this album is perfect, my favourites would be "Red Vines" and "Ghost World".

"Lost In Space", her latest album, I don't want to comment yet since I just got it myself a few weeks ago (It's available on a special 2-disc edition including many live tracks).

There's also a so-called "Ultimate Collection" available from 2000 which is more a fan item since it covers only her 1st two albums, but features many unreleased tracks.

IMO, start with "Whatever" and especially "Bachelor #2" and decide if you like to investigate further.

Enjoy.
Old 08-31-04, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 132 Likes on 87 Posts
I agree that they're all worth having, but Magnolia is a decent place to start.

If you like that, then you should check out her last 2 CDs - Lost in Space and Bachelor #2. Bachelor #2 has some songs that are on the Magnolia CD though (so you'll get around 6 or 7 different songs).

If you like the stuff, then jump on her first 2 CDs.
Old 08-31-04, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I suggest Bachelor #2. I think it's her best and it shows the true depth of her songwriting and singing skills. I guarantee you will like this record or your money back.
Old 08-31-04, 09:18 PM
Banned

Old 09-01-04, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I saw Aimee this past Saturday at the Ventura Theater (2nd time) and thoroughly enjoyed the show. If you like songs with somewhat cynical lyrics about how human beings treat each other coupled with sweet melodies and musical hooks that reel you into her corner, then you should venture into you CD store and purchase any one of her 4 CDs (Whatever, I'm With Stupid, Bachelor No. 2, and her latest Lost in Space). Also, stay on the lookout for her new concert DVD "Live at St. Ann's Warehouse" coming out 11/02/04, and a new CD of songs titled "King of the Jailhouse" coming out around the beginning of 2005.

Another great thing about Aimee is that she has bucked the major record labels and released her last 2 CDs on her own record label (SuperEgo Records). As a result, she's been able to record songs that are from her heart and soul, and not tailored for airplay or butchered to become a "hit". After Aimee acrimoniously parted from Geffen, UMG (which bought Geffen I believe) released the "Ultimate Collection" CD without her consent or input and she strongly urges her fans NOT to buy it. Buy the Magnolia soundtrack instead and you won't be missing any of the songs included on the aforementioned "Ultimate" collection.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 09-03-04 at 10:48 PM.
Old 09-03-04, 07:38 AM
Banned

Goddamn that's an ugly broad. She looks like Jen the Gelfling from The Dark Crystal. Talented though.
Old 09-03-04, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Cool to see there are other Aimee fans on the board.

Custom....looks like some of your favorite songs are mine as well. I love the song "You Could Make A Killing" (w/ backing vocals by Juliana Hatfield), "4th of July", "Ghost World" (after hearing the song, I purchased the graphic novel....and loved the film, too).
Old 09-03-04, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 1,351 Likes on 838 Posts
I'd start with these two. They're her best.

Her new album isn't bad, but it's below these two, IMO.

And how stupid and imature to complain about her looks. I, for one, am happy that there are still some female singer/ songwriters who can be successful based on their music, not their appearence.
Old 09-03-04, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Let me also recommend the 'Til Tuesday CD "Coming Up Close". It's a nice retrospective of their 3 albums, concentrating on the 2nd and 3rd albums (those are when Aimee's songwriting skills were really starting to flourish). From top to bottom, it's a really strong compilation.
Old 09-03-04, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Decker
I'd start with these two. They're her best.

Her new album isn't bad, but it's below these two, IMO.

And how stupid and imature to complain about her looks. I, for one, am happy that there are still some female singer/ songwriters who can be successful based on their music, not their appearence.

is save you (or me) from magnolia, only on that soundtrack? and does the soundtrack have any exlusive songs that aren't on any of her other albums?
Old 09-03-04, 06:06 PM

Originally posted by Rivero
Goddamn that's an ugly broad. She looks like Jen the Gelfling from The Dark Crystal. Talented though.
Good job with the misogyny.
Old 09-03-04, 06:13 PM

Yeah you jerk. Why don't you take your mysogyny elsewhere.
Old 09-03-04, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Rypro 525

is save you (or me) from magnolia, only on that soundtrack? and does the soundtrack have any exlusive songs that aren't on any of her other albums?
-Edited to correct facts-

I seem to be one of the few who really appreciate the Lost in Space CD. "Humpty Dumpty" "This is How it Goes", "Real Bad News", "Invisible Ink" and "It's Not" to finish out the album are all amazing compositions. I really can't wait to hear her new songs coming soon.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 09-04-04 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-03-04, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by anglagard
Let me also recommend the 'Til Tuesday CD "Coming Up Close". It's a nice retrospective of their 3 albums, concentrating on the 2nd and 3rd albums (those are when Aimee's songwriting skills were really starting to flourish). From top to bottom, it's a really strong compilation.
Thanks for the recommendation anglagard. I have been tempted to delve into her song catalog from the 'Til Tuesday period, but didn't know where to begin. I also had a suspicion that I would be disappointed when comparing it to her four solo recordings. Could I be wrong?
Old 09-04-04, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 132 Likes on 87 Posts
I seem to be one of the few who really appreciate the Lost in Space CD.
I agree with you.

It really is a fantastic CD. As much as I like Bachelor #2, I found Lost in Space to be even better. The lush sounds, her voice and the writing are top-notch. Very catchy songs too.

The CD is a winner from start to finish.
Old 09-04-04, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 1,351 Likes on 838 Posts
Originally posted by Rypro 525

Actually Save Me is exclusive to the Magnolia soundtrack (though I also have it on the 2002 Grammy Nominee Collection).
The other exclusive songs on the soundtrack are:
One (cover of the Harry Neisson song)
Momentum
Build That Wall
Nothing Is Good Enough (Intrumental)

Bachlor #2 has
Driving Sideways
You Do
Deathly
and a vocal version of Nothing is Good Enough

Wise Up is oringally from the Jerry Maguire soundtrack and is also on The Ultimate Collection (which I bought before I knew Aimee's position on It's OOP anyway).
Old 09-04-04, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the correction Decker.
Old 09-08-04, 10:10 AM

You can listen to all of Lost in Space streamed in Flash, WMA, or realaudio at www.aimeemann.com if you have broadband. Very decent quality.

I listened to that for awhile on my PC at home, which convinced me to buy the CD later.